PDA

View Full Version : The combo I can't get out of my head ...

Jarric
05-27-2013, 12:00 AM
This may be SUPER early to be posting this (and it could get changed) but it is what has me super psyched about playing this game. The equipment that opens the combo doors on cards. As much as I would love to see a league with equipment being usable I think combos like this one would soon break such a league. Basically this idea can win a game turn two (theoretically). I started thinking on this from everyone wanting to use Pack Raptors and Replicators Gambit. I soon discovered you don't need the Gambit.

http://hex.potion-of-wit.com/card.php?c=34

Using Replacement grips you get a great library diver. Not to mention all artifacts are now -1 cost. Now this is where it will take a little time ...

Burgamot EbonRock Level 20 - All troops are are now Artifact Troops.

Now for the card everyone drools over ...

http://hex.potion-of-wit.com/card.php?c=43

Playing with Both gear options for the Raptor and the above cards you now get a Zero Cost Swiftstriking Raptor that allows you to draw 2 cards when they come into play while putting 6 more copies of itself into your deck. Pending what other 1 cost troops you can get to add to this deck (that would then cost you 0) to allow you to run through you deck, you can theoretically win on turn two.

If you liked this concept and wanna discuss combos feel free to join Insomniacs lol.

~jarric

Lazybum
05-27-2013, 12:19 AM
links are broken, please fix

Jarric
05-27-2013, 12:25 AM
I got the ones from the Potion of Wit database. ... ok fixed them I hope ... was trying to get the link that would display the picture so you wouldn't have to go to another site.

Derium
05-27-2013, 12:26 AM
HA! I LOVE it

Rapkannibale
05-27-2013, 12:30 AM
Personally I think in PvE with equipment you will be able to do a lot of crazy/broken combos, as you should be. :)

I am more of a PvP player but I am really looking forward to the PvE aspect of the game as well.

Chance
05-27-2013, 12:45 AM
it would be a turn 3 win unless you pulled and popped a lotus for threshold. regardless it still is a very powerful combo and ebonrock will be breaking shit for years to come

Jarric
05-27-2013, 12:56 AM
All you need is one blue and one green threshold so not sure why you need a third turn.

Chance
05-27-2013, 01:10 AM
turn one you play bl get dwarf, turn two you get green start spawning raptors who have sommoning sickness. turn three win game

Chance
05-27-2013, 01:12 AM
swiftstrike means firststrike, speed means haste maybe thats where you are confused

GhundiPI
05-27-2013, 01:22 AM
While the chance is there, it still depends on getting more Pack Raptors from your deck. An so far as I know it is an unknown on which will happen first, drawing the extra cards or shuffling the extra Pack Raptors in your deck. Mechanics wise I would bet on drawing cards first, for the reason of combos like this one, which makes the chance of drawing another one on turn 2 rather slim even with a second Pack Raptor in hand. Still, the combo is there and looks fun.

Then there is of course the question on what the win conditions will be in PvE. I doubt that every encounter is won by defeating an opposing champion. Even physical card games like the Lord of the Rings LCG have shown great and inventive win conditions, imagine what a digital one could come up with.

Jarric
05-27-2013, 01:23 AM
Ahh yes I was confusing Swiftstrike being a haste skill ... well who knows perhaps we see a 1 cost inspire speed character :-P

Jarric
05-27-2013, 01:27 AM
Well you can always add Replicators Gambit for more possibilities if you like :-P. Then there is Peek for deck stacking+draw card.

Lefto
05-27-2013, 01:54 AM
UG power ftw :p

TheWackyWombat
05-27-2013, 05:42 AM
The combo I REALLY want to try and get working is a fully geared Spectral Assassin with Replicator's Gambit. You could do some really janky stuff when your Assassin is A) Destroying every copy of a card in the opponent's deck, B) Putting six copies on the field, for free, and C) Each copy returns to your hand to stalk again, able to replicate.

Hard to get online, but I think it would be hilarious if it ever went off. After one or two assassins you'd pretty much lock your opponent completely out of his creatures.

I just wish that both cards didn't use Weapon gear, it would be even worse if ALL assassins gained the ability.

volkmar77
05-27-2013, 08:55 AM
While the chance is there, it still depends on getting more Pack Raptors from your deck. An so far as I know it is an unknown on which will happen first, drawing the extra cards or shuffling the extra Pack Raptors in your deck. Mechanics wise I would bet on drawing cards first, for the reason of combos like this one, which makes the chance of drawing another one on turn 2 rather slim even with a second Pack Raptor in hand. Still, the combo is there and looks fun.

It actually does not matter which one goes first, because your deck is filled of blue and green troops that cost 1 to play.
So, play raptor, get cards, reveal troop, it is now artifact and cost 0, play troop, draw card, discard. Rinse and repeat until you get a raptor.
Yeah, ok, if you do not draw a raptor eventually you run out of cards, but considering after the first raptor you got 7 cards in hands (assuming you went first, 8 if you went second) and, assuming you do not have any other raptors in hand, there are now 9 raptors in your deck of 56 cards, you get to draw 6 times. Not assured by any means, but those are good odds. IF you get another raptor, you get an extra card and 6 more raptors in your deck, can get a lot of raptor quickly.

Then there is the rest of the cards, which you would design around this. You can even put some 1 blue or green threshold 2 resource costs troops there if they do something useful (like drawing more cards, let you sacrifice troops for advantage or something like that) and it looks legit. Like all combo deck, naturally, it is vulnerable to a well placed kaboom spell on the dwarf

arastor
05-27-2013, 09:07 AM
Bwahahaha! I beat you to this one by a week! (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=23600&p=216002&viewfull=1#post216002) (does that sound appropriately jerkish? Maybe I need to try harder.)

But seriously, great minds think alike (so what's my excuse?)

Don't forget Research Librarian (http://hextcg.wikia.com/wiki/Research_Librarian) for more fun!

Dinobots, transform and CRUSH!

NaryaDL0re
05-27-2013, 09:18 AM
Anyone else a little concerned that some of these combos enabled via equipment are still too strong?.

Remember Pve is still something that will hold some amount of value.
If there are broken decks farming everything, gold, equipment and cards will lose all value.

If this is supposed to have any kind of endgame and pve community, things need
to require actual work and luck and time. Not just "breaking the format".

So even though its "only pve", I cant imagine crypto is inclined to let certain hero/talent/card/equipment
combos just run rampage over every encounter in the game and farm everything up.

Pve should be fun, powerful, but not arbitrary!

Otherwise Pve will last 1 month and this will simply be an "Online TCG".
Which I am more or less fine with if need be, but I somewhat like the
best case scenario of this game having actual depth and longevity in the
pve department of things.

Parallax
05-27-2013, 09:23 AM
I fully expect that the content we face in PvE will be pulling similar shenanigans, so I'm not very concerned about equipment making the more difficult dungeons & raids trivial.

MrCwis
05-27-2013, 09:41 AM
To add to this combo at level 10 you get the reverse engineing artifact in play to start the game with, inscribe this with a spectral lotus.

So in your opening hand you need 2 resource cards, one of which needs to be a sapphire and the dwarf. A pack raptor would be good to have as well but not 100% necessary.

T1 sapphire into the dwarft

T2 resource, then inscribe the spectral lotus onto reverse engineering, since it's a 0 cost artifact you can transform it right away and exhaust it to gain 3 resources and the wild threshold if you don't already have it. With the right equipment you can discard cards from your hand to dig for a pack raptor or another spectral lotus, to either draw a card or activate to pitch your hand and dig some more.

If there is a 3 cost card that can give your troops speed, win the game on T2, if not T3

Jarric
05-27-2013, 11:17 PM
The combo I REALLY want to try and get working is a fully geared Spectral Assassin with Replicator's Gambit. You could do some really janky stuff when your Assassin is A) Destroying every copy of a card in the opponent's deck, B) Putting six copies on the field, for free, and C) Each copy returns to your hand to stalk again, able to replicate.

Hard to get online, but I think it would be hilarious if it ever went off. After one or two assassins you'd pretty much lock your opponent completely out of his creatures.

I just wish that both cards didn't use Weapon gear, it would be even worse if ALL assassins gained the ability.

While I like the thought of this I am not sure it will be very effective as the copies would have to die to get back to your hand to re-aquire a new target. Also the initial copies that get shuffled back into your deck would not have a target as target is determined at the start of the game. So unless by being created it is like the start of the game for them the new copies would have to come back into your hand get into play then die then have the item effect return them to your hand with a new target.

Tyrfang
05-27-2013, 11:44 PM
http://hex.potion-of-wit.com/img/cards/Thunderbird_Gear_Web.jpg

Thunderbird works well for this combo if you use the Chestguard. Drawing it allows you to put a lightning elemental (artifact troop?) into play, allowing you to draw and discard a card. =)

Jarric
05-27-2013, 11:49 PM
Good Addition ... who knows the lightning ele might be awesome too lol.

Tyrfang
05-27-2013, 11:53 PM
Also, depending on what a slaughtergear is and whether or not you can exhaust a troop the same turn you play it...

http://hex.potion-of-wit.com/img/cards/WorkerBotFactory_Equipment_web.jpg

TheWackyWombat
05-28-2013, 06:06 AM
While I like the thought of this I am not sure it will be very effective as the copies would have to die to get back to your hand to re-aquire a new target. Also the initial copies that get shuffled back into your deck would not have a target as target is determined at the start of the game. So unless by being created it is like the start of the game for them the new copies would have to come back into your hand get into play then die then have the item effect return them to your hand with a new target.

Yeah, the initial copy being shuffled back into the deck is the primary downside, I'm kind of hoping the rogue's passive is two weapon equipment, which allows you to apply the ability to all copies by equipping both mirrorblade AND cutter.

As for having to play the assassin in order to get the ability again, I don't really consider that a major downside. Granted, you're not playing him for free, but for 5 resources you'll get SEVEN guys on the table to chump with, and each one returns right to your hand with stalking and replication. At that point your opponent can't even wrath profitably, with seven stalkers returning to your hand there's a good chance you'll just have an answer to whatever he puts down.

At worst, you're stuck with seven guys on the field and, assuming he chumps, paying 5 for seven more a turn.

I admit, it's FAR from an optimal combo, but I'd still like to see it in action. It's the sort of ridiculously complex combo that I like trying to pull.

Mushroom_C1oud
05-28-2013, 08:07 AM
I've been looking over some of the PvE cards and the equipment (http://hex.potion-of-wit.com/gear.php) and I'm starting to see why Cory said you'll be hunting for gear. There's some really cool gear and the cards you get from set bonuses like Overcharge are giving me some incredible ideas for combos. It may be against an AI opponent but I don't think that will make it any less fun. In actuality, they can make the AI opponents tougher than a human because they can give them OP cards.
With what has been revealed so far I've been eying these cards and gear:
Void Marauder
Burn
Burn to the Ground
Overcharge (set bonus card)
Ragefire
Sabotage
Head: Cowl of Emptiness (legendary)
Gloves: Conflagration Handguards (rare)
Boots: Dragon Tongue Slippers (legendary)

Verdant
05-28-2013, 08:27 AM
I've been looking over some of the PvE cards and the equipment (http://hex.potion-of-wit.com/gear.php) and I'm starting to see why Cory said you'll be hunting for gear. There's some really cool gear and the cards you get from set bonuses like Overcharge are giving me some incredible ideas for combos. It may be against an AI opponent but I don't think that will make it any less fun. In actuality, they can make the AI opponents tougher than a human because they can give them OP cards.
With what has been revealed so far I've been eying these cards and gear:
Void Marauder
Burn
Burn to the Ground
Overcharge (set bonus card)
Ragefire
Sabotage
Head: Cowl of Emptiness (legendary)
Gloves: Conflagration Handguards (rare)
Boots: Dragon Tongue Slippers (legendary)
Been looking at them myself. I may suggest to also check out Glorfenblort (mercenary) and Spellblood Chalice (Vampire King legendary item). Mercenary is just fun to theorycraft around (10 damage Burns? Yes, please), Vampire King gives you an awesome possibility to sweep enemy lines unless they're really fat.

Conflagration Handguards are gonna be a blast to play with.

Lord_Snow
05-28-2013, 08:55 AM
I have been thinking a deck like that a while ago and the best side of it is that you will never get a deck over, because the more Raptor cards you get, more you will have in your deck.

volkmar77
05-28-2013, 12:31 PM
Anyone else a little concerned that some of these combos enabled via equipment are still too strong?.

Remember Pve is still something that will hold some amount of value.
If there are broken decks farming everything, gold, equipment and cards will lose all value.

If this is supposed to have any kind of endgame and pve community, things need
to require actual work and luck and time. Not just "breaking the format".

So even though its "only pve", I cant imagine crypto is inclined to let certain hero/talent/card/equipment
combos just run rampage over every encounter in the game and farm everything up.

Pve should be fun, powerful, but not arbitrary!

Otherwise Pve will last 1 month and this will simply be an "Online TCG".
Which I am more or less fine with if need be, but I somewhat like the
best case scenario of this game having actual depth and longevity in the
pve department of things.

Keep in mind the following:

1) They prolly saw it coming
2) we already know PvE will include curve balls, puzzles, tricks etc. Same deck cannot win all encounters and you need to make custom decks for some.
3) there are nasty things in dungeons that permanently kill cards from your deck (for the dungeon duration), making combo decks like this one risky (ups! there went your dwarf.. permanently... now you have only 3 of them, good luck starting next fight with optimal hand)
4) you need 2 legendary pieces of equipment plus 2 others plus 8 copies of those cards, it is not exactly trivial to make this deck.

MugenMusou
05-28-2013, 01:24 PM
These are stuff make HEX special in my opinion. Yes. in normal competitive world broken combo, but also how cool was it to come up with this kind of idea and actually being able to execute? Separating PvP environment is indeed I think right approach.

Gen91
05-28-2013, 01:31 PM
I'm kind of hoping the rogue's passive is two weapon equipment, which allows you to apply the ability to all copies by equipping both mirrorblade AND cutter.

I thought about 2 weapons on one of the champions myself,
but then came to the conclusion, that the champions work in PvP and that equipment is PvE only,
so that this szenario is highly unlikely to be an ability of one of the champs.

Unless the champions have additional PvE abilities,
or maybe there's a dual wield mercenary.

Shivdaddy
05-28-2013, 02:15 PM
Do people think PVE will really last longer than 1-2 weeks? Assuming they dont make you "grind" for many many hours repetitively, I cant imagine it. I think pve will turn into "gotta catch em all."

Madican
05-28-2013, 02:24 PM
Considering there's going to be about thirty dungeons, not including quests and racial cities, plus several raids, I think it's going to last much longer than 1-2 weeks. Especially when you keep in mind a dungeon is going to take several hours, that's why there's a checkpoint system there so you can leave and come back to it instead of being glued to the computer for the entire time with no choice.