PDA

View Full Version : kickstarter funds question

Lazybum
05-25-2013, 01:19 PM
So hex kickstarter is at approx $1.3 million (rounded up at time of this post) . My question is when the kickstarter ends and they go to collect the funds will the number change if people cant pay? Not sure how the whole collecting the funds works was curious if this will effect the stretch goals at all if alot of people backout of their pledge, not saying it will happen im just curious to what will happen if some do.

ForgedSol
05-25-2013, 01:29 PM
There are pretty much always a percentage of funds that don't go through. Especially on one of this size. I expect Cryptozoic to honor the stretch goals though.

Digital_Aether
05-25-2013, 01:37 PM
The amount that gets pulled are usually quite small in proportion to the total fund. You get a week to correct any payment options if just a wrong credit card or something was used. Most pledges that get pulled do so before it actually ends and goes to billing, so it's during the spending boost at the end of a project, letting the holes fill back in if people are dropping PP and GK's for instance.

Lazybum
05-25-2013, 01:37 PM
must say tho kickstarter has a pretty good setup going since they get 5% of the total raised as their fee and really they do nothing but host the page people create

MasterN64
05-25-2013, 01:39 PM
I believe they also arrange for all the payments organize and ship the money to the companies. Its quite a bit of overhead.

Vibraxus
05-25-2013, 01:51 PM
I believe they also arrange for all the payments organize and ship the money to the companies. Its quite a bit of overhead.

Not really, because any merchant who processes credit cards pay to Visa/MC etc...anywhere between 1.5-3.5% (Some can get some crazy discounts, but those are the normal ranges). Still Id like to pocket that left over cash.

Clawdius
05-26-2013, 10:11 AM
Typically 3-8% of pledges are not fulfilled, but some popular Kickstarters have seen less. Torment: TON for example had little enough in the way of failed pledges that they threw in the difference of tens of thousands of dollars to bump the game up to its last stretch goal after Paypal never quite reached the point to bump it up over 4.5mil.

WSzaboPeter
05-26-2013, 10:23 AM
Fist of all, the payment is processed by Amazon, not Kickstarter.
Second Kickstarter is not a charity organization, it has staff and taxes to pay, etc. I think their system is successful and fair. Otherwise the competition (there are plenty) would have taken over.