PDA

View Full Version : Wooohooo, Thanks Cory... You make me feel like a KING!!

PowderedToastMan
05-29-2013, 10:33 PM
Hey all,

Just saved up the last of my dough and sponsored though the King Tier, would like to do more but you have to stay within your means right?

Thanks to Cory and the whole Crew for Creating such an amazing project and letting us old folks (40) not have to feel silly going into the game shops to play against kids in there teens.

Cheers,
Billy (Happy Backer)

Gwaer
05-29-2013, 10:34 PM
I'm going to Co-opt your very sweet post to say. We will officially have met our tablet goal for tomorrows update! Good job everyone, especially the guy that started this thread! Cause it's his thread!

PowderedToastMan
05-29-2013, 10:39 PM
Woooots, with such an awesome pre-empt post to allow you to follow up in the style you did, perhaps I could get a T-shirt? :P you have to try right?

In all Seriousness thats Awesome!

:)

dogmod
05-29-2013, 10:41 PM
I'm going to Co-opt your very sweet post to say. We will officially have met our tablet goal for tomorrows update! Good job everyone, especially the guy that started this thread! Cause it's his thread!

er how do you know? We haven't reached the last paypal # + kickstarter yet...

PkkFrank
05-29-2013, 10:45 PM
Yeah man! i became a KING today also! it feels good. Thanks cory!

wallofomens
05-29-2013, 10:45 PM
er how do you know? We haven't reached the last paypal # + kickstarter yet...

Well current kickstarter amount + paypal ammount(unupdated) is just 15k short. Updated paypal amount + whatever we get on kickstarter until next update should surely be enough to reach the goal.

dogmod
05-29-2013, 10:51 PM
Well current kickstarter amount + paypal ammount(unupdated) is just 15k short. Updated paypal amount + whatever we get on kickstarter until next update should surely be enough to reach the goal.

I have us only about 3-4k short when adding paypal + kickstarter... still not official though :O)

Grissnap
05-29-2013, 10:56 PM
I know how you feel, though not old, I tried to play Yu-Gi-Oh when it was first released while I was in college. The oldest players were in middle school. The worst part was I had only so much money, but all the kids must have had massive allowances as I would frequently get my but kicked.

I still may not win, but at least I can keep my dignity! :p

PowderedToastMan
05-29-2013, 11:08 PM
Wall.... Loving your Youtube stuff man, keep em coming and THANKS!

whythelastman
05-29-2013, 11:36 PM
OP, fantastic username! I'm turning 30 this year and relish the opportunity to join a TCG community without having to enter said shops and feeling out of place. I felt out of place in-person years ago (MTG, Heroclix, Yu-Gi-Oh!) but I have a feeling the Hex online community will quickly feel like home.

traeki
05-29-2013, 11:45 PM
Are we clinging tenaciously to my Spectral Lotus?

PowderedToastMan
05-30-2013, 12:01 AM
LOL indeed we are and my Hyper-Corrosive Crutons are ready for ACTION! :P

PowderedToastMan
05-30-2013, 12:03 AM
Thanks man, lol I its been my normal name for pretty much everything since i can remember, I know just how you feel and I agree this community just feels Right!

Ashenor
05-30-2013, 12:04 AM
Nice! Get a t shirt to celebrate also!

Rapkannibale
05-30-2013, 01:04 AM
Well done! And as a 32 year old I know how you feel about not having to play against teens in the the game stores anymore. :)

Ashenor
05-30-2013, 05:11 AM
I am 38 btw ;)

hexinggems
05-30-2013, 06:14 AM
Another older gamer (38) checking in! We need to form a 30+ guild or something :)

jai151
05-30-2013, 06:15 AM
Another older gamer (38) checking in! We need to form a 30+ guild or something :)

There was a "Who are you" thread a while back. I think the average age of people reporting in was right around 30. 32 here.

Tinuvas
05-30-2013, 06:23 AM
You know, it's not as often as it used to be that I can be not-the-older-guy in the crowd (36 and counting)! Thank you VERY much for that chance :)

PowderedToastMan
05-30-2013, 06:44 AM
Geeeeeeeeeeeeee, you are welcome Tinuvas. I think...... :)

Temig
05-30-2013, 07:17 AM
There was a "Who are you" thread a while back. I think the average age of people reporting in was right around 30. 32 here.

I'm not all that surprised (as a 30 year old myself), because a wonderful thing has been happening. The age of those who grew up gaming is getting up there, AND many of us have jobs with disposable income. It's the reason many of these Kickstarters lately have backers at some relatively high levels of monetary support (see the higher tiers/multi-backers here, the recent Artisan Dice Kickstarter, the fact that a company like Geek Chic can exist, etc.). It's a wonderful time for us all!

jai151
05-30-2013, 07:28 AM
I'm not all that surprised (as a 30 year old myself), because a wonderful thing has been happening. The age of those who grew up gaming is getting up there, AND many of us have jobs with disposable income. It's the reason many of these Kickstarters lately have backers at some relatively high levels of monetary support (see the higher tiers/multi-backers here, the recent Artisan Dice Kickstarter, the fact that a company like Geek Chic can exist, etc.). It's a wonderful time for us all!

And the Geek shall inherit the Earth!

Being the classic outsider growing up, it's just been amazing to watch the world change. We grew up with video games and TCGs and the like, and in turn they grew up with us. And somehow we went from outsiders to insiders.

cronedog
05-30-2013, 08:07 AM
Hey all,

Just saved up the last of my dough and sponsored though the King Tier, would like to do more but you have to stay within your means right?

Thanks to Cory and the whole Crew for Creating such an amazing project and letting us old folks (40) not have to feel silly going into the game shops to play against kids in there teens.

Cheers,
Billy (Happy Backer)

I started card flopping when I was in the 4rd grade. Going to state level star wars and lord of the rings tournaments and stomping people with unlimited funds helped mold my thinking methods. I'm 27 now, a little younger then the people in this thread, but I know better than to underestimate the skills of the younger generation.

Temig
05-30-2013, 08:16 AM
I started card flopping when I was in the 4rd grade. Going to state level star wars and lord of the rings tournaments and stomping people with unlimited funds helped mold my thinking methods. I'm 27 now, a little younger then the people in this thread, but I know better than to underestimate the skills of the younger generation.

I'm sure most of us are more than willing to admit/accept that there are plenty of kids who are, indeed, great. And a number of them play the game with respect, too. That being said, a 30 year old man sitting down at the table with a 10 year old kid can't help but feel a little bit out of place. Take the same two players and distance them by playing digitally and it just seems to sit better. Unfortunately, the same distancing also allows for the anonymity to take whatever respect a player would normally show in a face-to-face game and flush it down the toilet which I'm REALLY hoping doesn't happen, but am certain it's an inevitability in some cases.

BenRGamer
05-30-2013, 09:22 AM
I'm sure most of us are more than willing to admit/accept that there are plenty of kids who are, indeed, great. And a number of them play the game with respect, too. That being said, a 30 year old man sitting down at the table with a 10 year old kid can't help but feel a little bit out of place. Take the same two players and distance them by playing digitally and it just seems to sit better. Unfortunately, the same distancing also allows for the anonymity to take whatever respect a player would normally show in a face-to-face game and flush it down the toilet which I'm REALLY hoping doesn't happen, but am certain it's an inevitability in some cases.

Ah, gotta love the GIFT (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19). People will trash talk over the stupidest and smallest of things on the internet.

I'm 25, myself, I don't live anywhere near a gameshop, so my last card game experience, other than DotP, was way back in High School.

whythelastman
05-30-2013, 04:15 PM
On a related note, taken from the Gamasutra article (http://gamasutra.com/blogs/ZoranCunningham/20130530/193030/Cryptozoic_Entertainment_on_designing_HEX_the_worl ds_first_digital_MMOTCG.php):

Cory: We also know there are a lot of older players who feel they have aged out of physical TCGs because they don't have a good way to engage in the hobby since they have full-time careers and families. They need to be lucky enough to have a local hobby store or somehow logistically coordinate a group of people at a specific time and place to play. HEX will give them a chance to jump back in and play a genre they love by logging in and knowing they can find a quick match or enjoy the PvE mode whenever and for however long they want. Availability is the biggest hurdle for trading card games and I believe we've solved that conundrum with HEX.