PDA

View Full Version : Just some noob questions!!

nrflorencio
06-02-2013, 05:13 AM
Hi all.

I have played alot of MTG a LOOONNNG time ago.
I played mostly constructed (i think thats how you call it...), so i know jack all about drafting (played maybe a couple of these back then).
Thinking of coming back to TCG's now with HEX.

While reading some posts on the forums i came across some terms that left me in the dark about theyre meaning.

Anyone can explain these:

Rare drafting?

draft and drop?

swiss 3-2-1-1 (or whatever the numbers are)

8-4 ( O.o)

speed/stable??

Thanks all!! :)

Edit: Also, anyone can provide a brief explanation of draft rewards and what kind of draft "competitions" there are?

Verdant
06-02-2013, 05:16 AM
Rare drafting is when you enter draft, pick all the rares coming your way (starting by most expensive or most needed for your own purposes) and then leave. You get the goods, your opponent gets free pass to next round.

nicosharp
06-02-2013, 05:20 AM
Piggy backing on the above:

Draft and drop
is basically the same as Rare Drafting. Except, after the 15-20minutes it takes to do the full draft. You drop the tournament knowing you went for all high value cards, and not a playable 40 card deck. People usually do this in the highest stake draft tournaments as more serious players will be there, and there is a higher chance rares will be passed.

swiss 3-2-1-1 (or whatever the numbers are)
is a draft tournament where you win a pack for every best out of 3 set you win against your opponents. Each standard draft tournament consists of 3 best out of 3 pairings. So you would have the chance to potentially win 3 packs

8-4 ( O.o)
is a draft that is single elimination. If you win your first two best out of 3 rounds, you then will win either 8 or 4 packs in the final best out of 3. This is considered the highest stake draft tournament.

speed/stable??
Not sure what you are asking here.. Are you talking about card keywords... a drafting term, a deck building term?

Shivdaddy
06-02-2013, 09:14 AM
I think speed is haste?

Pentregarth
06-02-2013, 09:41 AM
speed/stable??
Not sure what you are asking here.. Are you talking about card keywords... a drafting term, a deck building term?

Sounds like deck building terms to me, maybe aggro vs control would be better terms...

BlackRoger
06-02-2013, 10:36 AM
Why does everyone assume that the prizes for drafts will be around 11-12 boosters.
The payment from all 8 players ammounts to 8$ at best, which is 4 boosters by their prices.

I know they can make boosters from mid-air, but where are your generous assumptions coming from?
Couldn't find any official statement on this.

jaxsonbateman
06-02-2013, 10:37 AM
Also, the swiss in Hex is probably going to be akin to the swiss in MTGO - that is, 1 pack per win, regardless of where you place.

Then there'll be top 4 draft (which will probably be similar, if not the same as MTGO, and be 4-3-2-2 packs for the top 4 places), and then finally top 2 (which will probably be similar, if not the same as MTGO, and be 8-4 for the top 2 places).

jaxsonbateman
06-02-2013, 10:43 AM
Why does everyone assume that the prizes for drafts will be around 11-12 boosters.
The payment from all 8 players ammounts to 8$ at best, which is 4 boosters by their prices.

I know they can make boosters from mid-air, but where are your generous assumptions coming from?
Couldn't find any official statement on this.
They don't have to 'sell boosters as prizes for a normal amount', as they'll generate more profits by keeping people interested in drafts and keeping on playing, which they do with more prizes. In a swiss with the assumed prize structure only 1 player doesn't have to buy any more boosters, in a top 4 only 2 players don't, and in a top 2 only 2 players don't. So out of those 3 drafts, 13 out of 18 players have to buy more boosters to have another chance at the big prizes.

However, the assumptions are based on educated guesses, not just MTGO.

Swiss has been confirmed to "give players who win at least one match a prize". If we assume that winning at least one match means that a player gets a booster, then it's only fair that players get one booster per win - otherwise, a player that goes 2-1 would win a booster, and a player that goes 1-2 would win a booster, even if the 2-1 player lost in the final and the 1-2 player won their final, lowest ranked match. So with that in mind, the prize structure is 3-2-2-2-1-1-1-0, or 11 boosters.

Then, extrapolating to top 4, the 3rd and 4th place players win a match to get to their semi-final. If they don't get at least 2 boosters, then there's no incentive to play top 4 over the less-risky swiss, as they'd get one booster in that and not lose all chance of booster by being eliminated in the first round. So 3rd and 4th need to get at least 2 boosters each. Second needs to get at least 3 boosters because, again, only 2 would mean that they could play swiss for the same number of wins (2), and not have the risk of losing their first match and getting nothing. And following, top spot needs to be at least 4 boosters for exactly the same reason - if it were 3 or less boosters, they could just play swiss and not have the risk of elimination. Hence, 4-3-2-2 (at a minimum) is a logical extrapolation from swiss.

Then, going further, top 2 would have to be at least 5-4, for the same reasons given above. However, top prize has to be significantly higher to encourage people to risk needing 2 straight wins in order to get anything. Thus, a similar model to MTGO and 8 is not a long stretch.

Derium
06-02-2013, 11:06 AM
If Swiss has been confirmed to a pack per win. then we know there will be 8-4 and 4-3-2-2 drafts. There are 12 boosters for prizes in swiss, 11 for 4-3-2-2- and 12 for 8-4. The only thing we wouldn't know then, is will they have all three styles of draft. This is of course assuming it's an 8 man draft.

This is Crypto, and they do own the WoW TCG, and it has different forms of drafts open to it. So it'll be interesting to see what ones they bring for HEX.

Tyrfang
06-02-2013, 11:10 AM
It would be weird to see other size draft pools, or cube drafting.