PDA

View Full Version : The Poor mans PvP

TheWrathofShane
05-25-2013, 03:20 PM
First off, there is NOTHING wrong with being poor. Just because someone doesnt have more then 50 dollars to shell out on a card game, does not mean they do not love the card game and enjoy playing it.

Since this game is F2P, I would love a casual PvP mode with preconstructed decks. That way the matches will be 100% balanced and pretested for an enjoyable, addicting experience. Any deck building in this mode would have to be preconstructed, limited, and balanced. For example you get 15 extra Ruby cards to work with, and can select what you want to use out of that card pool for this mode. Or just a premade 60 card deck thats unalterable, whatever way works.

I feel this mode is needed to keep the low budget or completely free players around, what do you guys think?

wallofomens
05-25-2013, 03:22 PM
They've already said that there will be an "anything goes" casual PvP mode, where you can even use PvE cards as well as equipment. So that counts as free PvP, I guess. :)

IndigoShade
05-25-2013, 03:23 PM
I can't say with any certainty, but if the Dragon Blood starting deck being included with the stretch goals is any indication, they probably will have some pre-made decks for sale.

Lazybum
05-25-2013, 03:24 PM
sure you could do some pve do get cards to trade/sell for pvp construction, but not sure what you are asking for will be too popular.

sure there will be a ton of different formats for pvp so nothing is impossible tho.

TheWrathofShane
05-25-2013, 03:25 PM
They've already said that there will be an "anything goes" casual PvP mode, where you can even use PvE cards as well as equipment. So that counts as free PvP, I guess. :)

Equipment seems like a good way to give the casual players some free epic stuff for casual pvp. But the danger is becoming Pay 2 Win when guys who dropped over 1,000 start playing this mode to use their epic PvE equipment, and the same F2P, P2W system emerges.

Unrelated side note: Skill is not a factor you should take into consideration, because the 1,000 dollar guy (Nothing wrong with that), is probably a high skill player as well.

IndigoShade
05-25-2013, 03:27 PM
Plus there's the format that allows for PvE cards to be used in PvP games, which will likely be popular in non-tournament matches for players without a ton of PvP cards to play against one another. Whether that becomes a popular tournament format, utilizing all of the cards from both halves of the game, will be interesting to see.

TheWrathofShane
05-25-2013, 03:28 PM
sure you could do some pve do get cards to trade/sell for pvp construction, but not sure what you are asking for will be too popular.

sure there will be a ton of different formats for pvp so nothing is impossible tho.

Magic had this system for ahwile with the old MTGO tutorial, could select preconstructed decks and play others in tutorial. I played it often and it was amazingly fun.

Now they have the DPA Gold Border cards for this, so my idea is not something new.

Lazybum
05-25-2013, 03:33 PM
really isnt too bad of an idea and since im not super into pvp sounds more like a format i would have fun in, have a bad habbit of spending alot more then i should on card games so a format like this would be cheaper and prob just as fun

Pentregarth
05-25-2013, 03:33 PM
Isn't that kind of what duel of the planeswalkers does? give you preoconstructed decks and the ability to change some, but not all of the cards in that deck...

Ditsch
05-25-2013, 03:34 PM
Well even if the idea sounds good at first but i don't like it. Mtg duels of the planeswalkers was like preconstructed you had a deck and could unlock up to 40 cards to swap or include them to your deck. And boy it was not balanced and really suscked.

I would make it different to have a more equal footing and still deck building skill is involved make a format where only commons are allowed so getting the cards for deck building the would be no issue.

TheWrathofShane
05-25-2013, 03:35 PM
Isn't that kind of what duel of the planeswalkers does? give you preoconstructed decks and the ability to change some, but not all of the cards in that deck...

Yeah something like that. Magic has done this type of thing many times before, giving budget players a fun and addicting environment to play in.

Tathel
05-25-2013, 03:36 PM
As long as they have a sort of 'casual deck' lobby, or such hopefully people will be respectful enough not to bring their power decks in. I for one enjoy playing casual decks so I'm hoping there will be a way to save deck lists from drafts (if they are doing a replay system this seems plausible) Then i can just throw a few cards in after to form a casual constructed deck ^_^.

It's a very different flavor then optimized decks.

TheWrathofShane
05-25-2013, 03:38 PM
As long as they have a sort of 'casual deck' lobby, or such hopefully people will be respectful enough not to bring their power decks in. I for one enjoy playing casual decks so I'm hoping there will be a way to save deck lists from drafts (if they are doing a replay system this seems plausible) Then i can just throw a few cards in after to form a casual constructed deck ^_^.

It's a very different flavor then optimized decks.

Without limitations, people would just go into that lobby all the time and bully people with 500+ dollar decks. I see it happen on MTGO new player room.

TheWrathofShane
05-25-2013, 03:40 PM
Well even if the idea sounds good at first but i don't like it. Mtg duels of the planeswalkers was like preconstructed you had a deck and could unlock up to 40 cards to swap or include them to your deck. And boy it was not balanced and really suscked.

I would make it different to have a more equal footing and still deck building skill is involved make a format where only commons are allowed so getting the cards for deck building the would be no issue.

Thats just like the Pauper format for MTG. Commons only.
I dont see why this couldn't work, or both can't exist. Both certainly do exist for magic.

Lazybum
05-25-2013, 03:41 PM

this also sounds like alot of fun, decks where you arent allow to use rares or higher quality or other variants of these rules

Ditsch
05-25-2013, 03:45 PM
Well actually i was thinking of making it more advanced then only commons i was thinking of allowing up to 4 different rare card (highlander style only each card once) and 8-12 uncommon cards maybe (max 2 to 3 cards of the same name). But yeah that might be to complicated to work out, but i would be nice you still could have those awesome rares you like but only once. :)

IndigoShade
05-25-2013, 03:47 PM
Well actually i was thinking of making it more advanced then only commons i was thinking of allowing up to 4 different rare card (highlander style only each card once) and 8-12 uncommon cards maybe (max 2 to 3 cards of the same name). But yeah that might be to complicated to work out, but i would be nice you still could have those awesome rares you like but only once. :)

Well they did mention the idea of leagues or something where you can create different formats. So you could set up your own rules and run games just like what you just mentioned, I believe.

Lazybum
05-25-2013, 03:48 PM
im sure somewhere along the line people will be able to setup their own tournaments with their own rules just checking the decks and such to see if they meet those rules may be hard

TheWrathofShane
05-25-2013, 03:53 PM
Just as long as the free 2 play guy doesn't get left in the dust for PvP, without any kind of environment to call home, and the only solution is "Get a Job".

Talreth
05-25-2013, 03:54 PM
Just as long as the free 2 play guy doesn't get left in the dust for PvP, without any kind of environment to call home, and the only solution is "Get a Job".

Well what kind of PvP do you want to do? I think it's pretty clear at this point (especially with the influx of set 1 cards from KS) that casual level PvP will be easy to enter. Now if you want to play in official tournaments or for prizes, those might be fairly limited/rare/hard to get into without paying.

Ditsch
05-25-2013, 03:55 PM
Well they could make Aida have to check your deck if it meets the mentioned rules and then you can enter the format and play that could actually be possible then. :)

TheWrathofShane
05-25-2013, 03:58 PM
Well what kind of PvP do you want to do? I think it's pretty clear at this point (especially with the influx of set 1 cards from KS) that casual level PvP will be easy to enter. Now if you want to play in official tournaments or for prizes, those might be fairly limited/rare/hard to get into without paying.

Tourneys with prizes will obviously cost money to enter and need a big budget to compete.

MTree
05-25-2013, 04:02 PM
MTG has a pauper format where you can only play with commons, could be interesting to have something similar in Hex. Also I really like the Avatar format which was a fun casual way to play the game as well as learn the cards. The avatar format is that you have a deck of nothing but land and "avatar" card that has ability like "pay X and sacrifice target land, add a random card of sacrificed land's color that has converted mana cost of X into play under your control".

TheWrathofShane
05-25-2013, 04:07 PM
MTG has a pauper format where you can only play with commons, could be interesting to have something similar in Hex. Also I really like the Avatar format which was a fun casual way to play the game as well as learn the cards. The avatar format is that you have a deck of nothing but land and "avatar" card that has ability like "pay X and sacrifice target land, add a random card of sacrificed land's color that has converted mana cost of X into play under your control".

Thats Momir basic, yeah MTG has plenty of ways for low budget players to have a fun and addicting environment to pvp in.

MugenMusou
05-25-2013, 05:46 PM
If I'm not mistaken, you can have a PvE only casual game which means all you have to do is spend lots of time to acquire PvE card on your own, and then play PvE only mode with other player.

Yasi
05-25-2013, 05:56 PM
Shin'Hare deck will be for the poor.

funktion
05-25-2013, 05:57 PM
Also you can expect there to be some sort of pauper format. Having an all common format means you can build a deck that's actually pretty strong for about 4-5 dollars.

Idus
05-25-2013, 06:56 PM
I would certainly like to see a pauper format, especially as I'd like my teenagers to play as well. They don't have much disposable income, and I don't want to be hit up every other day for more card money :)

Lochar
05-25-2013, 07:02 PM
I would certainly like to see a pauper format, especially as I'd like my teenagers to play as well. They don't have much disposable income, and I don't want to be hit up every other day for more card money :)

Only every other day? You must have frugal teens.

Kroan
05-26-2013, 12:16 AM
If I think of "poor mans PvP" I always think of pauper (only commons) or peasent (commons / uncommons) type of games. I'd love to see either of those in Hex :)

BlindMan
05-26-2013, 12:21 AM
I would love a pauper format in hex. With an auction house and 2 dollar packs, it could be even more accessible than mtgo pauper.

Kalius
05-26-2013, 01:54 AM
The thing people need to remember is even in MtG, "expensive" or "cheap" does not mean "good" or "bad". I've seen decks that cost upwards of $200 get beat by someone who threw together a $15 deck. In fact, that happened yesterday.

I'm quite sure this will be no different, and I'm willing to bet getting cards will be easier than in MtG as well. I don't expect to see very many high prices staples that you have to have just to play, especially with the way resources in Hex work.

Chance
05-26-2013, 02:07 AM
I suggested common drafting where you 'pay' 45 commons and enter a draft with special common only boosters. The trick was you didnt get to keep any of the commons but there was still prizes to win. This actually isn't relevant at all i just liked my idea....

Thanisse
05-26-2013, 02:09 AM
I would prefer to have special starter tournaments where you use a starter , not modified , aside adding land cards .
I loved these kinds of starter tournaments in wow , even if some of the starters were a bit more powerful than the others .

fun , eh :) ?

Fireblast
05-26-2013, 03:58 AM
About PvP fun for cheap, yesterday I bought a MtG Preconstructed Sorin vs Tibald for $25 and had fun with a friend playing those decks.

I can bet HEX Starter vs Starter will be fun too

~