PDA

View Full Version : Card Ideas

TheDiv
05-30-2013, 10:23 PM
I understand the developers won't be interested in our silly card ideas, but it's still great fun to pose some ideas and see what other mechanics people have thought of. I'm especially interested in what digital-only type cards people have thought of.

I thought of this card this morning while I was eating banana bread. It could be done in a paper TCG too and I think it could be an interesting card for a deck focused on drawing a lot of cards:

The Hand That Feeds
2 mana - Artifact
At the beginning of each turn, The Hand That Feeds gains one counter to a maximum of 5. Draw a card for each counter.

If it doesn't get dealt with quickly by your opponent, you'll find yourself in a position where you're much more likely to get those killer cards you need for your combos!

wallofomens
05-30-2013, 10:25 PM
Uh, if you are talking about PvP, this card is way too overpowered. :D

Here's a card I just thought of:

Prismatic Chalice (2)
Artifact

When Prismatic Chalice enters play, draw a card.
TAP: Destroy one of your threshold points. Add a threshold point of your choice.

And while writing this it came to me that it is pretty much this:

http://static.tappedout.net/mtg-cards/gatecrash/prophetic-prism_medium.jpg

TheDiv
05-30-2013, 10:30 PM
Hehe, I thought as much :P Perhaps a higher mana cost would help balance it? My other idea of the card was this:

The Hand That Feeds
2 mana - Artifact
At the beginning of each turn, you may choose to sacrifice 2hp to The Hand That Feeds to add one counter to a maximum of 5. Remove one card from your opponents library to their graveyard for each counter.

Tyrfang
05-30-2013, 10:30 PM
Yeah, 2 mana for endless 1 card/turn would be nearly broken already...

wallofomens
05-30-2013, 10:33 PM
Hehe, I thought as much :P Perhaps a higher mana cost would help balance it? My other idea of the card was this:

The Hand That Feeds
2 mana - Artifact
At the beginning of each turn, you may choose to sacrifice 2hp to The Hand That Feeds to add one counter to a maximum of 5. Remove one card from your opponents library to their graveyard for each counter.

Seems like a decent milling card. If I were to rebalance it, I'd remove the hp sacrificing, and I would make it to trigger only at the beginning of your turn, not each turn. Also I would set the max to 4 probably.

jaxsonbateman
05-30-2013, 10:43 PM
I like the Prismatic 'Chalice' idea, simply because it starts to make 3+ color decks a lot more feasible. Unless they eventually provide 2+ color sources, 3+ color decks will be unplayable simply because of threshold, despite construction allowing for them, if that makes sense (that is, there's a roadblock simply because design isn't allowing for it, not because it's literally impossible).

Showsni
05-30-2013, 10:46 PM
Does it still need paying 2 HP to after it's fully charged if you want it to mill?

How about this:

Sleeper Agent
[2] (SAPPHIRE)
Troop - Human Spy
At the beginning of the game, choose a random troop in a random opponent's deck. (If there are no troops in that deck, ignore this bility). Sleeper Agent transforms into a copy of that troop and is shuffled into that deck, and gains the ability: "Only Sleeper Agent's owner can see this ability. That player may pay [3] to revert Sleeper Agent and gain control of it."
1/1

It would probably be a little distressing to play your massive rare bomb for all your mana only for it to rip its mask off and rejoin its real master...

wallofomens
05-30-2013, 10:47 PM
How about:

Dwarven Inventor (2)
Sapphire Threshold - 1

When Dwarven Inventor enters play, search your deck for an artifact with cost 2 or less and put it in your hand. Shuffle your deck.

1/2

and:

Dwarven Engineer - (3)
Sapphire Threshold - 1

When Dwarven Engineer enters play, put target artifact with cost 2 or less from your hand into play

2/2

and:

Dwarf Rejuvenator (3)
Sapphire - 1, Wild - 1

When Dwarf Rejuvenator enters play, look at the top 3 cards of your deck and put each resource and each artifact into play. For each resource put into play this way, gain 2 life. For each artifact put into play this way, lose life equal to that artifact's cost.

1/1

(this one will probably be legendary)

Two things to take from this post - I like enter play effects, and I suck at card naming!

Madican
05-30-2013, 10:47 PM
Not sure if this is considered OP or UP but I like the idea of multi-threshold powerhouses.

Knight of White Flame
3 Diamond, 2 Ruby
7 Mana - Human Troop
Swiftstrike
[2] Create a Shard of White Flame
Exhaust - Void five Shards of White Flame. Void all troops and artifacts on opponent's field.
"A single strike, a flash of white, and all turns to ash."
1/1

Shard of White Flame
1 Diamond, 1 Ruby
0 Mana - Artifact
Add +1/+1 to "Knight of White Flame" for each Shard of White Flame in play.

wallofomens
05-30-2013, 10:49 PM
Does it still need paying 2 HP to after it's fully charged if you want it to mill?

How about this:

Sleeper Agent
[2] (SAPPHIRE)
Troop - Human Spy
At the beginning of the game, choose a random troop in a random opponent's deck. (If there are no troops in that deck, ignore this bility). Sleeper Agent transforms into a copy of that troop and is shuffled into that deck, and gains the ability: "Only Sleeper Agent's owner can see this ability. That player may pay [3] to revert Sleeper Agent and gain control of it."
1/1

It would probably be a little distressing to play your massive rare bomb for all your mana only for it to rip its mask off and rejoin its real master...

I like it a lot! Does it become a 1/1 when you take it back or does it remained the card it transformed into?

jaxsonbateman
05-30-2013, 10:54 PM

How about this:

Sleeper Agent
[2] (SAPPHIRE)
Troop - Human Spy
1/1

That sounds brilliant, tbh, and would be quite happy to see it in a future set.

TheDiv
05-30-2013, 10:59 PM
I like it a lot! Does it become a 1/1 when you take it back or does it remained the card it transformed into?

I assume it remains the card it turned into. I think the 1/1 is there because the card is a Troop and can't have 0 defence :P

jaxsonbateman
05-30-2013, 11:03 PM
It does mention reverting it, which would change it back to a 1/1 - which would be fair enough, given that you're getting +2 card advantage for 3 mana (you steal their creature, so they get -1 and you get +1, for a +2 swing).

If the card was supposed to stay as that creature, the cost of the action would probably have to be equal to the cost of the card.

wallofomens
05-30-2013, 11:04 PM
I assume it remains the card it turned into. I think the 1/1 is there because the card is a Troop and can't have 0 defence :P

I don't see why not. There are lots of TCGs with troops/creatures that are 0/0.

And also after thinking about it, his card seems a bit overpowered. Not only does it thin your deck(you begin with 56 cards) which is very beneficial, but it screws your opponent at the start of the game without you having to do a single thing. This is talking about PvP balance ofc, in PvE it's fine.

TheDiv
05-30-2013, 11:04 PM
It does mention reverting it, which would change it back to a 1/1 - which would be fair enough, given that you're getting +2 card advantage for 3 mana (you steal their creature, so they get -1 and you get +1, for a +2 swing).

If the card was supposed to stay as that creature, the cost of the action would probably have to be equal to the cost of the card.

Ah that's true. So essentially it's a removal, but in the most obnoxiously troll way possible :P I love it!

jaxsonbateman
05-30-2013, 11:08 PM
I don't see why not. There are lots of TCGs with troops/creatures that are 0/0.

And also after thinking about it, his card seems a bit overpowered. Not only does it thin your deck(you begin with 56 cards) which is very beneficial, but it screws your opponent at the start of the game without you having to do a single thing. This is talking about PvP balance ofc, in PvE it's fine.
The card could be balanced a bit further. The cost of the ability would have to take into account that it's technically a 2-for-1 that includes removal (it's essentially destroy target troop; put a 1/1 into play under your control), so it might need to be increased. And perhaps instead of being put into their deck at the start of the game, it could be "when this card enters your hand, secretly shuffle it into your opponents library; it copies a random troop card in that deck". While having it be useless against a non-troop deck could be fair, it could be expanded to cover artifacts and constants to ensure it'll usually hit something.

Showsni
05-30-2013, 11:11 PM
Yeah, it's basically a three mana kill spell that drops off a 1/1 guy for you as it leaves, but also has the disadvantage of not being at all targetable. If it stayed as the creature it would probably need the reveal cost upping (well, I guess Control Magic does only cost 4...).

Tyrfang
05-30-2013, 11:25 PM
Side note, wouldn't they know there's a sleeper agent in his deck based on remaining deck size?

Fateanomaly
05-31-2013, 12:58 AM
How do you choose a random troop?

wallofomens
05-31-2013, 01:02 AM
How do you choose a random troop?

Hahahaha... I laughed at this for over a minute... What is wrong with me?! :D