PDA

View Full Version : Escalation Clarification ...

Jarric
06-01-2013, 07:31 PM
Ok so my buddy and I see this as two different ways. Kinda looking for consensus.

http://hex.potion-of-wit.com/img/cards/Ragefire_Alt_Gear_Web.png (http://hex.potion-of-wit.com/card.php?c=46)

The issue comes when you use the staff.

I read it as not only does it escalate Ragefire it ALSO escalates all other cards with escalate in all your zones.

He reads it as since at the end of staff it says "instead" that it escalates all other cards but NOT Ragefire itself.

Which is the proper interpretation.

Tyrfang
06-01-2013, 07:32 PM
It still should hit Ragefire, that's just to prevent you from getting the Escalation effect twice.

If it didn't say "instead", it would mean you hit Ragefire once with the card, and again with the staff.

Erebus
06-01-2013, 07:34 PM
Instead of it's normal effect, escalate all cards with escalation.

Ragefire is a card with escalation, seems straightforward.

Skirovik
06-01-2013, 07:35 PM
As this card is part of the "each card you own with Escalation in all zones" it will gain the benefits of the staff. However, it won't gain the additional benefit of Escalation from the card.

Just as Tyrfang says, the "instead" prevents it getting the benefit twice. :)

Lazybum
06-01-2013, 07:36 PM
that is a pretty good question, even if it does not escalate this ragefire wouldnt it do it to the rest in your deck and in a round about way still hitting the current one

Jarric
06-01-2013, 07:39 PM
See I never saw it as even possible getting it twice. I saw the staff wording as overwriting the printed cards explanation to read:

Escalation (as this card resolves, shuffle it into your deck. Then double the bold numbers in the text of each card with escalation in your deck, hand, and graveyard)

That is how I saw the Staff changing escalation to. Thus with that wording Ragefire would not see a double benefit.

Skirovik
06-01-2013, 07:41 PM
See I never saw it as even possible getting it twice. I saw the staff wording as overwriting the printed cards explanation to read:

Escalation (as this card resolves, shuffle it into your deck. Then double the bold numbers in the text of each card with escalation in your deck, hand, and graveyard)

That is how I saw the Staff changing escalation to. Thus with that wording Ragefire would not see a double benefit.

Yeah, we know. We just were explaining the "instead" clause in the staff text. This way, you can explain why it says "instead" and what the meaning is so your friend understands how it actually works. :)

Mysidia
06-01-2013, 08:21 PM
i agree with your understanding...
the "instead" here refers to "instead of the original ability, it is being replaced by ......"
so, any card you own with escalation is escalated

Cotton
06-01-2013, 08:25 PM
I've noticed quite a few cards with weird wording, Hope it all gets sorted out by launch.

Tyrfang
06-01-2013, 08:59 PM
I think at some point when they were designing the cards, they switched from writing the cards with the perspective of equipment for cards into equipment for your champion with card effects.