PDA

View Full Version : How to not suck at Drafting - Part 2

wallofomens
05-25-2013, 03:01 PM
Hey guys. Recently I made a video about what drafting is and some of its basics. People seemed to enjoy it and find it useful so here is a follow up.

http://youtu.be/o2S0kZq5jb4

This one focuses on the B.R.E.A.D. acronym, used to describe different "categories" of cards during a draft. Let me know what you think! :)

Here's a link to part one, if you've missed it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjZmfPzXUxk

Tourguide
05-25-2013, 04:05 PM
i wish more people were talking about this kind of stuff instead of what ks tier needs a buff or nerf etc, thanks m8

Gorgol
05-25-2013, 04:06 PM
I found this video very informative and wonderful. Keep it up!

wallofomens
05-25-2013, 04:14 PM
i wish more people were talking about this kind of stuff instead of what ks tier needs a buff or nerf etc, thanks m8

I feel the same way. :)

I found this video very informative and wonderful. Keep it up!

Thank you. :)

Showsni
05-25-2013, 05:58 PM
Hm, I learnt it as BREAK - Bombs, Removal, Evasion, A... Abilities? Advantage? And then the K is just any other junk.

Anyway, the Bombs, Removal, Evasion part generally seem the most well know bit; surprised you went for Efficiency over Evasion. (Of course, I'm coming from a M:tG background; other card games would have completely different styles).

Anyway, Evasion means things like Flyers, stuff that's Unblockable, things with Shadow/Horsemanship/Trample/Fear/Intimidate and so on. In Limited formats, these go up in value - something like a 3/2 Flyer for 4 is a great limited card. (As such, I certainly wouldn't count the Time Bug as a dreg; a 1/1 flyer for 2 than can fit into any shard is certainly playable in Limited).

Yasi
05-25-2013, 05:59 PM
Your voice is raspy. Drink some orange juice before you record.

wallofomens
05-25-2013, 06:16 PM
Hm, I learnt it as BREAK - Bombs, Removal, Evasion, A... Abilities? Advantage? And then the K is just any other junk.

Anyway, the Bombs, Removal, Evasion part generally seem the most well know bit; surprised you went for Efficiency over Evasion. (Of course, I'm coming from a M:tG background; other card games would have completely different styles).

Anyway, Evasion means things like Flyers, stuff that's Unblockable, things with Shadow/Horsemanship/Trample/Fear/Intimidate and so on. In Limited formats, these go up in value - something like a 3/2 Flyer for 4 is a great limited card. (As such, I certainly wouldn't count the Time Bug as a dreg; a 1/1 flyer for 2 than can fit into any shard is certainly playable in Limited).

Yes, I've seen it as Evasion as well. We can argue which one is more important, and I'm sure that in different scenarios one is more important than the other. All the people I've taught about drafting, I've first taught about effeciency, and then evasion as a secondary thing.

And no, I don't think that Time Bugs will be playable in draft. I probably would play as a 23rd card, but my draft must have gone terribly bad for me to not have 23 playables. :) But you do seem to like evasion a lot, so maybe you rate it higher.

wallofomens
05-25-2013, 06:18 PM
Your voice is raspy. Drink some orange juice before you record.

Sorry, Yasi. I'm afraid this is my normal voice. :) Am I to assume that green comic sans is your trolling font? Cause I've seen you post with normal font as well.

Digital_Aether
05-25-2013, 06:58 PM
So I noticed time bug was on as a dreg. That's only because of draft being hard to support multi-timebugs for its ability, right? I know 2 for a 1/1 flying isn't great, but I was surprised it was on a list.

Idus
05-25-2013, 07:02 PM
Hi,

I'm just looking at Hex and trying to get a feel for whether I will enjoy playing, and your videos are a good resource for what is needed for the elements of the game, so keep up the good work.

I would like to make a couple of serious suggestions on improving the video quality though, as I did have a hard time understanding some parts. That's partly my issue, as my hearing is not what it used to be. The issues I see are 1) Your accent 2) the Audio Quality 3) the speed. Now I realise you can't do anything about (1), but I'd like to suggest that possibly a better mic may help with (2) as the sound is muffled/echoey and possibly (3) slowing down a little would help too.

Please take these as constructive suggestions, not criticisms, as I think you're doing a good thing and would like to see more.

OysterPrime
05-25-2013, 07:18 PM
These videos are great, and I thank you for making them. I've played TCGs quite a bit but I've never really done drafts. I plan to change that with HEX, so these will be a big help.

Skyrek
05-25-2013, 07:22 PM
I enjoy your videos. Keep up the good work!

Showsni
05-25-2013, 07:22 PM
Yes, I've seen it as Evasion as well. We can argue which one is more important, and I'm sure that in different scenarios one is more important than the other. All the people I've taught about drafting, I've first taught about effeciency, and then evasion as a secondary thing.

And no, I don't think that Time Bugs will be playable in draft. I probably would play as a 23rd card, but my draft must have gone terribly bad for me to not have 23 playables. :) But you do seem to like evasion a lot, so maybe you rate it higher.

Yes, that tends to be my draft style (though, I mix it up a bit); a lot of cheap, evasive creatures and some mass pump spells, with removal to take care of anything they have to block me (of course, it depends what's available in the set). Stuff like Fortify (http://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=116732) from Time Spiral go great with a lot of cheap flyers.

wallofomens
05-25-2013, 07:45 PM
Hi,

I'm just looking at Hex and trying to get a feel for whether I will enjoy playing, and your videos are a good resource for what is needed for the elements of the game, so keep up the good work.

I would like to make a couple of serious suggestions on improving the video quality though, as I did have a hard time understanding some parts. That's partly my issue, as my hearing is not what it used to be. The issues I see are 1) Your accent 2) the Audio Quality 3) the speed. Now I realise you can't do anything about (1), but I'd like to suggest that possibly a better mic may help with (2) as the sound is muffled/echoey and possibly (3) slowing down a little would help too.

Please take these as constructive suggestions, not criticisms, as I think you're doing a good thing and would like to see more.

Thank you for your comment. :) I don't think there's much I can do about my accent - I try to speak as clearly as I can. Not much I can do about the mic either, since I am but a student in a foreign land, and don't exactly have any excess income. I will try and slow down a bit though. :)

wallofomens
05-25-2013, 07:50 PM
Yes, that tends to be my draft style (though, I mix it up a bit); a lot of cheap, evasive creatures and some mass pump spells, with removal to take care of anything they have to block me (of course, it depends what's available in the set). Stuff like Fortify (http://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=116732) from Time Spiral go great with a lot of cheap flyers.

Exactly, it depends on what's available in the set. Also what you open in the packs - you can't always go with that strategy. :) That's why I try to always try and "study" sets during the spoiler "season" - I think it's an important part of being a great drafter.

I enjoy your videos. Keep up the good work!

Thank you, I plan to. :)

These videos are great, and I thank you for making them. I've played TCGs quite a bit but I've never really done drafts. I plan to change that with HEX, so these will be a big help.

Thank you for your comment. I am glad you like them. :)

EDIT: Damn.. I use smiley faces a lot.

Idus
05-25-2013, 07:57 PM
Thank you for your comment. :) I don't think there's much I can do about my accent - I try to speak as clearly as I can. Not much I can do about the mic either, since I am but a student in a foreign land, and don't exactly have any excess income. I will try and slow down a bit though. :)

You can only do what you can do, so I appreciate any efforts to help a deaf old man :o

SomeoneRandom
05-25-2013, 09:48 PM
One thing to newcomers of draft, be careful drafting along the lines of "bread" religiously. The people I know who went with this line of thought definitely improved to consistent 2-2 and the once in a while 3-1 or 4-0, but they lost a lot because of strict adherence to that rule. A lot of subpar picks happened because they took removal over dude for example when they were creature light and their curve wasn't well crafted. Or took a creature with evasion even though it didn't fit the curve.

Its a good starting point, but quickly try to adapt past it :)

Edit: also something to keep in mind is certain formats favor certain archetypes which will also change how you draft. Using magic for example the Shards of Alara block (a slow multi-color block) favored slow decks that favored "good stuff" decks where you basically took the best card out of each pack plus some mana fixing. However Zendikar block (a set with many 2 drop 2/1 creatures) favored faster aggressive decks and a lot of times a decent 2/1 for 2 would be better in your deck than a big 6 or 7 cost bomb.

wallofomens
05-25-2013, 10:14 PM
One thing to newcomers of draft, be careful drafting along the lines of "bread" religiously. The people I know who went with this line of thought definitely improved to consistent 2-2 and the once in a while 3-1 or 4-0, but they lost a lot because of strict adherence to that rule. A lot of subpar picks happened because they took removal over dude for example when they were creature light and their curve wasn't well crafted. Or took a creature with evasion even though it didn't fit the curve.

Its a good starting point, but quickly try to adapt past it :)

Edit: also something to keep in mind is certain formats favor certain archetypes which will also change how you draft. Using magic for example the Shards of Alara block (a slow multi-color block) favored slow decks that favored "good stuff" decks where you basically took the best card out of each pack plus some mana fixing. However Zendikar block (a set with many 2 drop 2/1 creatures) favored faster aggressive decks and a lot of times a decent 2/1 for 2 would be better in your deck than a big 6 or 7 cost bomb.

B.R.E.A.D. is not really a rule, though. It's more of a set of categories made into an acronym in order to make it easier for newer players to remember them and recognize them while drafting.
Ofcourse there is more to drafting than that but that is a good start. The whole "this set is fast, early drops are good, big creatures are bad" but this is part of another aspect of being a good drafter - "studying" and practicing the set.

The point is - I need to get some sleep. It already took me 5 minutes to write three lines of text that probably don't make any sense. Thank you for your comment. :)

SomeoneRandom
05-26-2013, 12:33 AM
B.R.E.A.D. is not really a rule, though. It's more of a set of categories made into an acronym in order to make it easier for newer players to remember them and recognize them while drafting.
Ofcourse there is more to drafting than that but that is a good start. The whole "this set is fast, early drops are good, big creatures are bad" but this is part of another aspect of being a good drafter - "studying" and practicing the set.

The point is - I need to get some sleep. It already took me 5 minutes to write three lines of text that probably don't make any sense. Thank you for your comment. :)

Sorry, as I said I was busy with some work before bed so I didn't have time to watch your video. (I just finished watching both)

As for your BREAD how I had always heard it as Bomb, Removal, Evasion, Advantage, Dude. My main reason in commenting was I had an experience with a few players who all learned about BREAD at the same time and they took it quite literally, and I would just caution people to use it as a guideline and continue learning rather than using it as a hard written rule :) Again, thanks for your contributions in the form of your video, I am always the type of person who helps new players at my local store and I know the boost it gives to our community so thanks :)