PDA

View Full Version : Why you should love the Tablet.

D34thD34ler
05-23-2013, 10:07 AM
Full disclosure: I'm pledged for a Pro Tier the day before they sold out and I just went in on the Dungeon tier yesterday before the final stretch goal was announced.

First off I absolutely think faster tablet support will add more value to my experience and yours than any amount of cards from either set.

Do you think your Spectral Lotus Garden or Exclusive card art or cheap boosters are going to be the standard for every player in the game because all of them were in on the Kickstarter? Easier access to the game for a huge number of people will boost the player population and the game popularity far beyond what it could be without this. The sooner that happens the more every other Kickstarter bonus will be worth.

Did you get something exclusive with your pledge? You realize then that the more people who don't have what you do will make it more valuable of course...

A BETA INVITE? I wonder if the fact that you acquired cards during the Beta will go on that cards history? I wonder what kind of value a truly massive community might put on those cards in the future? I can tell you that a small community made only of backers who all had access would likely care less about it.

CHEAP BOOSTERS/DECKS? Good for you. I don't even need to calculate the money you saved yourself but Id like to draw your attention to the fact that you'll probably want to use those cards somehow and that the more people that have an easier time setting up a game the less likely you'll be twiddling your thumbs in non-spellcasting motions when you login.

EXCLUSIVE CARDS? I don't care if they're PvE or not. Like I said before, tablets support will bring a whole slew of casual gamers into our community and some of them will stay. Many of them will not have acquired whatever card your looking for and many of them will want one. A portion of those people will be desperate for them. Some of you reading this will make a killing releasing your Lady Cassandra into the wild again. Others will have a PvE deck that makes newbie tablet tappers shed tears of envious blood. Especially if she's in a Raid Boss deck and they couldn't bribe a Raid Leader into coming along for the ride.

ALTERNATE ART? Funny thing about people is that they value things in ways that aren't predictable purely through economic calculations. I personally don't care much about alternate art I've never seen, or can't compare to whatever it's alternating from. But. . . I put Unholy Strengths with the burning pentagram in the background in all my black decks because I could. I collected foil lands like they'd somehow conspire to give me exactly 4 lands in the top 11 cards of my deck for that perfect power curve. I could've done without them, but some people can't.

EXCLUSIVE MERCENARIES? Will one of these break a valuable raid wide open to you? Will one doom any challengers to your Raid Boss deck similar to the Exclusive cards? Will it push you to the top .5% of the PvE Marathon Tournament boards? It's only an advantage if there is someone else who doesn't have it and you should be sending whispers to sweet Hera that people show up once the Beta's over.

EXCLUSIVE DECK SLEEVES? Admit it, on the cards you already own you didn't just pick these at random. Theme, humor, intimidatingly pure ebony? We all make our choices and we're glad to have more choices than anyone will a week from now.

DIGITAL ART BOOK? It's always fun to drag someone to your computer screen to show them how awesome the art for. . . what? Your friend's attention span didn't stretch all the way to your room? If only you could've shown them on something more mobile.

NAME IN THE CREDITS? Thanks for supporting the game that I want to play. I will personally read every last one of you joker's names when I get the game. And I will appreciate knowing we made it a better game right from the start.

COLLECTOR? See the above. You know why you want them and somewhere out in an ocean of humanity there are other people who will know and love what you have and why you have it.

RAID LEADER? Casual converts need some help against the Raid Boss? What might they pay? How much demand will there be for your assistance? Since at the moment there are only 14 of you I'm guessing that you'll be in pretty high demand especially if the population explodes. Actually. . . PM me if you read this so that my friend request seems more genuine than it will later.

DUNGEON CRAWLER? I'm here with you, if equipment and PvE cards are ever worth anything it'll be because people care. Not just a couple people like us but a lot of people need to care. Once they do however we will be the Masters of Mining. The Founders of Farming, if you will, for this game and if you think $7 dollars a week of free drafts is a big bonus wait until you cut the number of raids to get that $15, $30, $50 dollar card out of Scraptooth's ugly mug in half. Watch your raid momentum pay double dividends in that final encounter. The essence of an MMO economy is scarcity and this is where you find all your hard work paying off double.

GUILD MASTER? Much Like the Raid Leader you should just message me right now. I hope they give you first dibs on naming your guild like they've talked about and I hope that you and my Mercenaries now and to come get to know you well. Also you're already banking on community involvement so you've probably been nodding since the first paragraph of this post. Thanks for putting community first. (Also you might consider banking some of those boosters for later if your friends are bonus hatin' plague rats; someday they might be worth a bundle).

PRO PLAYER? If you're like me, you might be a little disappointed. I'm writing this massive synopsis of why this stretch goal is so good and I still feel it. It's right there next to my min/maxed left ventricle. But seriously, how can one year compare to a lifetime? How old are you? Did you enjoy the time between your last birthday and the one before that? More than all the other time you've been alive? And while obviously you're not going to win the Pro Player tournament ;) you don't even know what the other prizes are or how many of us will walk away with something that nobody has seen yet. A massive pile of boosters? Your whole deck marked with the single rarest tournament placement trophy this game will likely ever have? You did think about that when you got into this tier right?

Or let me just talk to the part of your nervous system that really wants to be the best. That wants to be not just a professional, but THE professional. Start a petition to get your screen name priority. They've talked about how Guild Masters might be able to get their guild name requests in early, why not us? You want everyone to know and fear you when you step into the draft so let's try and make sure you're not stuck with G3n3r1c_1 when your favorite serial killer's nick is already taken.

DRAGON LORD? PRIMAL? IMMORTAL? PRODUCER? You're already beyond the donation point where you're carefully weighing the value of specific bonuses and numbers of boosters. You've entered the territory of the true investor and if you know anything about what that term means you'll appreciate that the lifeblood of this game is other people willing to invest time and money in behind you. Like the Guild Masters before you you already know what I'm saying and you've got you're looking like a Simpsons parody with your steepled fingers and evil cackle-coughing fit as you contemplate the masses of players to hit the scene after you.

In short. Love the tablet. Because anyone who plays this game is your friend and fellow investor.

Anyone who joins this game after you do is investing in YOUR product and raising the value return on every dollar you've invested.

Stok3d
05-23-2013, 10:19 AM
I know this game will go to the masses because of the F2P PVE aspect. I haven't put much emphasis on the whole tablet support--probably because I don't have one and just use my iphone 5 as a phone.

You really think it will be that big of a deal for bringing EVEN MORE ppl?

LexC
05-23-2013, 10:20 AM
What are you trying to say? I don't get this post. This made my head hurt...

[EDIT] WAIT! I get it :D I Finally Ge It!! Please continue

Thrawn
05-23-2013, 10:21 AM
I know this game will go to the masses because of the F2P PVE aspect. I haven't put much emphasis on the whole tablet support--probably because I don't have one and just use my iphone 5 as a phone.

You really think it will be that big of a deal for bringing EVEN MORE ppl?

Around 130 MILLION tablets were sold last year and tablets are expected to out sell desktop machines this year.

It could be a huge deal.

Stok3d
05-23-2013, 10:27 AM
@Thrawn: I'm always a "trust, but verify" kind of guy. After some research, I'm surprised at these numbers. Looks like tablets are going to be huge!

Almost 50 million sold 1st quarter 2013
http://fortunebrainstormtech.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/screen-shot-2013-05-01-at-7-36-52-pm.png?w=615&h=429

Gartner expects that by 2015 unit sales for tablets will hit 337.8 million, while combined desktop and laptop sales will be 292.2 million.: http://news.cnet.com/8301-10915_3-57577944-8/correction-tablet-pc-sales-projections/

Stok3d
05-23-2013, 10:29 AM
Hey Cory, go pitch the top 5 vendors to include Hex on the desktop on all their future Tablets!!!

(and get some bigger servers to handle 100+ million users)

LexC
05-23-2013, 10:33 AM
At this point HEX had contributed to the sales of Tablets, because I'm buying one before the game is out!

maniza
05-23-2013, 10:40 AM
fun read i hope everyone starts to get where crypto was goin with this tablet thing

nicosharp
05-23-2013, 10:45 AM
Tablet access is going to make this game so much more than many people seem to realize right now, and the value add for backing more powerful.

Atomzed
05-23-2013, 10:51 AM
The tablet stretch goal was what I was waiting for, and boy I'm so glad that they put it in. I have friends who will back the project mainly because of the promise for tablet. A lot of the people game only on their tablets now because it's so convenient.

MrCwis
05-23-2013, 10:54 AM
You forgot to include the 1000 Grand kings in your calculations, 14 Raid Leaders and a couple Guild Masters, add a thousand to that number. But yes still valuable

Ashenor
05-23-2013, 12:17 PM
I have a iPad 3 and a Nexus 7, so ready for Tablet support :).

BlindMan
05-23-2013, 12:57 PM
I have a nexus 7 and I love the idea of playing anywhere. Especially with the PvE side of things, you can hop on and play for a short time whenever you want. At this point the only thing I need to do is stop myself from buying a nexus 10.

nekoangel
05-23-2013, 12:57 PM
my lovely tegra 3 asus transformer welcomed that news with open arms, have to agree with everything here.

i mainly got my tablet to over take the usage of my laptop ( if you know what a asus transformer tf300 is you can see why), i even hook it up to my telly via HDMI so i will be playing hex on a big screen soon ;)

we are all going to need internet connections though for tablets when out and about i think =( means ill be using my mobile as a hotspot more than anything hah

KingBlackstone
05-23-2013, 01:02 PM
I have a iPad 3 and a Nexus 7, so ready for Tablet support :).

Which do you like better?

Hadin
05-23-2013, 01:05 PM
my lovely tegra 3 asus transformer welcomed that news with open arms, have to agree with everything here.

i mainly got my tablet to over take the usage of my laptop ( if you know what a asus transformer tf300 is you can see why), i even hook it up to my telly via HDMI so i will be playing hex on a big screen soon ;)

we are all going to need internet connections though for tablets when out and about i think =( means ill be using my mobile as a hotspot more than anything hah

I went with a TF 500 this Fall (because $550 for textbooks, or $700 for tablet + keyboard...) and have been absolutely pleased with it. I can't wait to play Hex on it.

Liokae
05-23-2013, 01:08 PM
Dr. Strangehex, Or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Tablet

Deathfog
05-23-2013, 02:03 PM
This game should work pretty well on a 7 inch tab which can be had for under $100 now with decent hardware inside.