PDA

View Full Version : Update #22

BlindMan
05-30-2013, 12:49 PM
ALPHA ACCESS STRETCH GOAL!

Discuss.

ForgedSol
05-30-2013, 12:50 PM
Awesome. Also looking forward to a novel.

Nthanel
Meh

Jacklau89
OMG! Is that the word ALPHA they are using!?

Madican
05-30-2013, 12:52 PM
Interesting, I was expecting red for the Underworld color, but not orange for Ardent (was expecting blue since that seems to be the traditional pairing).

Also, alpha access? Let's go people, hustle up those pledges!

Tathel
05-30-2013, 12:54 PM
Who do you think the writer will be?

I'd love if it was Brandon Sanderson, he's a MTG player so I could see him liking a game like this, but i'm pretty sure he's more than too busy with his own books

ForgedSol
05-30-2013, 12:55 PM
Oh yeah, those shirts look pretty cool. I'd love to have different colors, but the icons are designed well.

MatWith1T
05-30-2013, 12:55 PM

George RR Martin - the book won't be finished until approximately 2029. :)

Madican
05-30-2013, 12:56 PM
If it's Brandon Sanderson I will squeal like a little fangirl. I love his work so much.

A possible Mistborn card tribute would be awesome to go along with the novel.

Sergan
05-30-2013, 12:56 PM
Alpha access and name/guild reserve.
Interesting.

ForgedSol
05-30-2013, 12:57 PM

I'd love if it was Brandon Sanderson, he's a MTG player so I could see him liking a game like this, but i'm pretty sure he's more than too busy with his own books

Are you kidding? When Brandon Sanderson wants to take a break from writing his books... he writes more books. =P

That'd be great, but I doubt it... on the other hand he did write the Infinity Blade novel.

Madican
05-30-2013, 12:58 PM
Could be Christie Golden, she's done game novels before.

Lochar
05-30-2013, 01:01 PM
Are you kidding? When Brandon Sanderson wants to take a break from writing his books... he writes more books. =P

That'd be great, but I doubt it... on the other hand he did write the Infinity Blade novel.

No, when he takes a break from writing his books he writes Wheel of Time books. :P

houjix
05-30-2013, 01:02 PM
Please no mega-happy ending though.

Tathel
05-30-2013, 01:02 PM
We can not afford not to reach this stretch goal, whether it's alpha access or the novel that interests you! Way more exciting than tablet support IMO ^_^

Hatts
05-30-2013, 01:05 PM

Actually Brandon would be a good pick, he is incredibly prolific and could tackle it as a side project pretty easily. He's also done video game novels before (Infinity Blade.)

Patrick Rothfuss or GRRM wouldn't be able to finish in time ;)

Madican
05-30-2013, 01:08 PM
Please no mega-happy ending though.

Sanderson's mega-happy endings are A-ok because they involve every other part of the book being major downers. Especially Warbreaker's conclusion. Dammit I LIKED THAT GUY.

Tyrfang
05-30-2013, 01:09 PM
Sanderson would be nice.

Nthanel
05-30-2013, 01:09 PM
I dont understand the excitement. Im not buying any books based on a card game no matter who writes them. And as far as Alpha access, I dont see it as that great either. So we get to play with more bugs? woo!

ForgedSol
05-30-2013, 01:10 PM
Sanderson's mega-happy endings are A-ok because they involve every other part of the book being major downers. Especially Warbreaker's conclusion. Dammit I LIKED THAT GUY.

PSA: The narrator for the Warbreaker audiobook ruined it for me. I think I would have enjoyed the book more simply reading it. And the book free if you haven't read it. (The narrators for the Mistborn books and Way of Kings are fantastic. Elantris narrator isn't horrible, not great.)

Gwuenhar
05-30-2013, 01:12 PM
uuuu back more ;D alpha access would be epic =)

Barov
05-30-2013, 01:12 PM
Hate to be a cynic but with $300k to go in 7 days, with how much it has slow downed, I doubt we will reach this goal.

ForgedSol
05-30-2013, 01:13 PM
Hate to be a cynic but with $300k to go in 7 days, with how much it has slow downed, I doubt we will reach this goal.

Don't forget shirt sales. That could make up a lot.

Vibraxus
05-30-2013, 01:14 PM

Salvatore. Can you say Drizzt card? lol

Madican
I only read books, since it's better for analyzing. Also keep in mind Elantris was his very first published novel and it was good enough to lock him in to finish the WoT series.

Mistborn I loved, Warbreaker I loved, Way of Kings is my absolute favorite novel, and I'm waiting with bated breath for Words of Radiance and Steelheart. He makes the characters, the magic systems, and even the politics of the worlds super-interesting to read.

dogmod

correction... 275k with a little bit under 8 days to go... even if it stayed at its low of 25k+2-3k for paypal we would only be about 50-60k short... And as we have seen the past few days it has ramped back up and we are going to have late kickstarter push.. Show us the next goal :)

ForgedSol
05-30-2013, 01:15 PM
Well to be fair Elantris was his very first published novel, though it was good enough to lock him in to finish the WoT series.

Mistborn I loved, Warbreaker I loved, Way of Kings is my absolute favorite novel, and I'm waiting with bated breath for Words of Radiance and Steelheart. I forgive the narration mostly because he makes the characters, the magic systems, and even the politics of the worlds super-interesting to read.

Oh, I was referring to the narrator as meaning the person who reads the audiobooks. (I usually read books first then listen to them on "re-reads" usually during a commute or at the gym.)

houjix
05-30-2013, 01:15 PM

Don't know whether that was Jordan's original idea for an ending in WoT or Sanderson's and Jordan's wife's idea, but what a let down. We're talking Seinfeldian last episode let down.

Madican
05-30-2013, 01:16 PM
Yeah I just got that and edited my post as you posted. Whoops!

Still want Sanderson. Can't state that enough.

nearlysober
05-30-2013, 01:17 PM
I'm glad they're not adding more scope with this next (and hopefully remaining) goals.

I'd rather have the game be polished, perfected & on-time... with a nice backlog of coming features, than try to cram everything in and get it all half-right.

You only get to make a 1st impression once. This game needs to shine at launch.

Madican
05-30-2013, 01:17 PM
Don't know whether that was Jordan's original idea for an ending in WoT or Sanderson's and Jordan's wife's idea, but what a let down. We're talking Seinfeldian last episode let down.

Warbreaker isn't part of the WoT series. It's the one with Breath and colors as its magic system. Oh and yeah like someone else mentioned earlier in this thread, to everyone who wants to get a taste of Sanderson's work then Warbreaker is 100% free to read on his site here: http://www.brandonsanderson.com/book/warbreaker

Tyrfang
05-30-2013, 01:19 PM
I'm not sure why they ended WoT the way they did, but at least it ended.

houjix
05-30-2013, 01:28 PM
I'm not sure why they ended WoT the way they did, but at least it ended.

I have this feeling we'll be saying the same about Game of Thrones in 5-10 years.

Tyrfang
05-30-2013, 01:34 PM
I have this feeling we'll be saying the same about Game of Thrones in 5-10 years.

Just so long as the old gods don't magically appear and then defeat the White Walkers.

DeusPhasmatis
05-30-2013, 01:39 PM
Just so long as the old gods don't magically appear and then defeat the White Walkers.

Are you saying Azor Ahai isn't going to bring a couple friends on dragon-back and slaughter the ice zombie army with R'hllor's magical fire (after the ice zombies kill basically everyone in Westeros)? 'Cause I'm pretty sure that's how the story will end.

Stok3d
05-30-2013, 01:40 PM
I feel so out-of-touch here. The last time I read a book was for schooling and it wasn't in this millennium...

houjix
05-30-2013, 01:44 PM
Are you saying Azor Ahai isn't going to bring a couple friends on dragon-back and slaughter the ice zombie army with R'hllor's magical fire (after the ice zombies kill basically everyone in Westeros)? 'Cause I'm pretty sure that's how the story will end.

It's going to be dragons wiping them out. Who will be riding those dragons is the question that we probably know 2/3 of the answer to(Or maybe all of if internet speculation is to be believed). Or the whole thing is a Tyrion Lannister fever dream.

FireSummoner
05-30-2013, 01:45 PM
I feel so out-of-touch here. The last time I read a book was for schooling and it wasn't in this millennium...

Wait you read books for school?

nearlysober
05-30-2013, 01:45 PM
I dont understand the excitement. Im not buying any books based on a card game no matter who writes them. And as far as Alpha access, I dont see it as that great either. So we get to play with more bugs? woo! We get to reserve our account names earlier.
We get to reserve guild names earlier.
We'll get to see all the cards, practice building decks, get familiar with the game that we're all excited for, BEFORE September.

I'm super excited about Alpha, even if it is buggy.

Stok3d
05-30-2013, 02:15 PM
Wait you read books for school?

They were small yellow books with black stripes called "Cliff's Notes". I actually read em as I ran to class.

Madican
05-30-2013, 02:18 PM
Bah, I maintain to this day that the books assigned for school are meant to induce hatred for reading. Screw your Red Badge of Courage, I'm gonna read Pegasus in Flight.

Lochar
05-30-2013, 02:21 PM
They were small yellow books with black stripes called "Cliff's Notes". I actually read em as I ran to class.

They're Cliff Notes. You're only supposed to glance through them or else you might actually learn something.

Tathel
05-30-2013, 02:22 PM
hmm i had some really good books assigned back in highschool
Lord of the flies, Animal Farm, A Clockwork orange, Handmaids Tale ^_^

EDIT: it just hits me that all those books are about societal breakdown... what was the Canadian education system trying to tell me!?

Fireblast
05-30-2013, 02:23 PM
Cory: We absolutely can and will do that. We can even take it one step further at live events like Gen Con or PAX where we can potentially host side tournaments and give away exclusive redeemable Mercenary cards for attendees. Other digital games have done this to great success in years past and there's no reason why we wouldn't do the same for our fans.

Great, gonna have to pay $50 on Ebay to get exclusive Merc from Gen Con / PAX !

Love it, or not...

What about you give Starters/Boosters to get people hooked up instead of screwing non US players

~

Lochar
05-30-2013, 02:23 PM
I see Heart of Darkness is not on there. That book will make you give up reading. "What is the meaning of this? And the submeaning to that? And the sub-sub-meaning?"

/me flips off teacher.

Talreth
05-30-2013, 02:24 PM
I see Heart of Darkness is not on there. That book will make you give up reading. "What is the meaning of this? And the submeaning to that? And the sub-sub-meaning?"

/me flips off teacher.

Having already given up on reading for class by the time this was assigned, I just made things up.

Tathel
05-30-2013, 02:26 PM
Books to never read = Gravity's Rainbow

Talreth
05-30-2013, 02:26 PM
Books to never read = Gravity's Rainbow

I'm going to add Great Expectations on that list

Lochar
05-30-2013, 02:28 PM
I'm going to add Great Expectations on that list

But I had such great expectations for that book.

Madican
05-30-2013, 02:34 PM

/me flips off teacher.

Ulysses + Hamlet in one semester is what triggered my descent into full-blown sarcasm for written reports. I even got sent to the school councilor because up to that point I'd just been another student trying to bullshit the page length. Then surprise surprise, this guy wasn't meek and docile at all and his personality did a 180 when pen touched paper.

I laugh at it now though because it was simultaneously the best essay I'd ever written and I didn't get into any trouble because the councilor loved it.

FireSummoner
05-30-2013, 02:35 PM

Man that's rough, they have most of that online now. Oh what damage was done having laptops in an English class. Also, don't do online multiple choice tests for a magnet school for computer science. They take it as a dare to break the system.

Showsni
05-30-2013, 02:53 PM
Salvatore. Can you say Drizzt card? lol

Heh, that was my guess too. Or maybe someone who writes M:tG books.

Madican
05-30-2013, 02:54 PM
No Salvatore please. Ever.

Boogaloo
05-30-2013, 06:16 PM
This may be a bit of an odd question considering the way that this thread has drifted, but had it been clarified what the 'Extra Set 2 booster packs for every player' part of this achievement actually means (maybe this was explained in a previous update or comment and I just didn't see it)?

Tathel
05-30-2013, 06:19 PM
It was mentioned in the initial announcement of the strech goal

Squire, Warrior:
1 Pack of Set 2

Captain, Knight
3 packs of Set 2

Champion, King
5 packs of Set 2

All levels above King
15 packs of Set 2

BohemianStalker
05-30-2013, 06:21 PM
No Salvatore please. Ever.

No Salvatore and no Knaak, these guys are like machines, there is no soul in it..maybe in the first Drizzt , there was but eh...
w40k got some nice autors - McNeill , Abnett..but that is no fantasy so Ill propably end up disappointed.

Lazybum
05-30-2013, 07:42 PM
havent read any of the mtg or wow books so doubt i will read this one unless it comes with some kind of AA code promo i doubt i will buy it, but i am excited to get my hands on the game sooner then later

ForgedSol
05-30-2013, 07:52 PM
The Brothers' War is the first and still the best MTG novel. Especially if you played early and were into Urza as a character. It works as a nice standalone or part of a four part series that is also pretty excellent. (The second book is the worst of the four, but the following two are great.)

Nthanel
05-30-2013, 08:28 PM
We get to reserve our account names earlier.
We get to reserve guild names earlier.
We'll get to see all the cards, practice building decks, get familiar with the game that we're all excited for, BEFORE September.

I'm super excited about Alpha, even if it is buggy.

Over all that Still seems super eh to me. It feels lazy and last minute, like they weren't expecting it.

Tyrfang
05-30-2013, 09:23 PM
Alpha's nice.

It's does more for me than motion comics.

Tinuvas
05-30-2013, 09:55 PM
The Brothers' War is the first and still the best MTG novel. Especially if you played early and were into Urza as a character. It works as a nice standalone or part of a four part series that is also pretty excellent. (The second book is the worst of the four, but the following two are great.)

Was Brother's War the one that really went into Urza and Mishra's background? That book seriously messed me up. Funny now, but wait until you hear...

When I read fantasy, I go deep. I become the character (extremely active and healthy imagination and all that). He does something stupid, I feel stupid etc. I'm also an EXTREMELY prolific reader. Never had to stop reading for nuthin!

So I've been married for about 2 years when I pick up this Magic book. Played the game for years, love the flavor text, excited as anything to get serious about the lore. Living in a 2 bedroom apartment with my wife and I in one bedroom, brother bunking in the other. No problem. Start reading.

Urza and Mishra have a close relationship as kids. What do you know, my brother and I had a close relationship as kids! I was so Urza, he so Mishra. I was social, he was quiet. etc. etc. Remember, I go deep when I read, and this story makes it easy. They fight and separate. I feel grumpy. My brother wouldn't do that, but I'm in deep and enjoying the story. Then, Urza's wife goes off and sleeps with Mishra. Yeah. Just like that.

My wife was away when I read that part. She comes back in the apartment and I say these words, "I know you have done absolutely nothing wrong, but I am really upset at you right now and I need a little space for awhile". I was...a liiiiitle upset. Yeah. It took me a week to wrap my brain around that one and settle down. We laugh about it now. I couldn't even finish the book.

Now a days, I don't go quite so deep. My daughter and I are both really excited to buy the book we spent money getting the author for. Couldn't be happier. My wife just rolls her eyes. It's a good life.

Tinuvas
05-30-2013, 09:56 PM
Over all that Still seems super eh to me. It feels lazy and last minute, like they weren't expecting it.

They have actually had more time to absorb the impact of the overwhelming success with this stretch goal than any of the others really. Bummer this stretch goal had nothing to offer you. It was a wild success for me. Book AND I can play early? Bring it!

PkkFrank
05-30-2013, 10:39 PM
I'll be looking forward to reading the book if we reach the goal , and ALPHA access , pretty awesome.

Boogaloo
05-30-2013, 11:58 PM
Thanks for the reference, I suspected that I had missed something, and that was apparently indeed the case!

Motjida
05-31-2013, 12:38 AM
If it's Brandon Sanderson I will squeal like a little fangirl. I love his work so much.

A possible Mistborn card tribute would be awesome to go along with the novel.

omg ^ this

Ryoma_Echizen
05-31-2013, 12:59 AM
Considering Brandon's MtG obsession there's no way he'd turn down a chance to write for Hex if asked. Especially if he gets a producer reward in addition to his payment. I'm sure he's the author they've picked.

Motjida
05-31-2013, 01:21 AM
Considering Brandon's MtG obsession there's no way he'd turn down a chance to write for Hex if asked. Especially if he gets a producer reward in addition to his payment. I'm sure he's the author they've picked.

I already sent him an email :D

Taurentipper
05-31-2013, 01:49 AM
Finally a stretch goal that is actually legendary 1.5mill was BS this is cool. I will top my King to guild master when i get home and then donate the leftover of my wages =)
Go people 1.8mill!

Any idea when Alfa will likely start?

Tyrfang
05-31-2013, 09:34 AM
I don't understand how Sanderson releases a novel/novella every 3-6 months.

Tathel
05-31-2013, 09:36 AM

He writes a lot about mortals becoming gods or as gods. My theory is this is all first hand experience and he is the god of writing ^_^

jai151
05-31-2013, 09:39 AM
He writes a lot about mortals becoming gods or as gods. My theory is this is all first hand experience and he is the god of writing ^_^

He has a muse chained up in his basement.

RanaDunes
05-31-2013, 09:40 AM
I don't know why I feel it's going to be Salvatore.

houjix
05-31-2013, 09:43 AM

When a lot of these authors works essentially follow the same script, it's like filling out mad lids. Change the protagonist, antagonist, world, insert plot twist, add fluff, hit print. That's one of the reasons I don't go all in on any one particular author as after a while everything by them is the same.

Tyrfang
05-31-2013, 10:07 AM
When a lot of these authors works essentially follow the same script, it's like filling out mad lids. Change the protagonist, antagonist, world, insert plot twist, add fluff, hit print. That's one of the reasons I don't go all in on any one particular author as after a while everything by them is the same.

IMO, his worlds, magic systems, and plot-lines are quite diverse.

That's why I find it more surprising that he can write at the pace he does.

Hatts
05-31-2013, 10:18 AM

I really don't think this can be said about Brandon's work, his stories are all very unique and are driven by the worlds (and magic systems) that he creates.

Saying Sanderson writes like madlibs is like saying Cryptozoic builds TCGs like madlibs. Change the source material, add colours, tweak the gameplay and then hit print and ship.

Talreth
05-31-2013, 10:18 AM
IMO, his worlds, magic systems, and plot-lines are quite diverse.

That's why I find it more surprising that he can write at the pace he does.

Well, there's always that one guy right? Who somehow exceeds our expectations

DeusPhasmatis
05-31-2013, 10:19 AM
Well, there's always that one guy right? Who somehow exceeds our expectations

At a sufficient level of abstraction, everything is the same.

Talreth
05-31-2013, 10:21 AM
At a sufficient level of abstraction, everything is the same.

Unless you think like Berekely and everything is distinct.

Tathel
05-31-2013, 10:45 AM
I think in Sanderson's work there are a lot of commonalities in character personalities.
I think the least unique thing and the aspect you could pair off between his books are these personality types

But really there are only so many personalities that work well in fantasy genre so i don't think this is a huge crime and they aren't identical enough that I consider it an issue.

But yes his societies, magic systems, religions, and plots are all pretty different book to book save that they usually end up tying together with a big twist to what you thought you knew.

That being said I honestly do think he is producing an insane amount of work right now and has enough other commitments that he probably isn't the author in questions.

Salvatore is doing a fair amount of work on the 5th ed setting novels i think... (i don't mind him but very action hero style stories so not much my thing)

If we were getting someone from D&D I'd prefer Ed Greenwood.

BossHoss
05-31-2013, 10:49 AM

I`d like to see the Hex book done by Robert Munsch... I`ll read them as a good night story to the kids

Lidralyn
05-31-2013, 11:07 AM
My vote would be for Larry Correia. Get rid of a lot of the language he normally has in his books and let's go! Since HEX has a lot of steampunk type style, the guns the dwarves make and what not. It would be a fun read!