PDA

View Full Version : Please allow for time limits on turns..

Mahes
06-02-2013, 06:25 AM
There has to be some sort of time limit setup for PvP turns. One of the most frustrating aspects of playing an online card game against an unknown opponent is when that opponent chooses to not take his/her turn. They either walk away in hopes that the other player will just give up, or something comes up and instead of quitting out, they choose to get up and go do thier thing.

Please place a turn clock into the PvP games. A player should need no more than 60 seconds to make a descision. Part of being great at this game is knowing both your deck and what the opponent might be capable of doing to your deck. Making a descision in an adequate amount of time is part of the skill. What involves no skill at all is the ability to troll the opponent in the hopes that the opponenet will just give up. I would hope that at least this will not be a problem.

Thankyou

Verdant
06-02-2013, 06:27 AM
There already is a limit. Clock on the left side (http://i4.ytimg.com/vi/SfOfGvkdzlI/hqdefault.jpg)

Mahes
06-02-2013, 06:32 AM
Is that for a game or a turn? How long does a player get? Kind of hard to make out that detail.

Verdant
06-02-2013, 06:36 AM
Don't quite remember details. Take a look for yourself on stream (http://www.twitch.tv/hextcg/) ('Videos' tab) or wait until tomorrow for another live session with four new decks.

Lunarath
06-02-2013, 06:37 AM
Doesn't matter too much for me if it's a game like chess or limited per turn.. either works for me.

Gen91
06-02-2013, 06:37 AM
There already is a limit. Clock on the left side (http://i4.ytimg.com/vi/SfOfGvkdzlI/hqdefault.jpg)

Yhea, but this is all the time you have combined.
You could use all 30min for one turn (don't know what happens after that) but still need to w8 30mins cause someone is afk sucks.

Mahes
06-02-2013, 06:42 AM
I think I will be working during the live cast. Perhaps somebody else on the boards could look for me and get a definitive answer. Turn based would be much better than a game based timer. Obviously it can be tweaked for what amount of time is granted.

Indormi
06-02-2013, 06:49 AM
If you stay 3 minutes without performing an action you may be flagged as afk.

Edit:Thinking a bit further, there should be an option to report players after the game for "game staling" and if you get X reports per X games you may recieve a warning or whatever. Similar to the report systems on LOL

SenecaTheYounger
06-02-2013, 07:21 AM
I like 3 minutes much more than the 60 seconds suggested in the OP. I plan on streaming this game and would like the opportunity to discuss possible plays with friends but have been burned by bad sports just like everyone else.

Also, this seems fantastic:

Thinking a bit further, there should be an option to report players after the game for "game staling" and if you get X reports per X games you may recieve a warning or whatever. Similar to the report systems on LOL

Dralon
06-02-2013, 07:39 AM
The turn timer is a good idea, the problem in this format is that it needs to be long enough to account for disconnects that will happen. I think due to that the turn timer would need to be at least 5 minutes, and possibly longer. The team at CZE hopefully are looking in to some form of a limit but base it on the data they see during testing somfarvand over the next few months

Indormi
06-02-2013, 07:41 AM
The turn timer is a good idea, the problem in this format is that it needs to be long enough to account for disconnects that will happen. I think due to that the turn timer would need to be at least 5 minutes, and possibly longer. The team at CZE hopefully are looking in to some form of a limit but base it on the data they see during testing somfarvand over the next few months
I said 3 minutes because that is the time that Cory said that is the time for DC. If you DC you have 3 minutes to log back in.

Edit: I dont mean 3 minutes turn timer, but a 3 minutes "action" timer, if you dont play a card, end your turn phase (example Mian phase 1, combat phase etc) declare attackers/blockers. So that means you could potentially make a turn really really long, but still... sometimes the opponents may play a quick action that makes you think your strategie over, or you just DC.

Still a report feature for staling games is a really good idea to counter this. You sistematically stall? You cant play PvP games in 2 days, or your total timer for the next couple of games is now 20 minutes, you contineue to stall? well 10 minutes... etc

nicosharp
06-02-2013, 07:49 AM
Hi Everyone,

Coming from a bit of competitive play on MTG:O, I must say, their system is pretty good.

What they do is give each player a 25 minute clock for their best of three match. If you are gone for 10 minutes without performing an action, you lose the match. (This does not include sideboard time (2mins per game) draft time and deck building time)

When playing in a Draft or Sealed, you need the 10 minute leeway, just in case something happens.. Trust me, I've needed that time a few times, and had to take drops a few times for valid real world inconveniences. Specially given some tournaments can go over 3 hours to play the entire thing out.. or much much longer than 3 hours if you do the Marathon Hex is talking about.

You also need the 10 minutes because not everyone stands by their computer in-between rounds, while they wait for other players to finish their games. Some single turns take a long time, as many actions happen and need to be thought out. I think the 25minutes per players for a 3 game match is enough. 30 is even better for people new to the genre, but takes more time competitively.

Indormi
06-02-2013, 07:51 AM
Hi Everyone,

Coming from a bit of competitive play on MTG:O, I must say, their system is pretty good.

What they do is give each player a 25 minute clock for their best of three match. If you are gone for 10 minutes without performing an action, you lose the match. (This does not include sideboard time (2mins per game) draft time and deck building time)

When playing in a Draft or Sealed, you need the 10 minute leeway, just in case something happens.. Trust me, I've needed that time a few times, and had to take drops a few times for valid real world inconveniences.

You also need the 10 minutes because not everyone stands by their computer in-between rounds, while they wait for other players to finish their games. Some single turns take a long time, as many actions happen and need to be thought out. I think the 25minutes per players for a 3 game match is enough. 30 is even better for people new to the genre, but takes more time competitively.

Going away between games I think wont be so much on an issue, cause you most probably can ressume your PVE match and when you need to play again in PvP, a pop-up may appear and you just go there. PvE saves every action so you are free to leave and rejoin at a later time

nicosharp
06-02-2013, 07:53 AM
Going away between games I think wont be so much on an issue, cause you most probably can ressume your PVE match and when you need to play again in PvP, a pop-up may appear and you just go there. PvE saves every action so you are free to leave and rejoin at a later time

I mean physically going away from your computer. To do something else with the time. Its nice you can alternate between PvE and PvP, and have that set block of time uninterrupted, but sometimes things need to get done, and that window is a good time to step away.

Niedar
06-02-2013, 07:57 AM
There is another solution to the 25 minute clock for three games or just straight up turn timers and that is a combination of the two. You have a smaller general turn timer and then a certain amount of turn extension time that is depleted over the three matches. The concept is that most turns you don't require that long to think of what action to play but in other cases you might want to think long and hard about it. So if you go past the turn timer it starts counting down from your extension timer.

Indormi
06-02-2013, 08:06 AM
@niedar That is a very nice idea, I like it.

@nicosharp Maybe we can have some middle ground like, when the 2 players are assigned to play together and it is not the first round, you get a pop-up notification telling you, there is a match waiting for you and that if you dont join in the next 5-10 minutes you are out. You get 2 choices, play now, or forfeit (you may minimize this in case you want to end the turn in pve or whatever). So once the game starts you are in. And when you are in whatever method is applyed Niedar, mine or some method in-between

nicosharp
06-02-2013, 08:10 AM
@niedar That is a very nice idea, I like it.

@nicosharp Maybe we can have some middle ground like, when the 2 players are assigned to play together and it is not the first round, you get a pop-up notification telling you, there is a match waiting for you and that if you dont join in the next 5-10 minutes you are out. You get 2 choices, play now, or forfeit (you may minimize this in case you want to end the turn in pve or whatever). So once the game starts you are in. And when you are in whatever method is applyed Niedar, mine or some method in-between

Too many holes in that thinking. Because it extends the round for everyone by an additional 5-10minutes if 1 person is AFK. Basically, the time needs to come off their clock for the round. If it does not, they can stall a entire tournament longer. I guess you could take it off of both of the players clocks if they both don't ready for the round. People need to be offered the luxury to step away for 10minutes when stuck in a 3hour gaming session. It sucks to be on the receiving end of the waiting period, but when you need to take it, it's there for you too. In long matches where my opponent takes too much time, sometimes I need to step away. I need 5 or so minutes mid match.. it can't be helped, but I don't want that time to stall the entire tournament.

Indormi
06-02-2013, 08:17 AM
@nicosharp You are right, but if there is a similar feature like leaverbuster on lol but with game stalling, like I proposed before. If you need to do something or whatever between games you have the option, but if you consistly stall, you are getting your timer reduced further and further... So maybe the first time you need to wait more, but if the person is a consistley staler he does not have the 5-10 minutes to enter the game not he has full game time inside either. Also if the other person is paired with a staller, he still has a normal time to accept, is the other one who has few time and then wait "inside". Once you are inside you get the 3 minute rule or whatever that if you dont play an action in 3 minutes you are flagged afk.

Surely this sistems has loopholes, that I'm sure you can point out and we can all think together ways to improve it even more. and prottect it from "exploiters"

Shivdaddy
06-02-2013, 09:17 AM
The Chess clock on MTGO is about the only thing they do right. Copy and paste it to Hex will be fine.

jai151
06-02-2013, 10:02 AM
On the flip side of this argument, please allow for the optional removal of timers in private matches. I can't tell you how many times I've been playing Duels with friends and because we were talking or trying to teach someone the game the timer ran out and it force ended the turn.

Punk
06-02-2013, 10:04 AM
The clock on the left side of the UI is setup like a Chess Clock. You only have so much time to play cards. When it is not your Priority, your clock stops ticking down and your opponents ticks down until they play their cards or pass.

If you run out of time on your clock, the match ends and you lose.

Talreth
06-02-2013, 10:06 AM
There is already a turn timer, it's in one of the videos idk which one.