PDA

View Full Version : Concerning lag or delay of any kind for users outside the US

hoodieblanket
05-31-2013, 06:38 PM
Has anyone approached this question or verified how they are dealing with connections to the server and client side actions/delay we might encounter?

I imagine they aren't spending a lot of resources to deal with lag considering its a card game but for users outside the US, with 250 - 300 ping, it will be incredibly irritating if I have to deal with delay when moving cards/ navigating menus and conversations and generally anything that gives me a delay of 2 seconds before the game registers my actions.

Before I pledge I would like some feedback on how this is resolved with the game. You wouldn't think lag would be a big deal but for me I will simply not be able to play the game if I get delay from moving/playing cards. It will be me click-and-dragging a card and only 2 seconds later my actions reach the server. I don't think I can handle that.

funktion
05-31-2013, 06:45 PM
Moving cards / deck building will be client side. High ping won't effect that.

Lag will only slightly slow down your actual play. When you declare your attacks and then pass priority, it will pause for a second before your opponent to react.

I should clarify... you're playing a TCG... there is no "twitchy" style play like in a shooter or something.

hoodieblanket
05-31-2013, 06:46 PM
I can only hope that all navigation/client interaction is client-based with no lag/feedback delay and only the interactions with loading opponents actions are server based. That way you have instant feedback with actions you make and the delay is only on the opponents actions but because this is a card game with no requirement to have twitch movements/dodging etc, the lag would be near unseeable.

Mr.Funsocks
05-31-2013, 06:48 PM
I imagine that the auction house will still be annoying to browse. Always is in MMOs during laggy periods. But actually playing the game should be seamless unless you lag so hard you drop, but you'll be able to reconnect (limited time vs other players, but vs AI you can reconnect at any time).

Tyrfang
05-31-2013, 06:51 PM
There's no reason what-so-ever to waste bandwidth to perform stuff like client-navigation on the server side.

It could also pretty easily send you a few things like your next card a half second earlier than you really need it, or while the card animation is "drawing" from the deck, so you don't even notice the latency.

The only time you'd feel it is when you and your opponent is passing priority rapidly.

hoodieblanket
05-31-2013, 06:53 PM
Lag will only slightly slow down your actual play. When you declare your attacks and then pass priority, it will pause for a second before your opponent to react.

What do you mean exactly by slow down your actual play. Does it affect clicking cards/actions (on your end) and does that also translate the same lag to PVE. i.e if i enter raids/single battles will it be stupidly laggy navigating the map/paths and making conversation choices (such as selecting a choice and due to lag, the conversation or whatever doesn't progress untill 5-10seconds after).

Mr.Funsocks
05-31-2013, 06:56 PM
It would be silly if the UI required you send a request to the server to do anything. It would only slow down the response of things not stored on your client (ie any cards you can't see face up at the time). So you click to draw, and maybe it takes half a second longer to draw your card. But you click to zoom in on a faceup card, and there's no delay.

hoodieblanket
05-31-2013, 07:00 PM
It would be silly if the UI required you send a request to the server to do anything. It would only slow down the response of things not stored on your client (ie any cards you can't see face up at the time). So you click to draw, and maybe it takes half a second longer to draw your card. But you click to zoom in on a faceup card, and there's no delay.

Ya but the reason I ask is because it happens in games that require to be online/mmo style games where you have all actions first register with the server. My most reason example is from the new SimCity where loading the game menu/map creation or finding a game, all actions were server based. Even clicking the menu buttons had delay. I play from New Zealand so my connection to the US is like 200 - 300 ping. That translates to insane delay and really frustrates me.

All because they want to keep the system on their "inside loop" where no client side intervention could happen. Combat hackers/ DRM etc etc.

Niedar
06-01-2013, 12:36 AM
Ya but the reason I ask is because it happens in games that require to be online/mmo style games where you have all actions first register with the server. My most reason example is from the new SimCity where loading the game menu/map creation or finding a game, all actions were server based. Even clicking the menu buttons had delay. I play from New Zealand so my connection to the US is like 200 - 300 ping. That translates to insane delay and really frustrates me.

All because they want to keep the system on their "inside loop" where no client side intervention could happen. Combat hackers/ DRM etc etc.

Yeah, just no, if that was the case for Sim City it has nothing to do with them wanting to keep the system inside the loop but instead everything to do with them being idiots. The goal of always online DRM is perfectly accomplished without introducing a delay when clicking on a menu button.

Punk
06-01-2013, 01:14 AM
Has anyone approached this question or verified how they are dealing with connections to the server and client side actions/delay we might encounter?

I imagine they aren't spending a lot of resources to deal with lag considering its a card game but for users outside the US, with 250 - 300 ping, it will be incredibly irritating if I have to deal with delay when moving cards/ navigating menus and conversations and generally anything that gives me a delay of 2 seconds before the game registers my actions.

Before I pledge I would like some feedback on how this is resolved with the game. You wouldn't think lag would be a big deal but for me I will simply not be able to play the game if I get delay from moving/playing cards. It will be me click-and-dragging a card and only 2 seconds later my actions reach the server. I don't think I can handle that.

Actually plaything the game, there shouldn't be a problem. It will work like most digital TCG's. There may be a little delay between actions. One interesting thing I thought of regarding lag would be cards like this:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/000/588/889/9c2eb824538929213148faf00bea3ae5_large.jpg?1368504 865

(Note: This is the url to the image for the Mercenary Glorfenblort on Kickstarter. Not sure why they didn't just link the image from the hextcg.com website. EDIT: They uploaded this image on the Kickstarter project creation which would be on Amazons servers, duh.)

Mercenary Glorfenblort reads: "Passive: When an opposing troop dies, there's a 50% chance to get CHICKEN! (Click within 3 seconds to gain 2 health and charge your champion).

This makes me assume that the chicken will appear on the screen and move around, making it a reaction to click on him for this bonus. I am also assuming that we will see many cards in the future with similar unique interactions. Example: When you play this card, solve X puzzle within 10 seconds (a random type and difficulty of puzzle appears on the screen).

How a high latency to the Hex servers would affect this is a little hard to tell. It may be all ran Client side (this is what I am thinking) with a worse case scenario of having a short delay between the troop dying and the chicken appearing.

Luckily, it is a digital TCG, so there really shouldn't be a whole lot of data transmitted between you and the server per action.

madar
06-01-2013, 01:50 AM
"Any single player experience just uses save states"

Will the game require a big internet connection? I'm currently working 6 month a year in a inuit village with Satellite internet connection and wireless modems and I get a 5000 ping in online games like Path of Exile here. Wondering if the game will be playable in those condition (Drop out, Lags, ect).

The internet overhead of the game is very, very low. The amount of data that goes back and forth to the server is minimal, and we have a 3 minute reconnect timer, that if you lose connection during a game, you have 3 minutes to log back in and you will be automatically rejoined to that game. Any single player experience just uses save states, so you can actually rejoin almost any time after disconnecting.

MisterBurkes
06-01-2013, 01:51 AM
Server lag from outside the US is actually very important to address, because if you are experiencing 1 second delay on every action (and then you go through every phase), you are essentially wasting 10-15 seconds extra per turn, which adds up since you have a max turn timer / overall timer.