PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Dungeon Evacuation abilities (EQ1 style) and Death Penalty.

Shepherd74
05-27-2013, 08:00 AM
Moderate death penalty in PVE. Dungeon evacuation abilities (for dungeons and Raids) that take time to pull off. Anyone that ever shouted at the party wizard or druid in EQ1 to teleport the party out of a hot mess knows what I'm talking about. They could replicate that in Hex. Have troops/players with the ability to do that. Keep that person alive for a few turns while they cast the spell. Save the day.

Bring back the challenge. And the terror.

Just saying.

And while I'm at it my guild has asked me to request 2 v. 2 casual play. Thanks!

Tricsun
05-27-2013, 08:06 AM
Penalty is having to start over from the beginning of the dungeon after dying three times. Seems like enough. The escape thing, maybe have it so it's limited uses per dungeon attempt (low, maybe 1-2 so it's not something you can spam), and just makes it so you back out of the current match, giving you another go without actually having to lose?

Avedecus
05-27-2013, 08:08 AM
I've never understood the concept of death penalties in games. What function do they serve other than making the game less enjoyable to play?

Talreth
05-27-2013, 08:10 AM
I've never understood the concept of death penalties in games. What function do they serve other than making the game less enjoyable to play?

If you're bad maybe

BossHoss
05-27-2013, 08:11 AM

It is a built in difficulty setting that directly effects the outcome of the loot drop. A flawless dungeon run will get you legendary equipment at a much higher percentage than a couple deaths on the way

Daer
05-27-2013, 08:24 AM
I think any death penalty besides the Death Marks are unnecessary.

Avedecus
05-27-2013, 08:26 AM
I think you're misunderstanding what I meant by death penalty: I mean things like XP loss, res sickness, damaged equipment etc. I've never understood what they added to gameplay that results in a net positive experience. Though an argument can be made for item damage as a goldsink to help the economy.

If you're bad maybe
Now that's just rude.

Talreth
05-27-2013, 08:36 AM
Now that's just rude.

Yeah. Everyone dies at some point :(

Gwaer
05-27-2013, 09:26 AM
It forces you to be afraid of the content, which can be a very good thing. If there's no real problem with dying, like wow. You can just run into new stuff willy nilly and not really have to creep and be super careful of a wipe. It really adds something to the game for me, anyway. And most people who come from that era of gaming.

jai151
05-27-2013, 09:26 AM
I think you're misunderstanding what I meant by death penalty: I mean things like XP loss, res sickness, damaged equipment etc. I've never understood what they added to gameplay that results in a net positive experience. Though an argument can be made for item damage as a goldsink to help the economy.

Now that's just rude.

Usually, it's in there to stop things like death walking through content you shouldn't be at yet or graveyard zerging bosses.

Lochar
05-27-2013, 09:29 AM
If I have to do a corpse run because of you I will hunt you down. Otherwise I'm fairly ok with some of the ideas here.

Fireblast
05-27-2013, 09:32 AM
Escape : once per day : skip your next turn, next time your turn starts, the game ends.

~

Tyrfang
05-27-2013, 09:52 AM
Why not just have a surrender button like most games?
Then restart the dungeon.

Shepherd74
05-27-2013, 11:10 AM
If I have to do a corpse run because of you I will hunt you down. Otherwise I'm fairly ok with some of the ideas here.

This made me laugh. The long nights spent making corpse runs in EQ1 still give me nightmares. I like Fireblast's idea too.

I wasn't suggesting severe penalties. But dying should be a thing. As someone mentioned, so it's not trivial. I liked the idea to award perfect runs too. PVE should come with a serious sense of accomplishment. I'm certain they are trying to find the right balance. I just hope there are some fairly difficult raids in the game for my guild and I to try to aspire too.

Madican
05-27-2013, 11:11 AM
The penalty is losing three times throws you out of the dungeon. This is significant enough because you only get loot from the final boss and it's directly influenced by your Momentum.

jai151
05-27-2013, 11:11 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKDkvy9sKuY

Boogaloo
05-27-2013, 11:13 AM
It forces you to be afraid of the content, which can be a very good thing. If there's no real problem with dying, like wow.

I'm of a similar mind to you, but there's a reason why WoW is the most popular and enduringly popular MMO of all time while the 'hardcore' stuff is niche at best.

I definitely wouldn't be opposed to things like scaling difficulty levels or the option to do the dungeons on a +mode at a harder difficulty (more restrictions, greater penalties for death, etc.) in exchange for the chance of getting better loot. That seems like the best compromise for everyone - casuals can experience the content while people who've invested a lot into the game and have put a lot of hours into making their decks can get a true challenge.

Shepherd74
05-27-2013, 11:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKDkvy9sKuY

That video takes me back. And the song is full of win. Good times.

Thanisse
05-27-2013, 12:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcbazH6aE2g

found this one lol
I almost forgot they existed :P