PDA

View Full Version : Experience bonus for cards? Anything official?

Digital_Aether
05-28-2013, 12:55 PM
The Guild Master tier gives a 10% experience bonus for PvE. I know the running assumption is that it's only for champion / mercenary experience and not cards, but I don't know if it's ever been directly stated by CZE. I was hoping to find out more officially if the bonus counts towards foiling cards or not. I would assume that cards gather experience and foil from PvE content (otherwise how could you foil PvE cards?), which is why I'm curious what was intended. Does anyone have info / a link that explains it? If it hasn't been stated, an official Crypto reply would be much appreciated.

traeki
05-28-2013, 01:08 PM
This doesn't answer your question re: GM, but it looks like each card specifies how it levels up, and that specification isn't really tied to PVE or PVP. (The raptor appears to level up by dealing damage, for example. http://hextcg.wikia.com/wiki/File:KS_DOUBLE_BACK.png.)

Assuming that is representative (and doesn't change before launch, certainly these things aren't carved in stone), cards wouldn't care about context for leveling purposes. Now, clearly PVE cards would not be able to gain levels outside of PVE, or maybe Wild West (which is arguably both), just because you couldn't _use_ them outside those contexts. But not for any more fundamental reason.

ShaolinRaven
05-28-2013, 01:08 PM
I hope it doesn't apply to cards or because that opens it up to foil grinding for fun and profit... well maybe potential profit and probably not that much fun.

Digital_Aether
05-28-2013, 01:42 PM
I don't really have a strong emotion on it either way, I'm mostly just curious. I know I'll want to get foil and extended art for any decks I play, and never found out officially if this helps that or not. Especially since every card has its own bar, I feel like foiling and EA will be a pretty significant time investment across a full deck.

ForgedSol
05-28-2013, 01:55 PM
Same here. I'm curious, but don't have a particular stake in it either way.

Jaydawg6958
05-28-2013, 02:07 PM
I hope it does apply to cards, most of the comments i've read say the Guild Master tier is the worst, maybe adding that experience to cards might tip the scale slightly? 10% also isn't going to equal huge profits when converting cards into foils.

Yinwaru
05-28-2013, 05:27 PM
Guild Master could use something like that, I think. It's a nice idea, and would offset it being a relatively weak tier by itself.

wallofomens
05-28-2013, 05:37 PM
The way you get achievements and experience for cards is you get it for your account - so that every copy of that card on your account gets the experience and achievements. As opposed to each individual card tracking experience/achievements. I am getting this correctly, right? Cause it wouldn't make sense otherwise.

If that's the case then "grinding" cards up to foil for profit becomes irrelevant.

Digital_Aether
05-28-2013, 05:38 PM
Guild Master could use something like that, I think. It's a nice idea, and would offset it being a relatively weak tier by itself.

It would be a pretty nifty bonus. With sets coming out 3 times a year, trying to keep up to date on your foils could be big for some. I have every intention of foiling as many cards as I can, which in turn will keep me playing new decks and keeping things fresh. I really do enjoy that double back system, and the meta games it allows.

Digital_Aether
05-28-2013, 05:38 PM
The way you get achievements and experience for cards is you get it for your account - so that every copy of that card on your account gets the experience and achievements. As opposed to each individual card tracking experience/achievements. I am getting this correctly, right? Cause it wouldn't make sense otherwise.

If that's the case then "grinding" cards up to foil for profit becomes irrelevant.

Nope, it is individual cards. Each card in the entire MMO is a unique entry, with unique stats that follow it even after trading.

edit:
There are also account achievements, but those are different.

ShaolinRaven
05-28-2013, 09:36 PM

No, each individual card has its own ID tag so experience and achievements are for individual cards. If you have 4 pack raptors in your deck each one levels up and gets achievements separately because Hex tracks every card on its own merits/use.

There will be account and player achievements, but the card achievements are unique to that card and follow that card if you sell/trade it.

Lazybum
05-28-2013, 09:39 PM
No, each individual card has its own ID tag so experience and achievements are for individual cards. If you have 4 pack raptors in your deck each one levels up and gets achievements separately because Hex tracks every card on its own merits/use.

There will be account and player achievements, but the card achievements are unique to that card and follow that card if you sell/trade it.

the database need to keep track of a billion cards xp is going to be insane, lol

wallofomens
05-28-2013, 09:58 PM

I realize that each card has its own ID.

But each card tracking its own exp and achievemets seems like a terrible design to me... for one thing, it would make looking through cards on the AH a nightmare and pricing will be dependant on the cards exp and achievements - it seems terrible. Another thing is that people will be a lot more reluctant to trade their cards that they have used for so long, got all the achievements, got all the experience themselves.

I must say I don't like this. I much prefer an account bound card exp and achievements - like I mentioned card exp and achievements should be for any copy of the card that you possess, even if you decide to trade all of them and at a later date decide to get some again. It is a much more elegant system.

RobHaven
05-28-2013, 10:08 PM
I realize that each card has its own ID.

But each card tracking its own exp and achievemets seems like a terrible design to me... for one thing, it would make looking through cards on the AH a nightmare and pricing will be dependant on the cards exp and achievements - it seems terrible. Another thing is that people will be a lot more reluctant to trade their cards that they have used for so long, got all the achievements, got all the experience themselves.

I must say I don't like this. I much prefer an account bound card exp and achievements - like I mentioned card exp and achievements should be for any copy of the card that you possess, even if you decide to trade all of them and at a later date decide to get some again. It is a much more elegant system.

I was really looking forward to maxing out each card and selling it, but I have to admit that it does sound like a pretty terrible concept (from Crypto's end). It makes a lot more sense for the card unlocks to be tied to your account. If you level the card, any instance of playing [a copy of] that card in your deck will show as the EA or foil version. It kills the "I'm selling my foils" market, obviously, but it significantly reduces the complications and potential issues on CZE's side.

Tyrfang
05-28-2013, 10:08 PM
I wouldn't say it's more elegant from a programming point of view.
Just reset partially leveled cards on AH trades, and keep it on "regular" trades.

wallofomens
05-28-2013, 10:20 PM
I wouldn't say it's more elegant from a programming point of view.
Just reset partially leveled cards on AH trades, and keep it on "regular" trades.

I didn't mean from programming point of view, shouldn't be too much of a hassle there. I meant from video game design point of view.

And yes, for the AH, cards can have their exp reset but still makes it more complicated. I just think that card exp and achievements are better if they are account bound. Even if you trade your copies of a card and after a while get some back it still feels like "your" card, because you got these achievements yourself. Also, this way foils and EA would actually mean something, a certain dedication to the game, where as otherwise it would just mean that you are willing to spend more money on a shiny card.

ShaolinRaven
05-29-2013, 01:11 AM
I didn't mean from programming point of view, shouldn't be too much of a hassle there. I meant from video game design point of view.

And yes, for the AH, cards can have their exp reset but still makes it more complicated. I just think that card exp and achievements are better if they are account bound. Even if you trade your copies of a card and after a while get some back it still feels like "your" card, because you got these achievements yourself. Also, this way foils and EA would actually mean something, a certain dedication to the game, where as otherwise it would just mean that you are willing to spend more money on a shiny card.

Or you could just keep the cards you level. You only need to level 4 of any card you want a complete play set for, so if you keep them in your deck and just sell of the rest you keep your achievs.

I actually like it on the cards myself, especially since the deck will also acquire trophies as you win tournaments with the bigger tournaments having better looking trophies.

IndigoShade
05-29-2013, 03:02 AM
This topic brings me back to a point I made in another thread. With the exp system they described, in a way it encourages me not to play a foil / extended art card and instead begin to level up another one after I "max one out". Which is fine, if that's how they want to do things. It's just something to consider.

Hatts
05-29-2013, 05:13 AM
Which is fine, if that's how they want to do things.

It's fine if that's the way you want to do things. Others may want to keep using their foils and add more wins to them, or because shiny.

Digital_Aether
05-29-2013, 05:22 AM
It's fine if that's the way you want to do things. Others may want to keep using their foils and add more wins to them, or because shiny.

Yeah, it keeps track of statistics beyond foiling. You'd still grow the number of kills or damage done or what ever the stats are for that card. If it makes you want to swap out and keep foiling, that's just your play style. I think foiling individual cards that can trade will be important for collectors because of how many cards there are, and how long it could take for people to foil some of them. With only a few months between sets, keeping up the pace could be too hard for an individual alone.