PDA

View Full Version : Testing and game balance concerns

Lefto
05-25-2013, 10:30 AM
First of let me start by saying that i know that the game is still in (pre-)Alpha, but i seem to recall Cory stating that they have already designed the first 2 blocks of cards and also tested them out and that it's all well and balanced.
However, judging by the game-play videos we've seen, where a number of cards didn't trigger their effects properly (e.g one card was supposed to be shuffled back in to deck and went to the graveyard instead), i have come to be somewhat concerned as to how much indeed the game has been tested. Anyone else sharing such thoughts?
Also, before you jump on my throat, let me say that I really like the whole HEX idea and would really love to see it become the next big thing. Heck, I'm even counting on it to be that successful since I'm pledging as a GK myself.

Mike411
05-25-2013, 10:43 AM
Yes, the game hasn't been tested enough, and that is normal, because it's in a pre-alpha stage. Bug fixing doesn't have to be done until tournaments or anything with entry fees are released - that's the only time you can really 'lose out' because of it.

Daer
05-25-2013, 10:50 AM
Testing for balance and testing for functionality are 2 different things.

Lefto
05-25-2013, 10:52 AM
Testing for balance and testing for functionality are 2 different things.
If something doesn't even function, how can you tell if it's balanced? That's my concern basically.

wallofomens
05-25-2013, 10:54 AM
First of let me start by saying that i know that the game is still in (pre-)Alpha, but i seem to recall Cory stating that they have already designed the first 2 blocks of cards and also tested them out and that it's all well and balanced.
However, judging by the game-play videos we've seen, where a number of cards didn't trigger their effects properly (e.g one card was supposed to be shuffled back in to deck and went to the graveyard instead), i have come to be somewhat concerned as to how much indeed the game has been tested. Anyone else sharing such thoughts?
Also, before you jump on my throat, let me say that I really like the whole HEX idea and would really love to see it become the next big thing. Heck, I'm even counting on it to be that successful since I'm pledging as a GK myself.

I'm sorry but do you mean client bug testing or balance testing of different cards, archetypes, shards, etc? As you stated this is still pre-alpha. Most client bugs(e.g. cards not working properly) will be polished by the time beta launches and all of them will probably be fixed during its official release.

What they mean by designed and tested set 1 and 2(I'm not sure I've heard/seen that they are done with set 2) is probably in terms of balance of cards themselves, not whether they work properly in the game client.

I'm sorry if I'm misinterpreting your concerns. :)

Daer
05-25-2013, 10:58 AM
If something doesn't even function, how can you tell if it's balanced? That's my concern basically.

The cards are balanced with each other before they are even put in card format.

Hibbert
05-25-2013, 11:01 AM

There's a debug menu in all the gameplay videos we've see so far. Anytime a card doesn't work right, I bet they can manually adjust whatever needs adjusting. I'm sure that's what they did in playtesting. They just didn't bother to do it for any of the gameplay videos we've seen.

Lefto
05-25-2013, 11:02 AM
I'm sorry but do you mean client bug testing or balance testing of different cards, archetypes, shards, etc? As you stated this is still pre-alpha. Most client bugs(e.g. cards not working properly) will be polished by the time beta launches and all of them will probably be fixed during its official release.

What they mean by designed and tested set 1 and 2(I'm not sure I've heard/seen that they are done with set 2) is probably in terms of balance of cards themselves, not whether they work properly in the game client.

I'm sorry if I'm misinterpreting your concerns. :)

Well, I mean... This is a video game. The only way to test the balance is by actually playing it using the client. How else can they test out the balance of the cards if not by playing them in full functionality?

Liokae
05-25-2013, 11:32 AM
Well, I mean... This is a video game. The only way to test the balance is by actually playing it using the client. How else can they test out the balance of the cards if not by playing them in full functionality?

By manually adjusting the results when a card fails to trigger properly. Have you never heard of debug mode?

Dralon
05-25-2013, 11:34 AM
People need to be prepared, that even once beta begins and people are playing tournaments, people will lose games from bugs, thing will appear that need to be balanced better. Not everything will be perfect coming out of alpha. Things will improve as beta progresses, and progress faster the more constructive feedback we offer along the way.

SacrificialToast
05-25-2013, 07:38 PM
I saw a post a while back from someone who'd been invited to try it out. Apparently they played with physical proxy cards, and the digital mechanics were a pain to keep track of. So, I imagine some testing has been done in that manner. I'd link the post if I remembered at all where it was.

maniza
05-25-2013, 08:09 PM
i dont think that card balance shud be a concern. they have very experienced people that have worked on other tcgs on board. the game might not be perfect but they can balance it out with next set i would worry more about the video game aspect of the game. as crypto does not has experience on that front. im not saing they will do a bad job thou.

ossuary
07-03-2014, 07:57 AM
Wow, a 14 month necro. That's a new record. :p

negativeZer0
07-03-2014, 09:25 AM

I originally had something else here before realizing the thread was necroed

cavench
07-03-2014, 10:06 AM
The starving Lich is on the loose!

Zophie
07-03-2014, 10:21 AM
Did you notice that when SarahDo necro'd the post they modified Daer's quote to include a malicious URL link that wasn't in the original post? Can we report this?

Xenavire
07-03-2014, 10:25 AM
Did you notice that when SarahDo necro'd the post they modified Daer's quote to include a malicious URL link that wasn't in the original post? Can we report this?

Um... Yes, very much yes. Modbots, please remove that link at least, and I hope you can advise SarahDo for a ban.

Chark
07-03-2014, 10:27 AM
It's a spam bot with a highjacked email account and a VPN tunnel to hide its IP.

Nothing to see here. Locking this up :)