PDA

View Full Version : Are legendary cards are truly gonna be legendary

imacpc
05-24-2013, 04:45 PM
Just wondering if anyone here know what the % chances of getting a legendary card out of a booster i just hope they aint gonna make this thing common since that will kill the value and prices of these card.

I myself hope it would be 1% for boosters and maybe 5-10% for primal packs so it keeps value kind of like tf2 unique hats

Malicus
05-24-2013, 04:47 PM
Primals will likely have at least 1 Legendary but primal itself probably have a fairly low % chance.

wallofomens
05-24-2013, 04:47 PM
I would expect them to be about as rare as MtG's Mythics.

Hexmage
05-24-2013, 04:50 PM
Looking at the cards spoiled so far, all uniques are either rare or legendary. Making them just as rare as any other rare.

EDIT: was messing up magic terminology in my head again

ramseytheory
05-25-2013, 01:32 AM
Unfortunately your vehicle for financial investment seems to coincide with my means of having fun. Believe it or not, I'd quite like to be able to run a viable constructed deck without spending literally thousands of dollars, and that means a 1% rate would be completely insane. It's more likely that we'll be looking at something like a 10% chance for legendaries and a 1% chance for any given pack to be primal.

Hieronymous
05-25-2013, 03:46 AM
Yeah, I actually hope legendaries aren't that much rarer or more powerful than normal rare cards. Too extreme and they ruin the game because everyone has to have that specific legendary card in their deck and everything gets homogenous.

Yasi
05-25-2013, 04:14 AM
Unfortunately your vehicle for financial investment seems to coincide with my means of having fun. Believe it or not, I'd quite like to be able to run a viable constructed deck without spending literally thousands of dollars, and that means a 1% rate would be completely insane. It's more likely that we'll be looking at something like a 10% chance for legendaries and a 1% chance for any given pack to be primal.

10% for a primal; 1% for a legendary.

Hexmage
05-25-2013, 04:29 AM
In Magic Mythic Rares (their legendaries) replace a rare in every 8 packs. If they are good they get pretty expensive, the most expensive one reached 100 dollars at some point.

houjix
05-25-2013, 05:56 AM
In WoW TCG epics show up once every 11 packs or so.

Estar1
05-25-2013, 10:58 AM
id expect something like 1 in every 10 packs or so (10%), as there is the chance (prob like 1-2%0 for primal pack as well

DanTheMeek
05-25-2013, 01:40 PM
I keep seeing similar sentiments to that of the topic creator in numerous topics on this forum and its incredibly confusing and frustrating. If you people have soooo much money that you need to find a way to get rid of it, I've got an easy solution for you, donate it to a charity. There you go, problem solved, and now the rest of us don't have to pay excessive fees to enjoy all the cards in a set.

Conversely if your looking for an investment opportunity... invest in gold... or stocks... or bonds... or any of the many other investment opportunities that exist. Why on earth do you want to reduce the number of players who can actually enjoy everything this game's pvp will have just so you can turn this into another investment opportunity? If you want to specifically invest in this company, then donate more to the kickstarter or buy stock in cryptozoic, neither of these will hurt the game (and your own investment in the long run) as much as having prohibitive costs to collect playsets of sets due to making certain cards absurdly hard to come by and thus absurdly expensive to buy off the AH.

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest.

Talreth
05-25-2013, 01:43 PM
I keep seeing similar sentiments to that of the topic creator in numerous topics on this forum and its incredibly confusing and frustrating. If you people have soooo much money that you need to find a way to get rid of it, I've got an easy solution for you, donate it to a charity. There you go, problem solved, and now the rest of us don't have to pay excessive fees to enjoy all the cards in a set.

Conversely if your looking for an investment opportunity... invest in gold... or stocks... or bonds... or any of the many other investment opportunities that exist. Why on earth do you want to reduce the number of players who can actually enjoy everything this game's pvp will have just so you can turn this into another investment opportunity? If you want to specifically invest in this company, then donate more to the kickstarter or buy stock in cryptozoic, neither of these will hurt the game (and your own investment in the long run) as much as having prohibitive costs to collect playsets of sets due to making certain cards absurdly hard to come by and thus absurdly expensive to buy off the AH.

So, just rare enough that everyone will have a playset after $50? $20? What is "absurdly expensive"

IndigoShade
05-25-2013, 01:50 PM

NM kind of misunderstood the post a little. Anyway, the whole point of some cards being more rare than others is that not everyone will have them. Which sounds obvious, but your whole complaint seems as if you don't agree with that. In which case, maybe TCG's aren't for you. Not that I'm trying to scare off a potential player or anything. That's just kind of how TCG's work. Either pay a lot to get everything or live with the fact that you won't have absolutely everything.

Talreth
05-25-2013, 01:53 PM
I'm just kind of wondering Dan's general price threshold for "after I've spent this much money I should have everything"

theghost32
05-25-2013, 01:56 PM
I asked crypto this very question and they said they were still working on the formula

DanTheMeek
05-25-2013, 02:37 PM
My point is people seem to be concerned that the game won't be expensive enough and that certain cards won't be rare enough, which is apparently bad because it would mean that the extremely wealthy won't have the advantage over those less wealthy (or just less easily parted with their money) or because their cards won't have as much resale value (which I also dont' understand because if you have to pay more more to get them, how are you making money by being able to sell them for more, your just coming out even).

I have a whole nother thread dedicated to the pricing, so I'm not going to say that pricing doesn't concern me, I would like for this game to be accessible to a wider audience then most card games, but the point of my post in this thread is simply that I don't understand why so many posters actually want the game to be more expensive and less accessible. Cause thats all you accomplih by making legendary cards harder to get, if you get them you can sell them for more (if this game even has real money selling potential which it may not) but its going to cost you more money to actually get it in the first place so you don't really come out on top, all you do is make it more expensive to build decks that need legendary cards to function correctly. This might make cryptozoic more money (though that is debatable as the number of players lost do to being intimidated by the costs could cancel out the gains and maybe even lost money in the long run due to a smaller player base) but its not really helping you as a player in anyway.

Anyway, I might not always understand them, but people are free to their opinions, just wanted to share my own.

IndigoShade
05-25-2013, 02:44 PM
I understand and even agree with some of your points, but the chasing down of rare cards is part of the appeal of TCG's to some people. It just comes with the territory. It's just a matter of finding the "sweet spot", and like theghost32 posted it's something they'll have to give a bit of thought to working out.

DanTheMeek
05-25-2013, 03:57 PM
I guess I can see that side of it, though I kind of feel like if you want to chase rares, that's what the PvE side of it should be for, since that's a format where making legendaries really really hard to get is actually purely a positive as it gives players something to continue to strive for after they've beaten all of the single player content, while one player having more free time to grind for them then another doesn't hurt the guy or girl with less free time as what they face in the single player companion does not change based on what legendaries other players have.

Talreth
05-25-2013, 03:59 PM
Actually you're forgetting with PP and GK it won't cost these people a dime to get chase rares, flip on the AH, and then (they wish) cash out.

ForgedSol
05-25-2013, 04:10 PM
The thing about price and rarity is that when cards are hard to come by, it creates not just monetary value, but creates emotional investment, and that emotional investment is what keeps people hooked to the game. You can't just make PvE cards rare and PvP cards cost a flat rate because a lot of people coming to the game won't care about PvE at all.

Rarity also helps with balancing limited (Drafting and Sealed), and creates a market where people feel comfortable pumping money into the game. People don't see, "I'm paying $5 for a card" they see, "I'm paying $5 for a card that may go up in price later, and if not at least I'll likely get some of my money back when I don't want it anymore." If cards are to easy to come by, then people won't play as much, and especially won't draft as much. If everyone could get a full playset of cards in a handful of boosters, there would be no market, and getting a ton of extra cards when drafting that you can't trade away now feels like garbage rather than extra copies to acquire something you need or straight up cash.

heavyhitter86
05-25-2013, 05:43 PM
If it is a 10% chance for a rare in a pack that is much better than another game I played where people routinely spent 100's of dollars chasing a legendary card.

With that said I completely agree with Dan's points and do not feel that a casual spender should be priced out of PvP content.

Talreth
05-25-2013, 05:45 PM
If it is a 10% chance for a rare in a pack that is much better than another game I played where people routinely spent 100's of dollars chasing a legendary card.

With that said I completely agree with Dan's points and do not feel that a casual spender should be priced out of PvP content.

Every pack has a rare. Nobody will be "priced out" of PvP content, but they may be at a competitive disadvantage depending on how you define "casual spender"

heavyhitter86
05-25-2013, 05:46 PM
Every pack has a rare. Nobody will be "priced out" of PvP content, but they may be at a competitive disadvantage depending on how you define "casual spender"

Apologies, I meant Legend (or Epic, whichever this game calls their highest rarity).

Yasi
05-25-2013, 05:51 PM

It's just the nature of any competitive games, really. Whether it's spending money or time, you can't really expect someone who doesn't put a lot of effort into something to be on equal footing with someone who does. And besides, the PvP portion will also be ranked, so hopefully if it's as good as it can be, you should be matched with other casual players. The same goes for tournaments. Lastly, there has to be winners and losers at the end of the day, so I don't know why people expect anything else.

Also, there has been some mention of this, but there will always be "psuedo-legendaries." So I don't think you need to worry too much.

Talreth
05-25-2013, 05:52 PM
And besides, the PvP portion will also be ranked,

afaik this was still up in the air?

Yasi
05-25-2013, 05:58 PM
Red-Eyes Black Dragon

Talreth
05-25-2013, 06:15 PM
Red-Eyes Black Dragon

Blue eyes white dragon

Lochar