PDA

View Full Version : 2x GK worth it?

Motjida
05-23-2013, 11:28 PM
Hi all,

I'm sitting on 2x GK at the moment. I pledged before the 11th update went out clarifying restrictions.
My question now is, is it worth keeping both GK, or is it better value to let one go and pledge 3x Kings instead?

As far as I can see, the only real tangible benefit from a 2nd GK (that a Kings wouldn't get me anyway) would be:

6 extra Collectors alternate art PvP cards /year for life
20 random Rare/Legendary pieces of Equipment
One free draft tournament /week for life

Any insights?

/Motjida

Hadin
05-23-2013, 11:32 PM
Don't forget to factor in the stretch goal bonuses. You get an additional 50 packs of set 2 ($100), 90 boosters of set 1 ($180 - Guild Master). The way I looked at it, Pro Player pays for itself in 36 weeks. Grand King pays for itself in 72 weeks. 2x Grand King also pays for itself in 72 weeks. You get the bonuses you listed, and $280 worth of additional boosters.

Qorsair
05-23-2013, 11:35 PM
Either keep them as 2 separate accounts, or if you want to merge them, downgrade to GK + PP (if you can get it) + King x2, or down to GK + King x3 if you want to reduce the pledge amount or can't snipe a PP.

Yasi
05-23-2013, 11:39 PM
No, it's not worth it.

Hadin
05-23-2013, 11:43 PM
Either keep them as 2 separate accounts, or if you want to merge them, downgrade to GK + PP (if you can get it) + King x2, or down to GK + King x3 if you want to reduce the pledge amount or can't snipe a PP.

I won't argue with this. My girlfriend wants to try the game so I'll be putting one of the GK's on her account. Having 2x account to raid with certainly isn't discouraging me either, however I'll need tablet support for that (Boourns).

Motjida
05-24-2013, 12:07 AM
Don't forget to factor in the stretch goal bonuses. You get an additional 50 packs of set 2 ($100), 90 boosters of set 1 ($180 - Guild Master). The way I looked at it, Pro Player pays for itself in 36 weeks. Grand King pays for itself in 72 weeks. 2x Grand King also pays for itself in 72 weeks. You get the bonuses you listed, and $280 worth of additional boosters.

I only listed benefits that I wouldn't also get with Kings (and 3x Kings gives you far more boosters than a single GK would)

You are right in listing the 50 set 2 boosters though , I forgot those.

I guess I'm wondering if the benefits of the 6 collectors PvP alternate art cards /year for life and free draft /week for life
outweighs the benefits of 3x Kings as the other rewards are minimal compared (50 set 2 boosters and 20 pieces of equipment)

If I could get me a Pro Player and 2x Kings for my one GK, I reckon that would be the best option, but I think that's unlikely at this stage.

I've no interest in keeping the two accounts separate, so I'll merge whatever I end up with.

nicosharp
05-24-2013, 12:14 AM
I think 1 GK + 1 King is all the value you would ever need. I got a King slot for my wife, and don't feel like I am stealing from other players that want to lock in a rarer high tier. Please unlock a GK for the hordes of people trying to grab one, and hopefully not scalp it on ebay/craigslist.

traeki
05-24-2013, 12:50 AM
I'd wait and see what the collector-related announcement they've been teasing is going to be. Certainly, I think you'd get more for your money by dropping to GK + CC + 2*K, or trying to snipe a PP in place of the 2*K. PP+CC is worth far more than a second GK. The only bonus you miss that way is the 20 rare/legendaries from the DC, and those are FAR less value than the bajillion packs, exclusive cards, and so forth that you get from the second $250 tier. You can trade just a fraction of them to get back the legendary/rares in a hurry, I have no doubt (and you'd get to pick which ones you're trading for).

Depending what they have to say about Collector, you could also go GK + 2*CC. The Collector doesn't stack in a second draft/week, but you'd get a lot of special stuff for the life of the game, and you'd get 3x the massive King stash that way. Unless you REALLY REALLY want the second PP and can't/aren't willing to snipe for it, I think dropping to CC + (CC or 2*K) is the way to go for that price point.

Again, though, I'd wait until they clarify the CC stuff.

traeki
05-24-2013, 12:52 AM
Ah, just saw your more recent post. Yeah, 4xKing is also a great way to re-spend your second GK. I like the idea of getting the extra uniques, but dollar for dollar you'd have to be getting a LOT of value for those 6 specials to make up for missing out on the extra king...

Motjida
05-24-2013, 01:50 AM
ok, so it's either going to be

GK + GK
GK + 2x CC
GK + PP + CC (if I can snipe a PP)
GK + 3x Kings
GK + PP + 2x Kings (if I can snipe a PP)

Regardless of choice, I want to merge into 1 account.

Tough choice :(

Hadin
05-24-2013, 01:56 AM
ok, so it's either going to be

GK + GK
GK + 2x CC
GK + PP + CC (if I can snipe a PP)
GK + 3x Kings
GK + PP + 2x Kings (if I can snipe a PP)

Regardless of choice, I want to merge into 1 account.

Tough choice :(

I was leaning towards GK + PP + Collector until the +50 set 2 packs were awarded to GK. If you decide to switch to PP + Collector don't lose hope on PP just yet, as I'm sure some of them will open up near the very end, as people don't want to get billed for ones they decided to hang on but decided against.

Motjida
05-24-2013, 02:06 AM
I was leaning towards GK + PP + Collector until the +50 set 2 packs were awarded to GK. If you decide to switch to PP + Collector don't lose hope on PP just yet, as I'm sure some of them will open up near the very end, as people don't want to get billed for ones they decided to hang on but decided against.

I know what you mean, I might end up hanging on to 2xGK and then throw a King on top.
just can't seem to stop pouring more money into this, curse you Cryptozoic!

Hadin
05-24-2013, 02:10 AM
I know what you mean, I might end up hanging on to 2xGK and then throw a King on top.
just can't seem to stop pouring more money into this, curse you Cryptozoic!

I just sold off my legacy binder as I'm getting out of Magic. This looked interesting so I figured I'd put $120 into King to see if it was entertaining. $1120 later... I think I'll appreciate having the double GK + King once I can actually play the game though.

DisOrd3r
05-24-2013, 02:38 AM
I have GK + PP atm, I'm not sure if I will get one more PP or 2 king.

Hadin
05-24-2013, 02:41 AM
I have GK + PP atm, I'm not sure if I will get one more PP or 2 king.

I'd snag a PP over 2x King. Set 1 boosters will be a dime a dozen, and once set 2 comes out those extra set 1 boosters will feel awfully irrelevant.

DisOrd3r
05-24-2013, 02:49 AM
I'd snag a PP over 2x King. Set 1 boosters will be a dime a dozen, and once set 2 comes out those extra set 1 boosters will feel awfully irrelevant.

You are probably right!
I'm new to TCG so I don't really know how sets work and stuff like that :)

nicosharp
05-24-2013, 03:06 AM
PP is hands down the best value. Specially for stacking. If you can find a open PP to grab, it is a huge value add. I am just going to sit on my Grand King, because I have no idea how much time I can dedicate per week to drafting. I do feel really guilty taking a locked tier from other players. Specially since I came to the kickstart late and had to feverishly camp for a GK spot. That is why I feel my GK + King backup for a friend is enough and not souring future backer options.

It is crazy living in a world where you can't even go to an overpriced concert without camping on tickets as soon as they are released. Having a total of 5 minutes to purchase before they sell out. Or having to book a seat number on a flight exactly 24 hours before the departure time to risk not seating stuffed between two fatties. Everything of value presents a barrier to entry, that instant global communication makes more challenging, not easier. Queue up in the line and wait your turn, not everyone got up early enough for the fast trak.

katkillad
05-24-2013, 03:10 AM
I think GKx2 is a bit of a waste. 1xGK and 2x collector and/or pro or 1xGK and a King tier sounds best.

Fireblast
05-24-2013, 04:47 AM
4 GK is the only one worth it, as you get 4 drafts and 4 collectors on the same account and it's the only way to do so with the 4 tiers max per account policy.

2 GK is replaced by GK + 2*$250 stacking tiers
3 GK is replaced by 2 GK + 2*$250 stacking tiers

~

Yasi
05-24-2013, 05:51 AM
You guys are crazies.