PDA

View Full Version : Opening your Packs

MrCwis
05-23-2013, 12:45 PM
Okay so how many people are just going to open their packs as soon as beta starts? Who's going to use them for drafts? Who's going to use them for sealeed, assuming there is sealed play? or a combination?

I'm planning to open atleast some right off the bat to see what I can pull for use in PVE then probably us the rest for draft and the like.

Truhls
05-23-2013, 12:46 PM
im going to open about 250/300 packs and save the rest of my 1650 for extra drafts.

Lochar
05-23-2013, 12:49 PM
Exactly how many King's did you buy?

Turtlewing
05-23-2013, 12:50 PM
I'm probably going to open them right away. I expect my one free draft a week to be plenty of limited play for my tastes (I prefer constructed).

But 300+ is a lot of packs and I might pace myself somewhat.

KaosRebel666
05-23-2013, 12:52 PM
I will open as many as I need to!

Jotora
05-23-2013, 12:52 PM
I'm probably going to open them right away. I expect my one free draft a week to be plenty of limited play for my tastes (I prefer constructed).

But 150+ is a lot of packs and I might pace myself somewhat.I'm in the same boat, and suspect I will also enjoy constructed more. But I think I'll set aside a good portion of the boosters to have a few months of TWO drafts per week! :p

Daer
05-23-2013, 12:53 PM
I plan to play around with the starter decks for a bit then I'll probably do a few drafts, then I'll open 50-100 packs.

Yasi
05-23-2013, 12:54 PM
There better be an auto feature because manually opening 600 boosters on 2 accounts is going to suck.

jai151
05-23-2013, 12:54 PM
Hoping they'll have mini-master in at launch, in which case I'll probably run around 100 hands of that with friends

Gen91
05-23-2013, 12:55 PM
It depends on if I get a King additionally to my Gk or not,
but I would like to open boosters till I have one of every card.

nearlysober
05-23-2013, 12:55 PM
Probably going to open the vast majority of mine cuz I really like constructed... maybe save about 30 for drafting.

With Grand King I'll have a free draft per week, plus a few free drafts to start... and then, the cost is so low I don't mind throwing a little money when I want to draft.

Hadin
05-23-2013, 12:57 PM
Right now I'm assuming I'll open about half of mine. I don't know how many half will be since I'm considering throwing a GK on two accounts (partly because my girlfriend finds the idea of playing a shitload of bunnies amusing, partly because I find the idea of dual-boxing a raid to be glorious). If I decide to do that I'm going to buy another king because I want to do what I can to push this game to 1.5 mil so I can use my tablet.

wallofomens
05-23-2013, 01:05 PM
As in MTGO, I would never open a booster just like that.

About 80% of my boosters will go into drafting.
And about 20% will go into sealed. Probably.

Lidralyn
05-23-2013, 01:11 PM
I will most likely open all of my primals, then open 200 or so boosters to jump start the constructed, then draft a lot. With 9 free drafts and 3 a week I won't need to save any for drafting, but I may end up keeping packs to sell once the game launches. I don't see them being worth much in beta, but at launch they may be worth a decent amount more.

Then from there on with new sets I will keep doing the drafts per week and open all primals I pop from draft winnings, and sell off all the packs I win to fill in the holes I Need for constructed decks that I can't find from drafting.

ShaolinRaven
05-23-2013, 01:21 PM
I love building a collection. So I'll open all of mine trying to complete a full set. If I get a full set before I open all of them, the rest will go to drafts or sealed. For drafting I'll probably play a limited drafting and just draft with my free weekly drafts until Hex is out of beta, but we'll see.

Googolplex
05-23-2013, 01:31 PM
Its possible to keep your packs closed ?

Gwaer
05-23-2013, 01:33 PM

Yep, and to trade your packs or sell them on the ah for gold or plat

MrCwis
05-23-2013, 01:36 PM

Ya there is this special ability call self restraint, not many people posses it though.

Lochar
05-23-2013, 01:38 PM
Ya there is this special ability call self restraint, not many people posses it though.

It's a Legendary ability. I don't think anyone's drawn it yet, so keep opening packs until you find it.

Hadin
05-23-2013, 01:39 PM
It's a Legendary ability. I don't think anyone's drawn it yet, so keep opening packs until you find it.

They should offer it as a kickstarter exclusive bonus, that way anyone who gets into the game later will be trapped.

Turtlewing
05-23-2013, 01:41 PM

I think I've figured out why you haven't found it yet.

FireBomberSeven
05-23-2013, 01:41 PM
I'll probably keep atleast half of mine for drafting, open a few of them if I'm feeling lucky, and the rest go into the Guild bank as prizes for tournaments between guildies.

Lochar
05-23-2013, 01:42 PM
I think I've figured out why you haven't found it yet.

I know, I know. I just need more boosters. I'll get it eventually.

ShaolinRaven
05-23-2013, 01:42 PM

I think its less about self restraint and more about priorities.

If your priority is drafting/sealed you probably don't want to open most of your packs
If your priority is constructed, PvE, or collecting, you probably will open the majority if not all of your packs
If you have a mix then your pack opened percentage will reflect that.

LordxMugen
05-23-2013, 01:44 PM
im opening half for myself and use the other half for draft since if you win draft tournaments that means more packs, which means more drafts or better rares,etc.

SacrificialToast
05-23-2013, 07:52 PM
I'll probably open 20-30 after playing around with the starter decks. Then I'll use a bunch as bait to get friends to play with me, and save the rest for drafting, assuming I enjoy it. It certainly sounds like a fun format, but I've never played any TCGs at more than a casual level.

djlowballer
05-23-2013, 08:00 PM
I'll open almost none. Card prices should have stabilized a bit by the time I learn all of the starter decks and get a feel for the developing meta for set 1. I'll trade/sell boosters I need to build some decks and use the rest to draft more than 1x per week.

OysterPrime
05-23-2013, 08:46 PM
I'll probably open 20-30 after playing around with the starter decks. Then I'll use a bunch as bait to get friends to play with me, and save the rest for drafting, assuming I enjoy it. It certainly sounds like a fun format, but I've never played any TCGs at more than a casual level.
I plan on doing something similar to this. I'll open a decent amount, use the guild code to give friends 30 packs each, and save the vast majority for drafting.

Kalius
05-23-2013, 09:24 PM
I'm going to split my packs 3 ways(probably not evenly though). Some for drafting, some just opened, and the rest will sit around to pass out to friends that want to try the game out, get them a few packs when they start.

Tyrfang
05-23-2013, 09:24 PM
Buy tickets.
Spam constructed or draft.

TheDiv
05-23-2013, 09:26 PM
I made a spreadsheet. Because it's Friday and I'm bored at work.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtXlIS0Z26JldGt4T0tIM1k0cnhabUk0NV9Ld2JDL Wc&usp=sharing

I'll be opening 50 boosters on Day 1 :D

maniza
05-23-2013, 09:37 PM
i will feel like christmas on beta launch day hope i can stop my self from opening all the packs!!! im planing on 50

SacrificialToast
05-23-2013, 09:37 PM

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtXlIS0Z26JldGt4T0tIM1k0cnhabUk0NV9Ld2JDL Wc&usp=sharing

I'll be opening 50 boosters on Day 1 :D

Hm, but I imagine that within a year you'll be drafting from future sets right? Will you really need all those boosters?

TheDiv
05-23-2013, 09:39 PM
Hm, but I imagine that within a year you'll be drafting from future sets right? Will you really need all those boosters?

Yeah, I just remembered I forgot to factor in new sets. I'll do so once we have a better understanding of how often and when new sets will be released.

Ebynfel
05-23-2013, 09:43 PM
i personally plan on drafting like a madman weeks 1-2 perhaps, opening about half of what i have left, and stashing the remaining for a rainy day, like a day after set one rotates

Jotora
05-23-2013, 09:49 PM

I'll be opening 50 boosters on Day 1 :DThat's awesome! I plan on doing exactly that (a year's worth of subscriptions with about 2 drafts per week). And I wanted to open 50 exactly (plus the Primal) on day one to have a sizeable pool to draw from for constructed events.

Glad to know it's not a stupid thing to do--haha.

That said, I might not open 50 on day one, but we'll see.

KeplerVerge
05-23-2013, 10:08 PM
I'll probably open ~150 and save the remainder for draft/sealed. MTGO used to have fire on demand, no entry fee(with packs) 4 pack sealed (30 card deck minimum) which was one of my favorite things to do.

LeMazing
05-23-2013, 11:37 PM
I'll be opening my Primal pack, and probably a dozen or so regular packs (I'd rather open 0 outside of drafts, but forget that, I'm excited).

And then the rest will go towards drafts, possibly trade fodder if I get an organized pve or pvp deck and need a few more rares.

Khazrakh
05-23-2013, 11:56 PM
I'd never ever just open a pack. On average you lose a lot of value by just opening it. I'll use most of them to draft over and over again and sell the rest to pay for the cards I'll need for constructed play.

TheDiv
05-24-2013, 05:16 AM
I'd never ever just open a pack. On average you lose a lot of value by just opening it. I'll use most of them to draft over and over again and sell the rest to pay for the cards I'll need for constructed play.

It would depend on the drafting rewards and your own skill level wouldn't it? As in addition to the boosters you still need to front $1, so as long as on average you receive an additional $1 value from participating in a draft, then it could not be worth it.

Yasi
05-24-2013, 06:16 AM
I might as well open all 1200 of my reward boosters...I don't like PvP that much to begin with.

MrCwis
05-24-2013, 06:52 AM
It would depend on the drafting rewards and your own skill level wouldn't it? As in addition to the boosters you still need to front $1, so as long as on average you receive an additional $1 value from participating in a draft, then it could not be worth it.

This is very true, but it looks like with the setup of different draft leagues, like competitive and casual and the different prize support layouts that it may be worth it for a lot of the "not so good" players still to have a chance of winning something. Then again you'll need to have the time to draft and should enjoy doing it. I know alot of PVE players will probably just rip all the packs open or trade them for cards that they want.

Yasi
05-24-2013, 06:55 AM
This is very true, but it looks like with the setup of different draft leagues, like competitive and casual and the different prize support layouts that it may be worth it for a lot of the "not so good" players still to have a chance of winning something. Then again you'll need to have the time to draft and should enjoy doing it. I know alot of PVE players will probably just rip all the packs open or trade them for cards that they want.

Aren't there some free drafts that gives out prizes? Contrary to the whole "drafts will mostly be occupied by experienced players," I think the free ones will be more active.

Hexmage
05-24-2013, 07:05 AM
There will probably be different pay outs for drafts. Something like 8-4 (first gets 8 2nd gets 4) and 4-3-2-2 (First gets 4 2nd gets 3, 3rd and 4th get 2). Making the better players go for the 8-4s

Yasi
05-24-2013, 07:07 AM
There will probably be different pay outs for drafts. Something like 8-4 (first gets 8 2nd gets 4) and 4-3-2-2 (First gets 4 2nd gets 3, 3rd and 4th get 2). Making the better players go for the 8-4s

Did they mention whether the prizes will be ingame currency, boosters, or whatever? I'm assuming only the paid one will give out boosters? What are the usual prizes in real life drafts?

ramseytheory
05-24-2013, 07:22 AM
I'll be opening about 50-100 of my boosters immediately to try and get a feel for the set, then probably saving the rest for draft and sealed unless constructed really grabs me.

nylian
05-24-2013, 07:24 AM
Did they mention whether the prizes will be ingame currency, boosters, or whatever? I'm assuming only the paid one will give out boosters? What are the usual prizes in real life drafts?

RL Drafts are typically 8-4 or 4322 as described to you.

Yasi
05-24-2013, 07:27 AM
RL Drafts are typically 8-4 or 4322 as described to you.

I've never played any TCGs competitively. These numbers mean nothing to me.

FranzVonG
05-24-2013, 07:43 AM
I will have 220 boosters to open, + 8 decks + 4 boosters a week for life (1 VIP + 3 from draft).

I will surely open and disband 7 decks out of 8, that should give me a decent base to start, more or less 280 cards I suppose (once removed the resources). I will then begin to open boosters, and keep going as long as I find new uncommons. From previous experiences, I'd say that I will stop somewhere between 40 to 50, leaving me other 170 boosters to sell or keep there to be opened later when bored (I don't think I'll use them for drafts tournaments too much, as I like to play competitively and I often skip rares there to pick commons and uncommons that really fit my draft deck).

Btw, this is one of the reasons why I don't really like how CZE is managing the Kickstarter campaign, from the Champion tier up we already have more than enough boosters to begin with and don't need so many cards (we'll just buy singles when necessary to fill the deck).. I would prefere them adding new functionalities and content instead of just giving more gifts to the backers.

MastrFett
05-24-2013, 08:11 AM
I've never done any draft games in any TCG, or really anything other than constructed. I guess this game is as good a place to start as any. It seems fun, but I feel like I don't know enough about TCGs to jump into drafting. I don't know how many packs I will open right away, but I feel like a bunch to get an idea of what good decks would like like, but maybe I'll save quite a bit to give drafting a try.

I feel like such a noob. I've never played any TCG seriously. I've always wanted to but either didn't have people to play with, or couldn't get to the events. Most of my time has been devoted to buying lots of intro decks and just playing with those.

Yasi
05-24-2013, 08:16 AM
I've never done any draft games in any TCG, or really anything other than constructed. I guess this game is as good a place to start as any. It seems fun, but I feel like I don't know enough about TCGs to jump into drafting. I don't know how many packs I will open right away, but I feel like a bunch to get an idea of what good decks would like like, but maybe I'll save quite a bit to give drafting a try.

I feel like such a noob. I've never played any TCG seriously. I've always wanted to but either didn't have people to play with, or couldn't get to the events. Most of my time has been devoted to buying lots of intro decks and just playing with those.

That's understandable. I'm sure there are a lot of people in the same situation as you. Luckily there is a free draft people can attend every 4 hours? that lets you experiment with drafting. Cryptozoic got you covered brother. Don't worry too much and just let it happen.

nylian
05-24-2013, 09:23 AM
I've never played any TCGs competitively. These numbers mean nothing to me.
Apologies Yasi,

4-3-2-2 Is the packs that are given to 1st 2nd 3rd & 4th (respectively)place in a draft.
8-4 Means that 1st place gets 8 packs, and second place gets 4.

Follow? :D

Tathel
05-24-2013, 09:50 AM
Let's see i'm champion, So first i'll probably fool around with starter decks for a bit to get a feel for what i already have for sure.

At champion I should be getting (i think) 85 + 5 from stretch + (1 a week for 3 months[vip] so 12?) =
92 normal + 1 primal +5 of set 2

So I will probably open 10 after messing around with starters and fool around a bit more with that.

Then probably start drafting maybe 41 packs for drafts (cause drafting is one of my favorite types of play)

I'm going to keep aside 16 packs for when set 2 comes out (for mixed drafts)

So that leaves like - 25, which will be based on my experiences up to that point in the game.
Depending on how i'm liking drafting maybe there, depending on what my constructed side is looking like (and how the market is) maybe trade for stuff I need / straight open. Depending on how reasonable it is to dump money in for boosters vs specific cards.
Also depending on how CZE plans on selling packs after new sets rotate in might look at saving more for later.

Have they said if they are going to have any form of primal pack drafting? (like 2 normal 1 primal?)

And also hopefully i win a few from draft or tourney ^_^

Talreth
05-24-2013, 09:51 AM
Free draft every four hours? Lynx please Chu Chu <3

Tyrfang
05-24-2013, 10:09 AM
I'd laugh if, after days of contemplating the exact number of how many drafts to perform a week, you got like 3 dozen primal packs, throwing off your calculations entirely.

Tathel
05-24-2013, 10:24 AM
I'd laugh if, after days of contemplating the exact number of how many drafts to perform a week, you got like 3 dozen primal packs, throwing off your calculations entirely.

Haha, it'd be a wonderful problem to have!

Jotora
05-24-2013, 10:33 AM
Yeah, I know I wouldn't complain. :)

MastrFett
05-24-2013, 11:20 AM
Do primal packs look different from regular packs, or does it just happen to be that you open your pack and it is all rares and legendary?

jai151
05-24-2013, 11:21 AM
Do primal packs look different from regular packs, or does it just happen to be that you open your pack and it is all rares and legendary?

They will be visually distinct. That way you have the option of selling the pack unopened if you wish

MastrFett
05-24-2013, 11:28 AM
They will be visually distinct. That way you have the option of selling the pack unopened if you wish
Ahh that makes sense. Well I know I'm opening mine :)

Jinuyr
05-24-2013, 11:29 AM
I am going to draft until I open all the packs that way. That's at least 50 drafts for my first Dragon Lord tier.

Hibbert
05-24-2013, 11:39 AM
Instead of drafts, I'll probably be using a lot of my initial packs for sealed. If I just jump into drafts, I'll be torn between drafting the cards I need for my deck vs. the cards I need for my collection. Starting out with a sealed will give me a chance to open my packs and build my collection while still having a chance to win prizes. Plus, I've had a lot more experience with sealed than draft. The only limited tournaments I've been to have been MTG prerelease events where the main tournament is sealed.

NaryaDL0re
05-24-2013, 12:01 PM
Personally I dont plan to open any booster outside of draft.
Not only is draft the most fun for me (though I enjoy contructed too),
its also a much higher EV for me.

Seeing that for the low cost of 1P you gain the chance of not only opening your 3 packs,
but also winning a LOT more packs. I m one of those guys that makes profit on MTGO
with constructed as well as limited in the 8-4 queues and premier events.

So it would be bonkers to open them. In short = I plan to make more boosters than I lose
and sell the rest or keep them until they go out of print so I can have an early rent ;P.

Facilier
05-24-2013, 12:05 PM
I am probably going to pop open most of the packs to build decks for PvE, and have enough for both myself and my friends to get started.