PDA

View Full Version : need tablet ideas

bizznach
06-01-2013, 05:55 PM
new to the ways of the tablet but am beginning to see the usefulness of them with my job.(i travel ALOT)
is there a reason for chosing one over another apart from size price and space avail?
are they as useful as a laptop?
are they useful AS a laptop?
thanks for some input in advance!

Lazybum
06-01-2013, 05:59 PM
have a off name one that i use now and then when i go out of town for surfing forums and such, dont use it all that much so not sure i can answer all your questions but i do look forward to seeing how this game will run on one

OysterPrime
06-01-2013, 06:06 PM
Personally, I think there are 4 big things to consider when you pick a tablet, and they are:
1.) Operating System
2.) App Catalog
3.) Onboard Storage
4.) Screen Size

I'd personally go with an Android tablet, but that is partially because I love the flexibility of Android and it has the apps I need to use. However, I won't try to pretend that the iPad doesn't have a better selection of apps. Thankfully HEX will be coming to both platforms. But as for your other needs, you'd just have to check to see which platform has the apps you want to use.

You'll also want to be mindful of onboard storage. A lot of tablets do not have expandable storage, so you'll want to pick something that has enough storage for your use. I don't store music locally on my tablet, but movies will take up quite a bit of space. Since you said you'll use it for traveling, getting something with 32GB of storage or more would be helpful.

I'm sure screen size will be a big deal for this game, and movies are easier to watch on a bigger screen. Therefore, an iPad or a 10" Android tablet may be best for you.

And when it comes to usefulness compared to a laptop, I think it depends on what you want to use it for. If you don't want to write documents or play PC games, a tablet may do everything you need.

Also, here are my recommendations for tablets. iOS is an easy choice since you can only choose between the iPad and iPad mini, so choose based on which screen size you want. If you want an Android tablet, go for a Nexus 7 (https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_7_16gb&feature=microsite&hl=en) if you want a smaller screen and the Nexus 10 (https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_10_16gb) if you want a larger screen.

And another thing to consider that I totally forgot about: if you're travelling and you think you'd need it, there are tablets with cellular radios in them. iPads can be purchased that work with AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint, and the Nexus 7 has a model that can work on AT&T and T-Mobile. The data plan per month is extra, though.

Madican
06-01-2013, 06:22 PM
Don't pick an iPad. Ever. You'll be falling into the Apple Cycle, a vicious perpetuation of top-dollar prices for mid-tier quality, not to mention Apple and user-choice never belong in the same sentence.

Android isn't even the other default option. Look around a bit. A Kindle Fire could probably be considered a tablet for instance, or any other non-namebrand choices.

Mysidia
06-01-2013, 06:24 PM
imo, tablet is useful when you are doing stuff like (when talkin bout work related), presenting work, show case stuff, need long battery life, very mobile (always moving from one place to another)
it can replace the laptop if you are mainly using them for such purposes

laptop is much more useful when you need to often create stuff. make excel sheets, powerpoints, coding, stuff which require alot more processing power.

OysterPrime
06-01-2013, 06:27 PM
Don't pick an iPad. Ever. You'll be falling into the Apple Cycle, a vicious perpetuation of top-dollar prices for mid-tier quality, not to mention Apple and user-choice never belong in the same sentence.

Android isn't even the other default option. Look around a bit. A Kindle Fire could probably be considered a tablet for instance, or any other non-namebrand choices. I agree with your opinion of the iPad, but I wanted to present all of the options. I don't buy Apple products at all anymore, but I can't speak for everyone.

And obviously there are other options for operating systems, but since bizznach is posting on the HEX forum, I presented the options that HEX will support. And even though the Kindle Fire and Nook tablets are technically running on Android, there are apps that don't come out on those platforms.

Lazybum
06-01-2013, 06:30 PM
i have an acer tablet, android base think 11.1 inch screen but it has a usb drive on it so i can use thumb drives for extra storage and all

OysterPrime
06-01-2013, 06:34 PM
I am using a Nexus 7 right now and I love it. I also got the 32GB, which is a great value at $250. It only has a 7 inch screen though, so it will be interesting to see how HEX will work on it. I may have to upgrade to whatever 10 inch tablet Google has out at the time.

BlindMan
06-01-2013, 06:39 PM
I also have a Nexus 7, and I really like it. I am budgeting to give myself the option to upgrade to the Nexus 10, if I really like the tablet version of Hex.

Niedar
06-01-2013, 06:54 PM
If you are thinking of buying a Nexus I would probably wait until they do the next version of them.

BlindMan
06-01-2013, 07:02 PM
True, I believe there are rumors of a Nexus 7 update coming soon. Either way, the tablet version won't be here until at LEAST the beta, could be launch or slightly later. I would hold off on any tablet if you are mainly interested for the game.

Niedar
06-01-2013, 07:06 PM
Yeah I agree, also intel has gone full speed ahead into producing chips that consume a lot less power and will be much faster than the ARM chips on the market for tablets. For example the Samsung 10 inch tablet will be using Intel's new chip but wont be release until probably later this year.

Edit: Maybe I am wrong and Samsung will be using an old version of Intel's chip and not the newest architecture which doesn't make much sense to me. I do know they will be going into tablets this year though.

MugenMusou
06-01-2013, 08:05 PM
I had multiple android tablets (Samsung galaxy 10.1, note 10.1, ASUS Infinity), IPad 2, Windows 8 tablet Samsung Ativ Smart PC, and now I own Surface Pro.

It really depends on what you want to do. My suggestion is list up what you really want to do with tablet. No system is perfect, but when you prioritize what's important for you and pick like top 3 criteria, you know which system is the best fit for you.

TheWrathofShane
06-01-2013, 08:15 PM
Always desktop unless you need the mobility of the laptop. Tablet is pure luxury item unless you really need the on the go easy access convenience over the laptop.

bizznach
06-01-2013, 08:17 PM
mostly it will be to game (nothing big) surf,read,and movies.something to pass the time so a bit on the bigger side.all of them except ipads seem to be pretty decently priced so i guess i should look into useful apps i want