PDA

View Full Version : breaking Replicator's Gambit

Tinuvas
05-24-2013, 06:11 PM
OK, I'm assuming a number of things here, but I'm doing so based on evidence, so:

Let's say you take a nice Master Beast Rider (2/2 socketable with buffing power) and lay the ol' Replicator's Gambit on him. He disappears into your deck with a permanent, "When this troop enters play, if you played it from your hand, create six copies of it and put them into play". We know that.

So, wonder of wonders, he shows back up and you lay the man down. Outside of the Beast Rider's awesome buffing ability, he has that 6 copy mechanic which produces a pile of troops, each with their own gem and 'create 6 more of me when you play me from your hand'. At this point, based on the 'Void Leech Phantasm' card, I can assume that there are a number of 'return to hand' effects on cards in the game (we'll have to see more reveals to confirm this, but I'll bet there are). Using any of these effects (especially if it's repeatable) pulls a rider into your hand (where he retains that '6 copy' mechanic), and when he drops you have 6 MORE bonus baddies who all can then wash, rinse, repeat. If this is all so, pretty quick someone had better drop an Extinction or you'll be swimming in turtles!

Is that how you all read that?

Truhls
05-24-2013, 06:13 PM
If you somehow manage to pull that off id probably just let you win for the sheer luck/amount of time/ and spells it costs to make that happen.

Madican
05-24-2013, 06:16 PM
Turtle power dude.

Hieronymous
05-24-2013, 06:18 PM
It would seem that pack raptors are the more natural combination with replicator's gambit.

wallofomens
05-24-2013, 06:18 PM

No. :) What you just described is cute, but probably won't ever work in competitive play. "Killing" your own guy and expecting to magically draw him? No, thank you. A tutor of some kind could probably make the Replicator's Gambit a real card, though.

Ebynfel
05-24-2013, 06:22 PM
I think with Dwarven decks and the digging artifacts look like they will offer you, will we see the best use of Replicator's Gambit. plus, I think the Sapphire cards may have the lion's share of return abilities, but if you can gambit several troops or constructs, and dig for cards to pull off the massive army, that it will be a bit easier to pull off. Going Cantrip heavy, should there be a variety of them, will likely help as well. Without a tutor does it work consistently? Maybe not, but when you have serious draw power and bounce ability, an army is an army.

Estar1
05-24-2013, 06:22 PM
What is more reasonable would be to use replicators gambit on something like Blaze elemental (the 3 charge power, 3/1 speed) This creature dies at end of turn anyway so not killing one of your own creatures. should u draw it again u get 7 blaze elemenatls to attack with : )

Tinuvas
05-24-2013, 06:27 PM
It would seem that pack raptors are the more natural combination with replicator's gambit.

That's true and I agree. I just used the Beast Rider as an example. My point was that if you could get your replicated dude (or any of his clones) back into your hand in a repeatable way, the '6 copy' mechanic would stick around and trigger upon re-casting. At least that's how I see it. If I did that, pack raptors WOULD be the card of choice out of our currently revealed collection I think.

If you somehow manage to pull that off id probably just let you win for the sheer luck/amount of time/ and spells it costs to make that happen.

True! Less concerned about the combinations (which, as you imply, would be almost impossible to pull off) and more about the repeatability of the mechanic though.

No. :) What you just described is cute, but probably won't ever work in competitive play. "Killing" your own guy and expecting to magically draw him? No, thank you. A tutor of some kind could probably make the Replicator's Gambit a real card, though.

Cute? Absolutely! Playable? ROFL. I'm waiting for a good tutor, but there are other elements I'm looking at, unfinished in my mind as of yet, but...

ramseytheory
05-24-2013, 06:29 PM
What is more reasonable would be to use replicators gambit on something like Blaze elemental (the 3 charge power, 3/1 speed) This creature dies at end of turn anyway so not killing one of your own creatures. should u draw it again u get 7 blaze elemenatls to attack with : )

...which then die at the end of your turn. I think a better way to go along those lines would be otherwise average creatures which have an ability which triggers when you put them in play. Then you have complete domination of the board after the gambit triggers, and you're still not losing the full value of the creature you kill, but as a bonus you get seven copies of whatever the ability was.

Tinuvas
05-24-2013, 06:32 PM
I think with Dwarven decks and the digging artifacts look like they will offer you, will we see the best use of Replicator's Gambit. plus, I think the Sapphire cards may have the lion's share of return abilities, but if you can gambit several troops or constructs, and dig for cards to pull off the massive army, that it will be a bit easier to pull off. Going Cantrip heavy, should there be a variety of them, will likely help as well. Without a tutor does it work consistently? Maybe not, but when you have serious draw power and bounce ability, an army is an army.

The cantrip is part of what intrigues me about Gambit. While I was away from my PC today I was thinking of Gambit as an 'unsummon', but it essentially 'kills' your troop as far as card advantage goes (He's not even in your graveyard to play with). Get home, see the 'draw card' on him, and start thinking heavier...I see possibilities there. Nothing solid yet, but as you say with an assumed strength in Sapphire of bounce and draw, maybe tutor...

Ebynfel
05-24-2013, 06:34 PM
The cantrip is part of what intrigues me about Gambit. While I was away from my PC today I was thinking of Gambit as an 'unsummon', but it essentially 'kills' your troop as far as card advantage goes (He's not even in your graveyard to play with). Get home, see the 'draw card' on him, and start thinking heavier...I see possibilities there. Nothing solid yet, but as you say with an assumed strength in Sapphire of bounce and draw, maybe tutor...

I am pretty sure the first tutors we are likely to see will be Blood or artifact tutors of some type. They seem to be the ones that 'fit' best with the feel of the gems. If it is an artifact tutor, then an artifact troop with Gambit will be a no brainer.

***EDIT***

Artifact tutor being either an artifact, or a Sapphire action or troop being my best guesses.

Tinuvas
05-24-2013, 06:38 PM
I think a better way to go along those lines would be otherwise average creatures which have an ability which triggers when you put them in play.

Obviously, a troop that bounces 'target troop' as it comes into play would be incredible. I just love the idea of an 'aura' that sticks like glue to your creature can just be fun as anything, not to mention turning some standard Magic ideas of card advantage a bit sideways (I kill your buffed troop with 2 new abilities on it with my one card...I just got a 3 for 1! oh wait, you brought the troop back from the graveyard? With the 2 abilities intact? oh dang.)

Thelaasa
05-24-2013, 07:23 PM
OK, I'm assuming a number of things here, but I'm doing so based on evidence, so:

Let's say you take a nice Master Beast Rider (2/2 socketable with buffing power) and lay the ol' Replicator's Gambit on him. He disappears into your deck with a permanent, "When this troop enters play, if you played it from your hand, create six copies of it and put them into play". We know that.

So, wonder of wonders, he shows back up and you lay the man down. Outside of the Beast Rider's awesome buffing ability, he has that 6 copy mechanic which produces a pile of troops, each with their own gem and 'create 6 more of me when you play me from your hand'. At this point, based on the 'Void Leech Phantasm' card, I can assume that there are a number of 'return to hand' effects on cards in the game (we'll have to see more reveals to confirm this, but I'll bet there are). Using any of these effects (especially if it's repeatable) pulls a rider into your hand (where he retains that '6 copy' mechanic), and when he drops you have 6 MORE bonus baddies who all can then wash, rinse, repeat. If this is all so, pretty quick someone had better drop an Extinction or you'll be swimming in turtles!

I disagree with this assessment. Based upon my experience with TCG's in general, the "copy" ability will only be on the one card you played, not the 6 copies that come into play with him. Granted, you could theoretically play the main one, get the copies, bounce the main one back to your hand, and repeat this process. Also, I am not sure how the copies created will be handled specifically with this game, but in every other TCG I have played, when a copy of something is created, it isn't actually a real card, and any sort of effect that removes a copy from the board effectively removes it from the game.

So yes, in theory you could create a veritable army of clones using Replicators Gambit and various bounce effects, but the luck required to be able to pull that off would make it a very hit-or-miss style of strategy. Not only are you relying on the ability to get one of the cards you want to clone onto the field, then get the gambit to clone it, then get it back out of your deck and onto the field, and then getting enough bounce effects keep cycling it, but you are also hoping that your opponents deck doesn't screw that up in any of a thousand different ways anywhere along the process.

Ebynfel
05-24-2013, 07:32 PM
I disagree with this assessment. Based upon my experience with TCG's in general, the "copy" ability will only be on the one card you played, not the 6 copies that come into play with him. Granted, you could theoretically play the main one, get the copies, bounce the main one back to your hand, and repeat this process. Also, I am not sure how the copies created will be handled specifically with this game, but in every other TCG I have played, when a copy of something is created, it isn't actually a real card, and any sort of effect that removes a copy from the board effectively removes it from the game.

So yes, in theory you could create a veritable army of clones using Replicators Gambit and various bounce effects, but the luck required to be able to pull that off would make it a very hit-or-miss style of strategy. Not only are you relying on the ability to get one of the cards you want to clone onto the field, then get the gambit to clone it, then get it back out of your deck and onto the field, and then getting enough bounce effects keep cycling it, but you are also hoping that your opponents deck doesn't screw that up in any of a thousand different ways anywhere along the process.

It has already been stated that tokens do not exist in hex. They are cards, that can be reshuffled, bounced, recalled from the grayveyard, etc. They can be added by other cards and created, but become normal cards for all intents and purposes. Also, all permantent stat or ability changes do not change by being bounced, destroyed etc. A stat or ability on a card is from then on, that game, simply a part of that card. So if a card with an ability that says 'cast from hand: copy 6 times' then all of those copies have that ability unless the original card says they don't. And they can be bounced, replayed, reshuffled, etc.

houjix
05-24-2013, 07:32 PM
. Also, I am not sure how the copies created will be handled specifically with this game, but in every other TCG I have played, when a copy of something is created, it isn't actually a real card, and any sort of effect that removes a copy from the board effectively removes it from the game.

In Hex, tokens become real cards for the duration of the game. If you noticed, the Battle Hoppers tokens created by the Shin'hare card have a cost and everything. They go to the graveyard when destroyed or back to hand when bounced and can be interacted with and replayed as if it was a real card.

wallofomens
05-24-2013, 07:33 PM
Also, I am not sure how the copies created will be handled specifically with this game, but in every other TCG I have played, when a copy of something is created, it isn't actually a real card, and any sort of effect that removes a copy from the board effectively removes it from the game.

Not in HEX. Here any "tokens" created are real cards and if bounced go to your hand, if killed to the graveyard. Ofcourse disappear after the game, though.

ShaolinRaven
05-24-2013, 07:34 PM
Replicator's Gambit probably disappears after you play the card the second time. I know it doesn't say it, but I would expect the card to loose the replicate ability once it is played and creates its six copies. You're assuming this is a permanent buff, when most likely it is a one shot buff.

wallofomens
05-24-2013, 07:36 PM
Replicator's Gambit probably disappears after you play the card the second time. I know it doesn't say it, but I would expect the card to loose the replicate ability once it is played and creates its six copies. You're assuming this is a permanent buff, when most likely it is a one shot buff.

http://hex.potion-of-wit.com/img/cards/ReplicatorsGam-215x300.png

Notice the word Permanent. :) It stays on the card no matter what happens to it.

Madican
05-24-2013, 07:43 PM
If you could pull it off, especially with Mirrorblade equipment, it would be absolutely devastating.

Ebynfel
05-24-2013, 07:50 PM
Get Zombie Plagues rolling and start gambiting your opponent's troops:)

Just for fun, obv

wallofomens
05-24-2013, 07:53 PM
Get Zombie Plagues rolling and start gambiting your opponent's troops:)

Just for fun, obv

But you can't. :D It says "target troop you control".

ShaolinRaven
05-24-2013, 08:04 PM
http://hex.potion-of-wit.com/img/cards/ReplicatorsGam-215x300.png

Notice the word Permanent. :) It stays on the card no matter what happens to it.

Yeah I missed the permanent part, so if you can bounce that card back to your hand then ouch, especially with things that replicate or create others. Can you imagine bouncing a theorycrafter constantly or Eurig. The warbot rampage would just be wrong.

wallofomens
05-24-2013, 08:09 PM
Yeah I missed the permanent part, so if you can bounce that card back to your hand then ouch, especially with things that replicate or create others. Can you imagine bouncing a theorycrafter constantly or Eurig. The warbot rampage would just be wrong.

Indeed. But to be honest casting any decent replicated troop should win you the game in one/two turns, the whole bouncing and recasting is a bit excessive. The tough part with the Replicator's Gambit is finding the replicated troop from your deck.

ShaolinRaven
05-24-2013, 08:12 PM
Indeed. But to be honest casting any decent replicated troop should win you the game in one/two turns, the whole bouncing and recasting is a bit excessive. The tough part with the Replicator's Gambit is finding the replicated troop from your deck.

But finding ways to bounce a card would be great for a swarm deck that needs more low powered creatures. Sure we've pointed out excessive bounces, but an inspire deck with lower cost inspire troops or a Shin'hare deck would benefit more from a bounce effect.

Ebynfel
05-24-2013, 08:13 PM
But you can't. :D It says "target troop you control".

I think I see what you did there :)

Ebynfel
05-24-2013, 08:14 PM

Warbot would be a damned fine target if there's any way the Dwarves can bust it out with a tutor ability. I'm thinking lore wise, that this is the most likely way to break it. We havent seen an artifact tutor that I am aware of, but I am reasonably certain the possibility will exist.

Fateanomaly
05-24-2013, 08:17 PM
If someone can find a reliable way to transform enlighten seeker to the transcended then gambit will be very powerful in the deck.

dogmod
05-24-2013, 08:39 PM
What a fun card... attack... opponent sets blocks.... play replicator on troop that would die and not kill your opponents card that is blocking... draw a card... use cards to find it or not.. whatever

ShaolinRaven
05-24-2013, 08:41 PM
What a fun card... attack... opponent sets blocks.... play replicator on troop that would die and not kill your opponents card that is blocking... draw a card... use cards to find it or not.. whatever

Except its not a quick action, just basic so you can't use it to respond to a block.

Talreth
05-24-2013, 09:09 PM
One way that might be easier to do this if there are no tutors is to mill yourself and pull it from the GY

Ebynfel
05-24-2013, 09:13 PM
One way that might be easier to do this if there are no tutors is to mill yourself and pull it from the GY

may not be a bad idea

Tyrfang
05-24-2013, 10:22 PM
I think the best combo would be with a threaten or something similar.

Showsni
05-24-2013, 10:28 PM
If you want to go overkill, what about Gambiting something you've already Gambited and got back once? Next time you get it, it makes 12 copies!

Tyrfang
05-24-2013, 10:30 PM
Gambit x4 a pack raptor.

ShaolinRaven
05-24-2013, 10:45 PM
If you want to go overkill, what about Gambiting something you've already Gambited and got back once? Next time you get it, it makes 12 copies!

Somehow I don't think the abilities would stack. You would still only create 6 copies, that would be really sick if they did. On the other hand you are shuffling the card back into your deck so it is still a risk it doesn't come back up, so maybe it would stack. I'd rather gambit multiple creatures though, variety is better in my opinion.

wallofomens
05-24-2013, 10:47 PM
I'm pretty sure they do stack. :) No reason for them not to.

ShaolinRaven
05-24-2013, 11:14 PM
I'm pretty sure they do stack. :) No reason for them not to.

The question boils down into how they interpret the phrase and whether phrase stacking occurs on the same card. So if you have create 6 cards twice does it resolve once, or does it resolve once for each. Of course if it does stack then it should just be an additive so with the second it gains "Create 12 Copies" and if it works like this then it would also make stacking other abilities easier, for instance a Rage 2 card gains another Rage 3 ability, should just update to Rage 5.

Personally I'd rather Gambit just resolve once and if you want to replicate that card again use one of the copies or one of the other ones in your deck.

wallofomens
05-24-2013, 11:25 PM
The question boils down into how they interpret the phrase and whether phrase stacking occurs on the same card. So if you have create 6 cards twice does it resolve once, or does it resolve once for each. Of course if it does stack then it should just be an additive so with the second it gains "Create 12 Copies" and if it works like this then it would also make stacking other abilities easier, for instance a Rage 2 card gains another Rage 3 ability, should just update to Rage 5.

Personally I'd rather Gambit just resolve once and if you want to replicate that card again use one of the copies or one of the other ones in your deck.

I imagine it will be two triggers of 6 cards created, and two triggers for +2/+0 and +3/+0 for the Rage example. But this is coming from my MtG experience where for example 2 Exalted (http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/article/Exalted) triggers on the same card would trigger seperately one after another.

ShaolinRaven
05-24-2013, 11:28 PM
I imagine it will be two triggers of 6 cards created, and two triggers for +2/+0 and +3/+0 for the Rage example. But this is coming from my MtG experience where for example 2 Exalted (http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/article/Exalted) triggers on the same card would trigger seperately one after another.

Yeah, but this being digital they can auto stack it and just combine effects so they act as one constant effect thus gaining momentum as a single ability with multiple stacks on the same card. The only reason you need to have separate effects going off in Hex is if a troop or constant is giving it out to your other troops. If it is an action that just buffs a card it should just stack much like Atk/Def boosting actions.

wallofomens
05-24-2013, 11:39 PM
Yeah, but this being digital they can auto stack it and just combine effects so they act as one constant effect thus gaining momentum as a single ability with multiple stacks on the same card. The only reason you need to have separate effects going off in Hex is if a troop or constant is giving it out to your other troops. If it is an action that just buffs a card it should just stack much like Atk/Def boosting actions.

Well, I would much rather them be seperate triggers or addative like you said than having the largest trigger cancel out all others(e.g. a troop with Rage 3 and Rage 2 acts as if it only has Rage 3, or casting 2 Gambits on the same cards, still making only 6 copies).

I just think that CZE will stick to what MtG has esatblished so far regarding triggers. Call it a hunch. :)

ShaolinRaven
05-24-2013, 11:54 PM
Well, I would much rather them be seperate triggers or addative like you said than having the largest trigger cancel out all others(e.g. a troop with Rage 3 and Rage 2 acts as if it only has Rage 3, or casting 2 Gambits on the same cards, still making only 6 copies).

I just think that CZE will stick to what MtG has esatblished so far regarding triggers. Call it a hunch. :)

I'm not so sure only because MtG does it because it is a physical card game and you basically have to tally up your cards and effects, so you are basically doing the work yourself saying "This effect happens, now this, now this, now yours, now this, now your interupt, now this... for a grand total of that effect", but for Hex it just needs to say "All this stacks cause it is the same freaking ability, poof now it all happens as one ability, and now these truly separate abilities activate".

Tinuvas
05-25-2013, 12:06 AM
I'm not so sure only because MtG does it because it is a physical card game and you basically have to tally up your cards and effects, so you are basically doing the work yourself saying "This effect happens, now this, now this, now yours, now this, now your interupt, now this... for a grand total of that effect", but for Hex it just needs to say "All this stacks cause it is the same freaking ability, poof now it all happens as one ability, and now these truly separate abilities activate".

The only concern I would have with Hex auto stacking effects would be that it would limit your ability to control certain situations, effectively 'dumbing down' the game for simplicities sake. It would remove strategic options that would be vital in some decks. They could answer this with very specific set of rules defining how things are put on the chain so that you can create your decks with those rules in mind, but they'd have to let us know what those are. We'll see how it plays out. If they could combine stackable effects, or at least do all the math homework on them, it would be nice.

ShaolinRaven
05-25-2013, 12:21 AM
The only concern I would have with Hex auto stacking effects would be that it would limit your ability to control certain situations, effectively 'dumbing down' the game for simplicities sake. It would remove strategic options that would be vital in some decks. They could answer this with very specific set of rules defining how things are put on the chain so that you can create your decks with those rules in mind, but they'd have to let us know what those are. We'll see how it plays out. If they could combine stackable effects, or at least do all the math homework on them, it would be nice.

I'm fine either way. I played a ton of MtG so I'm used to dealing with some crazy chain stacks and if they went that route then at least the computer side of it should figure it all out and make it happen pretty quick, I just think it will be cleaner and easier for new players to understand what is going on, it is not necessarily "dumbing it down" just making permanent effects additive to a single effect.

To clarify as well I'm not talking about quick/basic actions that might give an effect auto resolving, but if it gives a card an effect and you let that quick/basic action resolve then afterwards it should just be considered a single effect on the card you buffed. Or if you have a troop or constant that you can pay something or exhaust to give another card an effect, if you don't stop that action then it becomes an additive buff, but if you destroy either card before it resolves you stop the action. Its basically what we've already seen with the cards that boost a troops Atk/Def where once the buff action resolves that bonus becomes permanent.

dogmod
05-25-2013, 12:34 AM
Except its not a quick action, just basic so you can't use it to respond to a block.

They have never said that basic actions cannot be played in response to a block.. stop thinking magic style... So far the only difference between basic and instant are the ability to play on an opponents turn or not...

ShaolinRaven
05-25-2013, 12:38 AM
They have never said that basic actions cannot be played in response to a block.. stop thinking magic style... So far the only difference between basic and instant are the ability to play on an opponents turn or not...

I have yet to see them play a basic action during an attack phase but they have played plenty of quick actions. In fact there were a few attack phases when someone had forgotten to use a basic action and couldn't until after the attack had resolved in the Twitch feed.

dogmod
05-25-2013, 12:39 AM
I have yet to see them play a basic action during an attack phase but they have played plenty of quick actions. In fact there were a few attack phases when someone had forgotten to use a basic action and couldn't until after the attack had resolved in the Twitch feed.

I have seen them forget to use their champions ability.. haven't seen any failure to use basic action..

dogmod
05-25-2013, 12:41 AM

Oh and look at Ninja Cats card for your answer...

ShaolinRaven
05-25-2013, 12:48 AM
Oh and look at Ninja Cats card for your answer...

That is a specific ability to a specific card, you can't judge every basic action based on Ninja Training, Ninja Training gives an attacking creature -1/-1 if you REVEAL it, not cast it and its casting cost goes up by one, never says "cast and target creature gets -1/-1". If we could base how one REVEAL action works on one basic action card, I could just as easily say it doesn't work like that because of how Mortar Strike or Atrophy doesn't say to use it on an attacking creature.

dogmod
05-25-2013, 12:50 AM
That is a specific ability to a specific card, you can't judge every basic action based on Ninja Training, Ninja Training gives an attacking creature -1/-1 if you REVEAL it, not cast it and its casting cost goes up by one, never says "cast and target creature gets -1/-1". If we could base how one REVEAL action works on one basic action card, I could just as easily say it doesn't work like that because of how Mortar Strike or Atrophy doesn't say to use it on an attacking creature.

A reasonable answer... Reveal could be different than basic action.. still no evidence that basic action cannot be played in that time.. I am willing to be wrong

ShaolinRaven
05-25-2013, 12:53 AM
A reasonable answer... Reveal could be different than basic action.. still no evidence that basic action cannot be played in that time.. I am willing to be wrong

It is speculation on both our parts and things can change before we even get the beta version. So same on my end, we are both working on previous experiences/expectations on how other games work so we just get to have speculative debates until we either play the game or Crypto says "Actually it works like this on a half moon, but on a full moon it works like this, and you never want to play it on a quarter moon or during eclipses".

Actually now that I think about it, that would be an awesome random card effect.

dogmod
05-25-2013, 12:55 AM
It is speculation on both our parts and things can change before we even get the beta version. So same on my end, we are both working on previous experiences/expectations on how other games work so we just get to have speculative debates until we either play the game or Crypto says "Actually it works like this on a half moon, but on a full moon it works like this, and you never want to play it on a quarter moon or during eclipses".

Actually now that I think about it, that would be an awesome random card effect.

I think you just came up with the central dynamic for set 2

Thelaasa
05-25-2013, 02:13 AM
It has already been stated that tokens do not exist in hex. They are cards, that can be reshuffled, bounced, recalled from the grayveyard, etc. They can be added by other cards and created, but become normal cards for all intents and purposes. Also, all permantent stat or ability changes do not change by being bounced, destroyed etc. A stat or ability on a card is from then on, that game, simply a part of that card. So if a card with an ability that says 'cast from hand: copy 6 times' then all of those copies have that ability unless the original card says they don't. And they can be bounced, replayed, reshuffled, etc.

Huh, I must have missed that. That is going to take a lot of getting used to.

Ebynfel
05-25-2013, 02:16 AM
Huh, I must have missed that. That is going to take a lot of getting used to.

Yeah, thats one of the premises of why Hex wil lturn out so different than M:tG thanks to the digital space the cards are in. The sky is the limit, and creating things out of thin pixels is child's play :)