PDA

View Full Version : PvP decks.

Grim
06-01-2013, 09:57 AM
Hey guys,

I've got a couple of questions on issues that have been bugging me despite the fact that I am immensely excited about this game. As a disclaimer, I am a Game Designer by profession but have very little experience with TCG's compared to most of you.

To be honest I was never a huge fan of Magic, which, to some of you, may seem like sacrilege. I really enjoyed the WOW TCG when it first came out, primarily because it follows standard Blizzard design philosophy - "Easy to learn and difficult to master". My problem with TCG's has always been balance. I like figuring out how to build an awesome deck or just try out combinations and see how they stack up against your typical power deck that everyone knows to work well.

In WOW TCG tournaments I quickly noticed trends that were developed every time a new "block of cards" hit the shelves. Players quickly figured out optimal builds and these decks dominated the tournaments. This seems like poor card/game design to me rather than the case of players being ingenious and figuring out how to build the perfect deck. If 90% of tournament winners are all rolling a Druid healing deck it's safe to assume that there is a very good reason for it; especially if the same guys were all playing the Warrior deck during the previous tournaments.

On the other hand, I've played the Game of Thrones LCG and it is one of my all time favorite card games of all time. It is a very deep game that is balanced perfectly for 1 v 1 (joust) as well as 4 player or 5 player games. I strongly suggest you check it out if you love card games.

So here are my questions. I know that we aren't able to use our crazy PvE decks in PvP. This makes perfect sense and makes balancing much easier. I love raiding in MMO's, figuring out how to defeat a new boss, waiting for that epic loot to drop, mastering the encounters on Heroic difficulty (in case of WoW), etc.

However, the point of all this raiding for most people is that the loot obtained can later be used in PvP. You spend a lot of time with your friends defeating these epic creatures to get an awesome sword that you can use in an arena and chop someone's head off (I know that this changed in later expansions of WoW but this has been a pretty standard MMO model for some time across multiple games). How will this work in Hex? Will we still be able to obtain PvP loot from Dungeons and Raids or will the two types of cards be completely exclusive to both PvE and PvP respectively (meaning you get PvP cards in PvP and PvE cards in PvE)? Where are we going to find those epic PvP cards that everyone is looking for?

Apologies for the wall of text :)

-Grim

jaxsonbateman
06-01-2013, 10:02 AM
They can't make significantly good PvP stuff obtainable through PvE, because that makes PvE a 'gateway' to top level PvP, and would alienate those players who only want to PvP and have little care for PvE. As you would've noticed in WoW these days, if they don't want to an arena player doesn't have to touch a raid. They can simply PvP their butt off at 90, and do no PvE whatsoever.

The 'crossover' between PvE and PvP is as follows:

For PvE, you can use your PvP cards to build stronger decks.
For PvP, you can farm loot in PvE, use it to gain currency (platinum I believe), and then use this on the AH to buy cards you need.

Thelaasa
06-01-2013, 10:06 AM
So, from what I read, it seems your questions are:
1)How do we acquire the loot for PVP?
2)Where are the best PVP cards found?
Assuming that is what you are asking, my understanding of the current system is as follows:
1)equipment is used only in PVE and the PVP format that allows for the use of PVE cards. In more traditional PVP formats (draft, sealed, constructed, etc.), equipment is not used at all
2)all PVP cards come from booster packs.

Lochar
06-01-2013, 10:06 AM
They can't make significantly good PvP stuff obtainable through PvE, because that makes PvE a 'gateway' to top level PvP, and would alienate those players who only want to PvP and have little care for PvE. As you would've noticed in WoW these days, if they don't want to an arena player doesn't have to touch a raid. They can simply PvP their butt off at 90, and do no PvE whatsoever.

The 'crossover' between PvE and PvP is as follows:

For PvE, you can use your PvP cards to build stronger decks.
For PvP, you can farm loot in PvE, use it to gain currency (platinum I believe), and then use this on the AH to buy cards you need.

No, PVE currency is gold, which cannot be directly spent to buy PvP stuff. Now, if someone is selling PvP material for gold in the AH that's different. But there's no direct method to use anything you get out of the PvE in a PvP unless it's the Wild West format.

Grim
06-01-2013, 10:07 AM
That's what I was looking for. Thanks guys.