PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about potential for Face Down Cards?

MugenMusou
05-23-2013, 08:51 PM
HEX gave me such an excitement because it got pretty much all the mechanics at its foundation. No TCG I have seen so far seem to go beyond how they start i.e. if the initial mechanics does not have instant like card then such radically new mechanics won't be added in the future. Rather occasionally those games come up with some system that tries to mimic it. HEX got resource system, hero system, instant system i.e. essentially at its foundation it can do everything Magic can do.

Now what do you all think about "trap card" as in Yu Gi Oh?

My understanding of the trap card is that these were initially developed as instant system alternative. So technically speaking, we can probably do anything that trap card can do with instant card and better except "Permission vs. Tapout" concept.

Now these are just definition, and there are lots of subjectivity on this. But I did a some research about these while back for the purpose of my blog write up. The easiest and most logical definition I arrived was both are control archetype. But permission is more of quick action counter card based i.e. in magic you use Cancel to block opponent's move when he tries to.

On the other hand, more modern control archetype tapout deck type is you will use up all your resources during your turn but what you have on your board potentially blocks or restrict opponent's next turn. General's tent fits nicely into Tapout deck, but I can see Trap card would work nicely here as well.

So long story short.

A) Will we see face down/trap card in HEX?
B) Do you like to see one?
C) Any cool idea that can be only done with trap card but not with quick action?

Example:

Exchange Trap
When next card with cost greater than the highest cost card you have in the field is casted by opponent, you take the troop's control and the opponent player takes control of a troop that you choose.

This illustrates what trap card does differently from quick action. Essentially, trap card can be a passive counter i.e. it can be event trigger based so you may actually not have the total control over it.

Tyrfang
05-23-2013, 09:23 PM
They had something similar in MTG called Morph. You could play any creature (they were all creatures) with Morph for 3 mana of any color face-down. Then, at any point, you could pay the morph cost to reveal the creature. Many had corresponding effects on reveal.

Realistically with Digital cards, they wouldn't need to be face-down at all, but it would be interesting to play a card face down as an instant in order to prevent someone from discarding it from your hand.

katkillad
05-24-2013, 03:06 AM
A) I hope not.
B) No
C) I like MTG and not Yougiouh

nicosharp
05-24-2013, 03:17 AM
A trap card is just a lame way of casting an instant. I like the mechanic they are building in so far that allows traps to be thrown into an opponents deck that pop in their face when they draw them.

I am not saying your form of trap card will never happen. Just mechanically seems pretty cheesy, and provides less hidden information than you think, specially in comparison to instants, or self drawn traps.

darkbreaker
05-24-2013, 06:11 AM
They had something similar in MTG called Morph. You could play any creature (they were all creatures) with Morph for 3 mana of any color face-down. Then, at any point, you could pay the morph cost to reveal the creature. Many had corresponding effects on reveal.

Realistically with Digital cards, they wouldn't need to be face-down at all, but it would be interesting to play a card face down as an instant in order to prevent someone from discarding it from your hand.
Not only creatures. I had an enchantment with morph, while morphed it was a creature when "unmorfed" it was an enchantment that enhaced all creatures defense by 1.

Found it:
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=145096

Yasi
05-24-2013, 06:13 AM
I like Yu-Gi-Oh.

Deathfog
05-24-2013, 07:22 PM
Game isn't even out yet, new and bizarre mechanics are sure to come with each set.

MugenMusou
05-24-2013, 07:49 PM
The trap card is not identical to instant in my experience. Instant can act as active counter where the player who uses it have control over when to use, what to target. On the other hand, trap card can act as passive counter where event triggers when the card gets activated i.e. opponent may have some control. Instant card can be a surprise counter, and Trap card can be a bluff.

So personally, I like to see both.

Oh and I totally forgot about the morph cards in Magic. Though on game like HEX where paper format is not a concern, they can probably make double sided card that have both pictures (sort of like Magic in that sense too).

ShaolinRaven
05-24-2013, 08:10 PM
But, but, we already have trap cards and they are much more entertaining because they shuffle traps into your opponents deck!

Talreth
05-24-2013, 09:13 PM
The trap card is not identical to instant in my experience. Instant can act as active counter where the player who uses it have control over when to use, what to target. On the other hand, trap card can act as passive counter where event triggers when the card gets activated i.e. opponent may have some control.

So then if opponent has some control over trap cards and no control over instants why would anyone want to play a trap?

MugenMusou
05-24-2013, 09:13 PM
But, but, we already have trap cards and they are much more entertaining because they shuffle traps into your opponents deck!

You are absolutely right. I was actually happily surprised when they announced the card initially. My mind was still set in the physical world and didn't even think about the possibility for the slightest.

Hence, I wrote this when it was originally announced: http://houshasen.wordpress.com/2013/05/14/%E3%80%90hex%E3%80%91-you-wanna-trap-card-you-got-it/