PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Clarification: Set 2 Release with Beta considerations

TheDiv
05-28-2013, 06:59 PM
There is probably a very straightforward answer so this question but I just wanted some clarification.

Let's assume new sets will be released every 4 months, so Set 2 will be released 4 months after Set 1.

My question is will Set 2 be released:
[a] 4 months after Beta begins regardless of official game launch date
[b] 4 months after official game launch regardless of beta length

The reason I ask is so I can begin planning how I intend on opening boosters and how often I will draft.
If it's [a], then I will only require enough boosters to meet my drafting needs for 4 months as from then I can use Set 2 boosters, correct?
If it's [b], then I will need to account for a greater length of time, that extra time is an unknown but I'd make an assumption of beta lasting 3 to 5 months.

Thoughts?

Avedecus
05-28-2013, 07:01 PM
It will probably be a few months out from launch. The beta itself sounds like it will last at least a couple months.

jai151
05-28-2013, 07:02 PM
The safe assumption would be B. Releasing a second set while still in beta (especially a closed beta) would not quite send the right message on launch

RECHiD
05-28-2013, 07:05 PM
Short answer: we don't know.

Rambling answer: I would think that set 2 comes out 4 months after official launch day. Also, you might not want to crack all your "unneeded" set 1 boosters. In Magic, when a second set of a block comes out, you draft the new set WITH the old set. This is done because subsequent sets are usually smaller, and build off of a base of themes set up in the first set.

TheDiv
05-28-2013, 07:07 PM
Short answer: we don't know.

Rambling answer: I would think that set 2 comes out 4 months after official launch day. Also, you might not want to crack all your "unneeded" set 1 boosters. In Magic, when a second set of a block comes out, you draft the new set WITH the old set. This is done because subsequent sets are usually smaller, and build off of a base of themes set up in the first set.

Ah fair enough. I think at this stage I'm going to allow myself to open 25 to 50 just for the sheer thrill of opening boosters :P The rest I'll save :)

wallofomens
05-28-2013, 07:10 PM
My guess would be 4 months after beta has started(after set 1 is released). There is no reason to break the 4 month pace of releaseing sets that they plan to follow.

Tyrfang
05-28-2013, 07:10 PM
TheDiv: If you're going to open them anyway, why not just play limited constructed tournaments?

wallofomens
05-28-2013, 07:11 PM
limited constructed tournaments

WOW! What are those? :D But yeah, I'm definitely drafting with all non-primal boosters I get. I'm not opening a single one of them!

TheDiv
05-28-2013, 07:12 PM
TheDiv: If you're going to open them anyway, why not just play limited constructed tournaments?

As you probably noticed I'm fairly new to the competitive side of TCGs so I'd like to be in a position where I can try both types out to begin with (i.e. having enough of a card base to construct a deck but also have enough un-opened boosters to draft). I'm very open to advice and such if you can suggest better ways of approaching this :)

Lazybum
05-28-2013, 07:12 PM
would prob be a bad idea to release a 2nd set in beta

jai151
05-28-2013, 07:13 PM
My guess would be 4 months after beta has started(after set 1 is released). There is no reason to break the 4 month pace of releaseing sets that they plan to follow.

In my opinion, that would be breaking the 4 month release plan, since the first set wouldn't release until the game does. Remember the beta is not open, it's only for the backers.

wallofomens
05-28-2013, 07:17 PM
In my opinion, that would be breaking the 4 month release plan, since the first set wouldn't release until the game does. Remember the beta is not open, it's only for the backers.

I hadn't considered that! You, sir, are absolutely correct!

Tyrfang
05-28-2013, 07:22 PM
On a related note, I wonder if they will do "pre-release" events.

jai151
05-28-2013, 07:32 PM

I really hope so! Those were some of my favorite times in Magic

Tyrfang
05-28-2013, 08:04 PM
I really hope so! Those were some of my favorite times in Magic

Yeah, but there's no need, logistically, to have a "pre-release", as the digital store is the only distribution channel.
I guess they could call it a teaser or preview weekend.

Kalius
05-28-2013, 08:30 PM
Yeah, but there's no need, logistically, to have a "pre-release", as the digital store is the only distribution channel.

Sure there is, for the same reason other TCGs have them. Alternate art promos.

jai151
05-28-2013, 08:46 PM

It's more to drum up excitement over the new set than to get product to retailers. I mean they could call it a release party since it's all online, but pre-release is just so ingrained into TCG culture and there's no real need to change it.

ShaolinRaven
05-28-2013, 09:31 PM

Actually they could have a pre-release weekend where sealed/draft tourneys featured the new set a week or two before the official launch. And up the prizes, but make it only consist of the new set boosters/starters.

Cotton
05-28-2013, 09:42 PM

http://hextcg.com/game/tournaments/

Tyrfang
05-28-2013, 09:43 PM

"These tournaments will happen prior to the release of the new set. Players will be able to preview the cards via sealed tournaments with special prizes."

Huh, guess I missed that. Thanks.

Lazybum
05-28-2013, 09:45 PM

Pre-Release Tournaments
These tournaments will happen prior to the release of the new set. Players will be able to preview the cards via sealed tournaments with special prizes.

copied from link

Punk
05-29-2013, 01:05 AM
Since the beta will be longer than 4 months (until Q2 of next year, right?), I am going to assume it will be 4 months from the official launch of the game.

Grissnap
05-29-2013, 01:09 AM
That would be a safe assumption.

Jacklau89
05-29-2013, 01:47 AM
Thought Cory mentioned game launch before end of this year (instead of next) if things go smoothly. So we might have arounds 3 months of beta only.That would be sweet as I love to go raid and see new sets coming out consistently without waiting for months.

Fireblast
05-29-2013, 02:20 AM
The initial card pool being huge and the game being new, we won't be bored even if we play 8 months before set 2 :)

~