PDA

View Full Version : How to not suck at Drafting

wallofomens
05-23-2013, 10:35 AM
Hey guys. I imagine there are a lot of new players backing HEX as well as players who aren't used to the whole competitive scene surrounding a TCG. I've made a video about in my opinion the most fun and challenging format in any TCG - the Draft.

http://youtu.be/MjZmfPzXUxk

It explains what draft is, how it is played, as well as gives some guidelines for newer players on how they could not suck at drafting. Please let me know what you think! :)

Kroan
05-23-2013, 10:41 AM
The 2nd pack always goes counterclockwise. That's important part of drafting which you totally missed out on. That way you can send signals, which are a big part of getting better at drafting. I suggest you research a bit more and redo the video so that new players don't get confused and/or wrong info. :)

By the way; you repeat "now" and "also" quite a lot at the beginning of almost every second sentence :)

Deathfog
05-23-2013, 10:41 AM
2 real strategies, take the highest rarity card you are allowed each time a pack is presented to you or just pick cards to win the tournament. Your choice between the 2 comes up mostly in the first 9-12 rounds.

KingBlackstone
05-23-2013, 10:42 AM
I didn't like it. Sorry :(

Merir
05-23-2013, 10:44 AM
I think the video was good, even though you missed the fact that 2nd pack goes in the opposite direction. The length was nice, not so long as to bore you but long enough to explain the basics. Keep it up, maybe consider adding some text to go along with your speech in future videos.

wallofomens
05-23-2013, 10:46 AM
The 2nd pack always goes counterclockwise. That's important part of drafting which you totally missed out on. That way you can send signals, which are a big part of getting better at drafting. I suggest you research a bit more and redo the video so that new players don't get confused and/or wrong info. :)

I know very well that the second part is counterclockwise and it's exactly because of new players why I skipped it. It is rather confusing to newer players and unnecessary information at the start. Newer players don't need to concern themselves with signals, this is what comes later, in a much higher level of play. Thank you for your comment! :)

wallofomens
05-23-2013, 10:47 AM
I think the video was good, even though you missed the fact that 2nd pack goes in the opposite direction. The length was nice, not so long as to bore you but long enough to explain the basics. Keep it up, maybe consider adding some text to go along with your speech in future videos.

Thank you for your comment. Again I skipped the 2nd pack going in the opposite direction on purpose. :)

wallofomens
05-23-2013, 10:48 AM
I didn't like it. Sorry :(

That's quite alright! :) If you could tell me why, that'd be great!

Kroan
05-23-2013, 10:50 AM
Not mentioning it doesn't help anyone to be honest. Even new players should try to pick up signals as soon as possible. So I kinda disagree with you :)

wallofomens
05-23-2013, 10:52 AM
Well, so far 2 of you think that I should've mentioned it. While I think that I shouldn't have, it is possible that I might be wrong. If no one else says otherwise, I'll add it to the video. :) Again, thanks for the feedback, it is greatly appreciated!

Kroan
05-23-2013, 10:54 AM
You're welcome, keep it up! :)

sonejidh
05-23-2013, 11:02 AM
I enjoyed the video, even though i have experience in magic using a constructed format with friends i never did a draft game before. It seems like fun, but difficult since you can't choose all the cards you like.

wallofomens
05-23-2013, 11:06 AM
I enjoyed the video, even though i have experience in magic using a constructed format with friends i never did a draft game before. It seems like fun, but difficult since you can't choose all the cards you like.

That IS the fun part! :) Unlike constructed which can get very stale and boring after a while, especially after the meta shapes up, in draft you always end up with a different deck. Now, after drafting the same set for a while you do get to draft somewhat similar deck but then they release a new set and it's all good again! Thank you for your comment!

RobHaven
05-23-2013, 12:07 PM
Can someone give me an explanation of what "signaling" is, exactly? I assume it involves communicating with the people around you by drafting/not drafting certain cards, but I'm failing to get a strong grasp of the concept. An in-depth explanation would be greatly appreciated.

RobHaven
05-24-2013, 06:26 AM
Anyone?

Bueller... Bueller... Bueller... Bueller...

Yasi
05-24-2013, 06:27 AM
Bueller Bueller Bueller Bueller

Fireblast
05-24-2013, 06:34 AM
Basically signals are when you leave in the pack a card that's known to be great.
It means : pick it and play that colour, I won't bother you.

In return the guy you've put on a colour/strategy will leave the cards you want for you different strategy during pack 2 (cause it goes the other way around).

Example :
You open a pack with a great diamond card and a great blood card, you pick one of these and send your neighbour to the other colour, you then have to avoid taking that colour cause otherwise he'd cut you.

If it's not clear let me know.

~

wallofomens
05-24-2013, 06:34 AM
Can someone give me an explanation of what "signaling" is, exactly? I assume it involves communicating with the people around you by drafting/not drafting certain cards, but I'm failing to get a strong grasp of the concept. An in-depth explanation would be greatly appreciated.

"Signaling can mean slightly different things to different people but in general it refers to the process of passing specific cards in a draft in order to indicate to another player what colors you are, or are not, going to be playing."

Here's a very indepth explanation as well:
http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtgcom/daily/sw15

Yasi
05-24-2013, 06:35 AM
Basically signals are when you leave in the pack a card that's known to be great.
It means : pick it and play that colour, I won't bother you.

In return the guy you've put on a colour/strategy will leave the cards you want for you different strategy during pack 2 (cause it goes the other way around).

Example :
You open a pack with a great diamond card and a great blood card, you pick one of these and send your neighbour to the other colour, you then have to avoid taking that colour cause otherwise he'd cut you.

If it's not clear let me know.

~

What the...? Draft seems really complicated to me now. Take it that I've never drafted before because I had no friends. Will this feature be in Hex' draft?

Hexmage
05-24-2013, 06:36 AM
Signaling is basically giving the person next to you information on what color he should be drafting. This is done in 2 ways. First way you leave a strong card in the pack of a certain color "forcing" the player next to you to pick it up. The other way is to not leave cards of certain colors in the pack, so if you get a pack from your neighbor and a color is missing there is a high chance that he's drafting that color. If you than proceed to not touch that color in the 2nd pack you'll probably get pretty good cards back in the third pack.

Yasi
05-24-2013, 06:41 AM
Signaling is basically giving the person next to you information on what color he should be drafting. This is done in 2 ways. First way you leave a strong card in the pack of a certain color "forcing" the player next to you to pick it up. The other way is to not leave cards of certain colors in the pack, so if you get a pack from your neighbor and a color is missing there is a high chance that he's drafting that color. If you than proceed to not touch that color in the 2nd pack you'll probably get pretty good cards back in the third pack.

Why would you want to help out the person next to you though? You mean like "I scratch your back, you scratch mine" sort of deal?

wallofomens
05-24-2013, 06:48 AM
Why would you want to help out the person next to you though? You mean like "I scratch your back, you scratch mine" sort of deal?

You want them to end up in different colors(shards) than you, so they take those cards instead of some cards that you might want to take. That way your deck ends up being better = better chances of winning the draft.

Hexmage
05-24-2013, 06:51 AM
Picking a card that is good for your deck is almost always better than hate drafting a card.
The reason for this is, that you'll most likely see the card that you play more often than that one card you are playing against.
Seeing as there are 7 other players and you only have to play against 3 of those, and than there is still the chance of them never drawing it.

Yasi
05-24-2013, 06:51 AM
You want them to end up in different colors(shards) than you, so they take those cards instead of some cards that you might want to take. That way your deck ends up being better = better chances of winning the draft.

But others wouldn't necessarily want your deck to be any better than theirs right?

It's easier to beat a beginner deck with another beginner deck, than to use a professional deck against a professional deck.

Hexmage
05-24-2013, 06:55 AM
The problem with that train of thought is, that the better player will not hate draft and just make his deck stronger, while you are trying to make his deck weaker while making your own deck weaker. Making your deck stronger is better than making 1 persons deck weaker as there is a chance you'll not have to play him.

PS its nice to see you stopped trolling Yasi

BohemianStalker
05-24-2013, 06:56 AM
But others wouldn't necessarily want your deck to be any better than theirs right?

It's easier to beat a beginner deck with another beginner deck, than to use a professional deck against a professional deck.

try to imagine it like this: there are 8 people at the table and you an person on yor left and right cooperate= 3 cooperating people and the others dont cooperate . Which gives you and 2 others advantage over 5 others. if you wouldnt cooperate somebody else might just gained advantage over you .-) (you would end up in " 5 others group")..but this is just example, generally is better to cooperate in a closed group, if it doesnt cost you anything.

Yasi
05-24-2013, 07:00 AM
try to imagine it like this: there are 8 people at the table and you an person on yor left and right cooperate= 3 cooperating people and the others dont cooperate . Which gives you and 2 others advantage over 5 others. if you wouldnt cooperate somebody else might just gained advantage over you .-) (you would end up in " 5 others group")..but this is just example, generally is better to cooperate in a closed group, if it doesnt cost you anything.

That makes a lot of sense. So it's in everyone's best interest to signal cards because everyone will come out on top AND you're basically shooting yourself in the foot if you choose not to.

I guess I'll be shooting myself in the foot then...

Hexmage
05-24-2013, 07:00 AM
The only time I would hate draft is when there is nothing in my colors or only cards I might consider sideboarding left in the pack for me, and there is still a card in the pack that I consider a high pick myself which is not in my colors.

Yasi
05-24-2013, 07:02 AM
The only time I would hate draft is when there is nothing in my colors or only cards I might consider sideboarding left in the pack for me, and there is still a card in the pack that I consider a high pick myself which is not in my colors.

Goddamn, drafting seems like a pain. Like, you can't really be AFK during drafts. I hope it's as fun as how people are rating it.

Hexmage
05-24-2013, 07:03 AM
You can't really AFK at all during PVP in HEX I think, well you could go to the toilet and get a drink between matches.

MrCwis
05-24-2013, 07:04 AM
While this may be true in magic, from reading the draft articles it doesn't seem to matter as much as there are multiple ways to play each color, so you want to take cards that do a certain aspect. In the Mushwocky deck you want shin'hare making cards, perferably in blood since this will make it easier to play the mushwocky. while the player next to you might also be in blood but playing a zombie deck and be taking all the zombie cards. Obviously there will be some overlap but this will most likely be at the rare level and not affect draft as much. Set one is huge at 350 cards so there is a good chance that multiple people will be drafting the same color but different strategies. If you're the only one drafting a single color there is probably a good reason why no one else is drafting it.

BohemianStalker
05-24-2013, 07:04 AM
exactly...:-)

Hexmage
05-24-2013, 07:08 AM
In magic you could have 2 people next to each other drafting the same color and it wouldn't matter much. But you'd rather have someone next to you who is drafting other colors since it would make the 2nd booster so much better for you. And generally the person who's on the left will get the short end of the stick since he's getting the worst choice of cards for 2 boosters.

Yasi
05-24-2013, 07:10 AM
Set one is huge at 350 cards so there is a good chance that multiple people will be drafting the same color but different strategies. If you're the only one drafting a single color there is probably a good reason why no one else is drafting it.

I never thought of that. I've been assuming that any one color will aim towards one strategy limiting the overall random aspect of drafting. My biggest gripes so far is how balanced it will be when it comes to a certain build. Like for Wild, why do X when Z is much better 100% of the time? I really hope it'll be balanced in that regard.

wallofomens
05-24-2013, 07:20 AM
I never thought of that. I've been assuming that any one color will aim towards one strategy limiting the overall random aspect of drafting. My biggest gripes so far is how balanced it will be when it comes to a certain build. Like for Wild, why do X when Z is much better 100% of the time? I really hope it'll be balanced in that regard.

Because every time you open different cards, and get passed different cards too. Inheritly TCGs are games of luck and randomness. There will always be some strategies in draft that are better than others but it doesn't mean that you can go for the better ones 100% of the time. Sometimes you pick different ones and it comes down a bit of luck as well as player skill to win you the games.

Hexmage
05-24-2013, 07:23 AM
Up to a certain level drafting is self balancing. If one color is weaker it will be drafted less, making it easier to get more cards in that color. But yeah if there is a design mistake in there somewhere it could just make things stupid. I remember some cards that should have been either more expensive or a higher rarity in magic (Umezawa's Jitte, Pack Rat and Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief are some good examples)

Tinuvas
05-24-2013, 07:24 AM
My biggest gripes so far is how balanced it will be when it comes to a certain build. Like for Wild, why do X when Z is much better 100% of the time? I really hope it'll be balanced in that regard.

Balance. Oh precious balance. That one thing is and always has been one of the biggest concerns of TCG designers everywhere. Crypto is on top of this I am sure. They have mentioned the effort that they are putting into this regularly. I'm not concerned.

MrCwis
05-24-2013, 07:27 AM

I think in this aspect the rares you pick will kinda define your deck, In the feed the mushwocky article Tim drafted what sounds like a mid-range blood deck because his first rare was the Mushwocky which sounds like an awesome card if you can produce alot of shin'hare and will completely destroy anything if you get a chance to attack with it after sacing a couple rabbits, while in the live feed the Orc deck was a bit more of a control deck that used Pact of Pain and Life siphon in more of a control deck, both are rares so the chance of getting both in a draft in slim but, pact of pain with some good lifedrain cards would give a great card advantage to control blood decks. Then there are zombies which look like they could shape up into quite a good aggro deck if the right bomb is in pack one.

I think we really need to step away from the MtG color pie for this one, and instead focus on the different races since it seems like each race has it's own play style, and is only slightly molded by the colors they lay in. Signaling will probably still be important but instead of being I'm playing Blood or Diamond, it's going to be I'm playing Shin'hare or I'm playing humans.

Hexmage
05-24-2013, 07:39 AM
I think we really need to step away from the MtG color pie for this one, and instead focus on the different races since it seems like each race has it's own play style, and is only slightly molded by the colors they lay in. Signaling will probably still be important but instead of being I'm playing Blood or Diamond, it's going to be I'm playing Shin'hare or I'm playing humans.

Don't think this is completely true. From what I can tell you can either draft a race for synergy or you can draft a color. And as an example the Human race ability Inspire doesn't require your troops to be Humans. So you can avoid drafting a race and just focus in colors.

wallofomens
05-24-2013, 07:46 AM
I think in this aspect the rares you pick will kinda define your deck, In the feed the mushwocky article Tim drafted what sounds like a mid-range blood deck because his first rare was the Mushwocky which sounds like an awesome card if you can produce alot of shin'hare and will completely destroy anything if you get a chance to attack with it after sacing a couple rabbits, while in the live feed the Orc deck was a bit more of a control deck that used Pact of Pain and Life siphon in more of a control deck, both are rares so the chance of getting both in a draft in slim but, pact of pain with some good lifedrain cards would give a great card advantage to control blood decks. Then there are zombies which look like they could shape up into quite a good aggro deck if the right bomb is in pack one.

That's not entirely true, though. While some archetypes(or tribes if you will) like dwarfs, shin'hare are somewhat dependant on other cards from the archetype that's not true for others. For example Humans have the inspire mechanic. Inspire cards are not better with other inspire cards. I can be playing a Ruby/Blood deck with some Inspire cards in it, with some Rage cards in it and some cards that don't have a specific tribe or mechanic tied to them. What do I signal to my opponent then? I think that the archetypes you are referring to are more like what Metalcraft or Infect were in Scars of Mirrodin or what Populate, Evolve, etc are in Return to Ravnica.

MrCwis
05-24-2013, 08:02 AM
Also don't forget about socketable cards and the varity they can offer to all deck that are lucky enough to pick a couple up. With all their different forms you never really know what you might be passing away

wallofomens
05-24-2013, 08:12 AM
Well you kind of know what you are passing. Just not exactly what. :D

MrCwis
05-24-2013, 08:25 AM
Well you kind of know what you are passing. Just not exactly what. :D

true you're pasing one of 10(20 for major) possibly cards with a higher possibly of the 2(4) in the same color

Dralon
05-24-2013, 08:36 AM
Just wanted to compliment you Wallofomens on the great videos. I have enjoyed them. Keep up the great work.

wallofomens
05-24-2013, 08:41 AM
Just wanted to compliment you Wallofomens on the great videos. I have enjoyed them. Keep up the great work.

It is my absolute pleasure, and thank you for the kind words! :)

Voices
05-24-2013, 10:00 AM
Wallofomens, thanks for the video. I think you should use more text in the video to highlight each individual point you're making. Such as, for instance, that the deck should be, as you say, 'focused'. More visual stuff in the video also makes it more of a... video. Just some things to consider :)

wallofomens
05-24-2013, 10:57 AM
Wallofomens, thanks for the video. I think you should use more text in the video to highlight each individual point you're making. Such as, for instance, that the deck should be, as you say, 'focused'. More visual stuff in the video also makes it more of a... video. Just some things to consider :)

I'll definitely keep that in mind for future videos. Thank you for your comment! :)

Deciphered
05-24-2013, 11:15 AM
As an aside, regarding signaling:

Signaling isn't just something you will be doing consciously. Every card you pick or do not pick will be sending signals around the table to the other players. In fact, if you are just trying to draft your best deck, you will often be sending strong and beneficial signals as a side effect.

For example: Your first 4 picks have put you pretty strongly into a Wild deck, and you're feeling pretty good about your draft. Then a very powerful Ruby uncommon card gets passed to you. It doesn't really fit with what you are planning to do with your deck, but you could take it and splash it in. It is powerful enough that it might be worthwhile, and hey, you wouldn't mind having an extra copy of the card to own after the tournament either. Alternately, in the same pack is a common that fits the theme of your deck very strongly. It might not, by itself, be as strong as the Ruby uncommon card, but as part of your deck? Yeah, it is pretty good. So, you take the common that matches your deck better and pass the pack. You weren't even thinking about signaling, but you just told your neighbor that you are almost certainly not playing a Ruby deck, since just about anyone who could justify it would have taken that Ruby card to add to their deck. Similarly, he has seen you pass fewer and fewer cards that match the theme that you have been going for.

Now, in subsequent rounds, he's more likely to be drafting Ruby, since he knows he won't have to be fighting you for cards. And he's less likely to be drafting Wild cards, not because he feels like being nice to you in exchange for your signals or whatever, but because he knows it will be foolish to go into Wild when you're going to be snatching up everything Wild you can get your hands on before it gets to him in round 1 and 3.

So, signaling: you're going to be doing it whether or not you mean to. But it is good to have an understanding of what you are doing, and what your opponents are doing, so you can maybe get your conscious mind involved in close cases.

Drafting is a great way to play a TCG, I'm very glad that Hex will lend itself well to drafting (not every card game does).

madar
05-24-2013, 04:37 PM
I felt it as good information, but the speech itself was not the best. For me you talk a bit fast (if someone listening who have english as second language AND getting new information what should understand, have to stop the playback and go back to listen again). And yes, a bit too much "now" and "also" plus a bit too much "TV news" style with the voice (when they trying to show everything as sensation).
There is for example some good world of warcraft bosskill tactic videos, when the narrator not trying to entertain and play with voice, just giving out the information clearly and understable.
You should try to talk as the teacher in the school :) It would help for the people who is the target of this video.

wallofomens
05-24-2013, 05:17 PM
I felt it as good information, but the speech itself was not the best. For me you talk a bit fast (if someone listening who have english as second language AND getting new information what should understand, have to stop the playback and go back to listen again). And yes, a bit too much "now" and "also" plus a bit too much "TV news" style with the voice (when they trying to show everything as sensation).
There is for example some good world of warcraft bosskill tactic videos, when the narrator not trying to entertain and play with voice, just giving out the information clearly and understable.
You should try to talk as the teacher in the school :) It would help for the people who is the target of this video.

A very thorough comment. Thank you, I'll try to work on those things! :)

Aaric
05-24-2013, 05:30 PM

Something's wrong with the color of this text...

Talreth
05-24-2013, 06:13 PM

You mean like the vanilla blood zombie that's like a 2/1 for 2? That's literally worthless compared to other 2 cost blood cards, and we haven't even seen them all.

wallofomens
05-24-2013, 06:22 PM
You mean like the vanilla blood zombie that's like a 2/1 for 2? That's literally worthless compared to other 2 cost blood cards, and we haven't even seen them all.

They could've made it a 2/2 so it can feel like a true bear (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=129586&type=card)! Now he is just a sad goblin (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=221199&type=card)... :( Still a decent curve filler and would probably see lots of play in draft.

Talreth
05-24-2013, 06:33 PM
They could've made it a 2/2 so it can feel like a true bear (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=129586&type=card)! Now he is just a sad goblin (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=221199&type=card)... :( Still a decent curve filler and would probably see lots of play in draft.

Their other curve fillers at the 2 slot are literally miles ahead. I would honestly splash to fill a 2 slot because it's so bad. I mean you have pile of bones which isn't that great but still can generate some card advantage. Zombie plague is another good 2 drop that will give your deck really strong mid to late game power. Scourge knight also gives you good card advantage if you can get the proc. Blood harbinger is good even as a 1 of if you can trick the opponent into thinking you have more (also it's a 3/1 for 2). You can build around pact of pain at the 2 slot a lot more than mangled zombie. The only thing mangled zombie has going for it is that it is a zombie (if zombie tribal is a thing) and the 1 blood threshold so it's easier to splash. But otherwise the other 2 drops are ridiculously better.

wallofomens
05-24-2013, 07:04 PM
Their other curve fillers at the 2 slot are literally miles ahead. I would honestly splash to fill a 2 slot because it's so bad. I mean you have pile of bones which isn't that great but still can generate some card advantage. Zombie plague is another good 2 drop that will give your deck really strong mid to late game power. Scourge knight also gives you good card advantage if you can get the proc. Blood harbinger is good even as a 1 of if you can trick the opponent into thinking you have more (also it's a 3/1 for 2). You can build around pact of pain at the 2 slot a lot more than mangled zombie. The only thing mangled zombie has going for it is that it is a zombie (if zombie tribal is a thing) and the 1 blood threshold so it's easier to splash. But otherwise the other 2 drops are ridiculously better.

Maybe you missed the fact that I was talking about draft. :) Scourge Knight is PvE, Blood Harbinger is rare so you will very rarely even have him, almost never more than one, and the Bone Warrior is very comparable in power level but can be worse in certain decks. As for PvE or constructed PvP, I would never play Mangled Zombie there! :)

(also, splashing for a low drop creature is not a very good idea, since you can't reliably draw a splashed resource that early, and low drops are quite useless late game, when you can)

Talreth
05-24-2013, 07:08 PM
Maybe you missed the fact that I was talking about draft. :) Scourge Knight is PvE, Blood Harbinger is rare so you will very rarely even have him, almost never more than one, and the Bone Warrior is very comparable in power level but can be worse in certain decks. As for PvE or constructed PvP, I would never play Mangled Zombie there! :)

(also, splashing for a low drop creature is not a very good idea, since you can't reliably draw a splashed resource that early, and low drops are quite useless late game, when you can)

Okay I'll grant you that, also apparently zombie plague is legendary. However, I feel like mangled zombie would still be 10-15 pick.

Corpselocker
05-24-2013, 08:14 PM
B.R.E.A.D., mana curve, and signaling = the three concepts a new drafter needs to read and heed. No video required :)

MasterPlan
05-24-2013, 11:41 PM
As an aside, regarding signaling:

Signaling isn't just something you will be doing consciously. Every card you pick or do not pick will be sending signals around the table to the other players. In fact, if you are just trying to draft your best deck, you will often be sending strong and beneficial signals as a side effect.

For example: Your first 4 picks have put you pretty strongly into a Wild deck, and you're feeling pretty good about your draft. Then a very powerful Ruby uncommon card gets passed to you. It doesn't really fit with what you are planning to do with your deck, but you could take it and splash it in. It is powerful enough that it might be worthwhile, and hey, you wouldn't mind having an extra copy of the card to own after the tournament either. Alternately, in the same pack is a common that fits the theme of your deck very strongly. It might not, by itself, be as strong as the Ruby uncommon card, but as part of your deck? Yeah, it is pretty good. So, you take the common that matches your deck better and pass the pack. You weren't even thinking about signaling, but you just told your neighbor that you are almost certainly not playing a Ruby deck, since just about anyone who could justify it would have taken that Ruby card to add to their deck. Similarly, he has seen you pass fewer and fewer cards that match the theme that you have been going for.

Now, in subsequent rounds, he's more likely to be drafting Ruby, since he knows he won't have to be fighting you for cards. And he's less likely to be drafting Wild cards, not because he feels like being nice to you in exchange for your signals or whatever, but because he knows it will be foolish to go into Wild when you're going to be snatching up everything Wild you can get your hands on before it gets to him in round 1 and 3.

So, signaling: you're going to be doing it whether or not you mean to. But it is good to have an understanding of what you are doing, and what your opponents are doing, so you can maybe get your conscious mind involved in close cases.

Drafting is a great way to play a TCG, I'm very glad that Hex will lend itself well to drafting (not every card game does).

Clear and interesting explanation Thank you!