PDA

View Full Version : Drafting vs AI

TheDiv
05-27-2013, 05:27 PM
Just a suggestion here. I think it'd be cool if there was a simulated drafting tournament vs AI. Essentially, you go through all the usual steps with drafting and playing the games and such but you don't get to keep the cards as it's purely for practising.

This would give us an opportunity to gain experience with the process without having to spend money on each draft.

Thoughts?

ForgedSol
05-27-2013, 05:29 PM
That's similar to the Phantom Drafts Magic used to have (don't know what happened to those) where you could draft for just a ticket. You didn't keep the cards but got to draft with 7 other people. Doing that against the AI, maybe that should cost 1 platinum still, or half a platinum, or part of having the subscription or something. Free would be awesome, but I doubt it would be free.

Derium
05-27-2013, 05:30 PM
I know MTG has some programs where you can simulate draft picks. So I'm sure something can be made like that for HEX. However, it's just for picking your cards, not the actual playing.

TheDiv
05-27-2013, 05:33 PM
That's similar to the Phantom Drafts Magic used to have (don't know what happened to those) where you could draft for just a ticket. You didn't keep the cards but got to draft with 7 other people. Doing that against the AI, maybe that should cost 1 platinum still, or half a platinum, or part of having the subscription or something. Free would be awesome, but I doubt it would be free.

Ah interesting, those Phantom drafts could be even better if they're with real people!

If it's vs AI and you don't get any cards from it, I don't see why it should cost? I do suppose that it would take quite a bit of development time to get it working well as you'd need to simulate each game between all the AIs in the tournament as well as give them logic on how to pick cards.

wallofomens
05-27-2013, 05:39 PM
I think that's a great idea. Draft is one of the best formats, certainly my favourite, but I find that people are kind of afraid of playing it. It is kind of hard to get good at it. Also, some people don't feel confident playing against real opponents immediately, so something like that would solve both problems.

It could be like a draft with a small fee(1-2 dollars) where you don't get to keep the cards but if you win the tournament you get 1-2 packs. Or you enter with 3 of your packs and then get to keep your cards. The main point is that you get to experience both the drafting and the rounds after it in a "safe" environment.

Lazybum
05-27-2013, 05:41 PM
not a bad idea, i would use this if it was in the game

ForgedSol
05-27-2013, 05:46 PM
Ah interesting, those Phantom drafts could be even better if they're with real people!

If it's vs AI and you don't get any cards from it, I don't see why it should cost? I do suppose that it would take quite a bit of development time to get it working well as you'd need to simulate each game between all the AIs in the tournament as well as give them logic on how to pick cards.

As a complete 100% guess, I'd guess that the Phantom Drafts were too successful and caused Wizards to lose a lot of money. The same would probably happen with draft vs AI, especially if it was free.

TheDiv
05-27-2013, 05:47 PM
It could be like a draft with a small fee(1-2 dollars) where you don't get to keep the cards but if you win the tournament you get 1-2 packs. Or you enter with 3 of your packs and then get to keep your cards. The main point is that you get to experience both the drafting and the rounds after it in a "safe" environment.

Exactly, it's about getting that exposure without too much fear. The main reason I didn't suggest contributing your own boosters and then getting to keep the cards is that people would game the system by doing that and just picking the cards they need from the draft and then bailing.

A small fee with a prize at the end seems worth it though. But I think ideally it should be free with only superficial rewards perhaps like XP for your PvE champion or some PvE related stuff like gear so it can help you get good at PvP and still contribute to your PvE progress.

wallofomens
05-27-2013, 05:53 PM
The main reason I didn't suggest contributing your own boosters and then getting to keep the cards is that people would game the system by doing that and just picking the cards they need from the draft and then bailing.

Well you get to keep only the cards you opened, no matter what picks you made, since it's a practice thing. The cards your AI opponents open won't be real cards. In that case it is just like openening your own boosters.

TheDiv
05-27-2013, 06:36 PM
Well you get to keep only the cards you opened, no matter what picks you made, since it's a practice thing. The cards your AI opponents open won't be real cards. In that case it is just like openening your own boosters.

That's true, good point. Let's hope someone from Crypto sees this and makes it happen :D

Off-topic: I'm loving your YouTube channel mate, can't wait for some more vids to go up :) Keep up the great work!

syphonhail
05-27-2013, 06:42 PM
A gold fee would not be a bad idea either. Give people the option to pay plat or gold.

TheDiv
05-27-2013, 06:45 PM
A gold fee would not be a bad idea either. Give people the option to pay plat or gold.

Great idea, would make my DC perk even more useful :D

Qorsair
05-27-2013, 06:46 PM
I like the idea of allowing a booster draft with no prizes and no entry fee besides the 3 boosters.
The key difference would be the 3 boosters you take in are the cards you will leave with regardless of what cards you draft.

I don't know that this is a great idea from a business standpoint since some people may just use the boosters they got from KS to play drafts all year.

Maybe it would more sense for a "mock draft" to only allow for the draft portion, not continuing into the gameplay portion.
This would allow people to open their boosters in a fun way, and get some practice on their drafting skills. (Still only keeping the cards that were in the 3 boosters they brought, regardless of what they choose to draft.) And that wouldn't cannibalize the market for actual draft tournaments.

funktion
05-27-2013, 06:49 PM
There are some third party sites that let you simulate magic drafting, but to be completely honest they're nowhere near the real thing. And honestly there's no replacement for the real thing, reading / sending signals, planning on what will wheel, building decks that revolve around 1-2 cards without having those cards first, the list goes on and they are all things which are extremely difficult if not impossible to simulate.

There's no replacement for drafting with real people.

wallofomens
05-27-2013, 06:56 PM
Maybe it would more sense for a "mock draft" to only allow for the draft portion, not continuing into the gameplay portion.

But that's one of the most fun things about drafting. :D Trying out the deck you just drafted! It's not much of a practice if you don't know how effective it is.

I'm not sure how I feel about using gold to enter drafts, even practice ones. Doesn't seem like a great deal for Crypto, and I'm sure they want to keep the PvP stuff unattainable with PvE currency. As for platinum, I'm pretty sure you can already enter a draft with the platinum equivalent of 7 dollars.

That's true, good point. Let's hope someone from Crypto sees this and makes it happen :D

Off-topic: I'm loving your YouTube channel mate, can't wait for some more vids to go up :) Keep up the great work!

Thank you for your kind words. :) I'll definitely keep making more videos!

DisOrd3r
05-27-2013, 11:19 PM
I like the idea of this!
I'm a new to Tcg and think I will
like drafts the most.
But im afraid to go against humans right away xD

Maybe they could limit number of plays you can play against the ai per day/week.

Tyrfang
05-27-2013, 11:26 PM
I think something along the lines of three practice drafts a day (don't keep cards, don't win prizes, play against AI or other practice drafters) would actually help the longevity of the game and allow players to "ease" into drafting.

Conversely, they could just incorporate drafting/sealed into PvE related events, somehow. Like quests where you have a mock war against an AI ally and have to draft teams, or something.

wallofomens
05-27-2013, 11:39 PM
I think something along the lines of three practice drafts a day (don't keep cards, don't win prizes, play against AI or other practice drafters) would actually help the longevity of the game and allow players to "ease" into drafting.

Conversely, they could just incorporate drafting/sealed into PvE related events, somehow. Like quests where you have a mock war against an AI ally and have to draft teams, or something.

The devs have already said that PvE will include various mini-games, puzzles, formats, etc. and one of those will be sort of a draft.

TheDiv
05-27-2013, 11:42 PM
The devs have already said that PvE will include various mini-games, puzzles, formats, etc. and one of those will be sort of a draft.

Oh sweet. If there is one like a draft then I certainly hope it's re-playable and just happens to use the 350 PvP cards :P

wallofomens
05-27-2013, 11:46 PM
Oh sweet. If there is one like a draft then I certainly hope it's re-playable and just happens to use the 350 PvP cards :P

Well my guess is that it'll either use PvE cards, or if it is with PvP cards, then you won't be keeping them after the draft. But it should be replayable, I don't see why not.

Jugan
05-27-2013, 11:51 PM
As a complete 100% guess, I'd guess that the Phantom Drafts were too successful and caused Wizards to lose a lot of money. The same would probably happen with draft vs AI, especially if it was free.

They also destroyed the secondary markets for packs, which dropped as low as ~1.50 per pack in standard (from the $4 in store).