PDA

View Full Version : What is sealed??

nrflorencio
06-02-2013, 07:39 AM
As the title says...

I know what draft is and what constructed is... But what is sealed??

ShaolinRaven
06-02-2013, 07:41 AM
Sealed is where you get an unopened starter deck and a few booster packs and you construct a deck from those.

Dralon
06-02-2013, 07:42 AM
Typically it is use of a starter deck and an amount of boosters from a set( often 3) and you then make your deck from that card pool.

nrflorencio
06-02-2013, 07:43 AM
Thank you for the explanation gents :)

tgm0112
06-02-2013, 07:48 AM
By unopened starter decks does that involve it being random among some selection or simply mint?

nicosharp
06-02-2013, 07:58 AM
Just to clarify..
A Sealed tournament often is:
6 packs of a block (or single set - for example 6 packs of set 1, or 2packs set1 - 2packs set2 - 2packs set3)
you open all, keep all, and build a 40 card deck with them.

Sometimes starter decks are involved, but it is not always the case. It is more often the case when a new set is coming out, and the company wants you to experience a specific shards synergies by giving you a starter deck with all the cards from the shard you choose.

alpha5099
06-02-2013, 08:37 AM
If Hex uses the Starter+3 Boosters variants, would we need to bring a brand new Starter deck, or could we use the ones we'll already have, unmodified from how they were when we first opened them, and augment them with those boosters? Depends a bit on if the starters are semi-random or not.

Kroan
06-02-2013, 08:46 AM
I really, really, really hope it will just be 6 boosters for sealed and not some kind of starter deck + 3 boosters. :)

Malicus
06-02-2013, 08:51 AM
Might get a bit complicated if you could use an existing starter deck for a sealed tournament - if prizes are involved you end up with inequity regarding entry costs.

Theoretically unless traded away that opened deck will exist within your collection even if the starters have no random aspect but that isn't really the spirit behind sealed.

The best use of this in my opinion would be as a release option having sealed tournaments including starters and throughout the rest of the cycle using the booster sealed type. Theoretically they could keep up the starter sealed throughout a cycle but it would become progressively harder to fill a tournament as the cycle progresses, the option of using the existing cards from a starter should not exist due to the inequity it would cause (unless the tournament specifically specified use of existing starter so everyone was on same footing).

Punk
06-02-2013, 08:51 AM
Sealed is where you get an unopened starter deck and a few booster packs and you construct a deck from those.

Sealed is typically where you get 6 packs of product from a single set, 3 packs from two different sets or 2 packs from all three sets in a block.

Every card you open you get to keep, and every card you can use to build your deck. The same deck building rules applies as a booster draft except you usually get roughly 10 more minutes for the Deck Construction phase of the event.

A standard Sealed event has nothing to do with a Starter Deck. I think there may be some confusion as Magic: The Gathering used to have 'Tournament Packs' that people called "Starters."

Shivdaddy
06-02-2013, 09:10 AM
Punk is right. Disregard this rest.

Dralon
06-02-2013, 09:49 AM
Some card games would use the default meaning of sealed was with a starter deck and boosters. Lord of the rings, the game I played more of than anything did that. So that is a valid description of sealed.

But yes the use of 6 boosters is the more common way "sealed" is run for most games. And is likely the way it will work here, so that is the more correct description.

Lazybum
06-02-2013, 09:51 AM
have they stated there will be random starter decks? so far i thought there were only going to be themed ones, but i could be wrong. either way done a few sealed mtg drafts in the day and they were usually alot of fun

Punk
06-02-2013, 10:00 AM
Some card games would use the default meaning of sealed was with a starter deck and boosters. Lord of the rings, the game I played more of than anything did that. So that is a valid description of sealed.

The default meaning of the "Sealed Deck" event, otherwise known as the original meaning, was created by Wizards of the Coast. Here is a brief description off their site:

"The Sealed Deck format allows players to use the Magic booster packs they're already buying to play games in a casual or tournament setting. Players simply open six booster packs and build a deck from the cards they opened. Guidelines require a minimum deck size of 40 cards and allow players to add as many basic lands (Plains, Islands, Swamps, Mountains, and Forests) to their card pools as they like. If you're looking for a fun way to increase the size of your Magic collection and play the game at the same time, the Sealed Deck format is for you!"

The Lord of the Rings TCG did not coin this term and it sounds like they made their own interpretation of this format.

Dralon
06-02-2013, 10:11 AM
The Lord of the Rings TCG did not coin this term and it sounds like they made their own interpretation of this format.

Agreed, it is different. SWCCG also had Tournament "sealed Decks", where sealed deck tournaments were done, again different from Magic. Hence the confusion. Hex shares many similarities to Magic, and will likely use the same sealed format, I just haven't seen CZE say for sure.

Punk
06-02-2013, 10:14 AM
Agreed, it is different. SWCCG also had Tournament "sealed Decks", where sealed deck tournaments were done, again different from Magic. Hence the confusion. Hex shares many similarities to Magic, and will likely use the same sealed format, I just haven't seen CZE say for sure.

Personally, I can't wait to see all unique, competitive formats they will have. Marathon, Team and PvE Tournaments are ones I would like to see details on. Specifically Team.