PDA

View Full Version : Colorblindness troubles

MrMcPippens
05-31-2013, 12:20 PM
So, I'm colorblind, and I'm sure there are other people who are excited about this game and are colorblind as well. Will there be a mode we can turn on that will do something about the threshhold costs on the cards? I feel in the future once multicolored cards come out if there is something with red/green threshhold I will find it difficult to tell what it is exactly.

Maybe an option to change the circles into the symbols of the colors?

Tyrfang
05-31-2013, 12:21 PM
Letters would probably make more sense.
(B)lood, (W)ild, (D)iamond, (S)apphire, (R)uby.

Whether or not its implementable depends on how they coded the cards.

Conversely, you might just be able to set the color to something else you can distinguish.

Fireblast
05-31-2013, 12:22 PM
That's the 2.5M stretch goal.

More seriously, they'll have to implement it at some point, I like the Letters idea.

~

MrMcPippens
05-31-2013, 12:24 PM
I would prefer the symbols themselves but anything is find I guess :]

Tathel
05-31-2013, 12:27 PM
hmmm i'd thought of this when i was thinking about the difference between magics circle around a symbol and hexs coloured diamond looks.

>_< I honestly couldn't think of a fix without them redesigning card appearance. Fastest way to do this would be to replace the coloured diamonds with Letters as Tyrfang indicates, Hopefully they read this and have a toggle for that in mind.

It does look like there are slight border differences between some cards, but not uniformly and i'm not sure if this relates to colour

Daer
05-31-2013, 12:43 PM
I guessing this would be something taken care of with the UI. Check colorblind-mode in the options and it could overlay a letter over the threshold, card rarity, etc.

Lunarath
05-31-2013, 01:27 PM
I haven't had trouple reading any cards yet even tho i'm colorblind. But i do agree however. I can get problems if some weird blue/green cards show up

darkbreaker
05-31-2013, 01:32 PM
Letters would probably make more sense.
(B)lood, (W)ild, (D)iamond, (S)apphire, (R)uby.

Whether or not its implementable depends on how they coded the cards.

Conversely, you might just be able to set the color to something else you can distinguish.

Exactly. That's what most games do in colorblind mode. WoW for instance changes coins for letters to represent them (g/s/c) and adds a rarity label on items tooltip.

Psytech
05-31-2013, 01:42 PM
I am colorblind too, and I was counting on a sorting system to deal with the thresholds for me, but it can become a bit difficult while I learn every card in my deck.

Tyrfang
05-31-2013, 01:43 PM
There's a surprising number of people here who are R/G/B color blind...

Madican
05-31-2013, 01:46 PM
R/G is the most common color-blindness. It's always a two-color combination.

Pentregarth
05-31-2013, 01:52 PM
Well, if you take an average of let's say 5% in males (which I assume makes up most of the player base here), it's not all that surprising ;)

Madican
05-31-2013, 01:55 PM
Well, if you take an average of let's say 5% in males (which I assume makes up most of the player base here), it's not all that surprising ;)

8% of men have R/G colorblindness. Just R/G, and there's many other variants.

Lazybum
05-31-2013, 01:58 PM
never knew that it was so common to be colorblind

Xenavire
05-31-2013, 04:20 PM
I would point out that there are SOME shapes/symbols already used in relation to colours, but I am not sure how extensive it is. A colourblind mode would be a fantastic idea, even with symbols though. It would take out any guesswork or trial and error, and just leave everything equal.

Tyrfang
05-31-2013, 04:34 PM
There's already a standard set of 5. Look at Midnight Shepard.

ForgedSol
05-31-2013, 06:48 PM
Symbols would be best since no colorblind mode would have to be turned on. Just colored symbols for everyone. Those who can see the colors, great. Those who can't can at least identify shards by the shapes and the cards don't lose any flavor.

Mr.Funsocks
05-31-2013, 06:53 PM
I'm not colorblind and I'd like the threshold symbols to change to be more visible in general. They blend in with the backgrounds really well, and don't stick out like the cost of a card really should.

Hachima
05-31-2013, 07:49 PM
15% of men have some form of colorblindness.

Gwaer
05-31-2013, 07:56 PM
15% of men have some form of colorblindness.
They're the weaker %15 once women learn to have a color identifying mating ritual the race as a whole will improve.

Madican
05-31-2013, 08:07 PM
They're the weaker %15 once women learn to have a color identifying mating ritual the race as a whole will improve.

Excuse me but what?

Tyrfang
05-31-2013, 08:13 PM
He just basically made a weird eugenics partner-selection comment.

Madican
05-31-2013, 08:16 PM
Which is what made me do the double-take. Though I'd use a slightly stronger word than "weird" for someone who made a random eugenics comment.

Gwaer
05-31-2013, 08:32 PM
Mate selection is an integral part of life. You call it eugenics, I call it love. =)

Madican
05-31-2013, 08:56 PM
Mate selection is an integral part of life. You call it eugenics, I call it love. =)

Implying that a genetic disorder which only makes distinguishing certain colors harder means whoever has it is "weak" is not love. That's cause for me to use a report button if this forum had one.

Genocidal
05-31-2013, 09:07 PM

Not sure what's up with your posts tonight, but maybe you need to step away from the forums for a while and give it another go tomorrow?

Talreth
05-31-2013, 09:09 PM
Not sure what's up with your posts tonight, but maybe you need to step away from the forums for a while and give it another go tomorrow?

I agree, he keeps putting the % sign on the wrong side of the number.

KeplerVerge
05-31-2013, 09:58 PM
From the vids it looks like they already use a shape scheme for each color so they'll probably transfer that onto the card for threshold requirement. Or the letter scheme works, esp since they went 5 colors and avoided choosing ones similarly spelled (like u/b for blue/black. gah, hated that)

ShaolinRaven
05-31-2013, 10:02 PM
From the vids it looks like they already use a shape scheme for each color so they'll probably transfer that onto the card for threshold requirement. Or the letter scheme works, esp since they went 5 colors and avoided choosing ones similarly spelled (like u/b for blue/black. gah, hated that)

Actually the shape scheme would work well. Just make the threshold match the symbol on the resource card.

Doggerel
06-16-2013, 08:56 PM
I am R/G colorblind. I agree that some kind of colorblind mode is needed. Something that worries me is puzzles in PVE. There are many puzzle games that use color that I can't do or are so annoying as to be not fun.

Zomnivore
06-16-2013, 09:00 PM
I would hope that rarity etc would change the small little symbol at the bottom of the card a bit, atm I think its just a standard cross thing right?