PDA

View Full Version : Freeing up Pro Player x2

Sci3nce
05-31-2013, 05:46 AM
After 63 hours of playing Magic, I have decided that HEX is just not going to be for me. While the first ~10 hours of the game was fun, I quickly found out that it's just an RNG game and those games where RNG is not on your side can really kill the fun. Add to that the fact that it only takes 1 Mana Screw game to absolutely kill all enjoyment I was having and it's clear that HEX isn't going to be as fun (for me) as I hoped.

As such, I am dropping both my Pro Player tier's I currently hold. I hope you all enjoy the game as much as I thought I would. It's back to WoW and LoL for me, RNG just isn't my thing.

verozo
05-31-2013, 05:48 AM
did you already dropped it? would love to have one of your slot :)

Sci3nce
05-31-2013, 05:55 AM
Not yet, I'll drop at 10:00AM CST (3 hours) to make things fair for others.

Mysidia
i would love to change my collector to your pro player

verozo
Could you make it sooner :(

havocattack
05-31-2013, 05:57 AM
;o

TheDiv
05-31-2013, 05:59 AM
Three hours?! Damn this timezone! :P

Sleep vs Chance at a PP... Hrmm...

verozo
05-31-2013, 06:00 AM
Three hours?! Damn this timezone! :P

Sleep vs Chance at a PP... Hrmm...

Sleep. Sleep. Sleep.

:P

Talreth
05-31-2013, 06:03 AM
I don't really agree w/your characterization but to each their own. If you don't like RNG I hope you're 5manning league.

TheDiv
05-31-2013, 06:04 AM
Sleep. Sleep. Sleep.

:P

Don't worry. I will be sleeping. I wish everyone spamming F5 for it the best of luck :)

Verdant
05-31-2013, 06:07 AM
I don't really agree w/your characterization but to each their own. If you don't like RNG I hope you're 5manning league.
Not to mention loot randomizer in WoW...

arastor
05-31-2013, 06:07 AM
Off topic, but TheDiv, that sig is AWESOME!

jai151
05-31-2013, 06:08 AM
As much as I personally think you're jumping the gun on the decision, I respect it. Hope you find what you're looking for, and thank you for not trying to "sell" your slots.

Genocidal
05-31-2013, 06:15 AM
Don't necessarily agree with your characterization, but sorry it isn't going to be for you; definitely something you should find out before you drop $500. Come give the game a shot once it's live and you can play for free. :)

Fireblast
05-31-2013, 06:22 AM
If the Magic you've tried is DOTPlaneswalkers, you have to know that it sucks, and HEX won't :)

I've played TCG for 15 years, and RNG is not a big part of it.

~

Qorsair
05-31-2013, 06:32 AM
Off topic, but TheDiv, that sig is AWESOME!

+1

And to the OP, sorry you're not having fun with MtG; Hex will probably feel similar for you, but come back and see us at launch and give Hex a shot.

Stok3d
05-31-2013, 06:35 AM
I have a feeling you'll regret this decision if you ever play this game after launch. If you do send back your slots, don't try this game again as you may really hate yourself later...

Mavian
05-31-2013, 06:36 AM
If the Magic you've tried is DOTPlaneswalkers, you have to know that it sucks, and HEX won't :)

~

Indeed. When he says 63 hours of Magic...I wonder if he just meant DotP? Because there's zero deck building in that game really or the ability to tweak lands and I don't think they even have any dual lands (which is pretty huge). DotP is a poor representation of MTG, it's more of a learner thing.

This year's DotP 2014 will at least have a Sealed game mode to allow you to build your own deck, but the others are just there to whet the appetite of the real deal.

Skylmt
05-31-2013, 06:38 AM

~

Yeah I played dotp and it killed me. about to drop my pro but ppl say its not like dotp for hex. I don't know about him but I like the play style but hated everything else on dotp

Sci3nce
05-31-2013, 06:40 AM

~

If you could elaborate more that'd be great. I am playing DotP but I don't see the difference.

Here's my comparison:

WoW - If I want to stun someone and go for the kill (PvP) I can do it whenever I want.

Magic - If I want to do anything I have to hope I draw the card. Basically I can only do what the cards allow me to, rather than the cards doing what I want. For example, I've played mill decks that didn't draw a single mill card for 20+ turns. I played the Black deck and couldn't remove any of my opponents creatures from play because I didn't draw a single card that would do it. I've been mana screw'd too many times to count, to the point where if I do a mulligan and still don't have 3+ mana in my starting hand I'll forfeit the game before it even starts.

Not being a TCG veteran, I cannot see the difference in Magic and HEX as the mechanics are pretty much identical in my eyes. If it is different than I'd love to hear about it because the first 10+ hours of the game was fun before I realized just how often you get GG'd because of your draw.

BohemianStalker
05-31-2013, 06:41 AM
After 63 hours of playing Magic, I have decided that HEX is just not going to be for me. While the first ~10 hours of the game was fun, I quickly found out that it's just an RNG game and those games where RNG is not on your side can really kill the fun. Add to that the fact that it only takes 1 Mana Screw game to absolutely kill all enjoyment I was having and it's clear that HEX isn't going to be as fun (for me) as I hoped.

As such, I am dropping both my Pro Player tier's I currently hold. I hope you all enjoy the game as much as I thought I would. It's back to WoW and LoL for me, RNG just isn't my thing.

Its just RNG - stopped reading there.

Sci3nce
05-31-2013, 06:42 AM
I have a feeling you'll regret this decision if you ever play this game after launch. If you do send back your slots, don't try this game again as you may really hate yourself later...

I wouldn't hate myself over a game. But I understand what you're trying to get at.

LashtonBryth
05-31-2013, 06:47 AM
If you could elaborate more that'd be great. I am playing DotP but I don't see the difference.

Here's my comparison:

WoW - If I want to stun someone and go for the kill (PvP) I can do it whenever I want.

Magic - If I want to do anything I have to hope I draw the card. Basically I can only do what the cards allow me to, rather than the cards doing what I want. For example, I've played mill decks that didn't draw a single mill card for 20+ turns. I played the Black deck and couldn't remove any of my opponents creatures from play because I didn't draw a single card that would do it. I've been mana screw'd too many times to count, to the point where if I do a mulligan and still don't have 3+ mana in my starting hand I'll forfeit the game before it even starts.

Not being a TCG veteran, I cannot see the difference in Magic and HEX as the mechanics are pretty much identical in my eyes. If it is different than I'd love to hear about it because the first 10+ hours of the game was fun before I realized just how often you get GG'd because of your draw.

Can you lose because of a bad draw? Of course. Can you win because of your opponents bad draw? Sure. Will most matches come down to your deck build and skill playing the cards you get? Yes. Think of it like poker: you can get bad beats from the RNG, but over time the best players always make money. Luck always evens out.

Sci3nce
05-31-2013, 06:48 AM
Can you lose because of a bad draw? Of course. Can you win because of your opponents bad draw? Sure. Will most matches come down to your deck build and skill playing the cards you get? Yes. Think of it like poker: you can get bad beats from the RNG, but over time the best players always make money. Luck always evens out.

I've found the exact opposite in my experience. Of all the games I've played well over 50% weren't even close because one person or the other just didn't have the cards.

Mavian
05-31-2013, 06:48 AM

Here's my comparison:

The big difference is you can't custom build decks, so you're sort of locked into the cards DotP gives you. So if a deck doesn't give you 4x of a card, they lowers the draw chance. You can't tweak mana either. So if you run a split color deck, you can customize the amount of a type of mana. There's also none/few dual mana lands in DotP which are staples of MTG as it allows your deck to be more flexible. DotP pretty much only runs on basic lands.

So you might notice cards from different decks that might syngerize together better when you play DotP, but because there's no true deck building, you're locked into that particular deck. Really cuts out the core of the TCG experience for constructed play (i.e. building your own deck and making adjustments as you play test it). DotP also offers no sealed or draft format experience, which is a HUGE part of casual and competitive MTG. This year's DotP 2014 (which comes out in June or July usually) will offer a Sealed game mode, so you might want to drop 10 on it when it comes out for a truer taste, but it's still nothing compared to a true, open TCG experience.

Tinuvas
05-31-2013, 06:52 AM
I have played Magic for far too long, and at first, I would have agreed with you. It's all about the draw! Having watched pros at work, it is not. We had a 'big' tournament at our local game store a couple of years back. The local crowd...aren't pros. The tourney was big enough to draw the big boys from the nearest cities a few hours away. When the day was done, the floor was littered with the broken dreams of the locals as the pros cleaned house, good draw or not.

You could come up with many excuses as to why that happened, but the skill difference was SO obvious and SO extreme, there really was no randomness to the results. Sure in any given draw there is randomness, but the predominating factor in 98%+ of the games that are played is skill. Pure and simple. To blame the majority of your games on RNG is short sighted, wrong, and won't help you improve your game. If you are regularly losing to not having mana, maybe a look at your curve would help...

MisterBurkes
05-31-2013, 06:55 AM
To each their own, I guess. I'll be waiting at 10AM! :D

BohemianStalker
05-31-2013, 06:56 AM
maybe my first post here was rude..so here you go again:

I think you would have to change your personal philosophy. Like try to learn that loosing is fun too. Because there really can be situations where you cant do anything , where are you destined to loose. Its like kobayashi maru test from star trek, sometimes you have to stay calm and deal with it.

But it is not RNG no matter how hard you think it is. It is RNG for your brain because you dont see the patterns, the slight differencies. The despair of "bad rng" is many times just illusion created by your inexperience. When watching replays of my games after hundreds hours of magic I found many times i could do things better.

Since luck is a great factor its about you playing your hand best, knowing the every card in the game, every possibility, try to foresee opponents move and when you do that. You gain that edge and in the long run you gain like 60%+ win ratio..and if you are really really good you can go 65% and if you are genius over to 70% and over :-)

Tinuvas
05-31-2013, 06:56 AM
The big difference is you can't custom build decks, so you're sort of locked into the cards DotP gives you. So if a deck doesn't give you 4x of a card, they lowers the draw chance. You can't tweak mana either. So if you run a split color deck, you can customize the amount of a type of mana. There's also none/few dual mana lands in DotP which are staples of MTG as it allows your deck to be more flexible. DotP pretty much only runs on basic lands.

So you might notice cards from different decks that might syngerize together better when you play DotP, but because there's no true deck building, you're locked into that particular deck. Really cuts out the core of the TCG experience for constructed play (i.e. building your own deck and making adjustments as you play test it). DotP also offers no sealed or draft format experience, which is a HUGE part of casual and competitive MTG. This year's DotP 2014 (which comes out in June or July usually) will offer a Sealed game mode, so you might want to drop 10 on it when it comes out for a truer taste, but it's still nothing compared to a true, open TCG experience.

Never played DotP. From your description I'm glad I missed that group of games. So much of a true TCG happens long before the opening draw...

MisterBurkes
05-31-2013, 06:58 AM
It still might be worth picking up a King tier x1 in case you'd like to play this game later.

Mavian
05-31-2013, 06:59 AM
Never played DotP. From your description I'm glad I missed that group of games. So much of a true TCG happens long before the opening draw...

They're fun little experiences for people who have never played MTG, but the goal of the games is to get people in the LGS to play and buy boosters and starters. Do the FNM and start collecting and building decks of their own. But it's a shallow version of the true experience.

And if you play against the AI, it's awful. On the highest difficulty, it just cheats by knowing its deck order. So for 10 bucks, it's fun now and again, but shouldn't be seen as representative of the true experience.

Genocidal
05-31-2013, 06:59 AM
I've found the exact opposite in my experience. Of all the games I've played well over 50% weren't even close because one person or the other just didn't have the cards.

DotP is good for learning the game rules and mechanics, but is missing a lot of what makes Magic good. A big thing that Duels of the Planeswalkers doesn't provide, as mentioned, is the ability to custom build decks. Most of the decks don't come with 4 copies of a card in them, and most of them also don't have good deck manipulation that allows you to get the cards you want, when you want them. Any constructed deck worth their salt has ways to get card advantage over your opponent, be it through drawing cards, plenty of permanent removal, or combat tricks to kill your opponent's creatures. The decks that don't have this (mostly card drawing) are either fast enough that they don't care what their opponent is doing, or bad. Unfortunately, in DotP it's more of the latter than the former.

There was a link posted to the Magic Shandalar game elsewhere on the forum; it might be worth giving that a try before you make your final decision. If you enjoy the deckbuilding aspects of that game, consider keeping some sort of pledge, even if it isn't at your current level.

houjix
05-31-2013, 07:00 AM
DotP is a bad representation of TCG/CCG as it takes T/C away. What is left is a hot pile of glorified starter decks. And anyone who has every played in a starter deck event knows how RNG they can be.

LNQ
05-31-2013, 07:00 AM

Duels of the Planeswalkers is completely different because you can't customize your decks. Mana screw and RNG play an exponentially bigger role because you are playing preconstructed decks with very little room for modifications.

In real MTG (and HEX) you can build whatever you want, and building your own deck and seeing how it fares against others is the whole beauty of the game. Sure, a bad draw is always a bad draw and you will lose some games due to luck, but this is true for all games except pure games like chess.

I have played DotP myself and enjoyed it a little bit, but it didn't come close to real MTG and I quickly stopped playing duels.

Mana Screw will also play a smaller role in Hex due to the threshold system.

Deckbuilding is a huge aspect of these games and it's wonderfully enjoyable. Drafting is especially fun as you have a very limited palette to build from. Often you win or lose because your deck just wasn't equipped to deal with your opponent's deck, not because of bad draws. There's also a lot you can do to reduce the effect RNG has on your deck if you want. Using cards like Peek or abilities that give you more cards accomplish this.

Planeswalker has premade decks that are balanced against each other. Because the decks are about the same level, RNG becomes a big annoyance and I understand where you're coming from.

Do what you want, at least now you can make a better informed decision.

houjix
05-31-2013, 07:06 AM
Advice for the OP. See if you can track down the Shandalar game for the PC. It will give you a better experience compared to DotP and will be akin to the PVE portion of Hex. Give that game a try before giving up on Hex.

Willzyx
05-31-2013, 07:10 AM
Mana Screw will also play a smaller role in Hex due to the threshold system.

People cite this a lot but keep in mind that it only affects multicolor decks. Any "mana screw" issues that existed in mono color decks (flooding or mana draught) still exist.

Sci3nce
05-31-2013, 07:17 AM
Advice for the OP. See if you can track down the Shandalar game for the PC. It will give you a better experience compared to DotP and will be akin to the PVE portion of Hex. Give that game a try before giving up on Hex.

I'm hearing a lot about this Shandalar so I'm going to try it out and see whats up. If the RNG is truly because of the DotP decks then I may reconsider.

Kroan
05-31-2013, 07:20 AM
Just out of interest, how many cards did your DotP decks have? Every time you win, you unlock a card and the game adds it to the deck automatically. If you don't cut your deck back to 60 cards, the decks get even worse when it comes to drawing the cards you actually want.

DotP is a horrible example to see how a real deck works btw. There are so many one-offs in the deck that your deck will never have reliable draws and consistency is non existent.

Sci3nce
05-31-2013, 07:26 AM
Just out of interest, how many cards did your DotP decks have? Every time you win, you unlock a card and the game adds it to the deck automatically. If you don't cut your deck back to 60 cards, the decks get even worse when it comes to drawing the cards you actually want.

DotP is a horrible example to see how a real deck works btw. There are so many one-offs in the deck that your deck will never have reliable draws and consistency is non existent.

I had full unlocks + only 60 or 61 cards. People are saying the decks in general are just terrible though. We'll see how this Shandalar game goes.

Hatts
05-31-2013, 07:26 AM
People cite this a lot but keep in mind that it only affects multicolor decks. Any "mana screw" issues that existed in mono color decks (flooding or mana draught) still exist.

Not entirely, If you have a mana flood allows you can trigger your threshold ability more often.

jai151
05-31-2013, 07:31 AM
Sci3nce, yeah man, when you pull the deckbuilding out of the game (as DOTP does), it comes down a lot more to RNG. Even mana screw/flood in there is because they don't let you set your own mana to spell ratio.

Judging Hex on Duels of the Planeswalkers is like judging WSOP level poker on Poker Night at the Inventory.

Fireblast
05-31-2013, 07:35 AM
Tbh you should just watch some MtG pro tour finals on youtube.
They show cards, and the commentators explain the cards/move so everyone is able to understand.

You'll see that there are cards interaction that are fun, lots of choices to be made during the game.

Anyway, if I were you, I'd keep the 2*PP and sell the account in 6 months if you don't like the game :)

~

Mavian
05-31-2013, 07:43 AM
I had full unlocks + only 60 or 61 cards. People are saying the decks in general are just terrible though. We'll see how this Shandalar game goes.

Yeah, they're basically Starter decks with minor improvements. There's many cards that don't have x4. Some decks don't have a lot of removal or synergy.

DotP is good for learning how to mechanically play TCGs, since almost every single one is derivative of MTG. But that's about it

Verdant
05-31-2013, 07:49 AM
I'm hearing a lot about this Shandalar so I'm going to try it out and see whats up. If the RNG is truly because of the DotP decks then I may reconsider.
Tip: start white. You can go any color you want from there, but white have a very good starting item for novices and (if you're up to it) build up into ridiculously strong aggro deck.

Parallax
05-31-2013, 07:56 AM
Learning when to mulligan is a large part of cutting down the RNG.

MisterBurkes
05-31-2013, 08:02 AM
aw was expecting the 10AM =(

Tathel
05-31-2013, 08:03 AM
aw was expecting the 10AM =(

hehe, yeah i checked too just to make sure he didn't stick to it even with the new info ^_^

Deadpool319
05-31-2013, 08:04 AM
I know I'm late to this thread but a message to the OP: Don't drop Hex on account of DoTP. DoTP isn't even remotely representative of TCGs.

1. DoTP only represents a MTG Core set - these are largely bland, filler cards without the depth and complicated interactions that come from expansion sets. (Hex is already revealed to not be this way at all in their first set)

2. DoTP is programmed to cheat you. It "fakes" difficulty by opting out of programming AI that plays smarter, and instead just rigs yours and the computers draws to be favorable for the computer and unfavorable to you. (Hex's PVP will not be like this, and Cory has promised us a smart AI to fight in PvE - not just rigged draws)

3. DoTP (until M14) does not allow deckbuilding in its true form. You can "swap out" cards for other cards but you cannot genuinely start from the ground up with an idea and do the math yourself for a perfect curve and perfect mana base. This kills the TCG. (Hex will be fully deckbuilding friendly)

My advice, keep at least 1 pro player, join a guild and learn from TCG veterans like myself and many others here, and play Hex.

~Deadpool

verozo
05-31-2013, 08:05 AM
Was expecting 10am too . Oh well :p

jai151
05-31-2013, 08:09 AM
3. DoTP (until M14) does not allow deckbuilding in its true form. You can "swap out" cards for other cards but you cannot genuinely start from the ground up with an idea and do the math yourself for a perfect curve and perfect mana base. This kills the TCG. (Hex will be fully deckbuilding friendly)

M14 won't have true deckbuilding either. It's sealed, so you still don't have a true constructed pool.

Mavian
05-31-2013, 08:10 AM
Was expecting 10am too . Oh well :p

Haha, unfortunately, I think we talked him off the ledge as it were.

Kroan
05-31-2013, 08:11 AM
@Deadpool319: 2) is only partly true. DotP will on the highest difficult level change the draws it gets, but it won't change your draws.

Mysidia
05-31-2013, 08:17 AM
damn there goes the PP =x
but i do agree that dotp is not what u get from hex.
and since you are holding on to the PP, i think it will be nice also to look abit more into drafting

Tathel
05-31-2013, 08:31 AM
From now on any time someone talks about dropping a PP we all just say "Well if you aren't sure you might want to lower your investment" that way they stay in but a PP opens ^_^

verozo
05-31-2013, 08:33 AM
From now on any time someone talks about dropping a PP we all just say "Well if you aren't sure you might want to lower your investment" that way they stay in but a PP opens ^_^

I second this.

Deadpool319
05-31-2013, 08:40 AM
@Deadpool319: 2) is only partly true. DotP will on the highest difficult level change the draws it gets, but it won't change your draws.

Ah. Thanks for the clarification. D13 always seemed to have me flood at the most advantageous time for the computer, but I suppose that was just confirmation bias.

nearlysober
05-31-2013, 08:44 AM
Making decisions on this game based on a different game?

Sound logic.

pearlmon
05-31-2013, 08:47 AM
Lurker coming out of the shadows here, and I must say I wish more people were like you and gave up a pro or grand king when they have multiples. I have been playing the snipe game since last night with a refresher addon, and missed out on one already when I stepped away for just a little to try and get some sleep.

I really wish we could just get a couple hundred more or so slots of these two tiers as I think it would be a great thank you to the community for being so successful and growing at a great pace.

Kroan
05-31-2013, 08:47 AM
Ah. Thanks for the clarification. D13 always seemed to have me flood at the most advantageous time for the computer, but I suppose that was just confirmation bias.

Well, the problem with DotP itself is that it makes a horrible manabase for all your decks. You basically play to many lands

Deadpool319
05-31-2013, 08:48 AM

Sound logic.

I'll pass on the 5 star steak tonight, I went to steak night at Golden Corral one time and it was awful so there is no way I'll like this steak. :P

Sci3nce
05-31-2013, 08:48 AM
*UPDATE* for those waiting for 10AM CST (15 mins from this post). I'm going to play this shandalar game once it finishes dl'n. If it isn't any better then I will release them same time tomorrow.

Deadpool319
05-31-2013, 08:49 AM
Well, the problem with DotP itself is that it makes a horrible manabase for all your decks. You basically play to many lands

100% this. Mono colored deck with a top end of 4cmc? BETTER PLAY 26 LANDS JUST TO BE SURE!

Sci3nce
05-31-2013, 08:50 AM

Sound logic.

Shouldn't you be trolling the LoL forums?

jai151
05-31-2013, 08:54 AM
100% this. Mono colored deck with a top end of 4cmc? BETTER PLAY 26 LANDS JUST TO BE SURE!

Green deck with lots of mana accel? 26 lands!

Deadpool319
05-31-2013, 08:55 AM
*UPDATE* for those waiting for 10AM CST (15 mins from this post). I'm going to play this shandalar game once it finishes dl'n. If it isn't any better then I will release them same time tomorrow.

As other posters have commented, while it is possible for you to get an idea of what TCGs are kind of like by playing other games, they can't tell you how Hex plays or how much fun you'll have playing it.

Kickstarter is a gamble, you are pledging money upfront on the hopes you'll like the game. Whatever got you interested in it (enough to pledge 500 dollars) is still there. Playing DoTP or Shandalar won't change what initially drew you to the game. The only fair way to determine if you enjoy Hex is to play Hex. If 500 is too much of a gamble, drop to a different pledge tier if it makes you more comfortable.

nylian
05-31-2013, 08:58 AM

I also had full unlocks in DOTP. I am a 15 year MTG veteran (with other card games too) and understand where you're coming from completely.

I affirm 100% that DOTP compared to the full fledged TCG is a giant pile of sh*t. Because the decks are made for you, they don't even hold a candle to the real thing. The level of customization is trash in comparison. The ONLY thing that I liked out of it was the challenges that required creative thinking to complete. The normal level of play feels very restrictive, and imo, boring.

Mana screw happens sometimes, yeah, you wont really be able to get away from that, what's great is the threshold mechanic that hex is bringing in, helping a lot with floods, and to a lesser extent mana screw.

That being said, I can only hope you'll try the game even if you drop the PP KS packages. The more community the better.

Deadpool319
05-31-2013, 09:01 AM
The ONLY thing that I liked out of it was the challenges that required creative thinking to complete.

Spot on. The challenge modes are the one thing about DoTP that is well done, and I kinda hope Hex uses some of those lines of thinking for Dungeons and Raids.

houjix
05-31-2013, 09:06 AM
Spot on. The challenge modes are the one thing about DoTP that is well done, and I kinda hope Hex uses some of those lines of thinking for Dungeons and Raids.

The arena dungeon(or another one maybe) involves you taking a premade deck and earning points based on match outcomes with which you can upgrade the deck before the next fight.

LNQ
05-31-2013, 09:33 AM
I loved Shandalar back in the day. If you don't like it then I agree that you should let go of your pledges here. Hex PvE will surely be more refined than Shandalar but Shandalar does have enough of the deckbuilding aspect to see if the RNG thing is too much of an issue to you.

caffn8d
05-31-2013, 09:47 AM
Sounds like 2x Pro Player tier might be a mistake for you anyway. You need to really dig drafting formats to get the most out of it. King would be as high as I would ever recommend if you're at all on the fence.

EntropyBall
05-31-2013, 09:49 AM
Green deck with lots of mana accel? 26 lands!

My personal favorite is when you add a 61st card to your deck, and its a fetch land, and then it adds yet another land to your deck just because you added a card.

In DotP 2013 though, all the precons start with 4 fetch lands, so you can take those out and get down to (I think) 22 lands.

And for the OP, if you don't really like MTG, dropping $500 on Hex seems like a bad idea. The games are very similar. Even if you are just lukewarm on MTG, getting 2 Pro Tiers seems over the top.

Kroan
05-31-2013, 10:17 AM
In DotP 2013 though, all the precons start with 4 fetch lands, so you can take those out and get down to (I think) 22 lands. I'm pretty sure they don't. Maybe the multi-color ones, I never bothered to buy any expansion :)

averagedog
05-31-2013, 10:18 AM
no Offense or anything, but League of Legends, especially if you play ranked solo queue, is the definition, THE DEFINITION of RNG.
You cannot control what team mates you have or how good they are unless if you have your own team or queue with 4 other friends. There is no consistent factor on your team but yourself.

in MTG, everything is consistent in how the cards work, unless if they specifically have RNG applied to them and to a much lesser degree, what your hand is when you draw.

in a normal preconstructed deck from what I've seen, you usually have around 20 lands and 40 other creatures/spells/artifacts/whatever else. Theoretically, if your deck is well shuffled your opening hand should include somewhere between 2-3 lands to start with, almost every single draw. If you don't like your hand to can re-draw with a penalty of -1 card for a hopefully better hand.

in Lol, you can't even control that much in ranked solo queue.

EntropyBall
05-31-2013, 10:23 AM
I'm pretty sure they don't. Maybe the multi-color ones, I never bothered to buy any expansion :)

Sorry, I bought the game on sale with all the expansions and never bothered with a mono-color deck. So I'm sure you are right. No reason for fetch lands in a mono-color deck, but I think they are in all the 2+ color decks.

nearlysober
05-31-2013, 10:29 AM
Shouldn't you be trolling the LoL forums?
Wasn't trying to be a troll... at least no more than you're trying to be an... well I'll be polite and not name the forum character you're original post represents.

And if you were really just trying to give some die-hards a chance to pickup your Pro Players... that woulda been nice except you just strung everyone along and didn't follow through with it.

Now granted, you've opened up some serious discussion about the game and maybe it'll convince you to keep it. Great. But you could've started a thread expressing your concern with RNG, mana screws, etc as a discussion instead of being a drama queen threatening to quit something you haven't even started yet.

Gwaer
05-31-2013, 10:58 AM
Pretty sure the definition of rng is random number generator.

Sci3nce
05-31-2013, 12:01 PM
Wasn't trying to be a troll... at least no more than you're trying to be an... well I'll be polite and not name the forum character you're original post represents.

And if you were really just trying to give some die-hards a chance to pickup your Pro Players... that woulda been nice except you just strung everyone along and didn't follow through with it.

Now granted, you've opened up some serious discussion about the game and maybe it'll convince you to keep it. Great. But you could've started a thread expressing your concern with RNG, mana screws, etc as a discussion instead of being a drama queen threatening to quit something you haven't even started yet.

I was going to reply to you but you only seem to be interested in negatively judging other people's opinions, simply because they don't agree with yours. It's clear to me that you have not read the whole thread.

Fireblast
05-31-2013, 12:15 PM
Sounds like 2x Pro Player tier might be a mistake for you anyway. You need to really dig drafting formats to get the most out of it. King would be as high as I would ever recommend if you're at all on the fence.

He can just rare draft

~

LNQ
06-01-2013, 02:57 AM
So did you try Shandalar out? Or are you hooked and have played for 12 hours straight? :)

shanDz
06-01-2013, 03:16 AM
Isn't WoW a grinding game with random item drops. Doesnt that make it about RNG?

shanDz
06-01-2013, 03:22 AM
Not being a TCG veteran, I cannot see the difference in Magic and HEX as the mechanics are pretty much identical in my eyes. If it is different than I'd love to hear about it because the first 10+ hours of the game was fun before I realized just how often you get GG'd because of your draw.[/QUOTE]

That's where deck construction skill comes in. Which is possibly one of the reasons why I loved MTG so much. Theory crafting a deck can be one of the most rewarding game experiences. While your draw is random, there is a lot you can do to increase your odds of holding out and even turning the game from a bad draw.

Hatts
06-01-2013, 09:11 AM
I am beginning to think that OP has some sort of a nefarious plan involving DDOSing kickstarter at 10:00 CST each day.

Tathel
06-01-2013, 09:13 AM
I am beginning to think that OP has some sort of a nefarious plan involving DDOSing kickstarter at 10:00 CST each day.

+1

also apparently making people in the GTA do it!