PDA

View Full Version : Inspire

TheProphet
05-29-2013, 08:48 PM
the wording on cards with inspire can be taken 2 ways IE: the mirrior knight

when a creature with equal or higher cost enters play the mirror knight gains permanent damage = draw a card

or the equal or higher cost card gainspermanent damage = draw a card

wallofomens
05-29-2013, 08:52 PM
http://hex.potion-of-wit.com/img/cards/CeruleanMirrorKnight-215x300.png

I don't see any ambiguity with the wording. It is pretty clear what it does and which card gets the effect. Right?

Lazybum
05-29-2013, 08:53 PM
card reads when this troop deals damage to an opposing champion, draw a card

edit, someone beat me to it lol

BlindMan
05-29-2013, 08:53 PM
The inspire effect is added to the text of the card that is coming into play. The wording is a little drawn out, but the main subject of the sentence is 'another troop'.

TheProphet
05-29-2013, 08:55 PM
following the english language the card entering play after the mirror knight gets the ability . its simple yes or no. no need to be yasi about it .

Lazybum
The inspire effect is added to the text of the card that is coming into play. The wording is a little drawn out, but the main subject of the sentence is 'another troop'.

good thing about it all being digital it really will be added to the other card

Talreth
Okay so what might be confusing about the wording of the card is the grammatical structure of the sentence, specifically which instance of "troop" is the antecedent for "it." Since "with cost equal to or greater than this troop's cost" is a qualifier, the it is referring to "as another troop...enters play." Also you can just reference other inspire cards and figure it out that way.

Lazybum
05-29-2013, 08:56 PM
following the english language the card entering play after the mirror knight gets the ability . its simple yes or no. no need to be yasi about it .

yes if the troop entering play has a cost 3 or higher , no if it is 2 or less

Dallas
05-29-2013, 08:58 PM
"it" might not be proper English because you switched the subject from another troop to mirror knight before "it" was used? I know what it means and the inspire mechanic has been explained so its obvious to me that its the other creature. Probably going to need the grammar police to chime in on this one.

Talreth
05-29-2013, 09:02 PM
"it" might not be proper English because you switched the subject from another troop to mirror knight before "it" was used? I know what it means and the inspire mechanic has been explained so its obvious to me that its the other creature. Probably going to need the grammar police to chime in on this one.

Not super well versed in grammar but I'm pretty sure that the section of text that refers to the mirror knight is the qualifier for the main subject, and thus the it is referencing the subject not the qualifier.

TheProphet
05-29-2013, 09:06 PM
doesnt matter i felt at the time of reading it to not be clear.

please delete thread

TheWackyWombat
05-30-2013, 06:33 AM
Honestly, I don't think inspired is well worded either. They could probably cut down on any confusion by changing 'it' to either 'that troop' or 'this troop'.

Parallax
05-30-2013, 06:53 AM
I think this shows what could be a useful feature unique to digital cards. A settings toggle for keywords that either displays long but unambiguous rule text, or just the keyword and any modifiers for people who are already familiar with the keyword.

alpha5099
05-30-2013, 06:59 AM
It is a bit wordy, and hopefully they'll clean up the wording if they need to. But one advantage of the digital format is that there won't be inconsistent rules for a card that might seem ambiguous. In a RL TCG, someone could play Inspire backwards, and their opponent might agree with their interpretation or not catch the mistake, and that's how the game would work for them. Here, the computer imposes the proper rules of Inspire.

TheProphet
05-30-2013, 07:07 AM
awesome! thanks guys for saying somthing , i thought the forum was just full of trolls and was considering not playing as the PvE will require team work and trading. it would be like playing call of duty with 14 kids telling fart jokes being xbox tough guys.