PDA

View Full Version : Rarity Icons

tgm0112
05-25-2013, 01:56 PM
So I posted the following message on the end of a not-so-related thread, but I suspect most people missed it because the original post had to do with what the different rarity colors indicated. I figured this might bear starting an independent discussion and getting feedback from the community.

As always, much respect for the Hex team and this critique is only meant constructively.

On a slightly related note (or related enough that I didn't care to start a new thread), I actually find myself disliking the rarity indicators a bit. Hex is a game of five different forms of magic, the original blood/wild and more recent diamond/ruby/sapphire. Each color will play very differently and have it's own recurring themes. No one color/shade is inherently better than the other.

Then we look at the card rarity hierarchy and find an established ordering of white, green, blue, and red in terms of card "worth". I realize these colors are not mechanistically related to diamond, wild, sapphire, and ruby respectively, but for a game where the different color flavors are such a key component, using these same colors for an ordering system seems like a misstep.

As such, I would strongly suggest adopting a new ranking system, which may yet be adopted by beta or release with relative ease. There are plenty of possibilities, established as well as new.

Examples:

1. circle, diamond, star, nova
2. grey, bronze, silver, gold, platinum
3. seed, bush, tree, forrest
4. moon, sun, comet, black hole
5. progressively more impressive shard shapes (gem chip to perfect cut stone)

Just a thought.

Do you agree?

Other suggestions?

Talreth
05-25-2013, 01:59 PM
So I posted the following message on the end of a not-so-related thread, but I suspect most people missed it because the original post had to do with what the different rarity colors indicated. I figured this might bear starting an independent discussion and getting feedback from the community.

As always, much respect for the Hex team and this critique is only meant constructively.

Do you agree?

Other suggestions?

Well, traditionally white/green/blue/red (or purple) has been used for designating gear rarity levels, so it translates better into the mmo portion. Also I think that the colors of the cards/rarities are separate enough it won't really confuse people. But I mean if I was going to suggest a change I would say why not just do C U R L

tgm0112
05-25-2013, 03:28 PM
I don't think a significant amount of people would get confused. That's not really my concern, though a change may end up helping a few stray sheep.

It's more about the mixed tacit associations we'll make as players. No matter what ends up being the indicator for legendary cards, we're all going to be excited as hell to see it pop up when we open a booster pack. This excitement might be better linked to a unique symbol of special significance to Entrath or the current block.

If nothing else, Hex could distinguish itself with a novel and theme-appropriate ranking system, apart from the fact that the current colors will already have distinct meanings in the minds of players.

Travis
05-25-2013, 04:36 PM
The colors they use mimic most MMO's and also the WOW TCG. Having shapes instead of colors seem less intuitive to me then colors. I guess they need to make sure to have something for the color blind folks as well.

Lazybum
05-25-2013, 04:43 PM
could always just put numbers for the rarity but would perfer just a colored symbol or they could just write the words themselves on them and color them as well

ForgedSol
05-25-2013, 04:43 PM
I agree they should go with the more neutral grey, bronze, silver, gold, platinum (if you can make platinum clearly different than silver.) Following the MMO approach makes sense, but so does just using a tweak on Magic's rarity indicator. That is a strange association to have.

(Side Note: I also hate how the magics are divided. I would have preferred for them to be all non-gem names, or all gem names, even understanding why they did so because of the story. Calling it Blood, Wild, Mind, Radiance/Holy/etc, and Passion/Fury/etc would have been perfectly fine. It bothers the part of me that wants symmetry.)

Talreth
05-25-2013, 04:53 PM
But the magics being divided is an integral part of the lore. It also emphasizes the natural aspect of Blood and Wild as opposed to the more artificial magic of the gems. Also I think that the rarity should be in a corner, just my personal preference.

Daer
05-25-2013, 04:56 PM
I like the grey, white, green, blue, red, orange system.

ForgedSol
05-25-2013, 05:01 PM
But the magics being divided is an integral part of the lore. It also emphasizes the natural aspect of Blood and Wild as opposed to the more artificial magic of the gems. Also I think that the rarity should be in a corner, just my personal preference.

And in the lore they could just say, "We need these hex sapphires for mind/reality magic." It really does irk my sense of symmetry, since the colors are going to be equal in theory when it comes to card balance. How much cooler does it sound to say I'm creating a Mind/Fury deck rather than a Sapphire/Ruby deck. Blood and Wild have so much flavor that in those terms that the other three are missing.

Yasi
05-25-2013, 05:38 PM
This is a card game people.

tgm0112
05-25-2013, 05:46 PM
The colors they use mimic most MMO's and also the WOW TCG. Having shapes instead of colors seem less intuitive to me then colors. I guess they need to make sure to have something for the color blind folks as well.

I recognize the "If it ain't broke--" view of things. It's perfectly valid.

Yet, even if one was committed to a color scheme, there's no good reason to use ones already reserved for the five disciplines. I would just reiterate the potential of bronze/silver/gold/platinum as of an even more intuitive (and still color-based) ranking system.

And in the lore they could just say, "We need these hex sapphires for mind/reality magic." It really does irk my sense of symmetry, since the colors are going to be equal in theory when it comes to card balance. How much cooler does it sound to say I'm creating a Mind/Fury deck rather than a Sapphire/Ruby deck. Blood and Wild have so much flavor that in those terms that the other three are missing.

I actually know exactly what you're talking about. The break in symmetry definitely feels like an itch under my skin I can't scratch- especially since the current lore could remain completely intact with minimal exposition.

I think it wouldn't be as bad for me if the gems happened to be linked to the primary colors (red, green, blue) and non-gem names to the shades (white and black). The double break in grouping is just... meh.

Talreth
05-25-2013, 05:51 PM

Okay but people will come up with their own names for deck archetypes etc I assume as they do in magic so even magic just has basic colors. Does it sound cool to say you're making a red deck? Maybe not but if you say yeah I crafted a sick Red Deck Wins or I'm going American Midrange it does sound fancier/cooler.

ForgedSol
05-25-2013, 07:38 PM
Yes, people will come up with individual deck names, and the most popular decks will stick, but for the most part decks that aren't centered around a few key cards will most likely be named similarly to Magic's Blue/Green Mid-Range, White/Red Aggro, etc. Having two of the five names be full of flavor while the other three lack it bugs me.

I can live with it as it. I wouldn't stop playing the game because of it. And play style of the cards will trump flavor, but as it is now, in borderline cases this will now make me want to lean towards Blood/Wild decks more and more importantly lean away from the other three colors because that extra flavor matters to me. If they all had flavor names it would only be about leaning toward which I identify more and not about moving away from any of the colors.

It is an extremely minor gripe, but it's there.

Talreth
05-25-2013, 07:54 PM
Yes, people will come up with individual deck names, and the most popular decks will stick, but for the most part decks that aren't centered around a few key cards will most likely be named similarly to Magic's Blue/Green Mid-Range, White/Red Aggro, etc. Having two of the five names be full of flavor while the other three lack it bugs me.

I can live with it as it. I wouldn't stop playing the game because of it. And play style of the cards will trump flavor, but as it is now, in borderline cases this will now make me want to lean towards Blood/Wild decks more and more importantly lean away from the other three colors because that extra flavor matters to me. If they all had flavor names it would only be about leaning toward which I identify more and not about moving away from any of the colors.

It is an extremely minor gripe, but it's there.

The only problem I see with it (that now you will see if you haven't) is people will say "I'm playing Ruby" and you think "Pokemon?"

WSzaboPeter
05-26-2013, 07:41 AM
I think a Rarity icon looks like this:

On a more serious note: I think color coding is great. Maybe when you open the packs (not when in play) Legendary cards could get some flashy effect.

tgm0112
05-26-2013, 10:17 AM
Like I said, it's not the color coding I have an issue with at all, but the choice of colors. A choice to rank cards with colors that already have meaningful association to the game. Moreover, they also chose to exclude Blood's color scheme from the ranking system.

I just feel it would be better if these were avoided.