PDA

View Full Version : Socketed cards

MrCwis
05-24-2013, 08:00 AM
So who's excited for this gem to be used in drafting?

Out of all the mechanics I think this is one of my favorites if not my favorite. The example give is a 4/4 for 5 which isn't a great card. But knowing that it won't stay as a 4/4 for 5 is amazing and if you pass it you have no idea what it is you're actually passing.

I'm going to align wild with what green mana traditionally does in MtG, for ease of comparision.

4/4 for 4 solid card in draft nothing special just a good body with a good attack, same with a 5/5 for 5, these two depend on what you need in your curve and whats missing. you could also go for a 5/6 for 6 if draft turns out to be a bit slower.

Giving it speed, or steadfast are good to but I like flight better and would be harder to block. 6/4 that can't block would be a solid attack that will kill most things that try to block it.

[1] this troop gets +1/+0 is decent in this colorless world where ever resouce can become a point of damage. or when this troop deals damage to a champion they discard a card is a bit of control added to am otherwise midrangey deck.

But my favorite would be playing it as a quick action on your opponents turn, to either surprise block an unsuspecting troop or at the end of turn to attack with a 4/4 that it may be to late to react to for your opponent.

8 cards in one, ya seems pretty sweet to me, all at common rarity to.

wallofomens
05-24-2013, 08:08 AM
Yup. Socketing is really interesting to me as well. I like how in drafting you always have 2 choices for gem colors - either the card's color or your other color in the draft, so it creates certain limitations but gives diversity in different drafts.

The best thing I like about gems is that the threshold they create is not needed to play the card but only to have the gem's effects activated.

Yasi
05-24-2013, 08:08 AM
I like the idea of gems, but Blood Magic should never have socketable cards.

wallofomens
05-24-2013, 08:10 AM
I like the idea of gems, but Blood Magic should never have socketable cards.

Why not? It already does:

http://hex.potion-of-wit.com/img/cards/fWw2kCs.jpg

Tinuvas
05-24-2013, 08:12 AM
I've watched many a Magic draft and it seems that the pros know exactly what possibilities are available to their opponent based on which lands are still up and what colors have been played. "Oh, he probably has a Smite, do I play around it or just charge in. hmm". Socketed cards throw a wrench into that whole deal. The pros will adjust I'm sure, but the possibilities of an individual card going so many directions is just sweet. 'He's playing sapphire, so he doesn't have a big...oh wow, look at the size of that guy'. 'As wild he doesn't have a way to block my...Oh, a Quick action blocker, didn't see that coming'. Yeah, sockets rock.

I assume that we can shift sockets during sideboarding as well, making socket cards incredibly diverse and adaptable. Going up against a quick aggro deck? keep him cheap. Heavy hitters? Beef him up. Need combat tricks? Got you covered. The possibilities are making my brain hurt.

MrCwis
05-24-2013, 08:13 AM
Why not? It already does:

http://hex.potion-of-wit.com/img/cards/fWw2kCs.jpg

Because he was trolling yesterday about how over powered Blood magic is. Better to just ignore it.

Yasi
05-24-2013, 08:14 AM
Because he was trolling yesterday about how over powered Blood magic is. Better to just ignore it.

It's funny. 3 cost for a 2-2 troop that has a socketable minor. Now go look at the Wild one.

RobHaven
05-24-2013, 08:14 AM
I actually kind of remember reading somewhere - though I really don't remember where - that sockets/things of a mechanical nature were sort of outside what Blood and Wild stood for. At the time I had assumed you could only socket using the gems. I was kind of disappointed to learn differently.

wallofomens
05-24-2013, 08:16 AM
I actually kind of remember reading somewhere - though I really don't remember where - that sockets/things of a mechanical nature were sort of outside what Blood and Wild stood for. At the time I had assumed you could only socket using the gems. I was kind of disappointed to learn differently.

To be honest it is a great mechanic and it shouldn't be limited just because of lore reasons. :)

RobHaven
05-24-2013, 08:18 AM
There are different ways to handle it. You could stay well within lore, but have the colors balanced accordingly. Inspire is a great mechanic, but I'm not looking for them to force it on troops of all colors.

Yasi
05-24-2013, 08:18 AM
To be honest it is a great mechanic and it shouldn't be limited just because of lore reasons. :)

I don't know what to say to this.

wallofomens
05-24-2013, 08:20 AM
There are different ways to handle it. You could stay well within lore, but have the colors balanced accordingly. Inspire is a great mechanic, but I'm not looking for them to force it on troops of all colors.

But inspire is more of a lesser, tribe mechanic. I'm sure that after a couple of set's we will be seeing a lot less of inspire, but not a lot less of socketing. Socketing is something innovative they've come up for the TCG as a whole.

MrCwis
05-24-2013, 08:22 AM
It's funny. 3 cost for a 2-2 troop that has a socketable minor. Now go look at the Wild one.

It's actually a 1/2 with cost 3 and it has rage, the wild is a 4/4 for a cost of 5. Both are at common, both are unplayable with out some type of upgrade, which the gems allow to happen and even lets you choose what would make it better.

For the blood troop I'd think a 3/2 for cost 3 that can't block and has rage is a nice fit. since the troop has rage you're going to want to attack with it, so not being able to block isn't going to be that big of a deal. Still not game breaking though as anything with 2 attack can block and kill it easily.

RobHaven
05-24-2013, 08:44 AM

But inspire is more of a lesser, tribe mechanic. I'm sure that after a couple of set's we will be seeing a lot less of inspire, but not a lot less of socketing. Socketing is something innovative they've come up for the TCG as a whole.

Tribes are lore.

KeplerVerge
05-24-2013, 08:50 AM

I understand your sentiment on this. Blood and Wild are the "true" magics. If you look at the gem graphics though, the actual gem colors are represented as cut gems and Blood/Wild are represented as whole colors. It's not outside reason to assume the gems of the true magics are more like "essence orbs" or something like imbued trinkets. Once the Hexing Gems made magic come of ease to those with no training, there was likely a desire to make the traditional magics more accessible to counteract them.