PDA

View Full Version : Mercenaries and Champion exp?

Karokoram
05-24-2013, 02:26 PM
Haven't seen this addressed anywhere.

Will leveling a Mercenary stop your character from getting XP? Or will they both receive it?
I would really hate to not be able to play with any of the 5 mercs from KS for a while after launch in order to level the primary character. Or do you guys believe it should be that way for some reason?

Hadin
05-24-2013, 02:26 PM
I would imagine that your champion levels as a result of it fighting battles for you. If your champion is there he shouldn't get experience.

Turtlewing
05-24-2013, 02:27 PM
I would assume that only the champion/merc you use gets XP

Consider champions and mercs like characters in an MMO. Your main doesn't get XP when you level an alt.

Gwaer
05-24-2013, 02:27 PM
I'm not certain, but I assume that you can only level one character at a time, and the mercs act as your character when you are using them.

Digital_Aether
05-24-2013, 02:30 PM
And remember that dungeons are locked based on champion level. I want so badly my level 20 Cardboard Tube Samurai... but I think having only a few of the 40 or so dungeons available would bother me even more.

Vibraxus
05-24-2013, 02:33 PM
Im good with having to level each one up separately. Bring on the dungeon runs!

Chance
05-24-2013, 02:33 PM
Beta would give you a lot of time to grind out the earlier levels for the mercs you were interested in.

Karokoram
05-24-2013, 02:39 PM
Beta would give you a lot of time to grind out the earlier levels for the mercs you were interested in.

True, good point. Anyways this will only be an issue for a short time since after the main is leveled, mercs give you a good reason to go back to pve.

Avedecus
05-24-2013, 02:47 PM
Mercs are also supposed to level a bit faster than your champ.

ShaolinRaven
05-24-2013, 08:40 PM
Mercs and Champions seem to level separate, but Mercs level faster yet the trade off is they have a streamlined power tier as well so you don't get to make choices on how they level unlike your Champion.

Talreth
05-24-2013, 09:51 PM
From what I've heard/read, don't remember where, but CZE was talking about how you can swap your champion out for mercenaries when you get them.

Ebynfel
05-24-2013, 09:57 PM
From what I've heard/read, don't remember where, but CZE was talking about how you can swap your champion out for mercenaries when you get them.

Yeah, but from what we know so far, which isn't much, doing s sidelines your hero until such a time as you switch back. it makes sense to me that way at least. Fairly certain nothing is going to stop me from playing around with the mushroom and the angel at some point though:)

Madican
05-24-2013, 10:16 PM
The Cardboard Tube Samurai shall wander Entrath and visit his teachings, in the form of beatings, on the Shin'hare.

HellFro
05-24-2013, 10:48 PM
Come on, Bebo FTW

alpha5099
05-24-2013, 11:02 PM
Do Mercs have a level cap of 20, so they wouldn't be useable in later dungeons? Or do they continue to level up all the way to 50 like a champion, but without any additional talent growth? Or do Mercs have additional talents past level 20, but CZE hasn't previewed any of them?

ShaolinRaven
05-24-2013, 11:23 PM
Do Mercs have a level cap of 20, so they wouldn't be useable in later dungeons? Or do they continue to level up all the way to 50 like a champion, but without any additional talent growth? Or do Mercs have additional talents past level 20, but CZE hasn't previewed any of them?

Well if you compare Merc abilities to Champion ones, Mercs get one every 5 levels and seem to have 4 total (5, 10, 15, 20) now Champions get one every 10 levels and seem to have 5 total (10, 20, 30, 40, 50) so Champions only get one more ability then Mercs do and they get them at a slower rate. It appears that Mercs only go to level 20, thus the faster leveling curve and more specialized abilities where as Champions get that extra one and are far more customizable to the deck style you want to attach them to.

dogmod
05-25-2013, 12:37 AM
Well if you compare Merc abilities to Champion ones, Mercs get one every 5 levels and seem to have 4 total (5, 10, 15, 20) now Champions get one every 10 levels and seem to have 5 total (10, 20, 30, 40, 50) so Champions only get one more ability then Mercs do and they get them at a slower rate. It appears that Mercs only go to level 20, thus the faster leveling curve and more specialized abilities where as Champions get that extra one and are far more customizable to the deck style you want to attach them to.

You are looking at the videos... how does that compare to the champion skill tree released in the warrior article.. much different and the article is newer information...

ShaolinRaven
05-25-2013, 12:43 AM
You are looking at the videos... how does that compare to the champion skill tree released in the warrior article.. much different and the article is newer information...

Yes I was looking at the videos and even the newer videos that were linked from ign and gamesradar, so I forgot about the warrior article... so much info to try and keep track of!

So if they decided to redo how it works then we probably do not have a complete list of Merc powers and they probably level similar to Champions, just faster and with their own set progression bonuses. But all we have is speculation since they are still working on.

madar
05-25-2013, 10:53 AM
yea, and i have no info about, but would be logic if you could do more champions, since there is more class \ talent, like in a MMO... so is not only about champions vs merc :)
but i think it's alright, it's like as you levelling chars in an MMO