View Full Version : New Database Layout

Kemical
05-30-2013, 08:32 AM
Hi everyone,

I've designed a new layout for Hex DB which should load faster:
hex.potion-of-wit.com/cards.php

The current one:
hex.potion-of-wit.com/

please let me know which one you prefer and i will keep this one.

Brumby66
05-30-2013, 08:40 AM
I like the new one, but you'll need to change the color of the text of the cards' effects. Gray on black isn't showing up too well. Thanks for doing this.

Tyrfang
05-30-2013, 08:45 AM
Yeah, I agree that the text is hard to read.

Kemical
05-30-2013, 08:50 AM
Oh, it was on purpose (was to increase the readibility of the card you roll over), but i guess i've missed my effect ^^
I've put a grey slighty brighter, let me know if it's better now.

MatWith1T
05-30-2013, 08:51 AM
Like the new layout a lot.

Something to consider for down the road when there is a more complete database of cards... filters by Keywords and/or Race

Kemical
05-30-2013, 08:54 AM
@MatWidth1T: thanks ^^ currently in search, if you type a race, you'll get all cards whith this race AND cards with the race in game text (same for keywords)

Indormi
05-30-2013, 08:56 AM
Maybe I'm completly blind, but I dont know how to distinguish PvE cards from PvP on the new layout without clickin on them

Brumby66
05-30-2013, 08:59 AM
Oh, it was on purpose (was to increase the readibility of the card you roll over), but i guess i've missed my effect ^^
I've put a grey slighty brighter, let me know if it's better now.

I'm on my phone. I can't mouse over lol. I think just having the gold text would be better instead of the gray to gold on mouse over. It could just be me though.

Avaian
05-30-2013, 09:00 AM
I like the new layout! I do think there should be a way to distinguish cards between pvE and PvP.

Kemical
05-30-2013, 09:02 AM
@Indormi: you're right, i will add faction and pve icons on the card row soon if people prefer this one.

@Brumby66 : I will add dedicated layout for mobile and tablet ^^ (but i've made the text a little bit brighter, if you don't see it maybe maybe it's because of your browser cache, should be updated soon)

Tyrfang
I would like a SLIGHTLY larger thumbnail for the card art, but otherwise, I like it better than the old format.

Good work.

MatWith1T
@MatWidth1T: thanks ^^ currently in search, if you type a race, you'll get all cards whith this race AND cards with the race in game text (same for keywords)

Does the search function let us use AND/OR/NOT booleans? ie, find cards that have Inspire OR Crush? or Humans with Lifedrain?

Obviously, the more filters you add in, the more the top gets cluttered, but as the DB develops, might be worth adding an 'Advanced Search' tab (and some tastefully placed ads to make it worth your time and effort... just sayin)

Kemical
05-30-2013, 09:16 AM
@MatWith1T : AND/OR/Not will be in a advanced panel as well as "between" values for cost/threshold/atk/def etc...
I will maybe put some ads on empty spaces, but it's not my priority, content first! ^^

BossHoss
05-30-2013, 09:23 AM
Like the new one...

would love to see the equipment easier for quick deck building reference

Voices
05-30-2013, 09:32 AM
Great job again Kemical! A question: Is it possible to have certain words clickable? Take for instance Cruel Webcrawler. The text on that card is "When this troop deals damage to an opposing champion, create a Spiderspawn". Now on the actual card, Spiderspawn is in bold. Am thinking it would be cool if you could either click on that word or just mouse over it and a the Spiderspawn card would pop up. Hope that makes sense :)

Kemical
05-30-2013, 09:44 AM
Yeah Voices, i will parse text for words (skills will be tooltip, and cards will be clickable ^^)

Mushroom_C1oud
05-30-2013, 10:28 AM
It looks great Kemical, I have your database open practically 24/7.

Kemical
05-30-2013, 10:44 AM
I've pushed the new layout on the website, i've also put a small message so everyone can still access old layout and tell here if there is something wrong with the new one.

@Mushroom_C1oud: Love to hear that, thanks! :)

611128here
05-30-2013, 10:46 AM
Hello Kemical,

Thank you so much for creating this card database for the HexTCG community! I really like the whole design and how fluid it is. I'll be sure to use it whenever I get the chance!

Evesgallion
05-30-2013, 04:47 PM
You should implement it on the deck building portion as well because with the current layout for cards quickly viewing if a card is PvE or PvP is a pain unless I want to stretch out the independent cards via clicking on them.

Lazybum
05-30-2013, 04:51 PM
i really like the old format, i enjoy looking at the actual card, so i hope you have an option for both

Gorgol
05-30-2013, 04:51 PM
This is looking awesome!

Jaydawg6958
05-30-2013, 04:57 PM
Old one looks better, I like to see the actual card.

TheProphet
05-30-2013, 05:29 PM
Looks great, thanks

MugenMusou
05-30-2013, 10:39 PM
I wonder if you could add an option to turn off all selected items at once.

Skirovik
05-30-2013, 10:48 PM
I've pushed the new layout on the website, i've also put a small message so everyone can still access old layout and tell here if there is something wrong with the new one.

Does this mean that hex.potion-of-wit.com/ now has the new layout?

Cheers.

SamCube
05-30-2013, 11:51 PM
Awesome work! Thanks so much for this!!

FranzVonG
05-31-2013, 01:09 AM
I like it, some comments:

- I would change how you show the rarity of the card. Card name should be in the color of the card itself, not the rarity. Adding a rarity icon should make easier to differentiate the different colours.
- Add the expansion icon (yes, we have only one for now, but better to take this into consideration from the beginning)
- PVE icon

Well done, this website will be invaluable ;)

Kemical
05-31-2013, 01:10 AM
Since some people prefer the old layout, i'll try to keep them both (but the new one should be the default one).
The home page will maybe be a landing page to help people chosing the right way to list cards since there are 2 main population:
- Casual people who like to see cards, without really focusing on one particular data.
- Hardcore theorycrafter who will need heavy filtering with tons of data.

I can't answer one of these categories without upsetting the other one, except with a dual layout. I'll try to stick to this concept as far as i can.

madar
05-31-2013, 01:40 AM
hello Kem, i think better the new one
if i click to the General's Tent, the picture not showing. Neither in the old, nor in the new. If i click on the icon on the corner, it's work.

Jarric
05-31-2013, 02:08 AM
I would love to see in the gear section a way of filtering the cards by color as well as gear type. So if I am building a Mono Blood deck and I need a Head piece card I can look that way.

Lunarath
05-31-2013, 02:18 AM
I don't know if you plan to do this, but having the option to save the deck on the site and share, vote and comment would be a cool option. Thinking something like http://www.mmdoc.net/decks/ altho from what i have seen of your work so far i expect it done in a much better way with a much better layout ^^

Keep up the great work

FranzVonG
05-31-2013, 02:38 AM
A deckbuilder would be great. You will need a login and account management, maybe not such an easy task

Kemical
05-31-2013, 03:17 AM
@madar: thanks for reporting, should be fixed now ^^

@Lunarath/FranzVonG: There is already a small sample of the deck building tool in the "Deck" section, you can add card to a selection which will generate a unique URL that you can share. I will also add a login screen to save deck in database, save comments etc... (maybe this week end). The deck building section should be skinned today to match the new layout

@Jaric: I'm still thinking about useful tools for gear, but since its quite new in TCG, i take some time to make the best data structure i can (filtering will come afterward)

Dratzl
05-31-2013, 08:57 AM
Site is looking good!
Those thumbnails would make some awesome hex-forum-avatars :rolleyes:
Just about the right size