PDA

View Full Version : When will Alpha begin?

ConnorJS
06-01-2013, 02:00 AM
I was feeling really impatient with the Beta not starting until September but then saw that backers will now be getting Alpha access. Has there been any indication as to when this will begin? Will it be straight after the Kickstarter or in a couple of months?

WizBang
06-01-2013, 02:06 AM
Before Beta :) They haven't said yet.

Fireblast
06-01-2013, 02:07 AM
Guessing July/August.

~

ConnorJS
06-01-2013, 02:15 AM
Ahh, they'll probably give an estimate after the kickstarter. I really hope they manage to hit the dates they give though, can't wait for this game! :)

wallofomens
06-01-2013, 02:18 AM
can't wait for this game! :)

You are definitely not alone, buddy! :)

TheDiv
06-01-2013, 02:24 AM
Remember we need to hit that 1.8mil mark first though!

My guess would be late July/August. I think the stream on Monday will give us a solid idea of how ready the game is :)

MasterN64
06-01-2013, 02:30 AM
I would say when its ready. I still hope it doesn't burn them in the end.

ConnorJS
06-01-2013, 03:34 AM
If we play during Alpha I'm guessing we wouldn't be using the cards from the KS rewards, just get given cards then a wipe at beta?

Jarric
06-01-2013, 03:36 AM
Connor I believe they already said none of the KS stuff will take effect until beta. Alpha will just be a big teaser of getting us ready. Also a way to use the KS backers as bug testers.

hexinggems
06-01-2013, 04:01 AM
And people who have never played a game or tested software in alpha will need to be in the right frame of mind, many many things will not work properly and bugs will occur all over the place. I'm hoping people will understand that and not whine when a million things go wrong. Alpha is a far ways off from beta, which is still a far ways off from release :)

ConnorJS
06-01-2013, 04:30 AM
Yeah I don't understand how you can complain with free pre release gameplay... Bug testing should be fun, with 10,000 backers too that's a lot of bug testers. I think the game will move forward quite quickly, the devs and designers seem to be doing a great job.

Rapkannibale
06-01-2013, 04:42 AM
In reality there are a lot less than 10k backers since a lot of people have pledged multiple times. It should still be a lot of people that hopefully will help catch some bugs before beta. :) I am guessing July for Alpha.

averagedog
06-01-2013, 05:53 AM
We still need to make it to 1800000 guys...

Hieronymous
06-01-2013, 07:37 AM
My guess is that "Alpha" will be in September.

OysterPrime
06-01-2013, 07:47 AM
My guess is that "Alpha" will be in September.
I think it will be a little earlier than that, considering CZE has said that the beta was scheduled for September. I think we could see the beta in July or August, assuming the stretch goal is met.

traeki
06-01-2013, 10:04 AM
We still need to make it to 1800000 guys...

Well, unless all six of the remaining days are our lowest ever, we'll be pulling in north of 30k/day. There are 6 full days left (almost to the hour), and less than 190k to go.

On top of that, KS projects typically get a big uptick the last couple of days.

Putting that all together, the 1.8M goal is pretty much a sure thing.

That said, there are two more goals after it, and I'm foaming at the mouth in the hopes that we might hit those as well. That's where things might get hairy...

Verdant
06-01-2013, 11:49 AM
We barely cover 1.8M as it is, I don't think next goals will be reached unless there is humongous amount of pledges in the last days of KS.

WSzaboPeter
06-01-2013, 12:35 PM
We barely cover 1.8M as it is, I don't think next goals will be reached unless there is humongous amount of pledges in the last days of KS.
I think 1.8M is a sure thing. Most likely the next goal will be at 2 million sharp. That would be also within reach, because the very last days usually net a lot higher pledge numbers. The 3rd one, I think at 2.3million is also possible, but not guaranteed.

Tyrfang
06-01-2013, 12:37 PM
Well, later than June, earlier than September...

IndigoShade
06-01-2013, 12:39 PM
Before Beta :) They haven't said yet.

Actually they have said! On their KS page Derium said "Give us a ballpark for Alpha!... If it happens ;)"
to which Creator Cryptozoic Entertainment responded "Sometime before beta =)"

So there you have it, the official announcement!

ImaginaryFox
06-01-2013, 01:01 PM
Yup, I'm sure we'll hear it shouted from the rooftops when they say when Alpha will be. They may still be figuring out the logistics of when would be best to give a realistic time estimate, though the game seems reasonably playable currently I don't know if they're still working out any major bugs. They certainly wouldn't want to give everyone access if they know there's some kind of bug that commonly crashes the game for instance.
I just hope people don't go around making a ruckus about how broken the game and how nobody should play it is if there are still significant bugs in Alpha. This is usually why they don't always let the masses into these. I will enjoy the early look though.

Estar1
06-01-2013, 01:03 PM
Yup am expecting plenty of card interaction bugs, and the alwalys fun im having a great game going and poof server crash.

nearlysober
06-01-2013, 07:41 PM
When you're doing an Alpha test, you just need to make a slightly different game out of the game.

Finding a bug, especially one that no one else has reported yet and filing it should be a challenge. You figured out something no one else had figured out yet, and in doing it you're helping make the product better. And if you really wanna be helpful about it, you try to make it happen a 2nd time with the same repro steps so you can really narrow it down.

And... if all that stuff above is actually fun/interesting to you, you may have a career as a Software Test Engineer ahead of you :) It's not everyone's cup of tea.

Keep in mind, when most games go into "BETA" test phase... what companies are really doing is stress testing the product that is pretty well polished already.

BossHoss
06-01-2013, 08:17 PM
I`d love to see a leader board incorporated into the alpha. Make it rewarding to find bugs. Maybe offer boosters, drafts, vip subs, etc. And maybe throw in a free tier package to the leader. All the bugs would be crushed pretty quick this way...

Gwaer
06-01-2013, 08:36 PM
Producer tier for most reproducible original bug reports! I'll find all the bugs!

Liokae
06-01-2013, 08:54 PM
City of Heroes had a thing like that- there was an exclusive badge (badges being the CoH achievement system) that could only be granted by staff for finding a significant bug. "Bug Hunter".

The most notable one I remember was a trick somebody found where they could get an infinite number of enhancement slots on a power via a respec process, then loaded up every single slot with extra damage, then one-shot the toughest raid boss in the entire game.

Madican
06-01-2013, 09:08 PM
City of Heroes had a thing like that- there was an exclusive badge (badges being the CoH achievement system) that could only be granted by staff for finding a significant bug. "Bug Hunter".

The most notable one I remember was a trick somebody found where they could get an infinite number of enhancement slots on a power via a respec process, then loaded up every single slot with extra damage, then one-shot the toughest raid boss in the entire game.

Reminds me of World of Warcraft's Reckoning bomb. Basically the ability functioned that every time you were crit you'd generate a stack with no limit on the number of stacks. When you auto-attacked it would unleash another one instantly for each stack. Some guy got several rogues to beat on him for hours, generating a huge number of stacks, then walked up to a world boss and proceeded to crash the server because it couldn't process how much damage it was taking. Even though it was a one-shot the health bar slowly went down in chunks as it tried to comprehend what just happened.