PDA

View Full Version : 4 month set cycles?

LashtonBryth
05-31-2013, 05:31 PM
"Considering Cryptozoic is adamant that players will never have to wait any longer than four months for complete new card sets along with additional dungeons or tournaments, four bucks a month for a regular shot at the latest additions to the game is hardly likely to break the bank." Quote from an article on Ign.com

Is that the normal life cycle for a card set or quicker than usual?

Tyrfang
05-31-2013, 05:33 PM
It's pretty standard. It's what MTG does, anyway.

1 big expansion, 1 small, 1 small = 1 Block every year

wallofomens
05-31-2013, 05:34 PM
`Depends on the TCG. It is normal for MtG.

verozo
05-31-2013, 05:43 PM
But from what i read, only the current and previous set is viable right? Does that mean our set 1 decks are viable for only 8 months?

RanaDunes
05-31-2013, 05:45 PM
But from what i read, only the current and previous set is viable right? Does that mean our set 1 decks are viable for only 8 months?

Viable for "standard" play you mean?
For MTG Standard play, 2 blocks + Core Set are viable.

Which means (3 sets + 3 sets + Core) which also means whatever you buy is usually viable for 2 years of standard constructed play. (this is what MTG does).

Don't confuse a Set with a Block, a Block consist of several sets.

wallofomens
05-31-2013, 05:51 PM
Also, there will be an "eternal" format(there is one in most TCGs, I'm assuming in HEX too), where you can play any card that has ever been released.

verozo
05-31-2013, 05:52 PM
Viable for "standard" play you mean?
For MTG Standard play, 2 blocks + Core Set are viable.

Which means (3 sets + 3 sets + Core) which also means whatever you buy is usually viable for 2 years of standard constructed play. (this is what MTG does).

Don't confuse a Set with a Block, a Block consist of several sets.

Ah my mistake. So is hex following how rotation works in mtg?

Tyrfang
05-31-2013, 05:55 PM
No idea if they will release core sets, but I believe blocks will rotate out after two years.

They're working on play-testing Set 2 at the moment, actually.

ShaolinRaven
05-31-2013, 08:04 PM
I expect that Set 1 will be the core set anyway. And probably remain the core set, since it is digital they never have to "reprint" Set 1 if they keep it core and they can always add alternate art/series cards from blocks that are not in standard that have become popular or fit back into their core design.

So it should be Set 1 + Block 1 + Block 2 if they go with the standard. And I hope they name the expansions and blocks after what the story arc is so we are not identifying expansions by sets otherwise its going to get confusing. Set 1 is core Set 2,3,4 is block one Set 5,6,7 is block two so when Set 8 comes out and phases out block 1 its phasing out Set 2-4, but set 1 is still in..... that could get silly.

Derium
05-31-2013, 08:06 PM
I like one set every 4 months instead of one every 3 like MTG. They feel as if they are being released way too fast.

LordRaven
05-31-2013, 10:21 PM
The fast set cycle was why I had to quit MTG. Too expensive to keep up with 4 sets a year and ended up with way too many cards just sitting around gathering dust when they cycled out. At least with digital when a card outlives its usefulness they won't take up so much storage space ( not to mention that those little cardboard pieces get really heavy by the thousands!)

SomeoneRandom
05-31-2013, 10:22 PM
I like one set every 4 months instead of one every 3 like MTG. They feel as if they are being released way too fast.

I think honestly 3 months is probably best, at least coming from someone who plays mostly limited. It really depends on the set/block though. Using MTG examples: Core sets are really boring to draft after 3-5 times, some other really aggressive sets are the same where you just draft the same boring aggressive deck each time because its overpowered and you can just force it most of the time. However, with certain sets that have great depth 4 months would be nice to let us draft it more :) We will see I guess.

Derium
05-31-2013, 10:25 PM
I think honestly 3 months is probably best, at least coming from someone who plays mostly limited. It really depends on the set/block though. Using MTG examples: Core sets are really boring to draft after 3-5 times, some other really aggressive sets are the same where you just draft the same boring aggressive deck each time because its overpowered and you can just force it most of the time. However, with certain sets that have great depth 4 months would be nice to let us draft it more :) We will see I guess.

I could see 4 months feeling like F-O-R-E-V-E-R if the draft cycle was terrible. If you're a MTGO drafter it's even worse, because even if the block before it was a solid draft, everyone still wants to draft the "hot new thing".

Tyrfang
05-31-2013, 10:27 PM
If there's enough demand for it, they might continue to have draft queues of any set even after they are no longer part of the current block for constructed.

Genocidal
05-31-2013, 10:38 PM

From the Kickstarter: "For experienced TCG players, we have designed the card set around Booster Draft and Limited play. We have engineered the card sets to launch three times a year, like a standard TCG. We have put a tremendous amount of work into creating the best possible online TCG experience, both in terms of balance and design, as well as a graphical polish."

I've got faith in their ability to balance sets well if their priority is Limited play, so hopefully they stick to their 3 set a year goal.

Punk
06-01-2013, 01:28 AM
No idea if they will release core sets, but I believe blocks will rotate out after two years.

They're working on play-testing Set 2 at the moment, actually.

The only thing Cryptozoic has stated was that there will be blocks. Three sets to a block. One new set out every 4 months, so a block is essentially 1 year and they only have the first two blocks in development at the time they stated this. They actually never said anything about anything rotating.

Hopefully they will make it last longer. I like having a huge arsenal of cards at my disposal for "standard" formats like the original WoW card game. It gave such a vast variety of decks in the field at any tournament.

Stok3d
06-01-2013, 07:18 AM
Cory goes over this in his last webcast. 3x sets to a block and he said they'd rotate out every 2 years.

SomeoneRandom
06-01-2013, 07:38 AM
From the Kickstarter: "For experienced TCG players, we have designed the card set around Booster Draft and Limited play. We have engineered the card sets to launch three times a year, like a standard TCG. We have put a tremendous amount of work into creating the best possible online TCG experience, both in terms of balance and design, as well as a graphical polish."

I've got faith in their ability to balance sets well if their priority is Limited play, so hopefully they stick to their 3 set a year goal.

It isn't that much about balance and more about boring things. I think you could say magic is fairly balanced for limited and the example that came to mind was Zendikar(a set based on mono color cards with a strong ability called Landfall that triggered various abilities whenever you played a land). The format was filled with 2/1s for 2 and highly aggressive bombs at 4 CMC which made the format all about coming out the gates fast, certain colors excelled at this (red / white) and since most of the best stuff was common it was easy to just force it and play nothing but the same boring decks in red / white or blue.

Compare this to a format like Alara block or Rise of the Eldrazi where the format was a bit slower, about 80-90% of the cards were playable, and multicolor decks were the strongest. It made every deck very different because the archetypes were mostly similar and even the aggressive decks really only beat you down by turn 6 or so. This let you play around with what was open, rather than just what was strong.

Finally there are Core set Drafts, because the Core Set is targeted as the learning point for new players Wizards made them very simple and easy to understand. This took away a lot of card flavor and you would end up with decks with mostly vanilla creatures that were boring and had no interaction, this too made the format dull REALLY fast. Most people I know wouldn't draft Core sets more than once or twice.

Unsurprising at all, people Loved Alara and Rise drafts, while they hated Zen drafts after about a month. However, the sets in general were all a lot of fun for the constructed format. It really just comes down to how the sets are crafted, I am just worried about the Zendikar-like sets, and having to draft them for 4 straight months :(

Punk
06-01-2013, 07:48 AM
Cory goes over this in his last webcast. 3x sets to a block and he said they'd rotate out every 2 years.

Oh yeah? There may of been a webcast that I missed.

Ashenor
06-01-2013, 07:50 AM
Every 4 months is a good time frame. It's always fun to start theory crafting how new spoiled cards are going to affect the current meta.

Punk
06-01-2013, 08:31 AM
Every 4 months is a good time frame. It's always fun to start theory crafting how new spoiled cards are going to affect the current meta.

Definitely one of my favorite aspects of a new set.

Since this game is digital only, Cryptozoic could not release the full spoiler so there are some cards that we never see until the day of the set release. I think this may add a very interesting aspect when everyone doesn't have a sheet of all the new "bombs" that are coming out and have already planned accordingly for them. Cryptozoic would be able to get away with this because most of the time the MTG cards that are leaked, are the physical cards.

Just a thought.

Keznath
06-01-2013, 08:37 AM
...just hope we could always play all cards at anytime !

Fireblast
06-01-2013, 08:39 AM
Definitely one of my favorite aspects of a new set.

Since this game is digital only, Cryptozoic could not release the full spoiler so there are some cards that we never see until the day of the set release. I think this may add a very interesting aspect when everyone doesn't have a sheet of all the new "bombs" that are coming out and have already planned accordingly for them. Cryptozoic would be able to get away with this because most of the time the MTG cards that are leaked, are the physical cards.

Just a thought.

The leaked infos come from the people who get spoiler lists alongside a NDA but still share them.

Also, showing previews/spoiler lists are a good incentive to buy the product, it's just marketting

~

Lafoote
06-06-2013, 05:41 AM
Since we'll be starting during the beta, shouldn't we expect the first expansion 4 months after launch? I think we'll be playing the first set for a while.

Tiuvath
06-06-2013, 07:49 AM
so after 1-2 years the cards purchased in kickstarter become useless?

useless in playing and no value for trading?

jaxsonbateman
06-06-2013, 07:57 AM
They'll never be useless for PvE or casual, and for those reasons they can be traded away. They could also have an 'eternal' constructed format which doesn't have a set limitation.

Tiuvath
06-06-2013, 08:53 AM
thats quite odd the online TCGs i played, cards never got obsolete. and some had many years worth of cards. granted most of them were of the eastern sort but still. Are we sure about this?

Willzyx
06-06-2013, 09:09 AM
thats quite odd the online TCGs i played, cards never got obsolete. and some had many years worth of cards. granted most of them were of the eastern sort but still. Are we sure about this?

Yes. And it's better that way. MTGO has a legacy format where you can play anything from the beginning of time (and I'm certain Hex will have such a mode also). But since such a large card base allows card interactions that were never planned or anticipated, a handful of "unfair" deck combos have surfaced over time and legacy is dominated by half a dozen or less unfair, unfun, and expensive decks. Two- or three-turn infinite combos abound, and a metagame that really doesn't evolve much at all.

Gotta tell ya, it's not fun. "Rotating out" keeps this kind of game a side-attraction without letting it ruin the main, standard game.

Fireblast
06-06-2013, 09:14 AM
The metagame gets boring without set rotation.

~