PDA

View Full Version : Primal Packs while drafting

Ronyx
05-24-2013, 04:25 AM
Hi all,

Not sure if this has been asked before but - is there a chance a booster pack will turn out to be a primal while in a draft tournament?
EDIT: From the kickstarter "Add primal packs to the game (packs that occasionally drop when buying packs that are fully rare and legendary)."
So that answers my question, but now seems like the thread has shifted into a discussion about having the ability to draft using primal packs and whether they would also drop when buying booster packs from the AH.

Thanks,
Ronyx

Digital_Aether
05-24-2013, 04:30 AM
Nope, when you buy a booster from the store or whatnot, it at that time is revealed to be a primal pack. You would know before you chose your boosters to draft with.

Gen91
05-24-2013, 04:35 AM
I bet there will be people who complain about buying three boosters, but can't do a draft because one of their boosters is a primal^^.

Digital_Aether
05-24-2013, 04:37 AM
Thing is, there's going to be people using the AH for boosters. If you buy it there, you not only get them cheaper than $2, (likely not by much), but you know they're not a primal. Because of winnings from drafts and the VIP program, there should be that AH booster market.

Willzyx
05-24-2013, 05:06 AM
The wording that was used, as I understand it, is that you need to open a booster to find the primal pack. When you do, a random number generator will decide if it's primal, and there will be an unopened primal pack inside *instead* of the cards.

This random generator is simply disabled in draft.

Daer
05-24-2013, 05:32 AM
No, when a booster is created it has a chance to be a Primal, which will have different art. You'll know its a Primal as soon as you buy it/win it/etc.

Malicus
05-24-2013, 05:36 AM
It would be interesting if it did function as a proc when opening rather than creating as it would create a new dynamic for opening vs keeping as boosters for draft etc.

BossHoss
05-24-2013, 05:39 AM
I bet there will be people who complain about buying three boosters, but can't do a draft because one of their boosters is a primal^^.

This wouldn`t be such a bad thing... Im sure the primal pack could net you a free draft by selling in the AH almost instantly. If the AH is anything like bots in MTGO you could prob get the plat pretty quick

ShaolinRaven
05-24-2013, 05:40 AM
It would be interesting if it did function as a proc when opening rather than creating as it would create a new dynamic for opening vs keeping as boosters for draft etc.

The problem is they don't allow primals in draft, so if you opened one as part of your draft you would either have to have an extra booster or quit the game and get a replacement booster. So the proc would only work if they allowed primals in draft, which would throw off the power curve for a draft.

BossHoss
05-24-2013, 05:45 AM
The problem is they don't allow primals in draft, so if you opened one as part of your draft you would either have to have an extra booster or quit the game and get a replacement booster. So the proc would only work if they allowed primals in draft, which would throw off the power curve for a draft.

Primal draft would be a fun format limiting players to 1 primal and 3 reg packs?..? and boosting the deck min to 60 cards or something.

Malicus
05-24-2013, 05:48 AM

I guess this depends on how the packs are coded. If the pack at purchase contains a specific set of cards then the primal is always in there so would break at draft but if the cards are not determined until you open the pack then you simply turn off the proc when drafting.

Arbiter
05-24-2013, 05:51 AM
Likely entry will be 3 normal packs + ticket, so there will be no possibility of primals in draft, people won't be able to use them to enter.

Yasi
05-24-2013, 05:53 AM
You can use primal packs to enter Drafts because it's a booster and they said you can use any boosters to enter. The boosters is an entry fee unlike real life where the boosters are used as the draft itself.

ShaolinRaven
05-24-2013, 05:54 AM
Primal draft would be a fun format limiting players to 1 primal and 3 reg packs?..? and boosting the deck min to 60 cards or something.

If you're going to do a primal draft, just do a 3 primal pack draft.

I guess this depends on how the packs are coded. If the pack at purchase contains a specific set of cards then the primal is always in there so would break at draft but if the cards are not determined until you open the pack then you simply turn off the proc when drafting.

So now your options are to have it proc when you buy the pack, or open a pack that procs as a primal, but loose the primal when drafting because it turns off the proc. I'd rather it just become a primal on purchase so I didn't have to worry about potentially loosing a primal because I brought a deck that would have proced into a draft.

Yasi
05-24-2013, 05:58 AM
The 3 boosters used in the draft are created the moment the tournament begin. What's all this talk about primal packs?

Ronyx
05-24-2013, 06:08 AM
From the kickstarter: "Add primal packs to the game (packs that occasionally drop when buying packs that are fully rare and legendary)."

When you go into a booster draft, you don't need to 'buy' the packs you can come in with your own inventory of unopened booster packs and just pay the entry fee. If this includes primal packs, you could enter with primal booster packs, which seems odd but could potentially be an option.

Kami
05-24-2013, 06:09 AM
You can use primal packs to enter Drafts because it's a booster and they said you can use any boosters to enter. The boosters is an entry fee unlike real life where the boosters are used as the draft itself.

This is false.

You will only be able to use normal boosters for drafts. This has been stated officially.

Yasi
05-24-2013, 06:12 AM
This is false.

You will only be able to use normal boosters for drafts. This has been stated officially.

Okay.

Turtlewing
05-24-2013, 07:12 AM

The proc would be disabled in draft so using a pack for a draft forfeits the chance for it to be a primal.

Twztyd
05-24-2013, 07:21 AM
So the three packs I get for my free drafts will never proc a primal? I wouldnt mind having to break out my wallet/plat to just buy an extra pack so I could keep the primal and still draft since we can just bring our packs to a draft anyways.

Tyrfang
05-24-2013, 07:35 AM
Twztyd:
There was a looooong discussion on this a while back where I suggested a token system so you could get them when you opened packs (and during drafts.)

In case you want to read up on it:
http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=23289&page=1

Turtlewing
05-24-2013, 07:45 AM
So the three packs I get for my free drafts will never proc a primal?

That's correct. One of the down sides of getting your packs from free drafts is you only get packs that can be used in drafts.

Twztyd
05-24-2013, 11:18 AM
Ah thanks for the info, I'm still like, shut up and take my money! lol

jai151
05-24-2013, 11:19 AM
Ah thanks for the info, I'm still like, shut up and take my money! lol

Want a shot at free primal packs? Win your drafts =) The prizes can be primals.

Malicus
05-24-2013, 02:14 PM
Having it proc from opening rather than at purchase would be fundamentally different but interesting in its own right, it would incentivise opening packs rath than just drafting (which I guess is bad because crypto loses money unless pele buy moe boosters) and also make it possible to get primal a from ah'd boaters.

Madican
05-24-2013, 02:16 PM
I actually don't see a problem from using Primals for drafts. Sure you get a legendary/rare card but so does everyone else at the table.

BossHoss
05-24-2013, 02:17 PM
I actually don't see a problem from using Primals for drafts. Sure you get a legendary/rare card but so does everyone else at the table.

Last pick rares would be a fun experience

Digital_Aether
05-24-2013, 02:19 PM
Imagine the horror of giving away 13 rare/legendary cards on accident though :P

Turtlewing
05-24-2013, 02:22 PM
Having it proc from opening rather than at purchase would be fundamentally different but interesting in its own right, it would incentivise opening packs rath than just drafting (which I guess is bad because crypto loses money unless pele buy moe boosters) and also make it possible to get primal a from ah'd boaters.

The advantages are:
Limited players never get stuck with a primal pack that isn't fit for the purpose they bought it (entering a limited match/tournament).
The chance of opening a primal encourages you to crack packs for constructed or PvE instead of always playing limited.

The disadvantages are:
It could be considered unfair that limited players get fewer rare/legendary cards than constructed and PvE players.
New players who get a primal will be really confused.

Talreth
05-24-2013, 02:25 PM
I disagree with that because I think it's unfair to have people people possibly trade away their primals. That would really suck. I'm glad you know as soon as you get it that it's a primal.

Turtlewing
05-24-2013, 02:25 PM

I'd imagine it would add a lot of chaos to the metagame, as the rarity distribution is no longer guaranteed.

Madican
05-24-2013, 02:26 PM
I like chaos though. Shake up the metagame and make things uncertain.

Turtlewing
05-24-2013, 02:30 PM

In principle I agree (that's largely the point of limited vs constructed), but there is a limit. There's a reason no one suggests "open a pack and look at the first card, whoever has the card with the highest cost wins" be a format.

Talreth
05-24-2013, 02:32 PM

I think the problem with this chaos is that while making it uncertain it would also make it more unbalanced.

Hadin
05-24-2013, 02:33 PM
In order to alleviate any frustrations players might experience from purchasing packs to draft with and getting primals, I will gladly 1:1 you a draftable pack for your undraftables!