PDA

View Full Version : My final stretch goal request (Sealed)

Swordmage
05-30-2013, 08:18 AM
TL;DR - I would absolutely love for them to introduce an On-Demand 5-pack sealed deck format. With the boosters I would get, that would be a guaranteed additional $33 from me. Minimum.

I'm a King backer and an old hand at MtG. I tried to get onto the Pro Tour for a few years, and had a pair of disappointing 9th place PTQ finishes. I gave up in frustration, but fell back in love with the game some time later thanks to deckbuilding with all of the masses of cards I had left from limited formats.

Drafting is fun, but it tends to attract the "gaming...srs business" crowd. That's not so much me anymore. One of the big things about Hex that draws me to it is the PvE with my friends, and with the huge mass of mercenaries and champions available I know I'm going to want to build many, many different kinds of decks and try them all.

Draft gives you the potential core of a high level PvP deck, but not so much all of the 'fun' decks with weird synergies due to passing on interesting things for more solid functional cards that would never be used outside of draft (Generic 4/3 fliers for 5, etc.). I look forward to a head games deck, for example.

I would like to keep the 167(?) or so boosters I'm getting because I'd like to have the solid bases for many different decks and not lose some 3rd or 4th copies of cards that I have to pass on in draft just to take a better pick. I think sealed would be a great way to get some competitive play for those who are bigger into the deckbuilding aspect than high-level competition. Seems a better option than 'Keep Your Pack' drafts, imho.

I know sealed has a fair bit in the way of problems, but I think it would be a great addition to the game.

I'd love to see some pros/cons for this and see if any others share my desire.

Mugaaz
05-30-2013, 08:20 AM
I have almost no doubt sealed is already in.

jai151
05-30-2013, 08:21 AM
I'd love to see some sealed in the game. More formats, more fun!

FireSummoner
05-30-2013, 08:22 AM
The tournament page lists sealed as one of the daily tournaments. So you should be good.

http://hextcg.com/game/tournaments/

Swordmage
05-30-2013, 08:22 AM
I've seen sealed as a "Daily Tournament" possibility. However, I would like it to be On-Demand. I will edit my post to reflect this. As I am on CET and live in France, I wouldn't be able to wait until 2AM or whatever to begin a tournament just once a day or so. I would also like to bust my packs ASAP for PvE deckbuilding with my friends, and I wouldn't want to have to wait a month to finally plow through a 1-a-day tournament to bust all of them. I'd like a frenzy of sealed at every expansion release, and then lay off for a while.

RobHaven
05-30-2013, 08:23 AM
I was also hoping to see a sealed format, but I don't think it needs to be involved as a stretch goal.

I was under the impression that not only would a large number of tournament formats [eventually] be available, but we'd also have the ability to create our own tournaments (and dictate their structure).

Swordmage
05-30-2013, 08:24 AM
While create-a-tourney idea is fun, I'd like to see actual (non-provided-by-me) prize support.

FireSummoner
05-30-2013, 08:26 AM
Daily Tournaments happen every 4 hours. I assume part of the wait will be just finding people and prizes go to anyone who has at least 2 wins.

Edit: Sorry, I thought each of the dailies happened every 4 hours but it looks like they switch up each format. I do think that they want to add custom leagues which might work, but I don't know about prize support.

Tyrfang
05-30-2013, 08:27 AM
"Daily Scheduled Tournaments happen every 4 hours on the hour throughout the day. The tournaments are always 4 rounds and award prizes to those who win 2 or more matches. The tournament formats vary: we’ll offer Sealed Pack, Constructed, and other wacky formats."

IMO, tournaments aren't fun "on demand" because the group of players is too small. Maybe if the demand is high enough on the daily scheduled tournaments, they will have 128-player queues for tournaments, but realistically, at that point they are large enough that it would literally take 2-3 hours to get through all the games anyway.

That said, there's something similar that already caters to what you want:
"Marathon Tournaments
This is like league play on steroids. Players will sign up for this sealed deck tournament and play as many games as they can within a 6 hour period. We’ll allow entries into the tournament at any time while it runs. As a catch up mechanic and to keep things interesting, we’ll let players buy an additional booster after each hour passes while the tournament runs.
We will track players’ total games and their number of wins. The win-loss differential is what we’ll use to track standings in real time. The tiebreaker is the total number of games played. After 6 hours the top 40% of players get prizes. There are 4 tiers for prizes: Top 1% of the players, 2%-5% of the players, 6%-15% of the players and 16%-40% of the players."

Swordmage
05-30-2013, 08:31 AM
The Marathon Tournament seems like something I would be extremely enthused about. I just hope that they're implemented close to launch so that I can use my mass of boosters on them!

jaxsonbateman
05-30-2013, 08:49 AM
When you talk about 3rd or 4th copies of cards, it sounds like you're referencing commons and uncommons.

If that's the case, if it's anything like Magic, they'll be so abundant that one way or another you'll be able to get them for peanuts. I get many contributions to my common/uncommon playsets in Magic by asking players after drafts if they don't want the commons/uncommons they got. A lot of them don't.

MrCwis
05-30-2013, 08:54 AM
I would also like to see sealed play being a bigger thing, if they had offered a weekly sealed version of the PP tier, i would much rather have that over a weekly draft. that's just my preferance though. Maybe the player base grows they'll do sealed tournaments more often.

Swordmage
05-30-2013, 08:56 AM
I used to do that. Of my 12,000 or so card MtG collection, more than 50% of it is Onslaught block. I drafted so much I had 30 of every common it seemed, and I would dump them to the casual players because it's not like I needed them. A bit harder to do that with 10k people or whatever online in a chatroom than with a group of 16 or so you're sharing a room with :P

Swordmage
05-30-2013, 08:56 AM
I would also like to see sealed play being a bigger thing, if they had offered a weekly sealed version of the PP tier, i would much rather have that over a weekly draft. that's just my preferance though. Maybe the player base grows they'll do sealed tournaments more often.

I would back a $300 weekly free sealed so fast...

Tyrfang
05-30-2013, 09:01 AM
To be comparable to the draft, it would have to be around $500, as you get 6 packs instead of 3.

jaxsonbateman
05-30-2013, 09:02 AM
I used to do that. Of my 12,000 or so card MtG collection, more than 50% of it is Onslaught block. I drafted so much I had 30 of every common it seemed, and I would dump them to the casual players because it's not like I needed them. A bit harder to do that with 10k people or whatever online in a chatroom than with a group of 16 or so you're sharing a room with :P
Yeah, but with the commons and most of the uncommons they'll probably go up on the auction house for pittances. ;-) You might get some of the top uncommons having a small pricetag, but it won't be anything near the price of the rares and legendaries, and those are probably draft-pick-worthy uncommons anyway. ^^

Swordmage
05-30-2013, 09:03 AM
Yeah, but with the commons and most of the uncommons they'll probably go up on the auction house for pittances. ;-) You might get some of the top uncommons having a small pricetag, but it won't be anything near the price of the rares and legendaries, and those are probably draft-pick-worthy uncommons anyway. ^^

I...do see that, actually. Very good point. I used to live in fear of opening bomb rares in drafts that I couldn't in good conscience take because they weren't great for limited, but...

To be comparable to the draft, it would have to be around $500, as you get 6 packs instead of 3.

5-packs is usually the standard, so maybe $400 would be reasonable...

Cotton
05-30-2013, 09:17 AM
It's 6 packs in mtg

Swordmage
05-30-2013, 09:19 AM
Hm. I'm still used to using Tournament pack +2.

BenRGamer
05-30-2013, 09:53 AM
"Marathon Tournaments
This is like league play on steroids. Players will sign up for this sealed deck tournament and play as many games as they can within a 6 hour period. We’ll allow entries into the tournament at any time while it runs. As a catch up mechanic and to keep things interesting, we’ll let players buy an additional booster after each hour passes while the tournament runs.
We will track players’ total games and their number of wins. The win-loss differential is what we’ll use to track standings in real time. The tiebreaker is the total number of games played. After 6 hours the top 40% of players get prizes. There are 4 tiers for prizes: Top 1% of the players, 2%-5% of the players, 6%-15% of the players and 16%-40% of the players."

How do they stop people from just... stopping with a 100% win ratio if they win their first match?

Tyrfang
05-30-2013, 09:54 AM
How do they stop people from just... stopping with a 100% win ratio if they win their first match?

Players are ranked by (Win - loss), not (win / loss).
A player with 2 wins and 1 loss will be ranked higher than a player with 1 win and 0 losses.

Swordmage
05-30-2013, 10:00 AM
It seems that with the Marathon format, it would overly encourage aggro building. Win trading wouldn't rinse out in the long term, so you couldn't just concede and be conceded to to get a higher number of matches. I've had some control-ish limited decks where I went up against the time limit every time. Someone with a rapid beatdown deck could play 20 matches to my 10, and even if they had 50% win and I had 100% win, we'd still be tied. I wonder if they'll put an upper limit on number of matches possible to play?

Madican
05-30-2013, 10:04 AM
So what is sealed and how does it differ from normal draft?

Swordmage
05-30-2013, 10:08 AM
(Apparently) 6 packs opened all at once, and that is your card pool to build a 40 card deck from. No choice, and a bit of random chance leading to bomb rare imbalances, but it tests your skill at deck building with a limited pool instead of your ability to draft a deck.

Tyrfang
05-30-2013, 10:14 AM
It seems that with the Marathon format, it would overly encourage aggro building. Win trading wouldn't rinse out in the long term, so you couldn't just concede and be conceded to to get a higher number of matches. I've had some control-ish limited decks where I went up against the time limit every time. Someone with a rapid beatdown deck could play 20 matches to my 10, and even if they had 50% win and I had 100% win, we'd still be tied. I wonder if they'll put an upper limit on number of matches possible to play?

Marathon encourages fast play over slow play, but that's the nature of a timed event.

Payout rate is based on player ranking tiers, so your example would only matter in cases of it being on the cusp between two tiers.

Swordmage
05-30-2013, 10:19 AM
I assume marathon tourneys would be with pools of 250 or more players all going at it at once, so I'm not terribly worried about it. I would like to see some small penalty for losing maybe, to avoid aggro decks that concede the second their first two turns don't go just ridiculous well. With such a huge pool of players, it would be rare to come up against the same player twice without measures to ensure it, and if you manage to even generate two wins by repeat dropping for good opening hands, then you've given about 6 or 7 people +1 win and yourself +2, putting you with a good chance and climbing in the standings.

Tyrfang
05-30-2013, 10:21 AM
With such a huge pool of players, it would be rare to come up against the same player twice without measures to ensure it, and if you manage to even generate two wins by repeat dropping for good opening hands, then you've given about 6 or 7 people +1 win and yourself +2, putting you with a good chance and climbing in the standings.

Huh...?
Wins minus losses.
Give 6-7 people wins -> you get 6-7 losses.
Gain 2 wins.
You went down 5 wins over losses.

Swordmage
05-30-2013, 10:32 AM
Ah, my mistake, I interpreted Wins-Losses as in terms of "Oh, I'm 22-10 for the day" not "I'm at 22-10, so I have 12 points aggregate."

Tyrfang
05-30-2013, 10:37 AM
Ah, my mistake, I interpreted Wins-Losses as in terms of "Oh, I'm 22-10 for the day" not "I'm at 22-10, so I have 12 points aggregate."

Yeah, we all get brain farts from time-to-time.

Especially strange because you seem to have understood it in your first example:

Someone with a rapid beatdown deck could play 20 matches to my 10, and even if they had 50% win and I had 100% win, we'd still be tied. I wonder if they'll put an upper limit on number of matches possible to play?

Swordmage
05-30-2013, 10:50 AM
Ah, that was pure coincidence that the numbers matched up! But wouldn't my example be 10-10 vs. 10-0? leaving the aggro 50% win at 0 aggregate points versus my 10 aggregate points? Leaving us tied under no circumstances?

Tyrfang
05-30-2013, 10:51 AM
Whoops, I mentally read "play 20 matches" as "win 20 matches".

Swordmage
05-30-2013, 10:54 AM
In any case, praying for daily marathons launch! (A fella can dream...)