PDA

View Full Version : Duels of the Planeswalkers (Original) - Now Working on Windows 7

Stok3d
05-30-2013, 08:01 PM
Issue: Quit Wow, sold out of MTGO, and am looking for something to hold me over until Hex Alpha comes out :p . Hex has really got me reminiscing about the original Duels of the Planeswalkers that I used to play on DOS. After looking to buy it again, I finally figured out out that this software is Abandonware (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abandonware) and posted freely on the net.

Solution: Apparently, there has been a whole underground movement to rewrite the software by the community so it can work on Windows 7&8 instead of just 16bit DOS. Long story short, I want to let you know that I am currently playing it now (file named Shandalar 2012) and thought others may be interested too. It's the old game rewritten to work 32/64bit. Go to This Site (http://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=898&start=240) and you can find a complete description of all the efforts over the years and CirothUngol has download links in his sig.

Enjoy--I know I am :)

Ashenor
05-30-2013, 08:05 PM
Nice i will check this out for sure.

wallofomens
05-30-2013, 08:12 PM
Awesome! I remember playing this long ago, not even knowing what TCGs were. Thanks for the link!

ForgedSol
05-30-2013, 08:13 PM
I played this back in the day. I started with Revised (3rd Edition) but even playing that early to see decks without the 4 max per card limit. Playing Shandalar with decks made of unlimited Ancestral Recalls, Lightning Bolts, and Black Lotuses was a ton of fun just to mess around with. Or a good ol' Channel/Fireball deck.

Mr.Funsocks
05-30-2013, 09:26 PM
THIS GAME IS WHY I WANT 20000$ TO PUT INTO HEX OMG.

I played the HELL out of this back in the day. I LOVED MTG, but couldn't stand putting in another 100 bucks every year to keep up, and I have, literally since the day I finished that game the first time, wanted an online version of it. I have been craving it, so intensely, in so many ways, that since I saw that someone was FINALLY making a professional, modern, online and digital TCG with some kind of single player/open world, I have been overcome with the urge to finally play it. All I ever wanted was for WOTC to take this game, add the other sets in, and make snazzy graphics. Instead... MTGO and Duels of the Planeswalkers. Steaming piles of refuse compared to what could EASILY have been made.

Showsni
05-30-2013, 10:32 PM
Ah, Shandalar is so good. I had the old Channel Fireball deck made, of course; but when the end boss starts with so much more life than you, that really becomes not so good. So for him I made a dedicated land destruction deck. His deck is some kind of horrible mishmash of colours, that really falls apart when you start Sinkholing (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=202439) from turn two (or one with Dark Ritual/Moxen/Lotus). Then you drop the Demonic Hordes (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=202507). Then you drop Instill Energy (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=202572) on the Demonic Hordes. (Of course, that's if you can't be bothered to make a truly broken turn one win deck, probably using four of each moxen, sol ring and lotus, time walk, time twister, hurkyl's recall, etc...)

nearlysober
05-30-2013, 10:44 PM
Dunno much about nagic online games... but from what I see on wikipedia this was release in June 2009... about 5 months before Windows 7 went on sale to the public... and WOTC never even released a Win7 version?

Mr.Funsocks
05-30-2013, 11:12 PM
No, it was released in 1998. You have the wrong one. It's a Microprose game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic:_The_Gathering_(MicroProse)

Showsni
05-30-2013, 11:14 PM
It was originally called simply Magic the Gathering, then got expansions called Spells of the Ancients and Duels of the Planeswalkers. Duels is the latest definitive version, and can stand alone without needing the earlier stuff installed; but the game is usually referred to as "Shandalar" after the single player segment.

Beastmaster
05-30-2013, 11:32 PM
There is a Mac Version too ;)
http://portingteam.com/files/file/7762-magic-the-gathering-shandalar-2012/

Diplo
05-30-2013, 11:38 PM
You can alway try Shadow Era as well. It's free and might help you kill some time till you get HEX.

TheMuffMuff
05-31-2013, 07:26 AM
what's mana link? :)
Which cards/sets are included?

jai151
05-31-2013, 07:35 AM
Mana link is the generic duel and multiplayer side of the game. Shandalar is the single player awesomeness.

houjix
05-31-2013, 07:41 AM
Mana link is the generic duel and multiplayer side of the game. Shandalar is the single player awesomeness.

I so love playing with Power 9 cards. And since the only person getting the NPE is the computer, I don't feel bad about it. Currently playing with a W/B deck. I love me some first turn Hypnotic Specters.

FranzVonG
05-31-2013, 07:42 AM
Did anyone ever tried to mod it and put more cards into the PVE part of the game?

Stok3d
05-31-2013, 12:10 PM
Anyone else give the old Shandalar a whirl?

Mr.Funsocks
05-31-2013, 06:46 PM
Installing it atm, was a little busy the last few days, but I'm gonna rawk through it a bit in the meantime.

Ramshackal
05-31-2013, 07:22 PM
I actually started playing this a few days after I first pledged for Hex.

I didn't get extremely far, but I took down the black wizard! I made a red goblin deck that I really liked.

ForgedSol
06-01-2013, 12:13 AM
Hmm... looks like the links on their site aren't working anymore. I shouldn't downloaded it yesterday.

Stok3d
06-09-2013, 12:03 AM
bump to help hold over those till alpha who haven't seen this thread yet

Showsni
06-09-2013, 12:16 AM
I'm not sure how I managed to get the Face Editor to work on my currently saved game. I'm sure I had to do something to trick it into working... Oh well.

Been playing a few Unlimited Sealed tournaments. Someone else Control Magicing your Craw Wurm is pretty annoying.

ForgedSol
06-09-2013, 01:13 AM
Where are people finding the file? The links on the first page of that thread lead to "file not found." At least for the recommended one, I haven't checked the ones they say are for archival purposes only.

TexArcane
06-09-2013, 03:02 AM
Sweet! Thanks!

henrysquire
06-09-2013, 11:24 AM
I downloaded it and it has brought back some memories!

Stok3d
06-09-2013, 12:50 PM
Where are people finding the file? The links on the first page of that thread lead to "file not found." At least for the recommended one, I haven't checked the ones they say are for archival purposes only.

Look for the below post and his sig has three links. Each has the links to the Shandalar file to download.

Re: Download Original MicroProse & ManaLink Game Files!
by CirothUngol 10 Apr 2013, 06:14

n3r0 wrote:
Should I install 20100109 update over 2010 ISO?
Nope, that's not how it works.
I'm sure this is confusing to those who haven't been aware of Manalink's advancements over the years. Here's an approximate TimeLine:

1997) Original Microprose MtG is released
1998) Microprose MtG: Duels of the Planeswalkers is released
2001) Mok releases his Manalink 1.3.2 Unofficial Update
2006) Mok releases his final Manalink 2.0 Mod, and then promptly disappears
2007) Community Updates to Manalink 2.0 begin
2009) New graphics and GameModes added to Manalink
2010) 2000 card limit is reached and old cards start being removed
2010) The CCGHQ Custom ISO is released
2011) Mok briefly reappears and helps Devs to break the 2000 card limit
2012) Manalink 3.0 is released (now with a 16384 card limit)

Manalink has seen many changes and additions over the years, so properly updating a basic Microprose install can be a real difficult and convoluted pain... hence the complete updated versions. Although they all use MtG DotP + Manalink 1.3.2 as a base, once updated they're quite incompatible with each other... especially the 2010 Custom ISO. It has a few custom updates of it's very own, and you should never use any other updates on that version.

There are several "complete" versions available:

Manalink 1.3.2 - The original Microprose MtG: Duels of the Planeswalkers with all 649 cards enabled, direct peer-to-peer network connections, and several fixes to Shandalar that make it playable on 'modern systems' (i.e. anything faster than 300Mhz). This version has been compatible with every edition of Windoze I've ever owned (95b, 98SE, 2000, XPsp3, 7x64) and I still play it occasionally.
Manalink 1.3.2 update is dated August 12, 2001.

CCGHQ 2010 Custom ISO - No new Game Modes or ArtWork (other than CardArt), but this version is quick, responsive, and stable as hell. It looks, acts, plays, and installs just like the original game, but contains more than twice the number of cards! I believe the 2010 ISO contains all of the updates that were written in ASM, before C programming was enabled for new cards (drastically simplifying and speeding up the process). Still my favorite version and probably the one I play the most.
The last update for the CCGHQ Custom ISO was July 21, 2011.

Manalink 2.0 - Since it was in constant development by several people over many years, there are simply oodles and oodles of updates for this version. It introduced all of the current extra Game Modes (Momir, Challenge, Draft, etc.) as well as all of the improved graphics and CardArt updates. It also used separate executables to work around the 2000 card limit (Magic.exe, MagicLimited.exe, MagicCustom.exe, and MagicGY.exe), with each executable requiring a separate CardArt Folder.
The last update for Manalink 2.0 was December 1, 2011.

Manalink 3.0 - The current version was officially released on January 28, 2012 and is developed by Gargaroz. It uses a completely different CARDS.DAT format than previous versions to accommodate the expanded card list and also contains an updated DeckBuilder, new CardArt file naming format, plus a few other graphic updates. The version found in my MtG Folder has Shandalar completely removed.
The March 22, 2013 update contains 7437 coded cards and 9515 CardArt images.

Shandalar 2012 - Shandalar.exe (the "adventure" part of the game) was updated in 2001 as part of Mok's Manalink 1.3.2, and didn't receive another update until December 2011. No new cards were added, but it now uses the updated DeckBuilder, CardArt, and DuelArt from Manalink 3.0 and has pre-juiced SaveFiles... other than that, it's the same ol' Shandalar. Great as ever. ^_^

These versions should all be considered separate entities, and you should always use the appropriate Base Install when updating.

Oh, about Manalink 2.x 20100109. That's approximately the last version of Manalink 2.0 before the inevitable removal of older cards to make room for new ones (because of the 2000 card limit). It comes complete with Game Modes and updated ArtWork, etc., and retains backwards-compatibility with all of the original PlayDecks (which is no longer an issue with Manalink 3.0). If desired, it can be used as a Base Install for further updates of Manalink 2.0 (never go backwards).

Newest downloads can be found at the links in my signature. I'm currently planning on rebuilding the 2.x 20100109 version (because the PlayDeck Analyser has exposed much incorrectness) and Shandalar is about to get a Major professional-style upgrade courtesy of hip63 (who built the 2010 Custom ISO installer). I've just seen the Beta, and brother... spectacular doesn't even begin to describe it!

Personal Note: Nobody is gonna read that wall of text. ^_^

Stok3d
06-18-2013, 02:02 PM
Got 7 of 9 of the P9 so far. :)

Rtsands45
06-18-2013, 02:38 PM
My favorite deck is black with 4x contract from below.

SeaOfInsanity
06-18-2013, 03:13 PM
Oh my. I did enjoy this game back in the day. It was half the reason I backed HEX.

snarvid
06-18-2013, 05:20 PM
Oh my. I did enjoy this game back in the day. It was half the reason I backed HEX.

I loved it too. The AI sucked so bad, though... It would randomly Giant Growth my units.

Still... Lifeforce and Sleight of Mind felt so harsh...

Fateanomaly
06-18-2013, 07:45 PM
I downloaded shandalar but for some reasons , i couldn't edit the deck so i gave up.

Stok3d
06-18-2013, 08:38 PM
I downloaded shandalar but for some reasons , i couldn't edit the deck so i gave up.

Shandalar is a PVE experience... you edit the deck while you're in town. The launch name is Shandalar.exe

Khazrakh
06-18-2013, 09:18 PM
Kaspersky found some trojans in the files I downloaded from your link. After deleting them the game still works.
I'm not sure if Kaspersky just was a little trigger happy again, but you'd better check.

Stok3d
06-18-2013, 10:11 PM
Kaspersky found some trojans in the files I downloaded from your link. After deleting them the game still works.
I'm not sure if Kaspersky just was a little trigger happy again, but you'd better check.

Interesting. I use McAfee and nothing flagged

Falaris
08-07-2014, 02:27 PM
Norton found a couple trojans in that download as well.

Gwaer
08-07-2014, 02:59 PM
Might be a new Necro record.

FlyingMeatchip
08-07-2014, 03:32 PM
Not to savy at computers, got windows 8. What file exactly do I download?

Makizushi
08-07-2014, 09:17 PM

Well, there goes one of my last reasons to hang onto a WinXP VM in Parallels :)

I used to suck horribly at this game and these days I'm no better. Then again, I never knew about the "more than 4 cards" rule and I've always been building it neatly according the "4 max" rule. Weird. I even remember the Rev edition rulebook stating "4 max"? ... Or I'm just getting old.

@Gwaer: darn, I didn't see the date on the first post.

Stok3d
08-07-2014, 09:24 PM
Please don't Necro threads... even outstanding ones created by me :)