PDA

View Full Version : Developers approach to balancing

shanDz
06-01-2013, 03:14 AM
Really excited about Hex, was a huge MTG fan. One of my biggest concerns about Hex is; that being digital and introducing all these crazy mechanics does allow for some out of this world cards to be made, but what is the developers approach to balancing. Have there been any articles or discussions about it? I intend on playing mainly PvP and I feel that if the game isn't balanced very well from the get go we lose out on some complexity in deck crafting. I know Cryptozoic is a big company and have probably thought about it but just some official feedback would be good, Diablo 3 burnt me bad :p.

Jarric
06-01-2013, 03:39 AM
I am sure the Balance of the game is focused around PVP. As in PVP you can't use GEAR. Gear in this game is what intriques me but it is also what makes a lot of the imbalanced combos possible. although they are fun and CZE would love to see what it's player base can come up with I am sure they can see the potential for that. the PVE with gear decks are where they let thier imagination run wild, but they I am sure will keep the PVP in balance check.

Stok3d
06-01-2013, 07:32 AM
Listen to the latest podcast. Cory goes over this in detail.

ShaolinRaven
06-01-2013, 08:09 AM
I really liked Cory's break down on having fun power decks but not taking it too far. The devs seem to know what power curve they want and how to achieve it.

MugenMusou
06-01-2013, 09:06 AM
As suggested by above post, Podcast talks about it. Basically, I got feeling that the main reason why we even have PvP cards are for the balance. PvP cards are tightly balanced; whereas, PvE cards are where you can have amazing combo's. As OP says, Cryptozoic have had an experience with major TCG building, so they are certainly aware of card balance.

Also you probably know but all the equipment are there when you use PvP on PvE environment, but you cannot use it during PvP so that won't break a balance.

Fireblast
06-01-2013, 09:08 AM
Cory gives guidelines, but from what we've already seen, it seems possible to turn 1-2 kill in PvE.
(Spectral Lotus, Everything is artifacts, artifacts are cheaper, you draw when you play an artifcat)

~

ShaolinRaven
06-01-2013, 10:30 AM
Cory gives guidelines, but from what we've already seen, it seems possible to turn 1-2 kill in PvE.
(Spectral Lotus, Everything is artifacts, artifacts are cheaper, you draw when you play an artifcat)

~

Well Lotus is a PvE card which is where they can go crazy with card combos and in the interview Cory said they will never drop a casting cost to 0...though that kind of contradicts Lady Victoria's "reveal in starting hand" mechanic, so maybe he was talking about other cards decreasing your global resource cost. So you will always have to pay at least 1 resource. Granted if you play an artifact deck then having all of them cheap still means you can drop them as you draw them.