PDA

View Full Version : The "mulligan" system !

RASLL
05-28-2013, 07:47 PM
Hi, i'm a wowtcg player and i'm a bit disappointed by the HEX "mulligan" system.

I mean the way you are suppose to change the cards in your hand in order to get other cards. (i hope it's clear, english isn't my first language)

My point is, it's 100% MTG like and this is sad because the wowtcg system is far better: you can change your hand one time, and only one time, and you draw 7 cards.

As HEX's ressource system is more like MTG than like wowtcg, i do not expect it to be only one mulligan to 7 cards.

But, here is what i suggest: one "free" mulligan to 7 cards and then, classic mulligans, to 6,5,4,3,2,1 and 0 cards.

IMHO, it could be better than the MTG system HEX's developers decided to use, don't you guys think?

Cotton
05-28-2013, 07:50 PM
I think that's a bad idea, it would come down to who mulligand better. Hmm this hands decent but nah I'm gonna mull and look for a god like hand.

wallofomens
05-28-2013, 07:51 PM
I prefer the standard mulligan system - first mulligan = 6 cards. A first mulligan = 7 cards system favors decks that rely on chance more, and I don't like decks that rely on chance.

Lazybum
05-28-2013, 08:02 PM
always thought tournament rules for mtg was first mulligan you took 6 instead of the normal 7

wallofomens
05-28-2013, 08:03 PM
always thought tournament rules for mtg was first mulligan you took 6 instead of the normal 7

It is. What made you think otherwise?

Tyrfang
05-28-2013, 08:07 PM

In Duels of the Planewalkers, you get a freebie.

wallofomens
05-28-2013, 08:09 PM
In Duels of the Planewalkers, you get a freebie.

Jesus, that game is a mess! :D

Lazybum
05-28-2013, 08:22 PM

havent played mtg in prob 7 years that is why i was wondering other wise

Kalius
05-28-2013, 08:22 PM
The main difference between a mulligan in WoWTCG and a mulligan in MtG and Hex is in WoWTCG you don't have to have cards specifically used for resources, so even if you mull a hand away and get no quests on the mull, you can still play.

If Hex used WoWTCG's mulligan system, you could mulligan away a resource imbalanced hand(no resources, all resources, few resources and all high cost cards, etc..), and get a no resource hand! And then you would be stuck with it.

wallofomens
05-28-2013, 08:24 PM
The main difference between a mulligan in WoWTCG and a mulligan in MtG and Hex is in WoWTCG you don't have to have cards specifically used for resources, so even if you mull a hand away and get no quests on the mull, you can still play.

If Hex used WoWTCG's mulligan system, you could mulligan away a resource imbalanced hand(no resources, all resources, few resources and all high cost cards, etc..) and get, a no resource hand! And then you would be stuck with it.

So in WoW you get only one mulligan to 7? No further mulligans to 6,5,4,etc. are allowed?

Kalius
05-28-2013, 08:35 PM
So in WoW you get only one mulligan to 7? No further mulligans to 6,5,4,etc. are allowed?

yep. you get one mull.

Personally, I think a paris mulligan rule would work well. You remove X cards in your starting hand from the game, and draw x-1 new cards. when you're happy with your hand(or just don't want to lose more cards), you shuffle all the removed cards back into your deck.

jai151
05-28-2013, 08:44 PM
yep. you get one mull.

Personally, I think a paris mulligan rule would work well. You remove X cards in your starting hand from the game, and draw x-1 new cards. when you're happy with your hand(or just don't want to lose more cards), you shuffle all the removed cards back into your deck.

That's worse than the free mulligan for chance decks (well, better if you play one) as it improves your odds of drawing a particular card. The only mulligans I would support are toss and lose a card or free toss for all or no resource (and forced to show hand).

ForgedSol
05-28-2013, 08:44 PM
Someone in a thread long buried suggested a 6-6-5-4-3-2-1 system to not give a free mulligan on your first time, but then give one "re-do" at the 6 card level. Thought it was an interesting idea to consider.

Another option could be to pre-empt the mulligan, and on your first draw, draw eight cards instead of seven, then choose to shuffle one back into your deck. Then have a mulligan as normal (6-5-4-3-2-1) if you don't like the eight cards on your initial draw.

But with both idea, there's the same issue, although not as severe, as giving a free mulligan to 7 cards. It makes combo decks more powerful. It gives them more chances to draw the specific card they have to have on the first turn. Where this increase is a problem that out-weighs any benefit, I'm not sure.

ForgedSol
05-28-2013, 08:48 PM
That's worse than the free mulligan for chance decks (well, better if you play one) as it improves your odds of drawing a particular card. The only mulligans I would support are toss and lose a card or free toss for all or no resource (and forced to show hand).

I actually have a problem with a free mulligan on a no resource hand. When it becomes possible to design a 1 or 2 resource deck, that can be abused so easily (Like Belcher decks in Magic). Since resources aren't permanents like lands are in Magic, I don't know if the opposite can be abused (A deck that relies on an absurd amount resources (especially non-basics) with a few key creatures.

jai151
05-28-2013, 08:50 PM
I actually have a problem with a free mulligan on a no resource hand. When it becomes possible to design a 1 or 2 resource deck, that can be abused so easily (Like Belcher decks in Magic). Since resources aren't permanents like lands are in Magic, I don't know if the opposite can be abused (A deck that relies on an absurd amount resources (especially non-basics) with a few key creatures.

One time free mulligan on an all or no resource hand is what I meant, not repeating. You get two chances at pulling that one or two resources, but that's not nearly good enough to make such a deck competitive.

ForgedSol
05-28-2013, 09:00 PM
Oh okay, that's not so bad. Just like either of the two ideas I mentioned, it helps those kinds of potentially abusive decks, but maybe the benefits to everyone else are worth it.