PDA

View Full Version : Gold vs Platinum - what each is for?

Stig
06-01-2013, 11:22 AM
I'm sure I just missed this somewhere in an interview/article, but what exactly is the difference between gold and platinum?

I'm guessing Gold = PvE earned from dungeons, spent on PvE only items/cards? Platinum = premium currency, spent on PvP items, boosters, etc?

Mostly I'm curious if there are going to be ways to use Gold in any way to help you in PvP (purchasing cards on the AH, converting to platinum to buy boosters)? I'm currently pledged at King + DC. I am interested in PvE, however my main interest is definitely in PvP. If there isn't going to be a real way to use the DC bonuses to help out (even in a small way) my PvP game, I'm thinking of moving over to Collector for the alt PvP cards.

Any thoughts here? Much appreciated :)

Lochar
06-01-2013, 11:24 AM
There's no direct way to get PvP stuff with the PvE gold.

However, from what I understand, that does not stop you from trying to sell PvE items for platinum, or buying things players list in the AH if they put the price in gold.

Niedar
06-01-2013, 11:24 AM
You can buy pvp items on the AH with gold if people are selling them there. You cant buy anything pvp from the store with gold though.

Stig
06-01-2013, 11:28 AM
Thanks, exactly what I needed to know :) Guess now it's time to make some decisions.

Ashenor
06-01-2013, 11:32 AM
This first set of pvp cards will have a very low overall value to them. People have tons of packs to open an d i am sure the AH will be flooded with pvp cards for sale in set 1 for cheap.

Set 2 will be another story, and prices will be a lot higher in the AH for gold i am sure.

Stig
06-01-2013, 11:37 AM
I guess I'm curious if people will even consider selling PvP cards for gold.

Madican
06-01-2013, 11:40 AM
Of course they will. It's an inevitability of the market.

BossHoss
06-01-2013, 11:40 AM
This first set of pvp cards will have a very low overall value to them. People have tons of packs to open an d i am sure the AH will be flooded with pvp cards for sale in set 1 for cheap.

Set 2 will be another story, and prices will be a lot higher in the AH for gold i am sure.

I agree... I think the PvE cards and loot are going to be a higher value for the first little bit until the grinding produces enough for the demand...

I wonder what the market will think of the value of these cards for "keep" defense decks, etc

Stig
06-01-2013, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the insight. I'm still hoping to snipe a GK before this is all over, but I think I'll stick with DC if I can't manage it.

Lochar
06-01-2013, 12:22 PM
I guess I'm curious if people will even consider selling PvP cards for gold.

Quite likely. There's also likely going to be a thriving market for Legendary equipment on the platinum AH.

Talreth
06-01-2013, 12:25 PM
Quite likely. There's also likely going to be a thriving market for Legendary equipment on the platinum AH.

Ew. why would anyone ever buy something they could farm.

Genocidal
06-01-2013, 12:27 PM
Expected ~5 hours per dungeon, with a small chance of getting legendary gear and it's pretty obvious why. Time isn't unlimited and people value their time differently.

Avaian
06-01-2013, 12:28 PM

It depends how difficult it is to farm for legendary equipment. And if a later Raid/Dungeon was released and you needed a deck built around cards you aren't used to using, it is possible you don't have the equipment. with over 600 cards and ~2 equipment per card that is a lot of equipment to farm.

Lochar
06-01-2013, 12:29 PM
They've stated that Legendary PvE stuff are going to be chase items. Not everyone is going to spend the time to chase it all down.

Hatts
06-01-2013, 12:31 PM

Those who have more time than money farm, those who have more money than time buy.*

*I think the a 3rd option, do neither is probably the best.

Talreth
06-01-2013, 12:51 PM
But...just buy it with gold..

Avaian
06-01-2013, 12:58 PM
Unlikely that someone would sell Legendary gear for gold.

BlindMan
06-01-2013, 02:38 PM
Unlikely that someone would sell Legendary gear for gold.

I'd agree with this. If there's any chance that people want it badly enough to pay platinum (I believe there is, based on time needed to get it), then people will sell it for platinum.

Aido_Hwedo
06-01-2013, 03:28 PM
Can't the devs make special booster packs that you can buy with gold for but add some code to make the cards in the booster packs non trade-able/unusable in tournaments for people who are really into pve and just wana do casual pve. Such as duels with friends, fake tournaments and stuff like that?

EntropyBall
06-01-2013, 07:32 PM
Can't the devs make special booster packs that you can buy with gold for but add some code to make the cards in the booster packs non trade-able/unusable in tournaments for people who are really into pve and just wana do casual pve. Such as duels with friends, fake tournaments and stuff like that?

They've already created free to play content that is, in their estimation, over 100 hours of gameplay for a single playthrough. They can't just make endless PVE content and not make any money off it. I'm sure they are hoping people who are 'really into PVE' will buy a few packs of cards or buy some platinum to help flesh out their PVE decks.