PDA

View Full Version : Hex vs Hearthstone

Empyrium
05-24-2013, 04:33 PM
I learned about Hearthstone before I learned about Hex, and as a Blizzard fan, and WoW TCG player, I was pretty excited about it. Now, I'm VERY excited about Hex, but I can't help but wonder what will happen with both games hitting Beta at about the same time, and with CZE having the license to sell the WoW TCG... Seems like a very weird position for CZE to be in...

I'll try Hearthstone for sure, but I'm a GK X 2 backer (wife and I), so I'll probably be more invested in Hex, unless Hearthstone is unbelievably good, or Hex unbelievably bad...

So, what are your thoughts on Hearthstone and the fact that Hex will be playing on the same turf, and CZE kind of needs Blizzard (no idea what % of $ comes from WoW TCG though) ? Hearthstone will be a simpler game for sure, but will it "steal" away a lot of casuals, or the WoW crowd ?

nearlysober
05-24-2013, 04:37 PM
Hearthstone really isn't related to WoWTCG at all.

Hearthstone is "TCG Lite". I'm sure it'll be fun, I'll check it out... but it's all about casual play.

HEX PvP will be more like traditional card games... and the PvE side, well there's really no comparing that to anything out there right now.

nicosharp
05-24-2013, 04:37 PM
From what I have seen in short previews of Hearthstone. It is a basic version of the WOWTCG CZE already developed, for a more casual TCG audience that wants a quick interactive experience. I think their game will play faster, but have far less interactions, and be a far less sand box experience. I think any TCG fan will find time to try both, and I am excited for both games, but I actually have less faith in Blizzard now as a company than I do in CZE, given their recent direction, and would not back them financially in the same way.

(well said nearlysober - beat me to it)

Gerogero
05-24-2013, 04:39 PM
Hearthstone is a fun little game. Hex is a full fledged TCG and will be much larger. I think Hearthstone will be great for all the super casual players and people looking for some quick fun but Hex looks like it will have a longer lasting staying power.

Also, Hearthstone is not the WoW TCG so CZE shouldn't have any issues there.

Malicus
05-24-2013, 04:45 PM
Its TCG lite status may actually make it a nice gateway for Hex, its larger profile may draw in people who then find a love for digital CG and migrate to Hex if they want a deeper experience.

wallofomens
05-24-2013, 04:54 PM
Hearthstone looks like a very fun TCG but a bit too casual for my liking. It seems like it's been developed for a much wider target audience than HEX. I will still play a lot of it but HEX will definitely be my digital TCG of choice.

TheMuffMuff
05-24-2013, 04:57 PM
Yes its like casual vs. esport potential. Imo the art from hex looks much better than heartstones.

ForgedSol
05-24-2013, 05:01 PM
The lack of trading is the key missing feature. No trading, no secondary market, not in the same game space as Hex.

Joolz
05-24-2013, 05:02 PM
When I first saw Hearthstone before I saw Hex was announced I thought "that's weird, Blizzard is making a game that's essentially a competitor to the WoW TCG". But then I saw the gameplay and saw it really is a much lighter TCG so it sort of made sense. With Hex, it's definitely a direct competitor to the WoW TCG which is kind of...awkward I guess? Obviously people can play both but I can't imagine Blizzard is 100% happy about it.

stiii
05-24-2013, 05:05 PM
Hearthstone is very casual, which as we've learnt from other threads is the root of all evil.

dogmod
05-24-2013, 05:06 PM
Hearthstone is very casual, which as we've learnt from other threads is the root of all evil.
If it is not deep enough to drownd in I am not interested in swimming...

funktion
05-24-2013, 05:08 PM
Really, if you're going to talk about turf etc... the title of the thread should be Hex vs MTGO. That's where the competition is.

DarkSeverance
05-24-2013, 05:12 PM
With Hearthstone there are booster packs, but there is no trading. They specifically denoted that this is a CCG and not a TCG. You will spend money to increase your deck if you want (or play to unlock new cards and packs) but you will not have secondary market value in your cards. You are paying for the playing experience exclusively. They have also stated there are no current plans to launch a major Organized Play movement yet, implying there is no competitive scene.

Hearthstone will be fun and I'll probably play it... but in terms of how it is to Hex or competes, they are similar but different markets.

Empyrium
05-24-2013, 05:25 PM
Really, if you're going to talk about turf etc... the title of the thread should be Hex vs MTGO. That's where the competition is.
I was referring to turf, not in the sense that it is a very similar game, competing in the exact same market, but more in the sense that Blizzard is theoretically a client of CZE with WoWTCG, and both games are close enough in style and genre to create some business uneasiness.

But I agree, Hearthstone is the light game I'll have fun with (I love the Warcraft theme), for a while, and Hex is the game I'll be playing for years, theory-crafting, trading, playing tournaments, etc.

The future sure looks good for card games enthusiasts !

Dralon
05-24-2013, 05:28 PM
I will play both games and spend money on both games. They are different games and have different goals, and both look very fun. I am flexible enough I can enjoy both.

ForgedSol
05-24-2013, 05:36 PM
Before Hearthstone was announced, I was set with playing SolForge and maybe eventually giving MTGO another shot at some point. After Hearthstone was announced, I was set with playing both SolForge and Hearthstone to take up my time, with less chance of giving MTGO another shot. After Hex was announced, I'm set with playing SolForge and Hex and I'm pretty done with Hearthstone and MTGO is going to have to do some amazing things to pull me away from the free drafts and cheaper boosters of Hex.

SolForge remains my constant having Richard Garfield and Brian Kibler being behind it, and since it's so different from Hex and MTGO and can fill a different role. There is no way I would play both Hex and MTGO.

Talreth
05-24-2013, 06:06 PM

You mean from one person

Ebynfel
05-24-2013, 06:31 PM
I actually heard about Hex from Blizzard employees that tweeted about backing it, more than one of them currently working on Hearthstone. I think comparing the two is a non issue and an apples to oranges thing. I plan to play both. Hearthstone looks SUPER fun, but Hex looks like it has everything I want in a game period. Either way, though they share some design space, overall they seem targeted in completely different directions. And both don't look to be that expensive for T(c)CGs.

MugenMusou
05-24-2013, 06:39 PM
Nothing against Hearthstone but I think the game like it is already out there on mobile platform e.g. Shadow Era and Solforge. Easy to learn and quick to play, which are current belief of mobile TCG maker for successful mobile apps. There are definitely market for it.

Whereas, HEX is no compromised TCG, which could have a learning curve. So both have their own pros and cons.

Personally, I cannot play overly simplified TCG.

It's like comparing Skyrim/Final Fantasy to Dragon Quest/Warrior. Both are RPG, but target audience may be different, or some may like both for different reasons.

I hope to spend all my TCG budget onto one game, which is most likely HEX at this point.

JKat
05-24-2013, 06:42 PM
I have only played TCGs for two years and I have never played a single video game online (yes, I'm an old fart. my first video game console was Pong back in the mid-70s).

I will try HearthStone first.

I just feel like I will be torn to shreds in the shark infested waters of competitive players that is Hex!

Talreth
05-24-2013, 06:50 PM
I have only played TCGs for two years and I have never played a single video game online (yes, I'm an old fart. my first video game console was Pong back in the mid-70s).

I will try HearthStone first.

I just feel like I will be torn to shreds in the shark infested waters of competitive players that is Hex!

You could easily get a feel through the PvE first, and the most competitive formats are going to be the ones that (most) people have to pay to enter. I see Hex having a substantial play for fun, casually oriented player base.

Stok3d
05-24-2013, 07:46 PM
Hearth is a CCG and you can't trade cards. Hex is a TCG.
I love trading--as soon as I understood what Hearth was about I was turned off from the start.

thereck
05-24-2013, 07:54 PM
I like the idea that they will have f2p drafting in "forge mode"

thereck
05-24-2013, 07:55 PM
even if it's drafting light, giving you 3 cards to chose from until your deck fills

thereck
05-24-2013, 07:57 PM
overall, it looks great to play, costs 1$ a pack of 5, is a lite ccg, and will be around for a long time guaranteed as a blizzard product.

Corpselocker
05-24-2013, 08:03 PM
Yes, I think Hearthstone will be the springboard introduction into other card games. I'll probably check it out, but it doesn't look like it would hold my interest more than one drunken evening.

Wynn
05-24-2013, 10:39 PM
To me it will be Solforge vs Heartstone were they are TCG lites, both look like they are going for fast pace games. I'm in the Solforge beta and games seem more luck base with the pacing of games.

Then Hex looks like its going to give Magic a run for its money. As someone that has 1000s of magic cards from playing in the 90s and I love the Wow TCG I am so freaking pump for it.

Gorgol
05-24-2013, 10:56 PM
To me it will be Solforge vs Heartstone were they are TCG lites, both look like they are going for fast pace games. I'm in the Solforge beta and games seem more luck base with the pacing of games.

Then Hex looks like its going to give Magic a run for its money. As someone that has 1000s of magic cards from playing in the 90s and I love the Wow TCG I am so freaking pump for it.

This seems to sum it up for me as well.

Voices
05-25-2013, 12:02 AM
I personally just want one game to bind them all. My hopes are that Hex will do this. I do not think that Heartstone is having a chance of being my 'primary' game, but I will of course try it out. You never know how much money Blizzard will throw at it. Solforge does look very interesting. Will again try it, but it does not seem to have the overall wonderful feeling of Hex.

Gorgol
05-25-2013, 12:07 AM
Solforge to me just feels too much like a puzzle trying to be solved. For me its just so mechanical while Hex feels like a living breathing and ever changing entity.

Fireblast
05-25-2013, 01:00 AM
Solforge is tactical.
HEX is strategical.
Hearthstone is casual :)

~

GhundiPI
05-25-2013, 02:12 AM
To me Hearthstone looks like to be as casual as World of Warcraft, Starcraft or Diablo. Meaning that yes, you could play Hearthstone as casual as doing a dungeon a week or one draft a week in Hex. But like all other Blizzard games, there will almost certainly be a way to be as 'hardcore' about it as you want.

As for the mechanics; I expect Hearthstone to be become fairly heavy on the tactics and decisions that need to be made. From what has been shown so far, it is clear that one mistake could cost you the match. And certain mechanics like positioning (Void Terror) show that they are going for different mechanics than traditional card games. For me Heartstone looks to become a game with the potential of a lot of quick games, which doesn't mean that those games will be simple at all though. Personally I wouldn't dismiss Heartstone out of hand and I'll be playing it as much as possible as soon as I get in the beta.

JKat
05-25-2013, 12:24 PM
Solforge is tactical.
HEX is strategical.
Hearthstone is casual :)

~

I can see a difference between Hex and Hearthstone.

So is Solforge be somewhere in between, as mix of Hex and Hearthstone?

ForgedSol
05-25-2013, 12:33 PM
SolForge requires completely different strategies when compared to Hex/Magic. You have a 30 card deck, draw 5 cards every turn (but throw away your old hand), and can use two cards per turn with no casting cost. Every four turns your hand/deck/graveyard reshuffle. Every card has three levels, and every time you play a card it Levels Up (Ex: Level I Burn Spell: Deal 4 Damage to Target Creature, Level II Burn: Deal 8 Damage, Level III Burn: Deal 12 Damage). So when you reshuffle, you now have a chance of drawing your Leveled Up cards. Important to note it is a lane based card game with five lanes.

So it feels like a tactics puzzle as you're getting used to the game. You have a five cards, there is the board state in front of you, and you figure out what is best. Later on, you start learning to respond to future Leveled cards your opponent will get, by Leveling cards in your own hand that may not be the best choice at the moment, but will serve you better in later turns.

Other card examples would be a Dragon Egg --> Dragon, on par with other Level II creatures --> Massive Dragon that is above the creature curve.

Since there is no mana, game balance comes from tweaking the power levels of each card in their respective levels.

Similarities to Hex:

-Being designed for digital only
-Same booster prices
-It is similar to Magic in that it appears to have all five colors divided into Factions (with the exception that Blue/White are merged into one Faction) to follow similar philosophies.
- It is F2P, or you can buy boosters
-Campaign mode

Differences to Hex:

-While Hex mirrors a lot of Magic's mechanics, SolForge has some "Magic-ness" to it since it is designed and created by StoneBlade which includes several Magic Pro Players including Brian Kibler, and they are working with the creator of Magic the Gathering, Richard Garfield, on the project.
-The game does not have instants, which allows them to have asynchronous play. There will be live games, but you have the option to play slower games through the asynchronous mode throughout the day. Even though there are no instants, there will be cards that trigger on your opponents turn and there will be cards with information hidden from your opponent, so there will still be bluffing aspects to the game.
-The campaign mode will earn you PvP cards. This will be kept in check to preserve the secondary market. It's not set in stone how, but they said this is what they're working with, that PvP cards earned through campaign will not be tradable.

It is a radically different game than Hex/MTGO, which is why I'll be playing both, but will not playing Hex and MTGO at the same time.

JKat
05-26-2013, 12:39 AM
cool, thanks for the explanation...

All three games seem to stand out in their own way.

SomeoneRandom
05-26-2013, 01:00 AM
@ForgedSol do beta users get keys they can give out or is there a sign up somewhere?(saw info on their site but no where to sign up) Sounds fairly interesting and a way to quell my need to play card games until Hex :D

ForgedSol
05-26-2013, 01:12 AM
@ForgedSol do beta users get keys they can give out or is there a sign up somewhere?(saw info on their site but no where to sign up) Sounds fairly interesting and a way to quell my need to play card games until Hex :D

If you have an iPad, you can download the demo right now. Otherwise you'll need to look out on their Facebook page, twitter (@StoneBladeEnt), or watch their weekly streams on Thursdays for when they announce beta key giveaways.

Note: The current iPad version had a tweak to the AI that made the difficulty easier than what it previously was (At least with the hardest difficultly. Harder to tell with Easy mode). The bug has been identified and the AI will be changed in a future update. This is a Beta after all.

[If anyone was wondering, no, I don't work for them, obviously my forum name is derived from SolForge, and I just wanted to have the same id for both games. I backed that first because it was on kickstarter first. But I'm backing this game as well, right now for pretty much the same amount.]

Facilier
05-26-2013, 05:38 AM
To me Hearthstone looks like to be as casual as ...Starcraft

You mean that game that is essentially a national sport in one country, where being good at it is a legitimate career choice, and they have constructed whole broadcast networks to show its tournaments?

http://www.sc2earnings.com/

But yeah. I think HearthStone is very different from Hex. Hex is a game for card gamers to be able to enjoy MMOs in their own "language", HearthStone looks like it will be a taste of the Azeroth flavour, in a fast and fun little card game you can sometimes spend 30 minutes on.

Punk
05-26-2013, 09:16 AM

Then Hex looks like its going to give Magic a run for its money. As someone that has 1000s of magic cards from playing in the 90s and I love the Wow TCG I am so freaking pump for it.This seems to sum it up for me as well.

Same here.

In addition to what was previously said, I would also trust Cryptozoic with the future of a card game over the other two companies that have been referenced in this thread.

-Punk

TheFallen
05-26-2013, 10:29 AM
Hex vs Hearthstone = Tyson vs an ewock

GK + 2xPP

Ju66ernaut
06-21-2013, 05:28 AM
Yes, I think Hearthstone will be the springboard introduction into other card games. I'll probably check it out, but it doesn't look like it would hold my interest more than one drunken evening.

Corpselocker hit it on the nose. I think a majority of WoW players will give hearthstone a shot, if they get hooked they'll google search "Wow card game" (or something similar) for more info, find CZ via WoWTCG then find Hex via CZ.

In the end, I think Hearthstone is going to send Hex a steady stream of new players who want to play a strategic card game without the restraints put in place by Hearthstone.

TheWrathofShane
06-21-2013, 06:43 AM
Hearthstone is going to be a laid back casual TCG, and tons of fun.
Hex is going to be an epic TCG, and tons of fun.