PDA

View Full Version : PVE Preview: The Kraken's Lair

Qorsair
05-24-2013, 12:29 AM
New article up with a PVE dungeon preview:

http://hextcg.com/the-krakens-lair/

Gorgol
05-24-2013, 12:33 AM
Just read it. This sounds pretty epic to me.

traeki
05-24-2013, 12:40 AM
Remember pants? I miss pants. I did Bad Things to mine, and now I can't leave the house. =(

gutock
05-24-2013, 12:41 AM
Crazy awesome. Curious why the Shin'hare would go, but excited to find out.

Omegahugger
05-24-2013, 12:42 AM
Daymn, that squid looks epic. All of them.

Seriously, if anyone weren't hyped for PvE before, they definitely should be now.

Gorgol
05-24-2013, 12:50 AM
Imagine how amazing raids are going to be since this is just a dungeon!

Grissnap
05-24-2013, 12:55 AM
Yes, I am now officialy excited for PvE!
I might regret not getting the dungeon crawler tier.

Best points to me:
1. Multiple paths / replayability based on your hero and decisions you make.
2. If your troop dies, he's out of your deck for the rest of the dungeon! So its not just playing a bunch of matches over and over, its also a game of attrition.
3. Great story telling.
4. Playing dungeons gives flavor to your PvP cards.
5. You might actually have to read flavor text (a first for TCGs).

Mavian
05-24-2013, 12:59 AM
Yes, I am now officialy excited for PvE!
I might regret not getting the dungeon crawler tier.

Best points to me:
1. Multiple paths / replayability based on your hero and decisions you make.
2. If your troop dies, he's out of your deck for the rest of the dungeon! So its not just playing a bunch of matches over and over, its also a game of attrition.
3. Great story telling.
4. Playing dungeons gives flavor to your PvP cards.
5. You might actually have to read flavor text (a first for TCGs).

Noticed those as well and I wasn't too hyped about the PvE before but now I can see why there's the crazy mercs as well. You have to really consider your plays because if you lose 4 or 5 troops on the first encounter of a dungeon, you're really hamstrung. It's a great idea for keeping the PvE strategic. And the flavor text giving game hints was great.

From reading the article, it sounded like he could've completed the encounter still by killing the Mayor and having an easier time. This introduces the concepts of "Hard Modes" a la WoW. If anyone played during Ulduar, you could trigger certain encounters to become harder, but rewarded more in the end. I think it'd be great to integrate into this PvE environment as well

Thelaasa
05-24-2013, 01:04 AM
The whole losing troops permanently thing sounded like it was a unique mechanic of the fight on the ship against the kraken tentacles, not a dungeon-wide effect.

Khazrakh
05-24-2013, 01:15 AM
The whole losing troops permanently thing sounded like it was a unique mechanic of the fight on the ship against the kraken tentacles, not a dungeon-wide effect.

Exactly. Still a good example what we can expect in special mechanics for different dungeons.
All in all I'm somewhat hyped about the PvE Content now - looking forward to clear those dungeons!

Taurentipper
05-24-2013, 01:23 AM
Sounds awsome. Im playing this game for the PVE so im liking the sound of this

Grissnap
05-24-2013, 01:24 AM
Hmmm, I did not consider that, but it could go either way. Rereading it, it still seems like he was just able to take out the witches coven without any loses, but lost a troop in his battle with the Kraken.

Also if he had killed the mayor, I am assuming he would not have been able to cross by ship, requiring him to go through the mine (the other fork exiting the town), which would have added 3 extra encounters to get to the same spot as where he ended up after taking the ship. Plus no opportunities to wound the kraken.

Erebus
05-24-2013, 01:25 AM

I disagree:

After a careful battle I’m only short 1 troop from my deck. I’ll get him back once I leave the dungeon, but for the time being I’m going to be playing a 59 card deck that’s short a Protectorate Clergyman. I land on the beach only a little worse for wear.

Merir
05-24-2013, 01:33 AM
I've known from the start that I'm going to put some serious time into clearing the PvE content as well, despite pledging PP. This just reinforces that feeling. Can't wait to see what kinds of dungeons they can come up with!

Grissnap
05-24-2013, 01:37 AM
I've known from the start that I'm going to put some serious time into clearing the PvE content as well, despite pledging PP. This just reinforces that feeling. Can't wait to see what kinds of dungeons they can come up with!

I figured I would be playing PvE as well, and I really do want the 100% loot bonus, but with my budget I'd have to give up my PP for it. I guess I am okay gaining equipment at the same pace as people who join the game after release.

Merir
05-24-2013, 01:41 AM
I figured I would be playing PvE as well, and I really do want the 100% loot bonus, but with my budget I'd have to give up my PP for it. I guess I am okay gaining equipment at the same pace as people who join the game after release.

I was contemplating a switch to Dungeon Crawler as well, but decided against it. I'm actually fine with earning loot at the normal rate - taking my time and perhaps struggling a bit will only add to the feeling of accomplishment after beating a dungeon.

Thelaasa
05-24-2013, 02:10 AM
I disagree:

You are taking that quote out of context.

"This immediately becomes apparent, since the ship is attacked as it nears the beach. I知 forced to defend it or drown. I enter another battle, this time against a few tentacles that can grab my troops and throw them overboard! Again, I知 going to want to be careful.

At this point the game lets me know that the more of the Kraken痴 tentacles I can wound, the weaker the beast will be once I finally face him. So, if I explore the Island I run a higher risk of racking up losses, but the final conflict will be a bit easier.

After a careful battle I知 only short 1 troop from my deck. I値l get him back once I leave the dungeon, but for the time being I知 going to be playing a 59 card deck that痴 short a Protectorate Clergyman. I land on the beach only a little worse for wear."

Is the full description of the battle. The author mentions that the tentacles have the ability to throw your minions overboard, as you are fighting on a ship. Since this mechanic is not mentioned at all with any of the other fights that the author discussed in the article, combined with the wording of the full description of the encounter, leads me to believe that the "losing a card for the duration of the dungeon" is a limited effect present only in the shipboard fight, not across the entire dungeon. If you permanently lost a unit every time it got killed in a dungeon, you would run out of a deck after just a few fights.

Erebus
05-24-2013, 02:37 AM
Oh I agree Thelaasa, I must have misread the original post.

I thought you said we only lost the troop for that shipboard Kraken fight.

I figured any troops thrown "overboard" during that fight, would be unavailable for the rest of the Dungeon.

Re-reading it now I see that I misread your post and I apologize. Also I figured that's the danger of looking for "more" Kraken tentacles as well.

kaosuhiryuu
05-24-2013, 02:38 AM
I wonder how that fight will go in a constant/action-based deck xD

Patrigan
05-24-2013, 02:50 AM
Is the full description of the battle. The author mentions that the tentacles have the ability to throw your minions overboard, as you are fighting on a ship. Since this mechanic is not mentioned at all with any of the other fights that the author discussed in the article, combined with the wording of the full description of the encounter, leads me to believe that the "losing a card for the duration of the dungeon" is a limited effect present only in the shipboard fight, not across the entire dungeon. If you permanently lost a unit every time it got killed in a dungeon, you would run out of a deck after just a few fights.

However, I think that there will be more than one fight with the tentacles, judging by:

So, if I explore the Island I run a higher risk of racking up losses, but the final conflict will be a bit easier.

Which comes down to: if I do more battles on the island with tentacles, I can make the end boss weaker. But since the tentacles have the ability to remove your units, your deck will also be weaker by the time you reach the endboss. It might not be the full dungeon, but it will surely happen more often.

I also hope it does, it's a cool design space, where the dungeon itself affects your deck for the remainder of the dungeon. Imagine building a deck with a single troop win condition and that troop gets tentacled ^^ It's a good lesson!

Omegahugger
05-24-2013, 03:02 AM
More than that, think of the possibilities of Dungeons modifying your deck!

A necromancer unleashed a zombie plague, slowly withering your troops away (and starting the ultimate bossfight with more zombies).

The legendary sword stuck in the middle of a stone inside the dragon's lair gets you a powerful, if temporar, artifact.

An insane dwarf slowly (and secretly) replaces your soldiers with his own loyal bots, except one of them gain a conscience seeing you save a wounded bear cub!

The possibilities are endless!

(... okay, that last one sounds like a bad Disney flick)

Erebus
05-24-2013, 03:08 AM
On another note, was I the only one surprised that the "Kraken" didn't have a) a PVE symbol nor b) a NPC only disclaimer on it?

kaosuhiryuu
05-24-2013, 03:11 AM
I think the card is a reward. It would make sense for the kraken to be an actual boss in the dungeon.

Erebus
05-24-2013, 03:14 AM
That's my point. If the Kraken is a dungeon reward, based on everything we've heard from Corey and the rest of the CZE team, it should be PVE only.

Unless of course it's an example of a PVP card you could get from booster that is possible to be obtained from PVE (which seems skirting the edge of what they've put out, but not violating. They've mention possible acquisition of boosters from PVE events, so this isn't out of the realm of possibilities.)

Grissnap
05-24-2013, 03:21 AM
I just think its the beauty of having an PvE element in your TCG. This way certain lore characters or things appearing in the PvE content are also connected to the PvP experience. It's like WoW TCG characters showing up as cards, except in this game, they already were cards...

Not sure if that made any sense, but too lazy to try to revise.

Omegahugger
05-24-2013, 03:22 AM
It could also be that the Kraken has 3 versions of it. One that the boss uses, one that's a PvE only reward for beating the boss and a PvP one gained from the boosters.

Of course, it could also just that you get a PvE only version of the spoiled Kraken for beating the boss one.

Actually, wouldn't it be cool if the Kraken was a reward for a achievement against the Kraken? Like, if you gather the resources for a powerful, old ritual, you can tame the beast and get to drag it along the adventures?

On a side note, wouldn't it be weird (and fun) to play the Kraken at the ship battle and have it get thrown off board by the Kraken's Tentacles?

kaosuhiryuu
05-24-2013, 03:29 AM
That is some wall breaking right there. Looking at the image of the dungeon, one kraken already looks big enough! Now imagine two of them wrestling!

I was answering the part b of your post by the way.

Omegahugger
05-24-2013, 03:44 AM
That is some wall breaking right there. Looking at the image of the dungeon, one kraken already looks big enough! Now imagine two of them wrestling!

That is an awesome image, isn't it? Although it could end up looking a bit like the Fisherwife's Dream if one is unlucky.

Speaking of dreams and nightmares, I just noticed something a bit more concerning missing from the Kraken. It isn't unique.

There are more of them out there. ;_;

ramseytheory
05-24-2013, 03:47 AM
Of course, it could also just that you get a PvE only version of the spoiled Kraken for beating the boss one.

CZE have said there's no overlap between the PVE and PVP sets, so if you can get the Kraken in PVE then either it will be usable in PVP or it will look very different to the spoiled one.

Fireblast
05-24-2013, 04:45 AM
The cards Previews always are PVP cards.

The Kraken, its tentacles and the Midnight Sheperd are PvP cards

~

Patrigan
05-24-2013, 05:16 AM
I think we can expect a far superior Kraken version in the Kraken Boss Battle.

Arbiter
05-24-2013, 05:19 AM
Don't forget the PVP cards should still follow the lore, they are set in the world. There will be several that reference dungeons / raids, I imagine.

BossHoss
05-24-2013, 05:22 AM
A necromancer unleashed a zombie plague, slowly withering your troops away (and starting the ultimate bossfight with more zombies).

This would be sick!

Facing off against possibly some of your strongest cards right off the bat in the boss fight that are now zombies

Love it

Yasi
05-24-2013, 06:20 AM
There are too many dungeons in this game already. Why are they adding more?

Fireblast
05-24-2013, 06:28 AM
There are too many dungeons in this game already. Why are they adding more?

To keep us busy and entertained?

~

Yasi
05-24-2013, 06:30 AM
To keep us busy and entertained?

~

It takes 4 hours to complete a dungeon and there are what? 50+ dungeons? Not to mention nobody has the time to grind on useless mobs all the way up to the boss. I can understand if they had 50+ dungeons and each one only had the boss, but no.

Omegahugger
05-24-2013, 06:39 AM
There's no such thing as too many dungeons, only too little time to play them in.

BossHoss
05-24-2013, 06:40 AM
It takes 4 hours to complete a dungeon and there are what? 50+ dungeons? Not to mention nobody has the time to grind on useless mobs all the way up to the boss. I can understand if they had 50+ dungeons and each one only had the boss, but no.

To each his own...

Yasi
05-24-2013, 06:47 AM
To each his own...

PvE has always been catered towards the casual audience mang.

houjix
05-24-2013, 06:58 AM
Completionists should never attempt MMO's with their ususal mindest. By their very nature, there's just too much to do it all. So as a casual player you shouldn't worry about being a completionist and just follow the dungeons as the story takes you. You don't have to do everything.

And what did you expect out of a dungeon? If it was just a boss fight, wouldn't be much of dungeon would it. Also the article mentions that you only have to fight one of tentacle mini bosses if you choose. Fighting the others make the final fight easier. Plus the other side routes are optional as well but may generate better rewards if completed. So if you feel like going fast and skipping the extra stuff, the dungeon may be harder and create a greater chance of wiping against the boss causing you to restart it leading to lost time.

Qorsair
05-24-2013, 06:59 AM
Actually, wouldn't it be cool if the Kraken was a reward for a achievement against the Kraken? Like, if you gather the resources for a powerful, old ritual, you can tame the beast and get to drag it along the adventures?

If you get the Kraken from defeating the dungeon boss... Dungeon Crawler just got a lot more attractive, especially if he's only given as loot for a special-case win. Only having to do that 2x instead of 4x to get a full set would be a significant bonus.

houjix
05-24-2013, 07:00 AM
That would be cool, but no PVP cards are dropping in PVE, especially rares and legendaries.

Yasi
05-24-2013, 07:06 AM
Completionists should never attempt MMO's with their ususal mindest. By their very nature, there's just too much to do it all. So as a casual player you shouldn't worry about being a completionist and just follow the dungeons as the story takes you. You don't have to do everything.

Eh, I see your point. It's just that to me...when there are X number of things to do, I want to do all of it even though I know I won't be able to given the time constraint. I know I'll end up just doing the bare minimal and then raiding or w/e, but it'll always be in the back of my mind. Achievements would also suck pretty badly for casuals like me-knowing you won't ever get X.

Vibraxus
05-24-2013, 07:10 AM
Why cant I play this right now?? Im going to cry.

Tinuvas
05-24-2013, 07:10 AM
Something I noticed: "We launch into a card game, and I notice the computer starts with this guy in play". Notice that the games STARTS with cards in play. Another interesting dynamic I hadn't considered...how about getting into any number of fights with the opposing force already in play. Are we going to have the same option? Will Threshold and mana carry over from fight to fight? Lots of possibilities here.

Tinuvas
05-24-2013, 07:14 AM
It sure feels like this will be a much more story driven experience than say WoW. In WoW, it felt to me very much like a 'pull the mob, kill the mob, wash rinse repeat'. I know there was more to it than that, and Blizzard did a fairly good job with keeping things interesting, but this sounds much more involved and story driven, which just flat rocks.

Oh, and I love the need to watch the flavor text. I'm a flavor text junkie, and now I get rewarded for that!

houjix
05-24-2013, 07:15 AM
Something I noticed: "We launch into a card game, and I notice the computer starts with this guy in play". Notice that the games STARTS with cards in play. Another interesting dynamic I hadn't considered...how about getting into any number of fights with the opposing force already in play. Are we going to have the same option? Will Threshold and mana carry over from fight to fight? Lots of possibilities here.

The old Shandalar Magic game would have occasional duels that started with the computer or your having particular cards in play. The thing about that game is the enemies had varying life totals from 4-6 for weak guys and 20+ for harder ones. You started around 10 but gained permanent increases as the game progressed. Sometimes getting to start with a 2/2 in play meant the game was over very fast. I'm hoping not all the enemies always start with 20 in Hex

BossHoss
05-24-2013, 07:16 AM
It sure feels like this will be a much more story driven experience than say WoW. In WoW, it felt to me very much like a 'pull the mob, kill the mob, wash rinse repeat'. I know there was more to it than that, and Blizzard did a fairly good job with keeping things interesting, but this sounds much more involved and story driven, which just flat rocks.

Oh, and I love the need to watch the flavor text. I'm a flavor text junkie, and now I get rewarded for that!

I love the choose your own adventure book feel... Been pretty addicted to Sorcery! for iOS lately

BossHoss
05-24-2013, 07:19 AM
The old Shandalar Magic game would have occasional duels that started with the computer or your having particular cards in play. The thing about that game is the enemies had varying life totals from 4-6 for weak guys and 20+ for harder ones. You started around 10 but gained permanent increases as the game progressed. Sometimes getting to start with a 2/2 in play meant the game was over very fast. I'm hoping not all the enemies always start with 20 in Hex

A multi raid would be pretty cool... 1000 health or something ridiculous and all raid parties everywhere fight... many parties will die but all those ever involved gain a % of loot based on their involvement

caffn8d
05-24-2013, 07:21 AM

Right there with you on that! Some of my favorite cards in TCGs have revolved more upon their flavor text than their effects. And yes, I can still recite the Uthden Troll chant. ;)

Vibraxus
05-24-2013, 07:24 AM

And what did you expect out of a dungeon? If it was just a boss fight, wouldn't be much of dungeon would it. Also the article mentions that you only have to fight one of tentacle mini bosses if you choose. Fighting the others make the final fight easier. Plus the other side routes are optional as well but may generate better rewards if completed. So if you feel like going fast and skipping the extra stuff, the dungeon may be harder and create a greater chance of wiping against the boss causing you to restart it leading to lost time.

Pretty sure I read that is you clear a dungeon, the rewards are better. So Ill take that chance and throw down with all the tentacles.

Yasi
05-24-2013, 07:25 AM
Pretty sure I read that is you clear a dungeon, the rewards are better. So Ill take that chance and throw down with all the tentacles.

Unless it's really hard if you don't heal is is stuck with x amount of health all the way up to the boss. You only have 3 lives I read somewhere. Might be even strategical to die once to reset your health.

Vibraxus
05-24-2013, 07:28 AM
Unless it's really hard if you don't heal is is stuck with x amount of health all the way up to the boss. You only have 3 lives I read somewhere. Might be even strategical to die once to reset your health.

One death tick is acceptable. I also believe I read there might be some sort of loot bonus if you clear with 2 death ticks, making each battle all the more precious.

Tinuvas
05-24-2013, 07:29 AM
And yes, I can still recite the Uthden Troll chant. ;)

LOL. Heck yeah! Loved the mashing and Oi! Oi! Can't remember it word for word, but close enough. Good times man!

Digital_Aether
05-24-2013, 07:34 AM
Dungeon boss loot is based on momentum. Momentum builds as you win fights, and you lose a bunch when you die. It isn't just the 3 deaths and you're out to worry about when trying to find the treasure.

houjix
05-24-2013, 07:36 AM
Dungeon boss loot is based on momentum. Momentum builds as you win fights, and you lose a bunch when you die. It isn't just the 3 deaths and you're out to worry about when trying to find the treasure.

One of the good things is not every dungeon is going to follow the same script. I'm really interested in the Sphinx one that is based on riddles and not a lot of actual playing cards.

Omegahugger
05-24-2013, 07:41 AM
Concerning Mayor Galway, what counts as killing him? I mean, there are other ways to remove a troop than a fireball to the face.

What if we shuffle him into our opponents deck? He isn't in a graveyard, so he might make out okay. If we bounce him back up to the hags' hand, then we can be almost certain he reappears.

What about killing him and then using our exclusive Scourge Knight to ressurect him on our side? Or do the villagers complain about having a zombie Mayor...

Heck, we can even drag out the round, summon the Kraken and use its ability to get him back. Take that logic, my Kraken is stealing from the Kraken!

houjix
05-24-2013, 07:43 AM
Build a Human deck with Mind Control. Take that Sea Hags!

Omegahugger
05-24-2013, 07:45 AM
And then use that mind control to control not only the humans, but also the Sea Hags! This plan is fool-proof!

Rayous
05-24-2013, 07:46 AM
I will have to say that if permanent effects in dungeons then you may have the same in raids. If so, the raid leader bonus is so much better as that heal one health per turn could allow you to survive when you wouldn't/bring a deck with less recovery elements. I really think that the more we see regarding PVE, the more raid leader, guild master, and dungeon crawler will shine.

Tinuvas
05-24-2013, 08:00 AM
Of course this article creates more questions than it answers (which is the point of course). HOW do you see that first paragraph of text about why you're there. I'm sure it's not just handed to you when you click the 'I want this dungeon' button. We've seen hints of scenes and whatnot. How are the choices presented to us? He talks about negotiating a ride with a ship's captain. Did he mean actually negotiate or just talk to the captain and get a ride based on previous decisions? And exactly how do you TALK to the captain? So many questions!

I'm going out of my mind with impatience. I'm glad that Crypto is going for the story driven experience, and can't wait to bash that mayor's face...wait, can't kill the mayor. That's bad as a human. How will it be different as a Shin'hare? Still bad to kill the mayor as a rabbit? Human warlock? And what about those town quests mentioned in the stretch goals? Is that how I'll find the dungeon? ARGGHH!!!

Yasi
05-24-2013, 08:02 AM
I will have to say that if permanent effects in dungeons then you may have the same in raids. If so, the raid leader bonus is so much better as that heal one health per turn could allow you to survive when you wouldn't/bring a deck with less recovery elements. I really think that the more we see regarding PVE, the more raid leader, guild master, and dungeon crawler will shine.

Of course. They wouldn't put useless things in the rewards for the different tiers-except maybe the Collectors.

Cato
05-24-2013, 09:18 AM
Very pleased with the preview on this! So much content to experience and savour.

The Unnamed Council will explore every Dungeon, master every secret. :cool:

There's no such thing as too many dungeons, only too little time to play them in.

I like this guy, he should join the Guild ;)

FireSummoner
05-24-2013, 09:25 AM
This was excellent. I am so happy to see PvE examples here. The other two articles were fun, but seemed a bit light on actual mechanics.

I have a side question that I don't know if it has been answered: Will items earned during PvE be linked to a specific champion inventory that earned it or pooled between all of your champions. I assumed it would be pooled, but seems odd that an ardent would give newly earned equipment to an underworld champ.

Gen91
05-24-2013, 09:31 AM
One of the good things is not every dungeon is going to follow the same script. I'm really interested in the Sphinx one that is based on riddles and not a lot of actual playing cards.

I hope some of these riddles or alternative challenges will be like challenges in
Duel of Planeswalkers.

houjix
05-24-2013, 09:32 AM
This was excellent. I am so happy to see PvE examples here. The other two articles were fun, but seemed a bit light on actual mechanics.

I have a side question that I don't know if it has been answered: Will items earned during PvE be linked to a specific champion inventory that earned it or pooled between all of your champions. I assumed it would be pooled, but seems odd that an ardent would give newly earned equipment to an underworld champ.

Let's hope not as that would be horrible. I'd hate to have to run the same dungeon multiple times just so each of my champs could use that equipment.

Voices
05-24-2013, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the link, OP. That artiicle made a Crawler just a bit more enticing :)

FireSummoner
05-24-2013, 09:36 AM
Let's hope not as that would be horrible. I'd hate to have to run the same dungeon multiple times just so each of my champs could use that equipment.

Well there is still trading so in theory you could just trade with yourself, but in the end it would be simpler on everyone to just have pooled resources.

houjix
05-24-2013, 09:40 AM
Well there is still trading so in theory you could just trade with yourself, but in the end it would be simpler on everyone to just have pooled resources.

I would assume it would work just like cards. You can have cards in multiple decks, why not champs using the same equipment.

OP_Kyle
05-24-2013, 09:45 AM

Cards, items, etc... are linked to your account and not a specific champion. This way you can build the deck you want the way you want it.

"Cryptozoic, we put the MMO in accommodating!" - Me

Loregoyle
05-24-2013, 09:46 AM
Just to clarify, since there was some confusion earlier in the thread ...

Normally, when you lose troops in a dungeon encounter, you don't lose them from your deck for the rest of the dungeon. The example given in the article is just a special mechanic of the sea journey encounter (the Kraken's tentacles dragging your troops to the bottom of the sea).

The idea here was to show that dungeons will employ a number of different kinds of mechanics to keep them strategically interesting.

Daer
05-24-2013, 09:49 AM
phat purpz

FireSummoner
05-24-2013, 09:52 AM
Cards, items, etc... are linked to your account and not a specific champion. This way you can build the deck you want the way you want it.

Thanks, that was quickly answered.

Showsni
05-24-2013, 10:02 AM
This dungeon seems pretty cool - can;t wait to give it a try! (My usual "human paladin" tendencies will probably also force me to take the good route...)

Based on the different dungeon designs, I imagine that an effective PvE player will end up crafting a deck specifically designed to beat each dungeon. For this example, you could run a deck heavy on spells and lighter on troops - without soldiers to steal, the Kraken's tentacles will be less of a threat.

Be fun to see how the boss fight here plays out, too. Based on the spoiled card, it looks like the tentacles can control troops - so could we end up reaching the boss, only to find that all the troops we had pulled overboard are now working for the Kraken and start out in play against us?

houjix
05-24-2013, 10:28 AM

You know, that's one of those words for whatever reason that I always mess up, especially the second 'o', and have to spell check. Don't think I ever will again. Thanks Kyle!

houjix
05-24-2013, 10:31 AM
This dungeon seems pretty cool - can;t wait to give it a try! (My usual "human paladin" tendencies will probably also force me to take the good route...)

Based on the different dungeon designs, I imagine that an effective PvE player will end up crafting a deck specifically designed to beat each dungeon. For this example, you could run a deck heavy on spells and lighter on troops - without soldiers to steal, the Kraken's tentacles will be less of a threat.

Be fun to see how the boss fight here plays out, too. Based on the spoiled card, it looks like the tentacles can control troops - so could we end up reaching the boss, only to find that all the troops we had pulled overboard are now working for the Kraken and start out in play against us?

Yep, a lot of variables in a TCG that are adding to depth of the game. Part of the hurdle will be certain champs will lend themselves to certain deck styles. Do you play what is a good deck to beat that dungeon, but one that may not synergize that well with your champ, or go full synergy with your champ and hope that it is strong enough to carry the day.

Turtlewing
05-24-2013, 10:50 AM
Yep, a lot of variables in a TCG that are adding to depth of the game. Part of the hurdle will be certain champs will lend themselves to certain deck styles. Do you play what is a good deck to beat that dungeon, but one that may not synergize that well with your champ, or go full synergy with your champ and hope that it is strong enough to carry the day.

Additionally you'll probably need to beat each dungeon once before you actually know what sort of deck will be it's weakness.

houjix
05-24-2013, 10:58 AM
Additionally you'll probably need to beat each dungeon once before you actually know what sort of deck will be it's weakness.

Or have guildmates beat it first. If you want to optimize your time, splitting up the dungeons and bringing back scouting reports to the guild seems like a good idea. Although I fully anticipate strategy websites popping up that will do just that.

Erebus
05-24-2013, 11:11 AM

THREAD SPECULATION KILLA strikes again.

Lochar
05-24-2013, 11:33 AM
Cryptozoic? Shut up and take my money!

Xexist
05-24-2013, 11:35 AM
I felt pretty confident that PVE wouldn't suck, but this blew away my expectations and I am now just as excited for PVE as I am for PVP.

Omegahugger
05-24-2013, 11:36 AM
Cryptozoic? Shut up and take my money!
Don't listen to him!

For the love of Oberon's spirit, don't stop talking. ;_;

Lochar
05-24-2013, 11:37 AM
Don't listen to him!

For the love of Oberon's spirit, don't stop talking. ;_;

Oh right. Shut me up and take my money, sorry about that.

Omegahugger
05-24-2013, 11:42 AM
Oh right. Shut me up and take my money, sorry about that.
That's better. Although Cryptozoic needs to step up if they plan to keep me quiet!

(not by much, though. They have a tendency to leave me flabbergasted)

Lochar
05-24-2013, 11:46 AM
Honestly, this preview blew away an reservations I might have had about PvE. Seven matches to get to the center of Kraken's Gold looks right for rushing it, or you could take a chance and add another half dozen combats to get extra rewards.

Gorgol
05-24-2013, 02:00 PM
I wish I had more money to give because everyday Cryptozoic manages to blow me away even more.

ursa23
05-24-2013, 03:57 PM
As I watch the discussion on how many Grand Kings, Pro Players, etc. everyone has; makes me wish I had more of a budget. As it is, I'm leaving Champ for King. Ramen can be all right for a little longer.

Skirovik
05-24-2013, 04:26 PM
I was already happy with Grand King, but after reading this article I'm even MORE happy about my PvE bonuses! :D

This will be awesome!