PDA

View Full Version : No Auras in Hex?

SingerOfW
05-27-2013, 07:20 AM
After watching the latest stream, I realized one of the core differences between Magic and Hex I didn't notice before: the complete lack of Aura spells. For those who don't know much about Magic, it's a special kind of card that comes into play attached to another card (most often a creature) and affects it in some way. It's usually considered a bit underpowered, since it sets up the caster for card disadvantage when cast on their own creature and can be shaken off when cast on the enemy creature, making it weaker than straight-out removal. In Hex, however, there's no need for Auras: you just change the card's text, and that's it. Even if they kill the creature, it stays affected by the card, so you can bring it back, still buffed up (or disabled).

Which brings me to the point of removal Auras, especially in Diamond/White. In Magic, white may be famous for cheap, hard removal, like Swords to Plowshares or Path to Exile (that give you life and recourses after killing your creature, respectfully), but its design philosophy is a bit different. White is supposed to be good at answering everything, but its answers can be answered by stuff like enchantment destruction.

Now, let's compare Inner Conflict with its grandfather from Magic, Pacifism. Inner Conflict changes the creature it affects forever, meaning that you can't ever attack or block with it unless you have a way to revert the change (and we have no cards that do so far). Pacifism, however, is very easy to remove: you can bounce or "blink" (remove from the game and bring back) the creature it's on to make it fall off, or straight-out destroy it with stuff like Naturalize. I suppose it's very easy to see that Inner Conflict is a much stronger piece of removal, even though it costs the same. About as strong as Murder, I'd say.

Now, I don't say that it's necessarily bad, since Hex is a whole different game with its own set of values. Maybe Diamond is supposed to be better at removal than white, or the creatures are strong enough to warrant such efficient removal. I just wanted to bring it up so people don't forget about it while discussing the viability of such and such card: the ideas that we are used to may not work that well in Hex.

Yasi
05-27-2013, 07:26 AM
Wait for more cards to be revealed.

FranzVonG
05-27-2013, 07:31 AM
I'm pretty sure that there's and "Enchant Creature" kind of card... (is Aura the new name for it in MTG?)

purple-one
05-27-2013, 07:31 AM
Many cards have permanent effect what the aura in magic could be. Only different is that be magic is remove for.

Pacifism:

http://hex.potion-of-wit.com/img/cards/9yf0liZ.jpg (http://hex.potion-of-wit.com/cards.php?c=119)

SingerOfW
05-27-2013, 07:41 AM
Wait for more cards to be revealed.
If you mean that they might reveal the Aura cards later, I'm not sure what such cards will do that permanent changes cannot. If you mean that they might reveal lots and lots of ways to reset the card text, that won't make the changes as easy to "kill" as the Magic Auras, since we still won't be able to bounce them off.

I'm pretty sure that there's and "Enchant Creature" kind of card... (is Aura the new name for it in MTG?)
That name's been around for about 7 years, yeah. And no, there are no similar cards in Hex so far, other than the Inner Conflict-like actions that make permanent changes to card text.

Xenavire
05-27-2013, 07:51 AM
I just want to point out the in MTG you could also bounce auras, or otherwise recover them, and reuse them, where hex will have to fetch them from the discard pile (something white was never amazing at.)

It makes sense for diamond to have more permanent stuff too, since no buff auras exist for diamond to destroy - they can only deal with the creature now.

Parallax
05-27-2013, 07:56 AM
I think the reasons the cards don't stick on the troops is that Hex can track the stat changes from the action so having it there as a reminder isn't always necessary.

Tathel
05-27-2013, 07:59 AM
I thought of this during the stream too, Since they have global enchantments (I think i remember seeing some?) my assumption is that if there are no local enchantments in this set they will eventually make their way into the game. Although It is possible they could leave out the traditional form and just use something like equipment.

The name of the game is Hex, do we know what a Hex is yet?
If not maybe it's like an enchantment and they are saving them as powerful effects?

DanTheMeek
05-27-2013, 07:59 AM
First off, its funny that when I first read this I too was kind of confused as to what an aura was and when it was described I was like "huh, did they change the name for enchant creature, why would they do that?" but I have been out of magic for many years now. I also remember when Inner Conflict was revealed I was like "oh hey, its pacifism".

But I really agree that writing off a card like inner conflict as just the hex equivalent of pacifism is something long time magic players need to fight against as the fact that creature enchantment spells last beyond the grave, bounce, etc really does make them stronger then their magic counter parts. How much stronger, well that's something I think that will depend largely on the meta, but regardless its still something to consider before writing off creature enchantment spells.

Evilgm
05-27-2013, 08:07 AM
Disenchants can be replicated by effects that "revert" cards, which is an already extant mechanic that resets a card to its printed version.

It's a change I'm in favour of. Creature enchants and attachments are generally the worst cards in any game, because they give inherent card disadvantage if anything happens to the creature. By making them permanent you have a better chance of getting the full benefit from them.

BenRGamer
05-27-2013, 08:11 AM
Disenchants can be replicated by effects that "revert" cards, which is an already extant mechanic that resets a card to its printed version.

It's a change I'm in favour of. Creature enchants and attachments are generally the worst cards in any game, because they give inherent card disadvantage if anything happens to the creature. By making them permanent you have a better chance of getting the full benefit from them.

My thoughts exactly. I don't really see the problem here?

Xenavire
05-27-2013, 08:11 AM
I just want to point out there are also no equipable artifacts, and it seems to be for similar reasons.

I am interested in if they will ever add them.

Avedecus
05-27-2013, 08:12 AM
http://hextcg.com/story/history/

Here ya go.

Talreth
05-27-2013, 08:13 AM
If not maybe it's like an enchantment and they are saving them as powerful effects?

It is called Hex because of the large meteor/asteroid crystal that went through the planet, which resulted in numerous crystal shards breaking off. Because these shards give magical capabilities they were called "Hexing Shards" or crystals or something.

Tathel
05-27-2013, 08:17 AM
It is called Hex because of the large meteor/asteroid crystal that went through the planet, which resulted in numerous crystal shards breaking off. Because these shards give magical capabilities they were called "Hexing Shards" or crystals or something.

Ah ok, so the socketing gems are most likely what you would consider the card component of a 'hex'

Hmm which make me wonder how close will socketing be to something like enchanting, will there be cards to unsocket all gems or such?

Talreth
05-27-2013, 08:20 AM
Ah ok, so the socketing gems are most likely what you would consider the card component of a 'hex'

Hmm which make me wonder how close will socketing be to something like enchanting, will there be cards to unsocket all gems or such?

Um I don't think you can remove the sockets in game or w/e, but you might be able to. However outside of the game you can fiddle with what's socketed with what however much you want.

Avedecus
05-27-2013, 08:21 AM
"Hex" is the name of the meteor/asteroid that spilled its bling everywhere.

Xenavire
05-27-2013, 08:21 AM
Gems are added in deckbuilding, and are unlimited etc. You can replace them whenever you want.

Tathel
05-27-2013, 08:26 AM
They could do cards that remove socketed gems, or change them in play, or cards that give you access to special gems that only the card could insert in a socket in game. I'm not sure if their philosophy is that they are just something to be set up before the game. If they want in game interaction though it could add another layer to game play.

MrCwis
05-27-2013, 08:26 AM
A big problem for a lot of magic player or other physical TCG players will be getting use to re-valueing things that change a card permanently since it stays with the card after it leaves the field they are likely to be more powerful then their physical "counter parts" because being 2 for 1ed doesn't seem likely to happen as often.

AstronauticFrog
05-27-2013, 08:27 AM
I don't know that its a good idea to judge Hex based on MTG design philosophy. Yes, the feel and flavor of the five types of magic in Hex are clearly inspired by MTG, but they have already diverged in the game mechanics they're using to represent that feel. For example, Rage is a Blood ability, and if it were in Magic, it would clearly be a Red ability, rather than the analogous Black.

So yes, part of the design mantra in MTG is that White has answers for everything, but there are answers to its answers; however, that doesn't have to have any bearing on what Diamond's identity is and what it can do. In fact, if Cryptozoic want to distance themselves from Magic, it would behoof them to have their 5 colors diverge from Magic's 5 colors.

SingerOfW
05-27-2013, 08:45 AM
I don't know that its a good idea to judge Hex based on MTG design philosophy. Yes, the feel and flavor of the five types of magic in Hex are clearly inspired by MTG, but they have already diverged in the game mechanics they're using to represent that feel. For example, Rage is a Blood ability, and if it were in Magic, it would clearly be a Red ability, rather than the analogous Black.

So yes, part of the design mantra in MTG is that White has answers for everything, but there are answers to its answers; however, that doesn't have to have any bearing on what Diamond's identity is and what it can do. In fact, if Cryptozoic want to distance themselves from Magic, it would behoof them to have their 5 colors diverge from Magic's 5 colors.
That's correct, and I did try to differentiate between Magic and Hex in this regard. However, there have to be differences in how different shards handle their removal, even if the exact differences are not the same as in Magic. And to tell the truth, there are not that many different ways to kill creatures.

Punk
05-27-2013, 09:13 AM
That's correct, and I did try to differentiate between Magic and Hex in this regard. However, there have to be differences in how different shards handle their removal, even if the exact differences are not the same as in Magic. And to tell the truth, there are not that many different ways to kill creatures.

I would suggest just waiting for more cards to be revealed. We haven't even seen 10% of the cards that will be in the game at launch yet.

Concerns over speculations (or unknown variables) along with specific rules questions I see pop up on the forums could be prevented/answered by the developers releasing Comprehensive Rules.

alpha5099
05-28-2013, 11:15 AM

I think it'd be more accurate to say that Rage is predominantly an Orc ability, not Blood, and so far it does seem more common on Ruby cards. There're 9 spoiled cards with Rage, two of them Blood, five Ruby, and 1 Diamond and Sapphire each (and these last two are the only non-Orc cards).

ShaolinRaven
05-28-2013, 12:47 PM
I think it'd be more accurate to say that Rage is predominantly an Orc ability, not Blood, and so far it does seem more common on Ruby cards. There're 9 spoiled cards with Rage, two of them Blood, five Ruby, and 1 Diamond and Sapphire each (and these last two are the only non-Orc cards).

There are also a few Wild cards with rage. Sure it will primarily be Ruby/Blood because it is primarily Orcs and those are the two magics the Orcs use, but we have seen it outside Orcs and outside those colors.

I think the base abilities like Rage, Speed, Steadfast, all of those will find groupings more prominently in one or two colors, but will have a few cards through most, if not all, the magic types.