PDA

View Full Version : There needs to be a way to feel improvement in competitive PVP

Shrennan
05-28-2013, 07:12 PM
Obviously success like becoming the world's best Hex player or even entering one of the coveted pro tournaments asserting one's right as one of the best Hex players in the world is limited to a few, and not many.

That's why I propose that CZE should look at how popular e-Sport games handle matchmaking and overall ranking. I really like how SC2 does it with Leagues - going up or down a league or division is a tangible way to show how a player stacks up with other players and whether or not he or she is improving. Obviously, I hope CZE thinks about e-sports a lot because I think Hex has a foundation to become a really great e-sport but it should also let players feel like they improved in incremental ways via leagues/divisions/rankings. I feel like this is obvious, but I was just thinking about it today. Also, tournaments would obviously include only the people from a certain league or division (and the top tournament would include the top people from the top league.

wallofomens
05-28-2013, 07:19 PM
Yes, I like the idea of leagues.

Tyrfang
05-28-2013, 07:21 PM
You get qualifier points as you win limited events that are required to enter qualifier events for championships and the like.

I assume constructed matchmaker PvP will have some sort of ranking system, similar to League of Legends or SC2.

TheDiv
05-28-2013, 07:23 PM
I agree. Definitely needs to be some tangible way to see how you're going. I guess the only other way is to use your Win/Loss ratio to see how well you're doing?

Shrennan
05-28-2013, 07:37 PM
You get qualifier points as you win limited events that are required to enter qualifier events for championships and the like.

That's a good way of handling the tournaments and, actually, it would allow people from other leagues to compete for championship tournaments and whatnot (I think that's a good thing, actually). Although what if there were champions of each league? Then those champions would then (obviously) move past their current league but also be automatically qualified into a championship tournament? That's only assuming there is a league system though.

I assume constructed matchmaker PvP will have some sort of ranking system, similar to League of Legends or SC2.

I hope so. It's not only a good way to see information on the UI with regards to your improvement but it could also include bragging rights - for instance, if you are in the Platinum League, then that could be mentioned on your general player profile and your picture when you are in parties and whatnot.

I agree. Definitely needs to be some tangible way to see how you're going. I guess the only other way is to use your Win/Loss ratio to see how well you're doing?

That's the worst way to handle it because it's really something that you can only get a guess at and there's no fun things CZE could really do around that like they could with leagues or divisions.

TheDiv
05-28-2013, 08:15 PM
That's the worst way to handle it because it's really something that you can only get a guess at and there's no fun things CZE could really do around that like they could with leagues or divisions.

Exactly. My point was that the alternative to leagues is just terrible :P

Tyrfang
05-28-2013, 08:18 PM
The alternative to leagues would be to completely ignore "informal" matches and only count tournament results, similar to the way MTG and Chess is generally ranked now.

wallofomens
05-28-2013, 08:21 PM
The alternative to leagues would be to completely ignore "informal" matches and only count tournament results, similar to the way MTG and Chess is generally ranked now.

Well I assume that there will be a casual, "off the ladder mode", like "custom games" in SC2. I strongly agree with the idea of including a league/ladder system.

funktion
05-28-2013, 08:31 PM
While having tournament entries & byes be dictated by ELO or Ladder / League system is fine, having it in any way actually impact the initial pairings of a tournament is totally not fine at all.

The reason that Swiss style pairings work is that everyone enters the tournament on an equal footing (outside of byes), and at the end of the tournament the standings show their prowess for that given tournament / day.

Having the pairings be anything other than random at the start causes very weird things to happen during tie-breakers, and it also innadvertently rewards the bad players for being bad and punishes the good players.

Edit: also if you want to "feel" improvement, feel it by getting better prize payouts than when you were bad... that's enough for me.

RECHiD
05-28-2013, 08:46 PM
I'm sure they are going to have some sort of PVP ranking, be it public ELO rating, or StarCraft style Divisions/Tiers, or some other system.

I fully realize that ELO is ideal for games of near-zero-chance, and TCGs involve lots of chance, but it still gives a good indication of skill level of 1 vs 1 play over long periods of time.

Edit: Swiss pairings = good system.

maniza
05-28-2013, 09:17 PM
i like the league or ladder sistem that would make it intresting. also people from diamond or whatever the last tiers are get invitations to tournaments. that would be cool