PDA

View Full Version : Resource Useage

Xaero
06-01-2013, 06:43 PM
Ok so I've done a search on the forums and can't find a topic about this already as far as I can tell.

My question is why do resource colours matter at all in this game? All cards seem to have a fixed single number cost that doesn't care if you use one colour resource or another, I'm guessing the only prerequisite is that at least one of the same colour as the card you want to play is available but it seems contrived and pointless unless there are dual cost cards.

Maybe I'm missing something and you can correct me as I've only seen a few games played on the twitch stream.

Gwaer
06-01-2013, 06:48 PM
Threshold is the term you need to search for for a vast body on information on this subject. But to give a quick summation, cards can have more than one required threshold, meaning you need to play X Y type resources before you can use it. something with 3 blood threshold means you need to have played 3 blood resource.

Niedar
06-01-2013, 06:49 PM
Threshold doesn't have to only be one. There can be for example a 2 or 3 threshold card which means you will have to have played 3 of those resources before you can play that card. There will also be dual threshold cards probably at a later date.

Xaero
06-01-2013, 07:03 PM
Ah ok thanks for clearing that up guys, the stream with the Human deck made it seem as if it didn't matter what resource type you were using up, but glad to see at least there's more to it than that :)

TheWrathofShane
06-01-2013, 08:56 PM
If you have 6 ruby cards in hand that need 2 ruby threshold..
You have 4 sapphire threshold and 1 ruby.
You play a ruby resource, and now have 2 ruby 4 sapphire.

You may now unload all 6 ruby cards in hand within 6 resource points, and unload the next the following turn.

Make sense?

SenecaTheYounger
06-01-2013, 09:10 PM
If you have a card with 0 resource cost but 2 threshold, do you still need to meet the threshold requirement?

Niedar
06-01-2013, 09:12 PM
Yes, threshold is threshold and resource is resource, in order to play a card you need to meet both requirements.

Niedar
06-01-2013, 09:15 PM
There are cards such as this that don't have a threshold though.

http://hex.potion-of-wit.com/img/cards/fVJ02IG.jpg

Edit: So I tried to find a 0 resources card but they all were cards you could not actually play out of your hand.

SenecaTheYounger
06-01-2013, 09:19 PM
Thanks. :)

That's what I assumed. It adds a layer to the mana screw debates I've been seeing on here. Personally, I'm very much looking forward to the challenge of building decks for this game.

Niedar
06-01-2013, 09:26 PM
Thanks. :)

That's what I assumed. It adds a layer to the mana screw debates I've been seeing on here. Personally, I'm very much looking forward to the challenge of building decks for this game.

Yeah, I mean you can still get mana screwed with this system but its still a little bit better due to you only needing one threshold type and you could play three cards with the same [1] threshold. On the other side, if you are mana flooded, each resource you play increases your charge level which allows you to do special things once it gets to a certain level.

SenecaTheYounger
06-01-2013, 10:07 PM
Right. I guess what I'm thinking is that having a 0 resource cost isn't always precisely 0 if I need to have previously attained the threshold. A MTG analog would be something like Summoner's Pact which I could play without ever playing a land. It's Hex equivalent may require that I played two Wild resources already.

I understand this is entirely hypothetical but it is fun to think about.

EdwardBishop
06-01-2013, 10:18 PM
Lifedrain is also another great example of why Thresholds are awesome... it has 2 blood thresholds but you pay x to life swing for x with an opponent. In MtG, a card would cost 2 swamps and X, meaning you would pay 2 more mana than your x total, while in Hex the card is still limited to a specific resouce, but your full cost paid can be put into x... for the tip of the ice berg there...

alpha5099
06-01-2013, 10:56 PM
Lifedrain is also another great example of why Thresholds are awesome... it has 2 blood thresholds but you pay x to life swing for x with an opponent. In MtG, a card would cost 2 swamps and X, meaning you would pay 2 more mana than your x total, while in Hex the card is still limited to a specific resouce, but your full cost paid can be put into x... for the tip of the ice berg there...

Another card that highlights the difference between resources and threshold is Ruby Lance. 3 Cost, 1 Ruby Threshold, "Deal 1 damage to target troop for each [ruby threshold] you have."

Tyrfang
06-02-2013, 10:24 AM
You can copy those effects in MTG rather easily.

Life Syphon (XB):
Deal 1+X damage to target player and gain 1+X life.

Ruby Lance (2R):
Deal 1 damage for each mountain you control.

Punk
06-02-2013, 10:44 AM
Just a visual aid to help with understanding the threshold:

http://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/HEX_ASSET_07.jpg

Gibblet
06-02-2013, 10:55 AM
Edit: So I tried to find a 0 resources card but they all were cards you could not actually play out of your hand.

Could this be one?

http://hex.potion-of-wit.com/img/cards/SpectralLotus-215x300.png (http://hex.potion-of-wit.com/card.php?c=50)

Gwaer
06-02-2013, 11:03 AM
I believe that spectral lotus is the only 0 resource card, and that cards that reduce resource costs of other cards cannot reduce them below one, as a rule.

Niedar
06-02-2013, 11:53 AM
Yeah, for some reason I could only see the Spectal Lotus garden card which couldn't be played but that's what I was looking for.

Tyrfang
06-02-2013, 11:55 AM
Ninja Training starts off at a 0 cost, with 2 blood threshold.

larryhl
06-02-2013, 11:58 AM
There is that troop, Princess Victoria, where if you reveal her from your starting hand she goes from 3 resource to 0 resource. Void Marauders also have the ability to go down to 0 resource cost. So yes, you can reduce costs below 1 resource.