PDA

View Full Version : Game looks fantastic but...

Darken
05-31-2013, 07:14 PM
I watched the videos and this game looks beautifully done and really great and fun to play. Even with the expensive cost I would likely have been willing to lay down a significant amount of cash. The kickstarter pricing model is absolutely bonkers though. I could have easily lived with people spending alot getting many cards but the sheer magnitude of permanent bonuses you lose out on if you don't go for the $500 pack is unbelievable. Shelling out that much before a game is even launched is just out of the question and the bonuses you lose out on are such a turn off. Don't get me wrong the final product looks great otherwise I wouldn't have bothered to create a forum account but I do not understand your pricing model in the least. The best kickstarters I have participated in had really cool stuff for higher price points that didn't offer a massive power advantage. Best of luck...

wallofomens
05-31-2013, 07:17 PM
Y-Yasi..? Is that you?

Erebus
05-31-2013, 07:24 PM
Incorrect. There is no power advantage besides cheaper packs then buying at release and even that can be gotten around by frugal and intelligent trading/purchasing. Gonna miss out, but so glad you made an account just to say you won't be playing.

Derium
05-31-2013, 07:32 PM
Y-Yasi..? Is that you?

/nod

BossHoss
05-31-2013, 07:34 PM
I watched the videos and this game looks beautifully done and really great and fun to play. Even with the expensive cost I would likely have been willing to lay down a significant amount of cash. The kickstarter pricing model is absolutely bonkers though. I could have easily lived with people spending alot getting many cards but the sheer magnitude of permanent bonuses you lose out on if you don't go for the $500 pack is unbelievable. Shelling out that much before a game is even launched is just out of the question and the bonuses you lose out on are such a turn off. Don't get me wrong the final product looks great otherwise I wouldn't have bothered to create a forum account but I do not understand your pricing model in the least. The best kickstarters I have participated in had really cool stuff for higher price points that didn't offer a massive power advantage. Best of luck...

Now it is....

NastyNate
05-31-2013, 07:34 PM
Hi, Darken! I'm new to the Kickstarter scene, so can you please explain why you think the tiers are overpriced? I'm thinking of going Collecter tier and the value seems to be reasonable given the $250 pledge. I agree that it's a risky investment since the game development is still in it's early stages.

Tyrfang
05-31-2013, 07:37 PM
Not overpriced, he thinks the value/bonuses are too good that it would discourage non-KS pledgers from playing when the game goes live.

I don't think it's a huge issue for mobile players. They tend to...be enclosed in their own world.

PC gamers might be a bit irked, though.

Gwaer
05-31-2013, 07:39 PM
Let uncle Gwaer tell you a story; When I was a young man, in middle school or so some of my friends started playing this game called "Magic: the gathering" I played a couple hands of it with their cards, and it was okay... But I was a computer guy, I did video games, and didn't really care about this retro paper crap. Nonetheless I was with them in a shop and they were selling decks and packs and cards and all sorts of things, so I spent the money in my pocket on decks of cards intending to play someday... probably. As I discovered being me for a long time now, what that actually means is I just threw some money at a thing and never once thought about those decks or cards I bought ever again.

Until a couple years ago when I was cleaning some stuff out of some boxes in my grandmothers attic. bottom of a box 5 sealed unopened beta starter decks, and a full set of moxes.

Here's the last two I sold =) http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=gwaer&ftab=FeedbackAsSeller

The supposed moral of my story is that even in the physical card games, there a benefits for getting in early.

Gwaer
05-31-2013, 07:42 PM
The moral of the story was actually, that the $2,000 I am about to spend on this game and then probably never play it again, was entirely paid for by magic the gathering. So suck it wotc.

Tyrfang
05-31-2013, 07:43 PM
What the hell? You had 5 sealed beta starters and 4 moxes?

That's what, $10,000-ish?

Huh. What else is $10,000 around here...

BossHoss
05-31-2013, 07:44 PM
The moral of the story was actually, that the $2,000 I am about to spend on this game and then probably never play it again, was entirely paid for by magic the gathering. So suck it wotc.

I`d be curious to know how many of "us" are throwing large amounts of wizards money...

Derium

I would have paid you SO much more than $3k per beta starter =/

Talreth

word up swaglife breh they mad

NastyNate
05-31-2013, 07:45 PM
Ah, I see where he's coming from. I hope that isn't the case considering the large amount of people who'll be joining later. I think the best solution would be to join a guild with members who've already acquired KS benefits.

Tyrfang
05-31-2013, 07:46 PM
I would have paid you SO much more than $3k per beta starter =/

That was two beta starters for 3k.

He definitely could have gotten more, yes.

I think that's what they were worth a few years ago?

Gwaer
05-31-2013, 07:47 PM
that was 2 years ago, 1,500 a pop was actually a very good price at the time. I've still got a couple more to sell, but I think I will probably hold on to them for a couple more decades. =)

Tyrfang
05-31-2013, 07:48 PM
Ah, well, there you go.

Talreth
that was 2 years ago, 1,500 a pop was actually a very good price at the time. I've still got a couple more to sell, but I think I will probably hold on to them for a couple more decades. =)

I'll give you a kees for both

Derium

$1,500 was still REALLY low. Beta prices have actually been stable the past few years. I paid $1,400 for a beta draft about 8 years ago.

Gwaer
05-31-2013, 07:50 PM
$1,500 was still REALLY low. Beta prices have actually been stable the past few years. I paid $1,400 for a beta draft about 8 years ago.
=) I'm going to defer to myself on this one. I have quite a lot of experience with selling Beta starters and cards at this point.

Tyrfang
05-31-2013, 07:50 PM
Your beta draft cost more than my entire MTG collection.

NastyNate
05-31-2013, 07:52 PM
Probably a good idea considering the current economy.

Talreth
05-31-2013, 07:52 PM
Your beta draft cost more than my entire MTG collection.

and mine (combined)

Tyrfang
05-31-2013, 07:54 PM
BTW, I just checked Starcitygames, and they SELL booster packs (as a retailer) for $1199.99...and they're sold out. They don't even have starters. :)

Starter decks were randomized 45 cards? I remember they were not quite "random", and where the origin of God Packs came from. People occasionally opened literally an entire box of rares.

Derium
05-31-2013, 07:55 PM
=) I'm going to defer to myself on this one. I have quite a lot of experience with selling Beta starters and cards at this point.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=deriums&ftab=AllFeedback

I might have just a bit as well ;)

Derium
05-31-2013, 07:58 PM
BTW, I just checked Starcitygames, and they SELL booster packs (as a retailer) for $1199.99...and they're sold out. They don't even have starters. :)

Starter decks were randomized 45 cards? I remember they were not quite "random", and where the origin of God Packs came from. People occasionally opened literally an entire box of rares.

Alpha was much more known for that. but you could still get that "rare" swamp. UGH, that thing is why I don't crack those packs. That and the laces ;)

You can get a beta pack for around $900 from "people". But seeing you can search them VERY easily, I wouldn't touch it. One of my distributors has a few loose beta packs for that price point, so tempting, but still I do not trust them.

BossHoss
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=deriums&ftab=AllFeedback

Check mate Sergei...

Tyrfang
If I could go back 20* years and tell myself to spend all my money on trading cards and then leave them alone for 10 years and make 4000% profit, I wonder if I'd even believe it.

Gwaer
05-31-2013, 07:59 PM

I don't see any beta starter decks on the first page, and I'm not looking any harder than that =) Your experience looks rather diluted to my hyper focus.

Derium
05-31-2013, 08:02 PM
I don't see any beta starter decks on the first page, and I'm not looking any harder than that =) Your experience looks rather diluted to my hyper focus.

It's probably impossible to make a living on just Beta starters... But I own a MTG Brick and Mortar store. So yeah, you might focus on Beta, but it's literally my job to know MTG. Not trying to argue, I just wanted to throw my MTG feedback up too!

P.S. I wouldn't sell Beta starters, I'd crack them instantly.

Gwaer
05-31-2013, 08:08 PM
It's probably impossible to make a living on just Beta starters... But I own a MTG Brick and Mortar store. So yeah, you might focus on Beta, but it's literally my job to know MTG. Not trying to argue, I just wanted to throw my MTG feedback up too!

P.S. I wouldn't sell Beta starters, I'd crack them instantly.

There are several brick and mortars that list them for egregious amounts, troll and toad have them at 4,000 a piece. For betas! Alpha, maybe. They still only want to pay 900 to buy them. They're mostly just crooks, though.

Tyrfang
05-31-2013, 08:09 PM
You should ask the guy who bought the lot from you if he opened any moxes or lotuses or duals.

stiii
05-31-2013, 08:10 PM
Incorrect. There is no power advantage besides cheaper packs then buying at release and even that can be gotten around by frugal and intelligent trading/purchasing. Gonna miss out, but so glad you made an account just to say you won't be playing.

How exactly is the +1 cards in raid not a power advantage?

whythelastman
05-31-2013, 08:11 PM
@Gwaer I should have listened to you years ago O_O

Derium
I hate the stores that list things at a HUGE increase and hope for desperate people.

Tyrfang

PvE only, I guess?

Gwaer
You should ask the guy who bought the lot from you if he opened any moxes or lotuses or duals.
Actually, the people that bought them from me were a japanese ebay partner. I assume to resell in japan? I have no idea what they ended up doing with them, but they didn't speak much english

Tyrfang
05-31-2013, 08:12 PM
Actually, the people that bought them from me were a japanese ebay partner. I assume to resell in japan? I have no idea what they ended up doing with them, but they didn't speak much english

Oh, you mean...you don't speak Nippon-go?

Gwaer
05-31-2013, 08:13 PM
For one, it's pve only, and only raids at that. For 2 it is everyone in the party that gets the advantage, so all you have to do is make friends with someone with RL and you're golden. I know that would be hard for you, but for a normal person it shouldn't be too bad.

Gwaer
05-31-2013, 08:13 PM
Oh, you mean...you don't speak Nippon-go?
I lived in tokyo for 2 years, I know like 4 phrases... You can navigate their entire culture by just saying sumimasen anyway, the rest is just kind of a waste of time.

Derium
05-31-2013, 08:15 PM

did they live in Florida? I get A LOT of Japanese resellers buying from me, and their warehouses for some reason are always in Florida.

EDIT: just like their language cards are worth 25%+ more here, ours is worth an increase there too.

Tyrfang
05-31-2013, 08:16 PM
For one, it's pve only, and only raids at that. For 2 it is everyone in the party that gets the advantage, so all you have to do is make friends with someone with RL and you're golden. I know that would be hard for you, but for a normal person it shouldn't be too bad.

Actually, the +1 to starting hand buff at the start of the game stacks. The blessing constant doesn't, though.

I lived in tokyo for 2 years, I know like 4 phrases... You can navigate their entire culture by just saying sumimasen anyway, the rest is just kind of a waste of time.

Don't forget Domo.

Maybe you should crack open those betas on camera.

Gwaer
05-31-2013, 08:18 PM
Actually, the +1 to starting hand buff at the start of the game stacks. The blessing constant doesn't, though.

Don't forget Domo.

Maybe you should crack open those betas on camera.

That's true, multiple raid leaders grouping together will definitely have an extra free mulligan or two if they want it.

Tyrfang
05-31-2013, 08:18 PM
That's true, multiple raid leaders grouping together will definitely have an extra free mulligan or two if they want it.

Or, if using cardboard samurai, they can just keep it ALLLLLL.

Madican
05-31-2013, 08:19 PM
Roving bands of Cardboard Samurais beating the crap out of raid bosses for no real reason.

DanTheMeek
05-31-2013, 08:23 PM
My own opinion, the poster, whoever he/she actually is, does have a legitimate concern. Its not a HUGE concern to me, but it is something that worries me. Exclusive art and better per pack purchase costs I think late comers can live with (though even exclusive art can some times ruffle the feathers of extreme completionists/collectors) but exclusive, completely unique cards as well as abilities that clearly give an advantage (like drawing an extra card at the start of the game), knowing this stuff exists and they either can't afford it, or (post kickstarter) that its not available to them will annoy and maybe even push away potential players.

Again, its not going to push away me even though I can't afford to put that much into this game, I've got a family to take care of and bills to pay so my 120 investment was already more then I'd normally invest in a game these days, and I completely understand that these advantages are for single player mode and thus do no "harm" the experience of people who do not have the benefits. yet that's not how some people will look at it, and I fear that they'll feel that they are disadvantaged by not having the same perks and access to the same exclusive cards and write the game off as "pay to win" or something that its too late to join because they missed out.

stiii
05-31-2013, 08:25 PM

Nothing you said refutes my point. He said there isn't ANY power level advantage. This is not true.

No about of miserable insults from you makes me wrong it just makes you look like the pitiful forum troll you are. If you don't want people to point out when you are wrong then you should make more of an effort to be right rather than lashing out like a petulant child.

stiii
05-31-2013, 08:26 PM
My own opinion, the poster, whoever he/she actually is, does have a legitimate concern. Its not a HUGE concern to me, but it is something that worries me. Exclusive art and better per pack purchase costs I think late comers can live with (though even exclusive art can some times ruffle the feathers of extreme completionists/collectors) but exclusive, completely unique cards as well as abilities that clearly give an advantage (like drawing an extra card at the start of the game), knowing this stuff exists and they either can't afford it, or (post kickstarter) that its not available to them will annoy and maybe even push away potential players.

Again, its not going to push away me even though I can't afford to put that much into this game, I've got a family to take care of and bills to pay so my 120 investment was already more then I'd normally invest in a game these days, and I completely understand that these advantages are for single player mode and thus do no "harm" the experience of people who do not have the benefits. yet that's not how some people will look at it, and I fear that they'll feel that they are disadvantaged by not having the same perks and access to the same exclusive cards and write the game off as "pay to win" or something that its too late to join because they missed out.

Gwaer seems to really hate me from another thread in case it wasn't really clear.

Tyrfang
05-31-2013, 08:27 PM
Raid leader is probably the only benefit that offers a true power advantage that cannot be equated in-game as of yet.

That doesn't mean that in the future there won't be some similar sort of buff that's acquired in game. I somewhat expect them to have buffs like food that give you extra cards at the start of the game.

Gwaer
05-31-2013, 08:43 PM
Raid leader is probably the only benefit that offers a true power advantage that cannot be equated in-game as of yet.

That doesn't mean that in the future there won't be some similar sort of buff that's acquired in game. I somewhat expect them to have buffs like food that give you extra cards at the start of the game.
We have no idea what gold will actually buy in game terms yet, I expect there will be all sorts of pve buffs as well, that will provide similar "advantages"

As for your point stii I am not the person that said there was no power advantage. That was someone else. I simply stated that it was easy to get that power advantage yourself, if you weren't so insufferable. I don't remember what thread it was in that I decided you were insufferable. But I'm sure it's a reasoned and rational belief based on quite a lot of evidence.

BlindMan
05-31-2013, 08:51 PM
I don't remember what thread it was in that I decided you were insufferable. But I'm sure it's a reasoned and rational belief based on quite a lot of evidence.

I lol'd

stiii
06-01-2013, 09:20 AM
As for your point stii I am not the person that said there was no power advantage. That was someone else. I simply stated that it was easy to get that power advantage yourself, if you weren't so insufferable. I don't remember what thread it was in that I decided you were insufferable. But I'm sure it's a reasoned and rational belief based on quite a lot of evidence.

When did you start using reason? Certainly not in this thread. You decided you hated me when I pointed out how terrible your argument was and you went off in a huff. I guess maybe this happens so often you don't even remember where it was or what it was about.

Talreth
06-01-2013, 09:27 AM
There's going to be so goddamn many exclusive cards it won't even matter. I don't even understand why people would get upset about these things. They designed the game to be completed with the in game content, for backing them early we got a couple exclusive cards, which may or may not be useful at all. Really the only answer I have to people two years from now that didn't back the KS is sucks to suck. And obviously that they could have backed two years ago and it's their fault for not doing it. sucks to suckx2

Gwaer
06-01-2013, 09:29 AM
When did you start using reason? Certainly not in this thread. You decided you hated me when I pointed out how terrible your argument was and you went off in a huff. I guess maybe this happens so often you don't even remember where it was or what it was about.
Now you're just a liar. I never leave an argument in a huff.

stiii
06-01-2013, 09:35 AM
Now you're just a liar. I never leave an argument in a huff.

You said I was a liar and then left in a huff without explaining what you were talking about. I'm not a liar because you can't remember what you've done and can't justify any of your own points.

Maybe I need to explain this "like" you are a child. Your word is not good enough. You need to explain why you are correct when you make statements. Otherwise you are just another donk full of hot air. You can say all kinds of rubbish, it doesn't make them true.

Talreth
06-01-2013, 09:38 AM
You said I was a liar and then left in a huff without explaining what you were talking about. I'm not a liar because you can't remember what you've done and can't justify any of your own points.

Maybe I need to explain this "like" you are a child. Your word is not good enough. You need to explain why you are correct when you make statements. Otherwise you are just another donk full of hot air. You can say all kinds of rubbish, it doesn't make them true.

Now that we're sufficiently off topic, in the geekallstar interview Cory said that part of the reasoning behind using mtg's mana system was that in wow the randomness of mana screw is replaced by getting curve screwed, but then he went on to say someone else at the company (might have been Ben Stoll but I could definitely be wrong) could go at length about the advantages of the mana system they picked so he'd prolly be a better one to talk to if you can.

Gwaer
06-01-2013, 09:54 AM

You're welcome to link me to where I left in a "huff"?

stiii
06-01-2013, 10:09 AM
Now that we're sufficiently off topic, in the geekallstar interview Cory said that part of the reasoning behind using mtg's mana system was that in wow the randomness of mana screw is replaced by getting curve screwed, but then he went on to say someone else at the company (might have been Ben Stoll but I could definitely be wrong) could go at length about the advantages of the mana system they picked so he'd prolly be a better one to talk to if you can.

Yeah at best he explained it very poorly. He roughly said this,

The problem with the wow system was that it replaced getting mana screwed with getting curved screwed. So instead of not hitting your land drops you needed to hit a spell that cost the right amount for each turn. Otherwise you'd fall to far behind and this lead to most games ending by/on turn 8.

The problem is this is just not true. Plenty of high level wow decks were built around the long game aiming for more like t12 and sometimes it was impossible to win by T8. These decks were reactive answer decks so they didn't follow a curve at all. There are of course aggro/mid range decks that aim to win by T8 but that is also true of magic deck. A aggro magic deck is clearly planning on winning by T8 too.

This is way more true in limited than constructed. But it doesn't have to be in the past wow limited formats have been slower and with more late game action. The current format is very fast and curve based but if this is such a bad thing they could have prevented it, as other limited formats have been different.

Fireblast
06-01-2013, 10:12 AM
What he meant :
WoW resource system doesn't work with powercreeping :D

~

stiii
06-01-2013, 10:13 AM
You're welcome to link me to where I left in a "huff"?

As you wish

http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=24065&page=9

And yes saying you are a liar then leaving before the other person can respond is leaving in a huff. If your argument had any logic you'd be able to explain what you were talking about when asked. Leaving just shows you can't support what you are saying.

darkbreaker
06-01-2013, 10:38 AM
/derailed
/thread

stiii
06-01-2013, 10:42 AM
/derailed
/thread

This forum could really do with some mods.

Gwaer
06-01-2013, 12:05 PM
As you wish

http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=24065&page=9

And yes saying you are a liar then leaving before the other person can respond is leaving in a huff. If your argument had any logic you'd be able to explain what you were talking about when asked. Leaving just shows you can't support what you are saying.
Oh! You're that guy. Yea, you're not worth talking to. I didn't leave in a huff I realized you were just going to change your story repeatedly, even when I linked you saying something you said you didn't say you just kept getting farther and farther out there. I realized you're a waste of time. Thanks for reminding me, so I can avoid not wasting any more time on you.

Genocidal
06-01-2013, 12:08 PM
Can you guys take your pissing contest to PMs or something? The rest of us legitimately don't care.

stiii
06-01-2013, 01:49 PM
Oh! You're that guy. Yea, you're not worth talking to. I didn't leave in a huff I realized you were just going to change your story repeatedly, even when I linked you saying something you said you didn't say you just kept getting farther and farther out there. I realized you're a waste of time. Thanks for reminding me, so I can avoid not wasting any more time on you.

Yeah you are one of those guys that don't know what words mean and get all upset when you get called on this. Just because you can't understand me doesn't mean I changed my story. If I did you'd be able to quote the TWO thing I said that contradict each other. Instead you left the thread in a huff, a pretty common troll tactic when called on their bullshit.

In a similar vein you didn't link anything. Literally your post has no link in it. Words have a meaning and when you change their meanings people tend to fail to understand you. Maybe when you said liar oyu really mean person who disagrees with you, who knows?

Therefore I'm going to explain that you avoiding me would mean you stop replying to my posts at all. This might seem obvious but I'll probably to link this later when you don't.

Would you like me to explain what any other words mean?

BlindMan
06-01-2013, 01:51 PM
can you guys take your pissing contest to pms or something? The rest of us legitimately don't care.

qft

Kietay
06-01-2013, 03:55 PM
I am the new leader of this thread. It's now about why humans are the best race always forever.

BlindMan
06-01-2013, 03:59 PM
If you'll look to the right side of your browser, you'll see a bloodthirsty bunny with a bow and arrow who begs to differ.

Kietay
06-01-2013, 04:50 PM
Bunnies don't even have thumbs you know. They can't even operate a bow. Humans invented the bow, along with every other technology of war employed by other races. Humans are smarter, prettier, and craftier.

Also I am a human.

verozo
06-01-2013, 05:49 PM
What happens after death? The dead rises.

Undead rules.

EntropyBall
06-01-2013, 06:16 PM
I hope not too many people take the opinion that the OP did about this KS campaign. Most people I've showed it to have remarked that it was very well structured and well managed, so I don't think its a very common opinion.

There do seem to be a decent amount of vocal people on the forums who insist on being able to acquire everything by only spending money in the game. Listening to Cory's most recent interview was actually sort of sad. He clearly likes the idea of giving out promos and other cool bonuses that do not confer a competitive advantage, but is getting hesitant about doing it because a few people have said they don't like it.

Kietay
06-01-2013, 06:35 PM
Whether or not they give promos will not affect the game. If they don't, a few people will be slightly disappointed about no cute prizes. If they do, a few people will be annoyed they can't get some non competitive card. Most people will still have fun collecting everything else and adventuring.

TheWrathofShane
06-01-2013, 06:50 PM
Hes talking about the raid leader/guildmaster/dungeon crawler I think.

Its true, these buffs, esp the raid leader, is going to be ridiculous for PvE. Starting with an extra card??? GG
But besides Wild Wild west and co-op dungeons, PvE is more of a single player experience isolated from PvP, at least from what I have gathered.

Gen91
06-02-2013, 02:26 AM
Listening to Cory's most recent interview was actually sort of sad. He clearly likes the idea of giving out promos and other cool bonuses that do not confer a competitive advantage, but is getting hesitant about doing it because a few people have said they don't like it.

It is their game, so they can decide whether or not they give people who participate in game conventions get some free stuff or not.

He is kindly enough to ask the community about their opinion
and like we saw in the poll 40% dislike the idea of giving stuff somehow related to physical merchandise etc.
(40% is not a few people!)
If they make things available via payed stream, like Blizzard does it, it shouldn't be a problem,
cause it stays pure digital.

Slish
06-02-2013, 02:42 AM
I also agree with OP. Many people seems to be talking about possible real direct advantages KS people has. Such as raid leader, guildmaster, dungeon crawler etc.

But with so many people having a multitude of booster packs right from the start and possible primal packs....
I think it will be a quite annoying experience as a non-KS guy with just small/average amount of money. Who buys like a starter deck or 2 and some boosters, and goes into some pvp games and finds out that he is always up against full rare decks..

Kroan
06-02-2013, 03:20 AM
Cryptozoic already said they would make sure that budgetdecks would be possible to be competitive. So it takes a little trust. Next to it, you can always PvP through Draft and Sealed, in which it doesn't matter how many cards you have. Lastly the high amount of boosters only make it so that it will be easier to get into PvP, since cards will be cheaper on the AH.