PDA

View Full Version : So, how good of a tutorial will this thing have? sorta new to genre

Zomnivore
05-24-2013, 02:55 AM
I played poke'mon a little waaaaay back in the day as a kid, and never got into magic.

Will this game have a ... like league so me and my rock sheltered brethren can learn in the tadpole league?

Was watching day9 play some MTG (it looked really involved) and hell he's even got a tutor who knows the ins-and-outs...well I'm no famous castor so I doubt I'll be so lucky.

Anyone in the know, know what all they're doing for us slightly below the pond scum level players?

Hadin
05-24-2013, 02:59 AM
I played poke'mon a little waaaaay back in the day as a kid, and never got into magic.

Will this game have a ... like league so me and my rock sheltered brethren can learn in the tadpole league?

Was watching day9 play some MTG (it looked really involved) and hell he's even got a tutor who knows the ins-and-outs...well I'm no famous castor so I doubt I'll be so lucky.

Anyone in the know, know what all they're doing for us slightly below the pond scum level players?

I would imagine they would include a fairly informative walkthrough early in the game, possibly a match or two worth of guided playing. Despite having a lot of TCG experience between them, I am sure CZE realizes how important the new consumers are for the success of Hex. With the ease of a digital medium (as opposed to cardboard) there is no reason for them to publish this game without one.

Omegahugger
05-24-2013, 03:26 AM
Also, PvE would be able to at least teach you the basics against foes who won't ridicule you for being a beginner.

Unless CZE gave the gnolls "Haha, I won!" quotes... I kinda want them to have something like that now.

ramseytheory
05-24-2013, 03:52 AM
Swiss draft is a nice form of multiplayer for new players, too - you get to play all your games and get a prize even if you finish low in the rankings, but the top prizes aren't as good as in other draft types. (This will probably have the bonus effect of keeping the best players away.)

Truhls
05-24-2013, 03:55 AM
Honestly a tutorial for a TCG is pretty straightforward, its mostly just telling you all the icons on the card, and what it does. Along with the abilities and such. The real key to being good at a TCG, is memorizing the cards.

QuantumZeruul
05-24-2013, 04:06 AM
I'm certain that plenty of us will end up putting up video tutorials as well when able. I certainly plan on it, so there has to be quite a few others with the same plans.

Yasi
05-24-2013, 06:20 AM
Tutorial for each of the class would be a nice thing to have.

WSzaboPeter
05-24-2013, 06:36 AM
Honestly a tutorial for a TCG is pretty straightforward, its mostly just telling you all the icons on the card, and what it does. Along with the abilities and such. The real key to being good at a TCG, is memorizing the cards.
I think the hardest thing for new players will be the stack/priority system.

Tutorial for each of the class would be a nice thing to have.
Can you please stop setting font, color and size for each of your posts? Thanks a lot.

Yasi
05-24-2013, 06:39 AM
I think the hardest thing for new players will be the stack/priority system.

Can you please stop setting font, color and size for each of your posts? Thanks a lot.

You quote me just to tell me that?

Daer
05-24-2013, 06:47 AM
This message is hidden because Yasi is on your ignore list.

Just click his name and click view profile, then you can ignore him. Everyone should do it.

Yasi
05-24-2013, 06:48 AM
This message is hidden because Yasi is on your ignore list.

Just click his name and click view profile, then you can ignore him. Everyone should do it.

You made a post just to write that?

MrCwis
05-24-2013, 07:43 AM
I believe Hex will be both easier and hard then MtG. On the Basic level the computer will tell you when you can play a card, when triggers activate and let you know when you have priority so all that complicated timing stuff in MtG is not a moot point and it controlled by some mystical AI in the sky. On the other hand in draft with socketed cards and gems it give a whole new level to the strategy of crafting a curve or a deck. They use a 4/4 for 5 card as an example. In MtG thats not a great card and probably isn't playable even draft. But it's socketable so it can become a 4/4 for 4, or a 5/5 for 5, maybe a 6/4 that can't block for 5 or give it flight or steadfast. One of these options will make it playable and will probably catch your opponent offguard. Imagine a 4/4 blocker coming out of nowhere when your opponent is attacking for the win with his only 3/3 troop, that'll be a good day.

MrCwis
05-24-2013, 07:46 AM
I'm sorry, I got excited. The tutorial will probably be pretty straight forward, with the computer taking control of prioty and letting you know what cards can and can't be played, a TCG at its base is pretty simply play resources, play troops and attack the opponent.

maniza
05-24-2013, 07:58 AM
there will be a tutorial but back in the day when i played magic there were things you need to learn to play better like attacking first and then casting creatures or using activated skills at the end of your oponents turn that sort of thing you will have to learn from online videos and other sources most likely. tcgs are fairly complex btw

Turtlewing
05-24-2013, 08:02 AM
I've said for a while that the best way to learn Magic The: Gathering is to play causally in Magic: the gathering Online. The online interface prevents you from breaking any rules by accident, prompts you through all the phases of the turn and shows you the actual stack (something that always seems hard for no computer scientists to grasp at first).

Similarly I'll bet you'd pick up Hex pretty quickly juts playing casually. By casually I mean in constructed PvP with no entry fee (so loosing isn't a big deal).

However Hex also has a PvE side which will probably include a more explicit tutorial.

Loregoyle
05-24-2013, 11:04 AM
HEX will have a tutorial that is targeted to people who have never played a TCG before. It will teach basic mechanics (this is what the numbers on the cards mean, this is how you attack and block, stuff like that) and even offer a few very simple strategies.

Wynthyst
05-24-2013, 01:22 PM
The best tutorial the game could have is a complete wiki (http://hex.gamepedia.com/Hex_Wiki)

Fireblast
05-24-2013, 01:24 PM
You need to know the turn phase, the symbols on cards, and to read :)

~

Fireblast
05-24-2013, 01:24 PM
The best tutorial the game could have is a complete wiki (http://hex.gamepedia.com/Hex_Wiki)

Considering your sig, I hope that you're working on it :)

~

Zomnivore
05-24-2013, 03:27 PM
So, seeing as I'm new to the genre and the format could someone explain to me the real money aspect and the entry fee of the competitive scene? How comparable is that to something like a monthly subscription in costs?

Fireblast
05-24-2013, 03:29 PM
We have no idea of how much a competitive deck will cost.
PvE is 100% free to play tho.

~

Showsni
05-24-2013, 03:44 PM
So, Corey answered this in the IGN Video - there will be an excellant tutorial to take first time players through all aspects of the game. Nice to know!