PDA

View Full Version : Idea for Multiple Guilds

Wolver_the_Zeta
05-23-2013, 02:58 PM
I was thinking about how Guilds should work in the game and had a suggestion. I think Accounts should be able to be in more than one guild at a time. I don't want to be unable to be in a small casual guild with my friends, because I'm in a Raid based PvE guild.

I don't think that other people would want to be limited to PvP/PvE focused guilds either. I'm thinking that we'll see four basic types of guilds pop up right away, PvE, PvP draft, PvP constructed, Casual. If someone wants to get the benefits of practicing against the current top standard decks in a guild against top PvP players, why shouldn't they also be able to be in a PvE guild on the side?

In modern MMOs you are in one guild, but are limited for that character. You can have multiple characters to an account and thus have multiple guilds per account. This leads to people having a 'raid build', 'PvP build' and some mule/casual characters to play with friends. All the items/gold can pool easily and you don't care about EXP unless you are focused on getting that character up. Here, we are going to have one account with all the cards together that is just jumping between different PvP games or PvE content. To reflect the difference, we should be able to jump in and out of different guild chat/channels depending on your current goal.

Does anyone else feel the same way?

Kami
05-23-2013, 03:02 PM
It's a good idea in theory but I don't think it would work with the mechanics of the game as it is. Especially with guild bonuses, guild bank, and other guild specific features.

Brumby66
05-23-2013, 03:03 PM
Then it wouldn't be a guild, it would be a linkshell.

MrCwis
05-23-2013, 03:10 PM
Ya, no this wouldn't be a guild anymore. also the guild banks and bonuses wouldn't matter since you would just join on that had a guild master in it.

Wolver_the_Zeta
05-23-2013, 03:10 PM
With Guild Bonuses, you could make it only activate for one guild. You'd have to choose. If two people have the Guild Leader bonus and are in the same guild, only one is going to work, so the other is just wasted.

As far as Guild Banks, we still haven't seen what the plan is, but if you can put cards into the bank, you can restrict it that a card can only be in one guild bank. Again, if two people in the guild have a full set of card X then only four are needed in the bank for Guild play.

Digital_Aether
05-23-2013, 03:14 PM
Guild Wars 2 did multi-guilds, where you chose which one you wanted to represent. I could see the allure of having a serious PvP group you want to rank with (there are guild tournaments and whatnot now), and having another that's local friends or more social. Maybe instead of multi-guild, have a less formal and less featured 'team' system (without guild perks like bank and xp bonus)? Different chat channel, different organization structure, but to retain the social and competitive aspects that are good with guilds? It's an interesting point either way.

Tyrfang
05-23-2013, 09:15 PM
I think that multi-guilds would only work if they also created guild-size limits.

Gwaer
05-23-2013, 09:17 PM
I like the team idea, I dislike the GW2 guild system, most guilds are always complaining when you don't represent 100% of the time. Blech

Shrennan
05-23-2013, 09:39 PM
I approve allowing for multiple guilds - although a limit on the amount of guilds that one can join or create should be restricted (like say, 3 would be a reasonable limit). Choosing to represent a guild when dealing with PVP or whatever is one way of handling it (like Guild Wars 2) or perhaps having an option to choose which aspect of the guild that the player wants to deal with in respect to that guild so they choose...say...PVE or PVP which means that the guild will always be represented on PVP assuming it was a PVP type guild.

The social aspect needs to be expanded beyond the current guild system in many MMOs. Guild Wars 2 found an innovation that works with them and it could work with Cryptozoic as well although I think a better solution is for Crypto to think of an idea that works well with the TCG idea but also doesn't restrict any one player to one specific guild. Perhaps create a group system, a guild system, and other systems that would be related and permanent but they would have different functions and purposes?

Pezzle
05-23-2013, 09:45 PM
One guild. If the guild you are in does not support what you are playing the game for, leave it and join another! You could also band with your friends and form your own. Or, maybe the type of guild is not a big deal (it isn't).

Yasi
05-23-2013, 11:07 PM
I hope making a guild doesn't cost $10 and $1 for an extra slot or something ridiculous.

Avedecus
05-23-2013, 11:23 PM
Not a fan of multi-guilds. Was awful in GW2.

Auriok
05-24-2013, 12:21 AM
i dont like multi-guilds.

Daer
05-24-2013, 05:14 AM
+1 to one guild only

mightygerm
05-24-2013, 05:53 AM
I'm fine with one guild only if they let us have custom chat channels

Yasi
05-24-2013, 05:54 AM
I know which 3 guilds I'm planning on joining if this became available.

Patrigan
05-24-2013, 06:00 AM
To be honest, I would personally like:
One guild
Friendlist (for people not in my guild)
Multi player chats / Personalized Chat Channels.

This would allow me to be in the guild I want to be, while still being able to have quick communication with friends in other guilds and a chat channel where some of my closest friends will hang around in.

I also want Guild Levelling, but that's another story xD

Yasi
05-24-2013, 06:02 AM
One guild

This would allow me to be in the guild I want to be, while still being able to have quick communication with friends in other guilds and a chat channel where some of my closest friends will hang around in.

Guild leveling should be #1 priority. Custom channels would be a good idea, but I highly doubt they'll have it at launch unless we reeeally pester them about it. I really hope they'll have some form of socialization at launch though.

jai151
05-24-2013, 06:19 AM
One guild

One guild is most likely, Friendslist is a given, and chat channels are pretty much a given too.

For guild leveling, I'm against it. Instead of creating a connection to your guild, all it fostered in WoW was viewing the guild as a buff farm and commodity to be sold.

Wolver_the_Zeta
05-24-2013, 06:24 AM
As far as kickstarter guild bonuses are concerned, only the Guild Master bonus applies to the whole guild. Everything else is just to your account, except Raid Leader which is only people grouped with you in a raid (guild or not). I think a limitation of being able to only be Leader of one guild will solve the issue, and that is the only place your bonus would apply.

If a top tier guild wants to say that you can only be in one guild, that is their prerogative. I can't think of an modern MMO that limits you to one guild per account right now though. One per character, yes, but you can make multiple characters. Just because you want to be in one guild that people only represent that one shouldn't limit people who want multiples.

I want to invite my friends to play, but they aren't necessarily going to be as into drafting as me. Why should I be unable to have tournaments with them, because they can't join my PvP guild? Why should I not have a place to share decks or chat with a top tier PvP guild, because I want to play with my friends?

"If the guild you are in does not support what you are playing the game for, leave it and join another!" What happens if I want to play PvP, PvE, and play some with casual friends? What if I want to RP in a guild, but also test constructed PvP? Will there always be a guild that matches all of a players needs?

Yasi
05-24-2013, 06:25 AM
For guild leveling, I'm against it. Instead of creating a connection to your guild, all it fostered in WoW was viewing the guild as a buff farm and commodity to be sold.

Wrong. That was WoW, this will be different in a positive way.

jai151
05-24-2013, 06:35 AM
I can't think of an modern MMO that limits you to one guild per account right now though. One per character, yes, but you can make multiple characters.

The problem is while you can make multiple characters, there's no real division. All cards are shared in a common pool, and you don't have a PVP character. So trying to figure out a way to do anything but account wide is a headache.

Yasi
05-24-2013, 06:38 AM
It's a good idea in theory but I don't think it would work with the mechanics of the game as it is. Especially with guild bonuses, guild bank, and other guild specific features.

You're worrying too much. I'm sure if there was a multi-guild feature that it'll all be sorted out.

Turtlewing
05-24-2013, 07:54 AM
Perhaps a guild alliance system where allied guilds can share social features like guild chat and contribute to one another's Keep defenses would work better.

That way you're only in one guild, but your guild could form alliances with other guilds for mutual protection or to further common goals.

SamCube
06-04-2013, 11:25 AM
It's waaay simpler than that.
You can call it "Clans" "Family" or "Circles" but I picture that as a 4 to 5 members of your closest friends with a common chest were you can share your decks easily to play with each other in a more easy way. You can have multiple clans or "circles" like in google.
No need to have a fancy name or anything. Just something just fast to access and to manage than a full guild to play a few plays.

Taun
06-04-2013, 11:38 AM
I was thinking that we should reformulate the idea as something that works in addition to a regular guild. Depending on what you're in the mood to do, you contact the 'circle' that has the same interests. That way we're not always spamming chat to find people to play with, trade, challenge, socialize... whatever.

Personally, I like building a variety of deck styles from serious competition to fun & wacky theme decks. I've run into people who are super serious & would hate my fun decks. I've also run into many casual/new players that get intimidated by my serious decks. It'd be nice to have a way to organize communication with such groups.

I would view Guilds similar to joining a sports team to which you are devoting all your 'resources'. While clans/clubs/circles would be for non-mutual associations.

Beastmaster
06-05-2013, 12:44 AM
I personally think guilds can be a bit intimidating - especially at first.
There really does need to be a system to help people make friends and to be able to easily get in tough with those friends in the future though.

I love coming up with new decks to play against my friends with but the satisfaction is just not there playing those same decks against strangers esp when they rush off to the next game and there is no time to shoot the breeze and talk about how to improve your deck.

I propose 2 systems:

1 a pub/forum/chat room style system where the OP says what they are building/playing/interested in etc and then others join and chat about that topic, get to know each other and play against each other casually followed by more chatting about how it went. Have an easy option to turn the initial chat into a small 'group' with the ability to send group messages to meet up again and to leave/kick out people from the group if necessary.

2 have a +/- sign next to everyones name and every time you meet them, you can choose either. Those you like are put at the top of any lists and those that you dont are progressively put further down the bottom.