PDA

View Full Version : Why do you think people are favoring Dungeon Crawler over Collector?

Psytech
05-29-2013, 08:40 AM
After a thread I made a couple of days ago, I decided to pick Collector over Dungeon Crawler for it's potential. Still, ever since the 1 year of free drafts was set for the 250$ tiers, Dungeon Crawler has been growing a lot more than Collector.

Why do you all think this has happened? Anyone out there who picked DC over Collector could please tell me why you did it?

Xenavire
05-29-2013, 08:42 AM
I think the earning potential if more loot is a bigger draw, for people looking to invest with payout at the end.

MisterBurkes
05-29-2013, 08:42 AM
I picked Collector over Dungeon Crawler, for the simple reason that I will probably be playing more PvP than PvE and am a sucker for alternate/exclusive art.

If you plan on playing both PvE and PvP extensively I think DC is the much more balanced option.

Gwaer
05-29-2013, 08:44 AM
2 copies of 6 alt art pvp cards is a wildcard benefit, those cards could be amazing you're getting for free, they could be ridiculously valuable, and pay for your drafting fees for a year. Or they could be meh, and just simply a novelty.

twice as much loot from every dungeon, ever? That's quite a big benefit that you can really see. If you pve, you are effectively doing it twice as much. if you only pve a little bit, it helps you get whatever you need, if you pve constantly you're making huge bank.

Mushroom_C1oud
05-29-2013, 08:45 AM
Before Pro Player even sold out I was considering getting Dungeon Crawler over it because the extra loot bonus seems like it would be more fun to collect gear than get 6 alt cards. I'm not even sure if I would even draft once a week to make a Pro Player worth it. I ended up going GK because I wanted all the PvE bonuses, the alt art and free drafting for life is extra.

MisterBurkes
05-29-2013, 08:48 AM
2 copies of 6 alt art pvp cards is a wildcard benefit, those cards could be amazing you're getting for free, they could be ridiculously valuable, and pay for your drafting fees for a year. Or they could be meh, and just simply a novelty.

twice as much loot from every dungeon, ever? That's quite a big benefit that you can really see. If you pve, you are effectively doing it twice as much. if you only pve a little bit, it helps you get whatever you need, if you pve constantly you're making huge bank.

From dungeon bosses only. But yes it will cut your potential PvE boss grinds by 1/2.

MrCwis
05-29-2013, 09:15 AM
People are valueing the double loot more the 6(x2) alt art PVP cards a year. The alternate arts are just to much of a wild card in value for some since we don't know which cards will be choosen or how valuable they will be. It would be sweet if Cryptozoic choose the most commonly used constructed cards as the 6 choose for the alternate arts or some methond that made sure they would be wanted by the general public.

MisterBurkes
05-29-2013, 09:19 AM
People are valueing the double loot more the 6(x2) alt art PVP cards a year. The alternate arts are just to much of a wild card in value for some since we don't know which cards will be choosen or how valuable they will be. It would be sweet if Cryptozoic choose the most commonly used constructed cards as the 6 choose for the alternate arts or some methond that made sure they would be wanted by the general public.

The alt art PvP cards will be valuable regardless imo out of sheer rarity. People who are buying the collector tier are going to at least hang onto 1x copy of each alt art, which opens up only 1x copy to trade. I'm assuming most GKs and DL's will also want to hang onto 1x copy of each alt art as well. This means approx 1600 max in trade circulation.

CoolGrayAJ
05-29-2013, 09:25 AM
I've been a strong advocate for Dungeon Crawler since I backed three weeks ago (while PPT and GK were still available). You can read about my thoughts on it here (http://coolgraycorner.com/2013/05/18/hex-pro-player-pledge-tiers-sold-out/), but I wanted to say something else about Collector.

This may or may not sway you to get Collector, but I want to point out that the value of Collector increases with a lower number of backers. Let that sink in for a moment.

The cards you get are for PvP, which already means that the regular versions of those cards will have originated from packs, which people pay real money for (at some point). Add on to that a rarity value, which means the less people back Collector, the rarer these Collector exclusive cards will be.

Gwaer
05-29-2013, 09:29 AM
That's kind of why I'm super happy whenever I see low numbers of collectors. Let DC fill up first! =)

Indormi
05-29-2013, 09:30 AM
If you are going to play solo PvE, DC is great. Collector is more of gambling set. If the AA cards are usefull( dont need to be rare or legendary, just good for being in some kinds of deck) you could probably get lots of PvE currency or PvP booster packs, if they are meh or just plain bad, they will have value sure but DC bonus will be much better for PvE and Potentially PvP if you manage to sell the extra equipment.

Verdant
05-29-2013, 09:33 AM
Why is everyone so obsessed with financial value of the cards? I picked up DC even before PP ran out just because of the sheer fun of it. It's fun to find gear, to share with friends, even to occasionally browse auction for cards that make your imaginary decks click. Yeah, maybe down the line I could make more profit with Collector or Pro Player, but I want to play a game not to run financial simulator. Have enough of it at work, thank you very much.

And if my non-AA cards/gear/gold won't be enough to get some shinies, then that's it. It's a numbers game, good things come to those who are patient enough.

Tathel
05-29-2013, 09:33 AM
I went collector because pro was sold out by the time i got the nerve to pay that much!

but picked it over the other tiers because I felt that I could work hard and get anything PVE that i really much cared about. But no matter how much i played the only way to get those 6 alt art cards is likely via trade or money.

I like alternate art as a concept (as long as it's not going way overboard like some comic companies do)

Also I felt that long term It would be more tradable. I think this game will last at least 5 years barring any major missteps. By that point i think the player base will be big enough and there will be enough interest that the alt art cards i don't really want will be tradable at decent value. Where as that far in i'm not sure PVE stuff will maintain much real market value.

I could be wrong but i feel better picking collector anyway cause it is more suited to what i'm like anyway. I started off collecting magic cards when i was young before actually starting to play ^_^

MisterBurkes
05-29-2013, 09:38 AM
Why is everyone so obsessed with financial value of the cards? I picked up DC even before PP ran out just because of the sheer fun of it. It's fun to find gear, to share with friends, even to occasionally browse auction for cards that make your imaginary decks click.

MMO background mentality :cool:

The opposite side of the coin is TCG Collector: I want 4x (full playset) of every card that is ever released. :p

Indormi
05-29-2013, 09:40 AM
Why is everyone so obsessed with financial value of the cards? I picked up DC even before PP ran out just because of the sheer fun of it. It's fun to find gear, to share with friends, even to occasionally browse auction for cards that make your imaginary decks click. Yeah, maybe down the line I could make more profit with Collector or Pro Player, but I want to play a game not to run financial simulator. Have enough of it at work, thank you very much.

And if my non-AA cards/gear/gold won't be enough to get some shinies, then that's it. It's a numbers game, good things come to those who are patient enough.

We are obsess because the tier we want is no longer availeable so we want a tier that fits or necesities as best as possible, and that most likely means trade the extras from the tier we chose to get similar "extras" from the tier we want but cant get

Chance
05-29-2013, 09:42 AM
because you said you weren't interested in PvE only funding PvP. I believe you could put effort in and make more plat with DC but collector is passive income and fit your goals

Cotton
05-29-2013, 09:42 AM
MMO background mentality :cool:

The opposite side of the coin is TCG Collector: I want 4x (full playset) of every card that is ever released. :p

Well the producer tier is just perfect for you

MisterBurkes
05-29-2013, 09:44 AM
Well the producer tier is just perfect for you
Alas, if it was only $9,000 cheaper.

Turtlewing
05-29-2013, 09:48 AM
The value of Collector is both longer term and more speculative than the value from Dungeon Crawler so from a return on investment approach Dungeon Crawler is the safer bet.

Basicly, In order for the Collector to "make back" the cost of the pledge by selling the AA cards there needs to be enough demand to drive up the price. That means among other things, that waiting for other collectors to become less active, and more new players who didn't participate in the kickstarter joining. It's also possible that in spite of their rarity the AA cards may never be particularly valuable.

Dungeon Crawler on the other hand starts getting you more loot right from the beginning, and there is little risk of the loot being low value since you can choose to run whatever dungeons give the best loot.

Indormi
05-29-2013, 10:01 AM
The value of Collector is both longer term and more speculative than the value from Dungeon Crawler so from a return on investment approach Dungeon Crawler is the safer bet.

Basicly, In order for the Collector to "make back" the cost of the pledge by selling the AA cards there needs to be enough demand to drive up the price. That means among other things, that waiting for other collectors to become less active, and more new players who didn't participate in the kickstarter joining. It's also possible that in spite of their rarity the AA cards may never be particularly valuable.

Dungeon Crawler on the other hand starts getting you more loot right from the beginning, and there is little risk of the loot being low value since you can choose to run whatever dungeons give the best loot.
`
^ Couldnt have said it better

High risk/High Reward/May be over a long period of time

Low risk

Turtlewing
05-29-2013, 10:08 AM
`
^ Couldnt have said it better

High risk/High Reward/May be over a long period of time

Low risk

Of coarse that doesn't necessarily make collector a bad choice. Personally I went GK+Collector, because I'm willing to roll the dice on that long term value and I've hedged against it with the GK's other perks. But in general you can expect people to be more risk averse and prefer the safer bet with the potentially smaller but better assured reward.

The other reason to go Collector is if you expect PvP to be your main focus and don't anticipate running a lot of dungeons. Since the AA cards are PvP cards you can make more use of them than you can loot from a game mode you don't expect to do much with, and you still get the year of weekly drafts. But by this point the bulk of people who are looking for PvP rewards have likely pledged Pro Player.

MisterBurkes
05-29-2013, 10:10 AM
But by this point the bulk of people who are looking for PvP rewards have likely pledged Pro Player.

Or hoping the people who have 2-3x pro player pledges give up 1... :(

Madican
05-29-2013, 10:14 AM
I'll be playing both sides of the game. Got PP tier though since I'd like to do drafts without paying. PvE though I can do anytime for no cost.

Lazybum
05-29-2013, 10:16 AM
collector dont seem to offer much for those who dont already have a PP or GK or higher, willing to bet most of the collector tiers were taken by people who have GK or higher so they will get a full set of AA cards each time one is put out

Indormi
05-29-2013, 10:18 AM
Of coarse that doesn't necessarily make collector a bad choice. Personally I went GK+Collector, because I'm willing to roll the dice on that long term value and I've hedged against it with the GK's other perks. But in general you can expect people to be more risk averse and prefer the safer bet with the potentially smaller but better assured reward.

The other reason to go Collector is if you expect PvP to be your main focus and don't anticipate running a lot of dungeons. Since the AA cards are PvP cards you can make more use of them than you can loot from a game mode you don't expect to do much with, and you still get the year of weekly drafts. But by this point the bulk of people who are looking for PvP rewards have likely pledged Pro Player.

GK+Collectors is a good choice, the best tiers that stack with themselves are PP and collectors by far. And as PP are completly exhausted that is IMO the best combination possible. Better than Dragon Lord unless you really value the vanity card design or you are able and will attend to the dinner party with few increased cost.( In my case the dinner perk will likely cost me 600 bucks extra easily)

MisterBurkes
05-29-2013, 10:18 AM
collector dont seem to offer much for those who dont already have a PP or GK or higher, willing to bet most of the collector tiers were taken by people who have GK or higher so they will get a full set of AA cards each time one is put out

I took 2x collector since there are no PPs or GKs left :(

Cotton
05-29-2013, 10:21 AM

Ditto

Indormi
05-29-2013, 10:22 AM

I'm trying to snipe a GK or a PP. If I cant get any of this I will go double collector or collector+DC most likely

Lazybum
05-29-2013, 10:22 AM

well i did say most, but either way you did it to get the 4x AA cards each time is put out correct?

MisterBurkes
05-29-2013, 10:24 AM
well i did say most, but either way you did it to get the 4x AA cards each time is put out correct?

Ofc.

Indormi
05-29-2013, 10:26 AM
Thats the plan, and double collector is double the gambit, without the security of GK

MisterBurkes
05-29-2013, 10:28 AM
Thats the plan, and double collector is double the gambit, without the security of GK

Yolo.

jai151
05-29-2013, 10:34 AM
Yolo.

Itemized responses follow:

1) Yeah? Prove it.
2) The Buddhists would like a word with you.
3) Why yes, I do like owls!
4) In what possible scenario could betting wrong on a video game with disposable income lead to the downfall or redemption of your life?
5) Yeah... shut up, kid. *you just got an itemized list from the Thnikkaman*

Indormi
05-29-2013, 10:35 AM
Yolo.

Not YOLO, YOPO (You Only Pay Once, next time you know better xD)